As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hand Painted Mario Brother's Bath Set

rDr4g0nrDr4g0n Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
This is a hand painted ceramic bath set thats been glazed and fired in a kiln. The total project took maybe about 15 to 20 hours of work. There was a lot of fine painting with a brush of about 10 hairs. The toothbrush holder was the first piece that I worked on. It also took me the longest to finish, requiring 3 three hour sessions that ended in being cross eyed. It was my first few times working with glaze paints so it was extremely difficult to determine when there was enough paint to cover evenly, so I do apologize for that.

I used references from original NES sprite sheets and backgrounds. I'd like to continue making pieces like this, but I haven't decided what game I should do next. Also, the amount of work and concentration needed was so so rediculously high, I'm still recovering.

Take a look and please feel free to comment.

Thanks! :)

set.jpg

toothbrushholder.jpg

soapholder.jpg

soapdispenserclose.jpg

closeup.jpg

mariotoothbrushholder2small.jpg

i can actully speell... but im to lazy to sppelchek.
sig.jpg
rDr4g0n on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Those are pretty slick. How did you go about making sure you could screw the cap on that soap container?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    My guess is that the ceramicware itself was mold-made, and that the work was in the painting (which is slick indeed). My only crit is the outline on the fourth leaf down on the left side of the vine of the...soapdish? which is a bit heavy. Nothing some whiteout couldn't fix, though.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yep, crawdaddio is correct. The ceramic was pre-made that way... I just did all the painting.

sharp eyes there crawdaddio :D Unfortunately these have already been glazed, so there really isn't anything I can do to fix the mistakes... Once I've regained enough of my STA meter to create some new ones, I'll will hopefully have gained enough XP that i can put more point in my "steady hands" skill lawls!

rDr4g0n on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd imagine you could probably practice with a set of model paints and...well, pretty much any non-porous surface. I was being a bit facetious about that crit, to be honest; while it's technically possible to correct that tiny gaffe, the additional stress to which it subjects the piece (and hence the chances of it breaking) increase considerably, so that for a blip that small, it wouldn't be worth it.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hahahahah awesome

beavotron on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    love it!

[nitpick]
    you mesed up the flag though, it should not overlap the pole but be adjecent to the left side of it.
    [/nitpick]

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is beautiful.

lyrium on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so this was pre-fired when you bought it? or was it greenware that you painted, then fired?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is an excellent job. The detail is pretty great as well.

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    love it!

[nitpick]
    you mesed up the flag though, it should not overlap the pole but be adjecent to the left side of it.
    [/nitpick]
    I will definately remember this next time I have to paint that flag again.

rDr4g0n on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    so this was pre-fired when you bought it? or was it greenware that you painted, then fired?
    It was bisque, painted, glazed, then fired. The store has a whole bunch of different items to choose from.

:) thanks to all :)

rDr4g0n on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ah, bisque firing. forgot about that. there was a reason i failed both of my ceramics courses.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ah, bisque firing. forgot about that. there was a reason i failed both of my ceramics courses.

Couldn't have been all that bad now could it?

rDr4g0n on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pretty creative. :)

You might want to scale down the pics or put a NSF56k/H-Scroll tag in the title or something though.

Flay on
  • Options
    oysterboyoysterboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Very clever stuff and done well too. My favourite aspect is the side with the 3 warp pipes and the scores and things at the top. Do more of these!!!

oysterboy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oysterboy wrote: »
    Very clever stuff and done well too. My favourite aspect is the side with the 3 warp pipes and the scores and things at the top. Do more of these!!!

I want to do more, they're just SO much WORK.

rDr4g0n on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those are really fun, what a great idea.

Sequoia on