As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quo - Cloning Macs starting June 1

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
quo_270x269.jpg
Engadget wrote:
Mac clone maker Psystar may have finally ran up against a wall, but it looks like its tale hasn't dissuaded upstart Quo Computer, which is now planning to open a retail store in the Los Angeles area that'll sell some as yet unspecified Mac clones. While that'll apparently be a relatively small operation initially, the company's founder, Rashantha De Silva, does seems to have some fairly grand plans for it, with him telling CNET News that they are "trying to stay as close to Apple as we can with our products," and that he hopes Apple "sees the value in what we are doing." Of course, that's about as likely to happen as Woz staying awake during a Palm talk, and De Silva isn't completely unrealistic about the situation, adding that they'll "probably" get sued. Nevertheless, the store is supposedly set to open on June 1st, and the company is apparently aiming to have pricing start at less than $900.
CNet wrote:
The idea of creating a Mac clone complete with Mac OS X is not a new concept. However, one company is taking its entry into the clone market a step further by opening a retail store in the Los Angeles area.

The new Quo Computer, set to go on sale next week.
(Credit: Quo Computer)

Quo Computer plans to open its first retail location, selling Mac clones, on June 1. This is the first time that I'm aware of that a clone maker will have a storefront to sell its wares. Mac clone companies, to this point, have chosen to sell their systems exclusively on the Web.

"It's exciting. We are trying to stay as close to Apple as we can with our products," Rashantha De Silva, Quo founder, told CNET News. "We are trying to mimic things as much as we can. I'm hoping that Apple sees the value in what we are doing."

Apple was not immediately available for comment on Quo's endeavors.

Apple's approach to dealing with Mac clones to this point has been far from understanding. The company has a long history of protecting its intellectual property and industrial designs through the courts--just ask troubled clone maker Psystar. That's not lost on De Silva.

"They probably will (sue us)," De Silva said. "There are others doing this, but we have a different attitude. There are thousands of people in the 'Hackintosh' market, but many of them are creating bad products. I don't think anyone wins in that environment."

It's this attitude of selling a high-quality product--albeit cheaper than Apple's offerings--that De Silva hopes will appeal to consumers. Quo vows top-notch support for its customers too.

"Our customer service is gong to be up there with Apple's," De Silva said. "Hardware is important, software is important, and support is hugely important."

Quo's systems will come with Mac OS X Leopard preinstalled. You have to agree to the license when ordering the computer for them to install the operating system. But this brings up a longstanding issue between Apple and clone makers.

Apple's end-user license agreement, or EULA, forbids exactly what the clone makers are doing--installing Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

"This license allows you to install, use, and run one (1) copy of the Apple software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time," the EULA reads. "You agree not to install, use, or run the Apple software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so."

This is the argument Apple lawyers used to sue Psystar for selling Mac clones over the Web. Apple and Psystar were scheduled to start their trial in November, but Psystar filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this week.

Even with previous clone failures, De Silva is marching on. To start, Quo will offer three desktop systems: the Life Q, Pro Q, and Max Q. While details of the components are not yet available, De Silva said they are looking at Apple's system configurations for guidance.

Pricing has also not been finalized on the desktop machines, but the company is looking to start pricing at less than $900.

While Quo is starting off with the desktop machines, De Silva said it is looking at offering an Apple TV-like media server and a smaller computer similar to the Mac Mini. Plans on those systems have not been finalized.

In addition to having its retail location and Web-ordering system to ship systems worldwide, De Silva said Quo also wants to be involved in the local community and schools. He hopes to work with school boards to get computers in the hands of children and teachers.

De Silva, a Mac user since 1984, said Quo will help switch PC users to the Mac and feels that ultimately, it will help Apple increase its market share. It remains to be seen if Apple will feel the same way.

The Quo Web site is being worked on now and is set to launch next week. The retail store, located at 2401 West Main Street, Alhambra, Calif., will open for business on June 1.

So, want to run OSX on a machine but don't want to buy a Mac? I suggest getting there as the doors open June 1, because I don't think Apple is going to let them go for very long..

Why don't these clone companies just sell the boxes and a boot disc that allows OSX to install on it? That way, they are just selling hardware with some bundled software and they aren't breaking any EULA, and letting the buyer handle that part.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm amazed Pystar went bankrupt prior to trial.

This new company better have the beef to withstand the unstoppable might of zealous corporate lawyers.

Jasconius on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    An actual store? They got balls, this will be interesting.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So, want to run OSX on a machine but don't want to buy a Mac? I suggest getting there as the doors open June 1, because I don't think Apple is going to let them go for very long..

Why don't these clone companies just sell the boxes and a boot disc that allows OSX to install on it? That way, they are just selling hardware with some bundled software and they aren't breaking any EULA, and letting the buyer handle that part.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just match their specs and build the computer yourself? That way when Quo inevitably gets sued into oblivion you don't lose your warranty. I'm assuming of course that Quo is not using any proprietary/custom hardware.

Clipse on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm actually a bit surprised Apple sells their OS if they have that kind of a clause in it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, unlike the "Mac Gamer" commercial, I imagine some people actually do buy it and upgrade their current computer, rather than throwing it away and buying a new one. :)

Does anyone live near where the store is going to open up?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I've read at least 1 billion times on the internets that "EULA's have never been tested in court" often with skepticism express about whether they would be. I have no idea if that is true but does Apple's case against these clone makers rest on just the EULA or do they have to circumvent something in the bios or whatever that could come under the DMCA?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That depends. There are hardware addons that will allow you to use unmodified retail OSX discs on non-Apple computers. I wouldn't think the DMCA would be involved there, but I'm also not entirely clear exactly how they work--I think they show up as a bootable device and then once booted emulate EFI, allowing OSX discs to boot normally. The discs floating around the net that intentionally circumvent Apple's various protection schemes are obviously DMCA violations. I don't know how Psystar did things, but I imagine Quo won't be different enough to escape Apple's wrath.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Apple's case usually involves many other things that are easier to win with than the EULA. I think in Psystar's case it was the first time that the EULA had actually been brought up in court.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I've read at least 1 billion times on the internets that "EULA's have never been tested in court" often with skepticism express about whether they would be. I have no idea if that is true but does Apple's case against these clone makers rest on just the EULA or do they have to circumvent something in the bios or whatever that could come under the DMCA?

Well, the thing in my mind is that there's nothing really stopping a company like this one, legally, from selling a computer that is pre-configured to have OSX run on it, and just sending you a separate sealed box of OSX and letting you do the work yourself.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

Well, the thing in my mind is that there's nothing really stopping a company like this one, legally, from selling a computer that is pre-configured to have OSX run on it, and just sending you a separate sealed box of OSX and letting you do the work yourself.

Pretty much. The problem starts when they pre-load OSX on it for you. That is what is getting all these companies in trouble.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    They aren't going to do shit.

They're opening a retail store tomorrow, but as of Friday did not have specs available or finalized on any of their products?

Sure. Okay.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Why is it so hard to just buy a god damn genuine Mac

if you're looking for a totally customizable machine you shouldn't even be considering OS X or Macs anyway.

Obs on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    Because some people dont want to spend thousands of dollars for a god damn genuine Mac when they can purchase an equally powered machine for much less.

Unknown User on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Because some people dont want to spend thousands of dollars for a god damn genuine Mac when they can purchase an equally powered machine for much less.

But this company is threatening the pretentious behavior of Apple and their fan base.

I particularly enjoy this article.

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/today_good_day_get_sued

Lucky Cynic on
    edited May 2009

Then do so.

And put Windows on it.

Obs on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »

Then do so.

And put Windows on it.

Or don't, and instead put OSX on it, and not have to shell out extra money for aesthetic appeal of a computer case.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

if you're looking for a totally customizable machine you shouldn't even be considering OS X or Macs anyway.

We've come to a point in time where people, when confronted by a specific budget, want to buy a computer for a specific purpose, often times with specific features. That reasonable intention should not discount them from operating a Mac OS--since it's already going to keep them from buying from Apple. For the most part, those two are one in the same, however.

Other companies do it. They've been doing it for decades. The only way around this is to change people's perceptions so that they understand Macs are not computers so much as they are electronic things you buy and don't modify. Like cellular phones. Trying to sell a computer like that is tantamount to offering a line of shoes in one size and color.

This could really help the popularity of Mac OS. Too bad it'll never last, and Apple will shut their ass down the first chance they actually look like they might be onto something economically viable. Or that it has zero chance of succeeding overseas. Want your custom Mac in Germany? Have fun importing it, as Apple tries to shut down the manufacturer.

I honestly don't see the whole moral dilemma of putting a legitimately-purchased Mac OS on a computer. Thanks to Apple, there sure as hell will be some technical dilemmas, but it's not a crime against nature or something.

Synthesis on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Septus wrote: »

Then do so.

And put Windows on it.

Or don't, and instead put OSX on it, and not have to shell out extra money for aesthetic appeal of a computer case.

I would probably buy a desktop mac if you could easily replace say the graphics card, memory, hard drive etc without breaking some stupid warranty. Currently the only way to do that is to buy the massively overpriced Mac Pro. Apple used to have a desktop mac class (Powermac) but now your only cheapish options are either the underpowered mac mini or the iMac. Both of which you can't really replace the graphics card etc.

If Apple released say a line focused towards the tech heads, gamers etc there'd probably be some decent sales. If memory serves you still can't use pc graphics cards in current macs. (at least under OSX and without flashing the card firmware) Which seems stupid.

I actually own a Macbook and Macbook Pro btw. And I am getting tempted to try some of the hackintosh stuff on my desktop pc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

We've come to a point in time where people, when confronted by a specific budget, want to buy a computer for a specific purpose, often times with specific features. That reasonable intention should not discount them from operating a Mac OS--since it's already going to keep them from buying from Apple. For the most part, those two are one in the same, however.

Other companies do it. They've been doing it for decades. The only way around this is to change people's perceptions so that they understand Macs are not computers so much as they are electronic things you buy and don't modify. Like cellular phones. Trying to sell a computer like that is tantamount to offering a line of shoes in one size and color.

This could really help the popularity of Mac OS. Too bad it'll never last, and Apple will shut their ass down the first chance they actually look like they might be onto something economically viable. Or that it has zero chance of succeeding overseas. Want your custom Mac in Germany? Have fun importing it, as Apple tries to shut down the manufacturer.

I honestly don't see the whole moral dilemma of putting a legitimately-purchased Mac OS on a computer. Thanks to Apple, there sure as hell will be some technical dilemmas, but it's not a crime against nature or something.

You're buying osx not the computer, that is a true statement.
    Like it or not - all hippy open source bullshit aside - is that Apple owns OSX and if they don't want to license it then that's their right.

I am open standards, open source as much as the next guy... but OSX is a whole different thing. It's a polished and complete project that runs on one of my many macs. I don't have to fuck with it . I don't want to fuck with it. I have spent all day trying to get windows 7 to do a task... it's annoying as shit that it won't run a suite of command line programs that ran perfectly fine under windows xp or windows 7 on a VM.

SAME COMPUTER suddenly can't complete a task when presented with a simple clean windows install.

Seriously, apple has it right - people who scream to run it on any hacked together machine just don't understand. Fuck tweaking, celebrate actually using a complete os/hardware combo to get shit done in real life.

useless4 on
    edited May 2009
    Uh.

So what does not being able to use the same command line in different version of Windows have to do with what hardware OSX runs on? If you were complaining about driver issues you might have a point.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    useless4 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

You're buying osx not the computer, that is a true statement.
    Like it or not - all hippy open source bullshit aside - is that Apple owns OSX and if they don't want to license it then that's their right.

I am open standards, open source as much as the next guy... but OSX is a whole different thing. It's a polished and complete project that runs on one of my many macs. I don't have to fuck with it . I don't want to fuck with it. I have spent all day trying to get windows 7 to do a task... it's annoying as shit that it won't run a suite of command line programs that ran perfectly fine under windows xp or windows 7 on a VM.

SAME COMPUTER suddenly can't complete a task when presented with a simple clean windows install.

Seriously, apple has it right - people who scream to run it on any hacked together machine just don't understand. Fuck tweaking, celebrate actually using a complete os/hardware combo to get shit done in real life.

This is probably why Mac will remain in the minority of usage, in that case.

Does Mac have the legal right? Sure, why not. I have no idea.

I also know that since they sell their OS on Amazon for $120, they're just begging for people to do it. It's only natural to laugh when they come around, full circle, with "Buuuuuuut you were only supposed to install it on one of ouuuuuuuur computers."

I just don't see the moral dilemma in them trying. They gave Apple real, actual money for the software, right? They don't work for Apple, so it's not as though they have some sort of contractual agreement. Or do they? I won't do it, because Mac OS--and by definition, all of Apple's computers will not efficiently do what I use computers for (if they will do it at all). And that's with the benefit of Bootcamp. Maybe I just don't see the evil if people having multiple options.

I guess it goes back to Apple's cornerstone philosophy of More Options = Bad because Consumers = Stupid. o_O

Synthesis on
    edited June 2009
    Apple is a hardware company.

There is pretty much no point in selling OSX by itself, that's not their goal or business model.

Obs on
    edited June 2009

There is pretty much no point in selling OSX by itself, that's not their goal or business model.

What hardware does Apple even make? Did you just admit that Apple is all about the cases?

Anyway, the fact that Apple's business model is predicated on not having any direct competition doesn't by itself make cloning bad or illegal

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009

What hardware does Apple even make? Did you just admit that Apple is all about the cases?

Anyway, the fact that Apple's business model is predicated on not having any direct competition doesn't by itself make cloning bad or illegal

iPhones, iPods, iMacs, Macbooks, Displays, Mac Pros, etc. That's the kind of shit they sell for a living.

Obs on
    edited June 2009
    You do realize that most of the hardware inside of all of those are actually made by other companies right?

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    Irrelevant.

Obs on
    edited June 2009
    No, you're just wrong.

Unknown User on
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    obs, I actually see your point and agree with you, but dismissive one-word replies don't exactly hel--

oh, what the fuck am I doing

anyway, yeah, apple are a hardware company. or, at worst, a "design" company. their business is designing and selling hardware, and while they do sell retail copies of OS X, anyone who thinks that's a sustainable business model for apple is a moron.

... unless, I suppose, they go the microsoft route and actually implement some sort of anti-piracy measures or registration keys on their OS, and sell it for two to three times the price

Baron Dirigible on
    edited June 2009
    Apple is like Nike. They sell a variety of things that fit together under a specific branding. People buy Apple products because they either want the branding, they want the compatibility, or both.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2009
    obs, I actually see your point and agree with you, but dismissive one-word replies don't exactly hel--

anyway, yeah, apple are a hardware company. or, at worst, a "design" company. their business is designing and selling hardware, and while they do sell retail copies of OS X, anyone who thinks that's a sustainable business model for apple is a moron.

... unless, I suppose, they go the microsoft route and actually implement some sort of anti-piracy measures or registration keys on their OS, and sell it for two to three times the price

Could Apple sell Macs that ran Vista? Could they sell iPods without iTunes? They aren't really a hardware or a software company.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009

Could Apple sell Macs that ran Vista? Could they sell iPods without iTunes? They aren't really a hardware or a software company.

Yes, Apple could sells Macs that come with Vista bootcamp ready.

Obs on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He means no OSX and just Vista.
    Which no one would buy so no.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited June 2009

correction: for ran Vista read run only Vista.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009

Why the fuck would they do that

There is already a market for shitty Vista computers

Obs on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Exactly, the attraction is the hardware.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited June 2009

You might want to think about what you are saying before you post. Or not.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    That's their point, Obs. No one with any sense would buy a Mac just to run some version of Windows since you can get something roughly comparable (but not exactly equivalent) for less from HP, Dell, et al. Likewise, without iPods, no one would use iTunes. Thus, they're both a software and hardware company. To compare, Microsoft makes some hardware (e.g. mice and keyboards) in addition to their software (Windows, Office, Visual Studio, etc), but their business is mainly software. The HPs of the world primarily sell hardware and electronics, but they also product some software (mostly to support their own products of course).

Anyway, to get back to the point I'll just mention that Apple has gone down the Mac clone path before in the 90's and it nearly killed the company. Jobs quickly took care of that problem when he returned to the company. I think they've learned their lesson and aren't about to try it again. Perhaps they learned the wrong lesson (maybe they should find a way to make money on the software without the crutch of Apple hardware rather than lock out competitors completely), but oh well.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He asked for hardware that Apple makes, not sells.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
    edited June 2009
    So you're arguing that because they don't manufacture every piece of the devices they sell they aren't a hardware company? Dell, HP, Sony, etc do the same thing--they buy motherboards, processors, graphics chipsets, and so on from other companies and assemble them into finished computers.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the point is that their hardware is no more special than the next computer, apart from formfactor. They don't cast a magic spell at the factory to somehow make Apple branded computers more capable of running the OS than any other machine built from the same parts. And since those parts are largely available off-the-shelf for half the price I think it's pretty reasonable to want a cheaper machine running the same OS, just as one might choose a Dell instead of a Sony.

Azio on