As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [DMC Thread]'s gettin CRAZY!

• Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    CJ: It is.

[edit]Y'know, I only ever got a gory death in DMC1 once and it wasn't even that bad (I think it was from a Marionette), so to see that video was pretty distressing, Kyklops eating Dante with crunchy noises D:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In the intro of 4 Nero sticks his sword in the ground and revs it up in one of the cutscenes. Right after that Dante does a similar hand movement on his sword. I didn't notice it the first time I played it, but I think it's a neat detail.

Peewi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish there was a Boss Rush mode in DMC4, or even just the option to re-visit specific boss fights. Those were my favourite parts of the game, taking down towering opponents with style.

Favourite one was probably the fight with Credo, that felt less like a boss fight, more like a duel.

subedii on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I wish there was a Boss Rush mode in DMC4, or even just the option to re-visit specific boss fights. Those were my favourite parts of the game, taking down towering opponents with style.

Favourite one was probably the fight with Credo, that felt less like a boss fight, more like a duel.

Yes, that fight was badass.

Especially using the Devil Bringer to just mess him up.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DMC1 is still by far my favorite in the series.

Graviija on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    4 was the first game in the series I played and I decided to get 3 because I liked it. Holy shit is 3 a lot harder than 4.

I had played through 4 on Human with no problems and after that on Devil Hunter with only a few deaths. In 3 there were parts where I died a lot of times before being successful, playing on Normal. I had to use items almost constantly when I almost never did in 4.

From what I've heard, DMC4 is about as hard or slightly harder than 3 on the highest difficulty. I guess it's just a case of working your way up there in either game really.
    3 is much harder than 4. I'd compare 4's DMD to 3's Very Hard. 3 is also the better game, but not by much.

Matter of fact, I really need to finish 4 on DMD. I think I just started through Dante's levels. I find it funny that I spend the entirety of every playthrough of the Nero portion of the game waiting for the part where I can play Dante and actually pull some awesome combos, then I actually hit Dante's segment. "Do I really have to relearn the combat system? Planning my next move in the combo? Switching weapons, and before I need to use them? Argh, Styles!? It's so deep and this is going to take forever! I suck so hard. Man, I miss Nero and his fire sword and busting."

My father has my PS2 at the moment (much to my dismay), but, among other games on that system, I haven't finished 3 on DMD either. Never could figure out how to fight enigmas properly, so that one DT enigma rape room in mission 4 was way past the limits of my skill level. Would probably help if I managed to not suck at royal guard or jump cancelling. Would also probably help if I wasn't morally opposed to rebinding my controls.

Actually, I also never finished the first game. I think I got to the first boss, but going into that game after playing 3 I found that the lack of moves at the beginning, the zany tankish non-configurable control setup, and the camera that robbed me of all depth perception made the game practically unplayable. I did watch through accountingnightmare's SA LP of it, which hit me with a lot of "oh, that's how you're supposed to play this game," so I'll probably go back to it at some point. If I ever get my PS2 back. You and your baseball games, Dad! *fistshake*

And I'm hoping irrationally for a DMC5 announcement at E3. Does they really want to let everybody gush about Bayonetta unchecked? Because I totally will. Your move, Capcom.

Monger on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In the intro of 4 Nero sticks his sword in the ground and revs it up in one of the cutscenes. Right after that Dante does a similar hand movement on his sword. I didn't notice it the first time I played it, but I think it's a neat detail.

Almost everything Dante does towards Nero in a cutscene when they are fighting is a taunt.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

A friend showed me the opening once, and I remember it being ridiculously cheesy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I tried to play DMC1, I really did, but it just feels so clumsy after playing a shitload of DMC3.

The controls are completely different and you cannot customize them however you want. There is also a lot less moves, so it felt harder to fight. I still managed to get about 1/3rd through it before I gave up.
    I also watched a friend play through the whole thing in an afternoon so I knew what happened anyway.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A friend showed me the opening once, and I remember it being ridiculously cheesy.
    Welcome to Devil May Cry.

And if you think DMC1 is cheesy, DMC3 will made curds fly out of your every orifice.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, holy shit at that Brea video. That is far and away the best DMC4 gameplay I've ever seen. And the only time I've seen someone do something with Nero that was worth a damn. The mock quicksilver bit was brilliant.

The only thing I've seen that made me smile that much was a guy juggling two scarecrows by throwing roses, and I guess the really early video with drop kicking the Angelo energy ball. But those were both novelty.

edit:

Welcome to Devil May Cry.

And if you think DMC1 is cheesy, DMC3 will made curds fly out of your every orifice.
    For reference, there is a slow motion in-sleeve camera when Dante puts on his trenchcoat. This is one of the least absurd bits of cinematic.

Monger on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah monger there is a bit where a frost goes sailing away from her then suddenly rebounds as if she bustered it. But she was using dante.

I'm like WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED and replayed that multiple times. I'm pretty sure she timed a rose spike detonation, which is something I had started playing with but for me mostly ended up with them splodering out of the combo.

So goddam creative.

There's not a whole lot you can do with Nero though, dante is where the neat stuff is at.

I loved the bit where Dante does the spinning pistol move over one side of the enemy, continues, then comes back over again. Those combos are just a pleasure to watch.

Does anybody have any tips for SSSing with dante that doesn't involve royal guard?

I dunno, but staying alive doesn't seem to do the trick because they're all dead and I haven't repeated anymoves, haven't been touched and dante is barely halfway to SSS.

This is in the same situation where, eg, Nero hits SSS on the second monster and guitar solos his way through the rest of the pack.

It's really hurting my blood palace runs.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wibod on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah monger there is a bit where a frost goes sailing away from her then suddenly rebounds as if she bustered it. But she was using dante.

I'm like WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED and replayed that multiple times. I'm pretty sure she timed a rose spike detonation, which is something I had started playing with but for me mostly ended up with them splodering out of the combo.
    Watch it again. It's really subtle, but once you notice it, it will blow your mind.
    She throws two Lucifer swords out below the frost while she's juggling it, then knocks it back into one of them, which explodes, bouncing it right back into her helm breaker.
    So goddam creative.
    So, this basically.

Monger on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those of you who haven't played Nocturne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uyvzoa9YdQ

Awesome fight.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Monger wrote: »

Watch it again. It's really subtle, but once you notice it, it will blow your mind.
    She throws two Lucifer swords out below the frost while she's juggling it, then knocks it back into one of them, which explodes, bouncing it right back into her helm breaker.
    So goddam creative.
    So, this basically.

Mind.

Blown.

I lolled so hard when she used the shotgun to blow it into the second charged sword in the dante room juggle. I was like geddaaaaouuuttaaa here that's awesome.

Brea-sensei. Teach me how to play this japanese game! *kowtow*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And I'm hoping irrationally for a DMC5 announcement at E3. Does they really want to let everybody gush about Bayonetta unchecked? Because I totally will. Your move, Capcom.

Unfortunately Capcom has said that Devil May Cry 5 is not something that will be shown at E3.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Unfortunately Capcom has said that Devil May Cry 5 is not something that will be shown at E3.
    They were lying gotta keep the hype in check y'know big surprise announcement blow your pants off LALALALALA SHUT UP CAN'T HEAR YOU.
    :cry:

Monger on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Aw man, seriously? I was hoping in my own naive way that they would - my hopes are dashed :(

Edit: Speaking of a potential DMC5, how do you guys feel they should continue the series? Should Nero become a permanent playable character, or should they ditch him?

Personally, I'd quite like a similar set-up to how 4 did it, only for the focus to shift back to Dante, and have Nero as the 'supporting' character instead of the other way round. Two seperate storylines would be nice too, if a bit unrealistic to hope for.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For reference, there is a slow motion in-sleeve camera when Dante puts on his trenchcoat. This is one of the least absurd bits of cinematic.

And then he sneezes :lol:

One of the neat touches in DMC3 is that in every opening cutscene for each mission, there is the mission number hidden in it. Some are obvious, others are pretty hard to find (I think 17 was really tough for me, the one where Virgil sees Lady in the library? I can't remember).

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Are we discussing DMC cutscenes and cheese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdzyIrd89U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0SgQ6SE-ZQ

(use HD for both)

I love legitimate theatre.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I guess it carries over to Nocturne, seeing as how he descends from a 300 story building and lands without a scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edej773pNBw&feature=related

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't believe no one has brought this up yet.

Manly men is manly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWvKx1x1pk

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kind of funny that Dante winds up working for Lucifer in Nocturne.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was thinking of that one when I watched subedii's, good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPrx62QDiA

I really love this starting fight.

Dante just takes the piss out of him all damn day and Nero is getting angrier and angrier.

I love both characters.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My favourite thing about the DMC universe is how all the demons are frictionless, allowing you to surf their bodies around concrete floors.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

Aw man, seriously? I was hoping in my own naive way that they would - my hopes are dashed :(

Edit: Speaking of a potential DMC5, how do you guys feel they should continue the series? Should Nero become a permanent playable character, or should they ditch him?

Personally, I'd quite like a similar set-up to how 4 did it, only for the focus to shift back to Dante, and have Nero as the 'supporting' character instead of the other way round. Two seperate storylines would be nice too, if a bit unrealistic to hope for.

I wouldn't mind either way as long as there isn't any retreading like in 4.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When someone mentioned Nero air guitaring I didn't know that was actually in the game. I'm in bloody Palace right now and hit the taunt button right after finishing off the last enemy and he started doing it and it looks like he'll never stop on his own. Better go on to the next level.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When someone mentioned Nero air guitaring I didn't know that was actually in the game. I'm in bloody Palace right now and hit the taunt button right after finishing off the last enemy and he started doing it and it looks like he'll never stop on his own. Better go on to the next level.

Yeah he'll keep doing it. IIRC different taunts give different benefits.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

By different benefits do you mean different animations?

The only benefit is keeping up your combo meter.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got through DMC4 when it came out over here in the PAL region on release day. Blitzed through it and had a laugh, but the setpieces got old kinda fast. Gameplay was top-notch, although I can imagine for people watching, they've either got their jaws on the floor in awe of what you're doing, or (if you're watching me play) bored out of your skull for repeating the same handful of moves that keep the combo meter going, but isn't that impressive to watch.

Played DMC3 for an entire summer, and that game was fucking amazing. Best in the series, in my opinion. Fun, fast, hard, and a pretty good story. Plus, the chemistry between Dante and Vergil was pitch-perfect.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Okay.

On your first blitz.

Just do this I know it's a repeat of previous instructions but do this it's worth it.

First up take off it's shield with level 3 charged blue rose.

Then run up and buster it, hammer the style button until it pops out, then runup and buster it again as soon as it lands. Middle of this buster, hit devil trigger button. When it pops out, run up, and devil buster it. Start charging blue rose now, but don't let go or do any extra devil trigger phantom swords. Mash that buster button, do the whole thing (We want precision amount of damage here, not style). Don't move when it pops out this time, just wait till it lands at the place you would have bustered it, then let go of blue rose and hit it with the full blast It'll bowl it over and do phantom swords.

Soon as it starts charging to go red, target it, shoot it once with anything at all and hit taunt.

If all goes right, you will get either the safe taunt or the guitar taunt.

If you get the guitar taunt the first giant swing strum will do its slow arcingupswing to the background of a blitz exploding and showering you with orbs.

It's definitely not the most stylish way to kill them.

But I love that moment.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

Hmm, I seem to remember reading some taunts could also raise your health a little, or your DT charge. Guess I was thinking of something else.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm pretty sure that at least some of the taunts add to your devil trigger meter.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hmm, I seem to remember reading some taunts could also raise your health a little, or your DT charge. Guess I was thinking of something else.

If you wanna get like super technical, you can taunt corpses (ie everything is dead but the corpses remain) and you still get some devil trigger. It's possible if you are in a pinch and there's a tough fight coming up, to cancel a taunt with a gunshot and then taunt and then keep doing this to get lots of devil trigger before the corpse decays.

That's probably what you are trying to remember.

Both Dante and Nero have a taunt that fills it up gradually and more and more the longer the taunt is allowed to go on. I think the guitar is one of them, that crouch down "come on" animation for dante is another. Both of these are bad when trying to do this because you don't get much devil trigger before the demon corpse vanishes.

That's the reason why some are better than others.

Oh and the BANG taunt perfectly syncs with the secondary explosion of blue rose 3 if you hit taunt straight after firing the first shot. He'll go bang and they'll explode. Lots of Nero's taunts sync well, I wish you could always rely on a specific taunt at a certain style level instead of having a 50% chance of two.

I like all his taunts except the first one. :P

"HEY HEY HEY HEY!"

Thread prompted me to start another Bloody Palace Nero run for old times sake. So much fun. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Morninglord, your immense knowledge of DMC4 scares me. I had no idea that the taunts were related to your style level, I thought it was related to what enemies you're currently fighting, but this Youtube video I've found seems to agree with you.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Morninglord, your immense knowledge of DMC4 scares me. I had no idea that the taunts were related to your style level, I thought it was related to what enemies you're currently fighting, but this Youtube video I've found seems to agree with you.
    Specifically, there's two taunts per style level, and which one of the two plays is chosen randomly, which is what MorningLord is complaining about. Well, for Nero at least. I don't remember all of Dante's taunts, but I'm pretty sure his only SSS one is the laughing one.

I didn't know the DT refill on taunts came at the beginning, though. I thought it kicked in at the end like the style bonus. Weird and awesome.

Another interesting factoid is that there's a number of animations that don't end, which is one of my favorite little touches. Nero's two SSS taunts have been mentioned already. His slash-pause-mashslash combo ends with him resting his sword on his shoulder, which sticks. Dante's animation after he gets hit is probably the one people are least likely to notice. If you get hit by an enemy and knocked back, then wait till after he's gotten up (when the controls kick in again), he'll stretch and hop around a bit to psyche himself back up. It's actually pretty cool.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So if I pick up DMC3 having not played 1(I know 2 doesn't exist), will I be missing anything?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So if I pick up DMC3 having not played 1(I know 2 doesn't exist), will I be missing anything?
    No. There's connections between 1 and 3, but nothing relevant to enjoying the game and nothing that can't be found on youtube if you really want to know.

Monger on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3 does set up 1 rather nicely. It's a pleasure to see Capcom able to show how Dante got from 3 to 1 with such great execution. It's just a shame RE0 didn't set up RE1 as well. You can actually see Dante progress as a character through 3, while RE0 just ends with
    "Hey! A mansion! Oh, bye Billy!"

Dunxco on