As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to get this computer to recognize a new GPU

Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
I am helping my friend install a new graphics card in his computer. It's working fine, but it won't register that there's a new card in the computer, so we can't install drivers and stuff. Also, he can't get the resolution the way he likes. The card in question is a Geforce 9800 GT, if that helps. Also his "p" key is broken so you have to press ctrl+v every time to write a p, and it sucks.

Spoom182 on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    I am helping my friend install a new graphics card in his computer. It's working fine, but it won't register that there's a new card in the computer, so we can't install drivers and stuff. Also, he can't get the resolution the way he likes. The card in question is a Geforce 9800 GT, if that helps. Also his "p" key is broken so you have to press ctrl+v every time to write a p, and it sucks.

I probably would've bought a new keyboard before a new graphics card.

What OS are you using? What does it say under Device Manager and Display Adapter?

Esh on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does his motherboard have onboard video? Might need to disable that in BIOS to detect the new card.

grrarg on