As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    brainstorming for the challenge

http://i39.tinypic.com/2q2qwwj.jpg

But Iruka will have the fanciest hat of all.

Also, those dinosaurs are pretty great DMAC. I want to draw dinosaurs.

Flay on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    monstermanstarlevelledtcopy.jpg

just can't seem to simplify this, and I think the shadows cast are all wrong but I can't seem to properly place them, any help? it's supposed to look like it's lit from below but it really dosen't

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    paintover.jpg

a quick paintover. may not be exactly correct, since most of your forms are very ambiguous ans i couldn't figure out which ones were pointing which way, and therefore cast shadows may be incorrect. hope this helps though

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DMAC wrote: »
    Maybe not "cute" but kid-friendly.

They look like toy concepts. Pretty rad.

They make me think of the toys on Wash's consoles in Serenity. "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    is that your shooting animation in your avatar?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Scaled down by almost half, but yeah. I made some pretty serious changes to the game's setup story, because the game's powerup system was really hard to logically account for. I suddenly felt like "magic revolver" was a bit too hokey, so I came up with a sort of hybrid revolver/energy weapon based loosely on a Mare's Leg pistol. I probably shouldn't think of it as a "Wild West" setting anymore (edit: Not that "in a cave" is particularly wild west either), it's closer to the sort of world-moved-on (I really hesitate to call it post-apocalyptic) setting of the first part of The Gunslinger.

I'll edit in the full size sprite momentarily.

Edit: Firing.gif

Muzzle flash is a particle effect in the game engine. I'm also going to have a tween frame between standing and firing. Also, the single pixel shifts look better at 12fps.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    My main crit with that gun is that it would seem most handheld guns allow for a straight wrist (which I'm guessing deals better with recoil, and is possibly more intuitive to aim); the barrel of your gun seems to require the guy to hold it with an odd and seemingly uncomfortable/unnatural grip. Though take that with the grain of salt that comes from a guy with virtually no weapon experience at all, drawing or otherwise.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The grip is similar to (ha ha) a pet hair remover I have at home. It's actually not terribly uncomfortable, it seems similar to how you hold a rapier.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    you need more of a transition between standing and shooting, particularly in the back arm. it just appears.

also, show the effects of recoil and animate the character, don't just slide the art back and forth.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »

Scaled down by almost half, but yeah. I made some pretty serious changes to the game's setup story, because the game's powerup system was really hard to logically account for. I suddenly felt like "magic revolver" was a bit too hokey, so I came up with a sort of hybrid revolver/energy weapon based loosely on a Mare's Leg pistol. I probably shouldn't think of it as a "Wild West" setting anymore (edit: Not that "in a cave" is particularly wild west either), it's closer to the sort of world-moved-on (I really hesitate to call it post-apocalyptic) setting of the first part of The Gunslinger.

I'll edit in the full size sprite momentarily.

Edit: Firing.gif

Muzzle flash is a particle effect in the game engine. I'm also going to have a tween frame between standing and firing. Also, the single pixel shifts look better at 12fps.

yeah that's definitely not how you would aim and fire a gun - rather, a remote control or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xce_c0Glhoc

skip the first 20 seconds. i don't know how accurate this is, but its torchwood, so watch it - its good for you.

love the darktower reference btw.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That video was... hmm. hmm.

I know I'm getting dangerously close to "overly defensive justification here", so let me know if I pass into that dark place. But it is an energy weapon - I'm not sure that a gun that can simultaneously shoot lightning, fire and homing lasers would have much recoil. And it's not a pistol, it's closer to a small version of this: http://www.mooremilitaria.com/M79.jpg or this: http://maresleg.com/joshr.jpg.

I'm more concerned with tweening to and from standing, and I haven't even started the jump animation, which will also have a "firing" version.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I woudn't say it's overly defensive, no; however, recoil or no (and I assumed recoil mainly because of the movement of his arm), it still doesn't seem quite right as a gun grip. Once again, this is coming from someone who knows little about guns, so grain of salt, but it would seem having your wrist in a decidedly less natural/relaxed position has two negative consequences outside of recoil: first being that it would be more strenuous on the tendons and the carpal tunnel to squeeze the trigger repeatedly in that sort of position (the sort of thing those crazy sideways mouse people talk about); second, and more speculative on my part, that it doesn't seem as natural a way to aim; it would seem part of the reason for guns to have developed to be held they way they are is because aiming them is as natural as pointing, and your design sort of goes contrary to that.

Then again, I may well be full of shit.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    no, craw- you're totally right. guns, bows and arrows, and crossbows, all have been held pretty much the same way for a reason, and what you have is uncomfortable and counter-intuitive.

also, there needs to be recoil. you have a masculine character, he needs a masculine weapon. What you have is the stun gun a sorority girl carries in her purse. Give it some visual presence, have him hold his arm straight to deal with the force of the gun, and give it some recoil visible in the tensing of the legs for stabilization, maybe a little jump from the elbow forward right after the blast, the shirt fabric flapping from the air being forced back etc. I would look at the gun tutorial that Gibs made and design your weapon using that information instead of "it's science fiction, so let's ditch the science and go with all fiction."

you really need to work on fluidity in your sprites, they are very stiff and your animation has a cut-paper-doll feel to it. check out the sprite rips here -specifically those from garou: mark of the wolves. notice how none of the limbs move in a 2-dimensional plane, and how very little of the sprites remain the same from to frame to frame.

EDIT: also check the Last Blade sprites, they're of an equal quality.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    both the weapons you posted as reference have shallow angled grips because they're both two-handed weapons. They are designed to be held comfortably into the shoulder, rather then as hold-out weapons like pistols.

9809Aiming_M79-blackend.JPG

redhawkhand.jpg

I think a big problem with your animation is the overall posture of the shooter, rather then the actual weapon itself (there are a few shallow-gripped revolvers iirc). It really does look like he's using a TV remote, or a wimpy taser stun gun. He's just so casual about the whole process. He's not aiming down the sights, and he's not shooting from the hip, its just sort of a weird in between. What little recoil there is, is going straight back, which certainly does NOT happen with pistols (always knocks the weapon upwards). And in his idle stance he's still holding the gun completely horizontally, which look very awkward.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am not so good with pastels.

Nightcrawler.jpg

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    skele4copy.jpg

*sigh*

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

(nightcrawler)

oil pastels? how are you using them?

I find that they work well to put down smaller patterns of the available hues and then blend with a brush and paint thinner to get the colors you want.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh Gibs, you and your guns.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah....

yeah.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

(nightcrawler)

oil pastels? how are you using them?

I find that they work well to put down smaller patterns of the available hues and then blend with a brush and paint thinner to get the colors you want.

Thanks! I will definitely have to try that sometime. I am extremely literal when it comes to coloring in general, so with pastels, I think very much along the lines of "color in da pictarrr".

melting_doll on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Miso- Your characters are really cool and you're good at making them, but at this point I'm interested in seeing them in some sort of scene/background. Mostly because I want to see the twisted worlds that these twisted beings live in, but it would probably be good practice for you too :P

In the meantime, little armored girls look up to their older armored brothers.

summer0910color.jpg

I got really tired when doing the boy so he looks... :(

lyrium on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    In the meantime, little armored girls look up to their older armored brothers.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/lyrium/summer0910color.jpg

I got really tired when doing the boy so he looks... :(

This concept is pretty cool. I think the girl's staring at her brother's amazing feat of standing despite lacking kneecaps.
    misosoup wrote: »

I really like that! His forehead, eyes and nose seem really well defined (though the nose is a little odd). But I agree some background would help. Not necessarily something pictorial, but something less bland. Also, you're showing some pixels.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah....
    I think I was going for those simple bendy legs but since it doesn't match anything else in the picture it just looks dumb. It's just a doodle but I fixed it anyway.

summer0910color2.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It might make more sense to armor the legs and arms like lobster appendages.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They were intended to look more like costumes than actual functional protective gear.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oh right, ok

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man this place is slow- it's like a Sunday afternoon or something

more brainstorming

2qiusyw.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for all the previous comments, I threw a texture down in the background and got rid of those pesky pixels.

Stretchwretch.jpg

another I just did, going to start on a piece with an environment now methinks, as has been suggested.

Tam, that genie hamster looks awesome.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Some traditional things i've been working on:

dscf4535.jpg
    dscf4537.jpg
    dscf4913.jpg
    dscf4866z.jpg

sharky t on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SkullBeetle.png

Edit: httpfail

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tam i'm liking ur clean linework. keep it up!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    swizzleflatsdone.jpg

I will stop floodin the doodle thread soon, it's been a pretty productive day though.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    omg a genie chinchilla

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tam, sketches are awesome man. Especially Lyrium, SO CUTE DAMMIT!

Delzhand: Sweet man! I've been drawing a lot of hercules scarabs lately for work. Like your adaptation :^:

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GabbyBookmark.jpg

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    design.jpg

Character design sketch of the main character of my comic. Silhouette's kind of boring, but it's a modern-day setting and i wanted to see what kind of tattoos he might have.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Holy crap, that is one wide ribcage

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    dang, i'll fix that shortly

any other crits

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    his legs look pretty long to me

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    His legs are ginormo, yeah. way too long. Also his jeans don't make much sense. they're snug around the waist, baloon mid-leg and then taper again at the ankle. They're rockin' the whole parachute pants/mc hammer pants thing right now. The glasses tucked into his pocket are tiiiiiny. Try putting them in scale: if he were to put those on his face, would they fit? as it is now they don't.
    What is he wearing on his forearm?

RubberAC on
This discussion has been closed.