As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [DMC Thread]'s gettin CRAZY!

CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
LET'S ROCK!

Devil May Cry (PS2 2001)

77280658.jpg

The first Devil May Cry started off as a Resident Evil 4 prototype, but Capcom quickly realised that having Leon flip around a castle, beating the shit out of demons with a sword would be badass, but not very Resident Evil-y. A bit of reworking and they retooled it into Devil May Cry, a balls hard action game with a heavy focus on stylish combat. The game follows the story of a demon hunter, Dante, trying to defeat the Demon Lord Mundus, with the 'help' of Trish, a Demon/Woman who looks just like his dead Mum.

Devil May Cry 2 (PS2 2003)

53156030.jpg

In late 2002, Satan - angry with Capcom for daring to attack his manliness by suggesting he might cry - decided to exact his ultimate revenge. The result? Devil May Cry 2, forged out of pure darkness and pressed onto DVDs made from the souls of the damned. DMC 2 boasted amazing features, such as being worse then the original in every way and wussifying Dante. Everyone generally pretends this never happened, Capcom included.

Devil May Cry 3 (PS2 2005)

79697808.jpg

The DMC series was thoroughly redeemed in 2005 with the release of Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. DMC3 contained a fantastic combat system, featuring 6 different fighting styles and on-the-fly weapon switching, along with the most awesome cutscenes in gaming history. A prequel to the original game, DMC3 focused on the relationship between Dante and his brother Vergil, and how they both enjoy kicking the crap out of each other. As an added bonus, this was released around the same time as Resident Evil 4, making me wonder how Capcom managed not to explode from the awesome.

Devil May Cry 4 (PS3/360/PC 2008)

91046315.jpg

Mixing things up a bit, Capcom added new playable character Nero for the fourth installment of the series. Along with the standard sword and handgun, Nero is also packing the 'Demon Bringer', a cool glowy blue arm that lets him toss enemies around and pummel busses mercilessly. Dante's also back, playing much the same as he did in 3, only this time having the ability to change fighting styles on the fly, for even more ridiculous combo potential. DMC4 follows Nero trying to catch Dante, after he kills the leader of the local religious group. Naturally, Pope-Guy turns out to be evil, and hell bent on destroying everything, as you do. Built on Capcom's MT Framework engine, DMC4 is also absolutely gorgous.

So I fucking love the Devil May Cry series. How about you guys? Thoughts? Feelings? Desperate hopes for an announcement of DMC5 at E3?

Time to go to work guys!

sig.gif
Cowbomb on

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just started Devil may cry.

Other than the goddamn static-what-is-this-resident-evil? camera it is hella fun.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Let us all rejoice that there are no more shadow-panther-cat things left in this world.

I'm not sure there has been a standard enemy in this series (any series?) I have feared more.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This reminds me, I never finished 4. I probably should huh...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Let us all rejoice that there are no more shadow-panther-cat things left in this world.

I'm not sure there has been a standard enemy in this series (any series?) I have feared more.

They weren't that bad. The Blitzs (those lightning demons) from DMC4 were worse. They were like fucking mini bosses.

Karl on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i swear to god 4 had no coherent story

i mean at least in 3 you knew where to go, and it was always back the way you came, to fight all the bosses again

Nuzak on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hilights of DMC 4, for me.

-First time I used Nero's devil form to rebound that screen shaking super combined shot two biancos and an alta angelo create when they fired it from offscreen and I was in the middle of wailing on another one. I basically hammered on the thing but focused on the screen shake instead then hit devil trigger at the right time.

-Everytime I do the sword-shuffle move through the fire bosses nova explosion. Works better if you can insta rev cos then his invulnerable frames are longer.

-Getting perfect revs everytime you do Nero's triple spin crowd clearer move and not falling out of the zone until there's nobody left. (I love it when this happens)

-First time I realised you could hit biancos with the sword until they counter you, then buster them in between their counter and their lunge. It's basically a free buster. Poor bastards.

-First time I did devil triggered buster on an alt angelo, a blitz and every boss. Especially the story mode only boss.

-Beating the last boss on hard mode when he did his last ditch super charge zip across the screen move with a reflexive buster counter.

-Similarly, reflexively perfect-royal guarding a red blitzes spinning grab thing. I've never done it again, and it was so bad ass. It cames spinning in and I just hit forward and guard without thinking, then Dante is behind it shaking his hands casually while the thing explodes at his back.

-First time I got to the last boss of the bloody palace with nero, the last boss (dante) opens pandoras box and one shotted me from nearly full health. I got owned.

-The last non boss fight stage of blood palace is always a trip and a half.

There's more but damn I loved dmc4.

I never got around to buying dmc3 special edition.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hated the blitzs. In all honesty though, I felt like DMC3 was the best just because of the sheer difficulty. You really felt good when you beat a boss in that game because it would take you 10 minutes of mashing the attack button.

Burgu on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DMC4 felt like such a step back and dissapointment after 3. I know it's not for everyone, but I fucking loved the shit out of 3 and all it's crazyness. The weapons, moves, and styles just felt so much better in 3 than 4.

I'm hoping Bayonetta lives up to my hopes.

noir_blood on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always liked the devil trigger buster moves for Nero. Especially the one when you nail a depowered Blitz.

Just a constant stream of fists to his face.

Karl on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe I got better, maybe I got older...but I found 3 WAY easier than the original. I think it may have to do with the customizability of styles and weapons, or maybe it was the difficulty readjustments that the Greatest Hits version got, but 3 felt like it had a less steep difficulty curve going on.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My two favourite DMC4 videos:

omgagirlisplayingthis
    Performed by Brea. Her videos make me wonder what ungodly controller setup she uses. I know she uses a PS3 pad, and that automatically makes style switching on Dante 100% easier (fuck the 360's d-pad), but otherwise I'm just perplexed at how she can manage to pull some of the fucking insane shit shown on the video. The laser dodging was the best.

DMD Credo with no damage
    Motherfucker even hits Credo's spear back twice (evidenced by the green orbs) before grabbing it with the DB and piercing Credo with it. Haven't seen any other video do that, but seen plenty of no damage DMDs just DB'ing the spear. This vid came out earlier than any other vid too!

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man.

I hate that the style buttons switch between dark and the default again cyclically.

I'd have prefered an entirely different button because I've lost count how many times I've reflexively hit royal or trickster to dodge and tried to smack death in the face with the sheath of a katana instead. Death is never impressed and always hits back harder.

Damn move should only work from sword style or something because it's not that difficult to just hit a button twice through muscle memory but really annoying to have to pay attention every second or get yourself killed.

Plus, I dunno how to up the style meter with Dante. I've tried to get better at it, but I can only play fast and impossibly vicious or try jump cancelling tricks and this never gives him any style ranks.

Whereas Nero can just sort of sit there and grin and the game gives him SSS.

It IS really cool to jump cancel while switching between slayer and the first hit of sword style though, it took a bit of thought to figure out when I should hit the style button each time but it looks like he's unleashing omnislash or something on them.

I wish that pistols were useful as well, twosometime is useless in bloody palace.

edit: Brea is doing what I'm talking about at 1:41 in that vid.

I think.

I think she's adding in somethign else as well. Pistol shots? I can't tell properly.

Oh shit she's adding in the rose weapon and switching back and forth.

How the fuck is she doing all that, now I want to go figure out how she did it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    With the exception of the cutscenes (which are still pretty cool, but don't even touch the ones in 3), I think 4 is the best one in the series so far. You can pull of some crazy stuff if you get good enough at style switching with Dante, and Nero's arm and Charge Shot 3 give you plenty to work with as well.

And yeah, Blitzs can choke a dick. Fausts annoy the crap out of me too.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2009
    Blitz with nero.

Charge shot 3. to remove shield.

buster -> buster (devil trigger near end) -> devil trigger buster (be charging rose 3) -> charge shot 3 -> taunt -> whatever the fuck you want for the last bit of damage because anything at all will kill it.

For two of them knock ones shield off then switch the camera around and sneak in some busters. It takes longer but its still pretty easy.

For Dante a single blitz is easy to get the shield off if you learn how to cancel the first hit of the gauntlet weapon.

I haven't figured out a sure fire way to kill it after this so I do any old crap (I suck with dante so much :( ) but when he goes red...just keep pounding him with the cancel.
    I swear to god, I kill them just as stress free by not really caring if they go red and just treating them like they have a normal shield on. You end up killing them like this anyway.

IT looks pretty funny, dante just walks in and beats the crap out of them, beats the crap out of them and then when they go super saiyan beats the crap out of them some more!

Fausts with dante are easy: get close, devil trigger, and use pandaros aerial attack. It does shit all to them without devil trigger, with devil trigger their cloak is gone in a few hits. Aerial shotgun nuchuckas work too but is more finicky.

Or you can just open the box, it always knocks off their cloak.

Morninglord on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    4 I thought had the best combat in the series, but I thought the game levels and layout kinda sucked. It didn't help that you repeated the same levels twice, which was just being lazy.

Kyougu on
    edited May 2009
    Goddam the second half of that brea video is just.

Goddam.

Best use of the rose weapon in combos I've ever seen.

And the time one? Amazing. It caught me by surprise.

Morninglord on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only one I don't have is 2, because I heard it was passable. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The PC port of DMC4 is genuinely one of the best ports I've ever played (DMC3 was one one of the worst, but I'll block it from memory if you will). They didn't just nail all the technical aspects like resolution and graphics settings (even proper alt-tabbing), they even added in extras to take advantage of the additional processing power available.

DMC4 is hard locked at 60FPS so they had to work really hard to make sure that number was never broken. On the PC they cut loose a little and implemented Turbo mode, which speeds things up 20% (it makes a huge difference, believe me). But the best was that they also created Legendary Dark Knight mode, which is where they literally flood the screen with huge numbers of monsters. It's awesome. Getting a SSS is usually a breeze but you need to keep moving because if you stop for a second they'll pile on quite quick.

Not the best player but give you an idea what I'm talking about. Watch in HD :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pPP8W7YXE

The four minute mark is a good example. Ordinarily you fight three monsters in there. :lol:

EDIT: I just realised that that first combo video is featuring footage from the PC LDK mode.

EDIT 2: Oh good grief, that video's not sped up she's playing in Turbo mode as well. D:
    If you don't believe me watch the countdown timer in the top left corner on some scenes.

subedii on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The original is still the best for me because of the atmosphere, story and locations. Although I liked DMC4 enough to finish it I can't say I cared for the too easy difficulty and going back with Dante (same as before but even easier!). I appreciate that some people love going back on harder difficulties and mastering the combo system (which I don't particularly care for although I enjoy watching youtube vids of it) but I'd rather just have a well tuned experience the first time through and for that DMC1 can't be beat. I really hope Capcom have learned from DMC4's shortcomings if as expected a DMC5 is in the works.

Moioink on
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    The original is still the best for me because of the atmosphere, story and locations. Although I liked DMC4 enough to finish it I can't say I cared for the too easy difficulty and going back with Dante (same as before but even easier!). I appreciate that some people love going back on harder difficulties and mastering the combo system (which I don't particularly care for although I enjoy watching youtube vids of it) but I'd rather just have a well tuned experience the first time through and for that DMC1 can't be beat. I really hope Capcom have learned from DMC4's shortcomings if as expected a DMC5 is in the works.

DMC4 was meant to introduce new people to the series, which is why they brought in a new main character and storyline, together with the amazingly useful and friendly "Buster" grappling move. The thing is, catering to the purely hardcore fans would only really result a shrinking or stagnant fanbase. The game's easy on Normal if you're familiar to the series, but that's really not the case for anyone new to it.

Being new to the series, it worked really well for me. Normal difficulty was pretty tough for me to make it through on my first playthrough, but I managed. After that I worked my way all the way up to Hell or Hell, which is pretty groovy. This is also the reason I find it far easier to play with Nero than Dante. They're two different styles of character, and whilst series vets are more used to Dante, I'm more used to how Nero works.

I can pretty much devastate Bloody Palace now, at least as Nero

subedii on
    edited May 2009
    That would be okay if Son of Sparda (I think that's the next one up) was available from the start. It wasn't. I am by no means a good DMC player (I am just very used to the controls and combat system) yet only fighting against Dante was tough, even the dreaded Blitz is a joke on normal.

Moioink on
    edited May 2009
    That would be okay if Son of Sparda (I think that's the next one up) was available from the start. It wasn't. I am by no means a good DMC player (I am just very used to the controls and combat system) yet only fighting against Dante was tough, even the dreaded Blitz is a joke on normal.

Personally I've never really understood the concept of keeping difficulty levels locked up either. If someone needs a tougher game to have that challenge, why not let them play it?

subedii on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    4 was the first game in the series I played and I decided to get 3 because I liked it. Holy shit is 3 a lot harder than 4.

I had played through 4 on Human with no problems and after that on Devil Hunter with only a few deaths. In 3 there were parts where I died a lot of times before being successful, playing on Normal. I had to use items almost constantly when I almost never did in 4.

Peewi on
    edited May 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    4 was the first game in the series I played and I decided to get 3 because I liked it. Holy shit is 3 a lot harder than 4.

I had played through 4 on Human with no problems and after that on Devil Hunter with only a few deaths. In 3 there were parts where I died a lot of times before being successful, playing on Normal. I had to use items almost constantly when I almost never did in 4.

From what I've heard, DMC4 is about as hard or slightly harder than 3 on the highest difficulty. I guess it's just a case of working your way up there in either game really.

subedii on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The first game had the best-balanced combat and best enemy design as well as the best atmosphere.
    Plus the mock-seriousness was funnier than the deliberate camp of 3.

3's difficulty was enjoyable, though.

Xagarath on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OP needs some Nocturne.

smt3-dantea.jpg

I've never played a DMC proper, considering checking out 3 at some point.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Best balanced combat? Stinger/grenaderoll spam was ridiculous in that game.. and the DT-only moves (along with DT health regen... fuggedaboutit) . Also considering the fact that guns automatically killed your combo meter made combat not nearly as awesome as it got later on in the series.

Although my favorite is DMC1 hands down, basically due to the enemies the player fights. DMC3 had an amazing combat system, but the enemies were so gddamn boring to fight. Chess pieces? Blood goyles? Enigmas? worst evaaaar

DMC4 had some very nice enemies though. I LOVE fighting Angelo groups.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    subedii wrote: »

DMC4 was meant to introduce new people to the series, which is why they brought in a new main character and storyline, together with the amazingly useful and friendly "Buster" grappling move. The thing is, catering to the purely hardcore fans would only really result a shrinking or stagnant fanbase. The game's easy on Normal if you're familiar to the series, but that's really not the case for anyone new to it.

Being new to the series, it worked really well for me. Normal difficulty was pretty tough for me to make it through on my first playthrough, but I managed. After that I worked my way all the way up to Hell or Hell, which is pretty groovy. This is also the reason I find it far easier to play with Nero than Dante. They're two different styles of character, and whilst series vets are more used to Dante, I'm more used to how Nero works.

I can pretty much devastate Bloody Palace now, at least as Nero

Echo this. I played a bit of DMC1 but have only beaten 4. I have no problems playing the game as Nero but I find Dante extremely awkward to use - especially when style-switching is needed. I'm only about 4 missions away from S-Ranking DMD mode but I cannot for the life of me deal reliably with Blitzes. On Hell or Hell I have problems with frosts during Dante sequences because of all the projectiles flying around. I've tried watching some vids to get a better grasp of how he plays, but most of the videos are too fast for me to decipher what's going on.

Nero, on the other hand, feels right. It feels like his moves have some oomph and the Buster is great for crowd control, whereas Dante feels like a peashooter, even when you pull off a Distorted Real Impact. I really want to go back to the game and round out the achievements, but I'm too wary of the effort it's going to take to get better.

edit: olol Dark Soul with Light!

Szechuan on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My first exposure to this game was DMC4 on the PC - but I just used my keyboard. It isn't actually that bad, I started on Devil Hunter and I didn't feel the keyboard was a particular impediment.

Maybe I'm just weird. although I would have preferred to be able to use my mouse and keyboard >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a huge soft spot for tragic sibling relationships, so DMC 3 touched me in a special place, even with all the camp. <3 that game.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DMC4 is the only one I've played/own. I prefer Dante because he has waaayyy more moves but the buster is just so damn good I find playing as Nero easier.

One of the main reason I like the buster is being able to pull an enemy over so you can start fighting quicker, my combos as Dante often suffer because moving between each enemy took too long.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Played all the Devil May Cry games, and it's a great series. Granted I'm no God-Of-Combo-Death but I can beat the games on hard with usually an A or S style rank.

I know a lot of people hated 4, but honestly, I thought the story was more of a "This is what Dante usually does, he beats up demon-gods and makes them cry like girls." Dante was never really challenged, and I sort of thought that was the point. It's Nero who had to prove himself, not Dante.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3 was by far the best one. Everything it did was epic, and the Vergil storyline? Vergil is probably one of the coolest game characters ever.

They fucking better bring him back for 5. He was in concept art for 4 but he never made an appearance which made me sad.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Moioink on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only thing I truly missed from DMC1 were the Shadows. They were amazing enemies at the time, and the accompanying 'sirens' music was also perfect for the situation.

[edit]Oh hell, DMC1's music was amazing all round. Sorta techno with gothic bits. Far better than DMC3's offering, I only liked the theme, the Dante office opening cutscene tune and the Virgil fights.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTT

Nuzak on
    edited May 2009

D:

I never played DMC1.

Holy Shit.

Morninglord on
    edited May 2009
    My first exposure to this game was DMC4 on the PC - but I just used my keyboard. It isn't actually that bad, I started on Devil Hunter and I didn't feel the keyboard was a particular impediment.

Maybe I'm just weird. although I would have preferred to be able to use my mouse and keyboard >.<

Well I can't see any feasible way of bringing a mouse into the game. But having tried it myself, I have to agree that the keyboard works surprisingly well. I mean, I still prefer using a gamepad, but once you've gotten used to it and configured your keys, the keyboard's pretty manageable.

subedii on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it true that Nocturne's Dante is based off his DMC2 incarnation? He seemed pretty deadly to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wibod on