As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's been a while

LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys and girls. Before I go any further with this sort of visual joke is it to lame? I plan on making this a 'art.. use it wisely' sort of thing. I dont know what the title will be yet but i think its kind of turning out allot lamer than i first thought
girldragon.jpg

Leggraphics on

• Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have no idea what's going on. Please give a little more explanation.

goggles on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ahh ok sorry. basically when its done. there is a sign that says botanic park and the girl has a marker and crossed out botanic and wrote jurrasic and she is looking all innocent and stuff and there is a trex behind her coming up to get her. With the moto something along the lines of art. use it wisely or... something like that

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's a raptor, not a T-Rex. You should have watched the movie my friend.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is the T-rex imaginary? So is this like the girl "used art" and magically a dinosaur appeared?

goggles on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I understand the concept you are striving for, but I don't think that set up really sells what you're trying to say with the motto chosen.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    the idea im trying to portray is that art can be powerful and used wisely. And yes the Trex/ Dino thingy.. I didnt base it on much apart from memory. Its kind of a cross bread I think lol.. anyway I think the setup kind of takes the piss a bit. I will try for a more serious looking setup

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't need to be more serious, I just don't think this imagery communicates your message very well. For starters, crossing off a word and scribbling in a new one isn't art, it's vandalism.

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Mars- The vandalism was the idea. Ill go back to the drawing board lol.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh oh oh I have an idea

If you used fairly desaturated, pulled-back values for the entire scene, and then kept the marker and the T-Rex the same vibrant color. So it's like, linking the two together and it makes your message more clear methinks.

robotsintheskies on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    how come you make a new thread for everything you do?
    just stick with one thread, and bump it up if you must, but i'm pretty sure your last one is still on this page, near the bottom.

it keeps other artist's threads from being bumped off the page, so much, y'know? kinda unwritten forum etiquette.

and yeah dawg, thar be a raptor, not a rex.
    use references.

beavotron on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If we are going on about what type of dinosaur it is... well I feel I must be rather anal and point out that in addition to it not really looking like a t-rex.... it doesn't really look like a raptor either. Raptors have changed quite a bit with recent research. Hell, they changed WHILE the Jurassic Park movie was being made.

Specifically, 'velociraptors' from the movie were anything but - actual velociraptors were about the size of a small turkey. The largest raptor, the utahraptor, was actually probably slightly larger than the ones in the movie. The other significant change is that raptors are known to have had feathers.

Uh, carry on.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Beav- thanks for the heads up I wont use new threads anymore.

Robotsinth- Thats a good idea. I likes it like emphasize the not real part of it. But I think I have a new idea for it anyway :D

also.. guys.. who cares what sort of dinosaur it is lol.. I didn't mean for it to look like a T-rex or a raptor really. just some dinosaur looking thing. no-one really knows exactly what they look like and things like Jurassic park were only created on an educated guess. Why just copy what they have created. I understand most people have seen and loved Jurassic park so they will be like ohh noo.. thats not what it looked like in Jurassic Park but for all we know they could of had purple skin or something. We just have the bone structure and an educated guess on how muscles attach to bone in animals alive today.

Anyway.. I have a new idea Ill draw it and post it when i get home :)

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the fact that the sign SAYS Jurassic Park implies that the dinosaur is intended to be from the movie/s. You dug your own ditch here.

And all I'm getting from the image is that this girl renamed the park because it has a dinosaur in it. Like she walked by, saw this dinosaur sticking up, read the sign, then changed it to something more appropriate.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really don't get this at all. If your theme is using art wisely, you need to do more brainstorming. Even something like she drew a dinosaur and her drawing came alive and is eating someone, that would make more sense. Is the message supposed to be that she wrote Jurasic (sp) on the sign and then a dinosaur appeared? Cause that's really not working for me.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah thats what my next idea is. An artist painting on a canvas and the painting coming out and biting the hand of the artist.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And are you still trying to convey a message?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, you're dirty and sweet
    Clad in black, don't look back, and I love you
    You're dirty and sweet, oh yeah
    Well, you're slim and you're weak
    You got the teeth of the hydra upon you
    You're dirty, sweet and you're my girl

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Just draw a picture of a great work of art being used for something asinine.

A dude wiping his ass with the Mona Lisa

Obs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah I still will try to portray a message about art. Probably 'bringing imagination to life'

mm Ill think about it during the day. I just had a break at work and went to the book store and bought that 'drawing on the right side of your brain book' so i am working through that right now :).

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I understand the message you are going for, Art is a strong medium, and can be influential both positively and negatively, but I don't think you've got any strong imagery to convey that message.

The first artist that springs to mind in regards to the message you are trying to get across is John Heartfield. He subverted a lot of Nazi imagery during the 1930s, 1940s in an effort to undermine the effect of propaganda on the public.

This is exactly two ideologies of art clashing heads together, much in the same manner you are trying to get across in your message. I just don't think you've really concocted an "intelligent argument" yet.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It kinda looks like the sign reads "Jurassic Rape"

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    raptor sketch. I am going to think about the idea for the other project a little longer.
    raptor_head_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ugh okay, leggraphics, I was just watching for a long while wondering if you would catch on, but I really really really really really really think you aren't approaching how to learn to draw properly. Like..... you are using photoshop in the exact way that other people resent using photoshop because of its "crutch like" capabilities to slowly shape and mold a thing.

You really should just stop using photoshop. Buy like 3 sketchbooks (thats what the normal amount people use every few months right?) and startttt drawinggg with a pencilll, It's like, learning to draw with photoshop is about the same as trying to learn with oil painting, its really slow in practicing fundamentals because of its molding qualities, you can learn over time but its so ridiculously slow in comparison to sketching a drawing out that you can't change which really shows you your flaws.

This is the exact reason why my thread has very little photoshop work until recently and even then its only like 10-15 minute sketches of figures, and speaking of threads, what beavotron said, stop making new threads please. It's just, ugh, take a sketchbook and just start drawing and then critically look over your sketches and think "what is actually wrong with this now that I can't change it"

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun I do draw on paper almost every day. And I find it hard to read but I am reading through books like loomis and re-reading sections. Today I bought that using the right side of your brain book and am going through that which is just paper work. I usually dont post pencil drawn stuff however. because I have issues drawing with the angle of my head. Like I draw looking diagonally down on the paper so when its photographed flat it looks stretched out. I do practice on paper but Probably not enough

I find it allot easier to sketch on computer and allot of my sketches I dont finish up or render. I will do some more pencil stuff. Can you please point me in the right direction study wise?

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That anatomy is all fucked up.

In fact I think that boob should probably not even be there.

Obs on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was about to say that too Obs....I think she needs a mastectomy :(. It hurts to say that.

Edit: Guess she left and made an appointment with her Dr. It reminded me I need one with mine.

Leg: Don't take your stuff down...only a few of us even saw it. I don't think it would've been that bad had the breast not been so awkward.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah sorry I just had a nap woke up and was fairly horrified as to what I had done. I cant even believe myself that I couldn't see the differences between the photo ref and the girl. the face was just mush and the back was at the wrong angle. I took it down its just crap. I needa sleep more I think. I think ive taken a huge downfall or something recently.

Gosh it was a horrible drawing :(

I stare at screens way to long at work and at home. Im gona listen to loom and try to avoid as much computer screen as i can for a while.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    you are using photoshop in the exact way that other people resent using photoshop because of its "crutch like" capabilities to slowly shape and mold a thing.

Wait what?

Not that his work doesn't have problems, but painting sculpturally is a completely valid way to do art "properly".

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beyond working on drawing I think you should probably work on your attitude as well. As long as you're actively working to not repeat the same mistakes over and over, every drawing will get you closer to where you want to be.

The people you see who are really good, probably had a hundred or thousand times as many crappy drawings than you've made. But that's how many it's taken to get somewhere good. Seriously, just as a really easy(lazy) example since we're on the PA site...look at the archives, I'm sure you have.
    1st comic
    19981118h.jpg

1 year
    19991119.jpg

2 years
    20001117h.jpg

5 years
    20031117h.gif

I won't go on because I'm lazy. Honestly though...I think as an artist Mike progressed fairly slow, but I will say the archives seem very consistent, there don't seem to be any large gaps of no comics.

Anyway...you can't get stuck being all upset and "I can't believe I posted that, it was so awful!" Just keep making and learning from your bad drawings so you can eventually make good drawings. If it's something you really want you'll make it happen, and if not you can always be in that limbo of 'I wanna be an artist but I don't know how'.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get it on! Bang a gong! Get it on!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    you are using photoshop in the exact way that other people resent using photoshop because of its "crutch like" capabilities to slowly shape and mold a thing.

Wait what?

Not that his work doesn't have problems, but painting sculpturally is a completely valid way to do art "properly".

Generally its something to create a finished peice, you don't really learn as much when you do this, I never said it was really a invalid form of art just the fact that if you are learning the basics still this isn't something you should be using.
    Loomdun I do draw on paper almost every day. And I find it hard to read but I am reading through books like loomis and re-reading sections. Today I bought that using the right side of your brain book and am going through that which is just paper work. I usually dont post pencil drawn stuff however. because I have issues drawing with the angle of my head. Like I draw looking diagonally down on the paper so when its photographed flat it looks stretched out. I do practice on paper but Probably not enough

I find it allot easier to sketch on computer and allot of my sketches I dont finish up or render. I will do some more pencil stuff. Can you please point me in the right direction study wise?

While I may not be at all great on these forums I do at least know what to generally focus on, your drawings have a very muddled shade feel probably because your still trying to work out the drawing and make it look right rather then think of detail. And this will constantly happen until you get a better grasp on the basics.

A lot of figuring out what to improve on is generally up to you to draw a lot and then study over and see what your doing wrong, but if there was going to be anywhere to start, it would be trying to draw simple figures and different poses. Possibly even stick figures. I dont think you saw my old thread but thats generally were I began.

Also I hear the "using your right side of the brain book" is shitty, you don't really need it. The fact that your having issues drawing things such as angles on the head with pencil is a sign of flaw that easily gets hidden when photoshop is used massively.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdum - I agree with most of what you are saying. Photoshop can certainly hinder one's artistic development. It makes it too easy to let the program do the work vs. you working the program. Moreover I think Legg's problem is his workflow. He's trying to run before learning to walk. Before diving into values and complex pieces basic anatomy problems need to be addressed.

Legg -There are no shortcuts to the top. First gesture drawings..do them...ALOT of them. 30 seconds a piece focus on fluidity and line control. The goal would be to understand the anatomy of the body, but also how each body part relates to one another in size and distance apart. No color no rendering, these should be glorified stick figures. How do the hips relate to shoulders depending on the stance? How far do the arms extend. Realize that most dynamic poses contain fore-shorting and often skew a limb. Draw these, it will help combat static poses and alleviate rigidity. Refs are good, but it's important to be able to do these without refs as well, that will show you whether or not your understanding what you're drawing or just copying. For faces check out idrawgirls.com no matter what the face he always starts out with the same basic structure, and general guidelines ie. the distance between the eyes is roughly the same as the width of the eye, how wide the mouth should be, where do the ears hit. Again, it's one thing to be able to draw an eye or nose, but understanding how these elements relate to other parts of the face is key to a good face. It's a long road bud, I've been doing this seriously for 10+ years and would consider myself a novice at best. Practice does make perfect, but one first needs to know how to practice.

Drawing enviro's? Learn perspective. It's tedious, it's hard, it feels like math...BUT every piece you do should have utilized some aspect of perspective. Break out the rulers!

Also in regards to "Drawing on the Right.." it's a good book for understanding relationships, but I didn't find it especially helpful. The exercise about drawing something upside down was clever, and did help out with identifying shapes in complex compositions.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah sorry I just had a nap woke up and was fairly horrified as to what I had done. I cant even believe myself that I couldn't see the differences between the photo ref and the girl. the face was just mush and the back was at the wrong angle. I took it down its just crap. I needa sleep more I think. I think ive taken a huge downfall or something recently.

Gosh it was a horrible drawing :(

I stare at screens way to long at work and at home. Im gona listen to loom and try to avoid as much computer screen as i can for a while.

Hey man don't beat yourself the fuck up

can we see the reference, we can compare it with your drawing to see where you could improve.

Obs on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah Legg, don't go killing yourself over it. Leave your pieces of shit up, they inspire you to better things. Hell, I downright hate the thing I put in the Fancy Hat challenge, it an embarassment to all that is fancy, but it spurs me on to suck less.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ok. So I started off doing some basic shapes and lighting today using shadows and pencil on its side. I made an effort not to define shapes before i started defining area if that makes sense. I did a bit of reading before starting which told me stuff like dont think of the shape just draw/ shade what needs to be shadded in the shapes that need to be shaded. Anyway. I did that and I also did a page of drawing without looking at the paper. I also googled drawing exercises and it came up with drawing with your non preferred hand as it activates differnt areas of your brain. I did a page of drawing with my left hand which I will post when I get home. by the time I got to the 4th or 5th drawing my hand actually started moving properly and using my 'off' hand made me think about the lines going in before I moved my hand more so than I normally do.

I cant do stick figure/pose drawing at work as I really want to use references for those and I cant really do that at work. And yeah I am getting frustrated pretty quickly these days which sucks because I dont get enough sleep and I'm always tired. Im so keen to progress my drawing I'm sacrificing allot of sleep.

Tim- Idrawgirls.com is what got me into drawing in the first place lol. It was the first concept sort of drawing website I had come across by accident and was like wow i want to do that.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do not be afraid to post what you might think is "bad" art. We are here to help you improve. The PA:AC is often full of brisk criticisms, but being blunt is the best way to get people to listen.

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ok so shape studies, These are only a couple of them. I was trying to concentrate on light and form rather than lines
    IMG.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg

and my left handed (non-preferred hand) drawings. These were challenging. I listed the order I did them as I think i got better when it came to doing the last two being the flowers. The face is a bit wonkey. It really made me think more about putting the strokes down which might help me break bad habbits and develop hopefully good new ones.

Once again I have been trying to avoid lines and just draw shape. Thats what I was sugested to do earlier on by someone on this forum anyway. I kind of like how they turned out. I want to do a few more left handed tonight or tomorrow before I go back to my right. Also. I never really used a pencil on its side before today and It felt really good.

on a note Loom- I think that book was worth the money. It was a fair bit but Ive already learnt some new things like closing one eye (never thought of doing that before) which gives me a whole new perspective on things. a 2D one lol..
    IMG_0004.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ok so using some of the skills/ techniques I discovered using my left hand yesturday I gave it an attempt to do a drawing this-morning in pencil using my preferred hand. I used the pencil sideways for most of it again and didnt pencil in outlines. I went straight for the blocks of shape and I think it worked a treat. I started light and worked darker, then used my smudge stick thing and erased highlights and went darker again with the pencil. Also found if I sit higher up in my seat I dont get that trouble of my image being stretched out when scanning because I was drawing it in perspective :D

Feedback will be great :) thanks, sorry about the quality I took it with my phone as I'm at work, ill scan it in when i get home
    Photo173.jpg
    reference can be found here
    http://PB-HASS.deviantart.com/art/for-HARLEN-II-79098209

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    t i m wrote: »
    Also in regards to "Drawing on the Right.." it's a good book for understanding relationships, but I didn't find it especially helpful. The exercise about drawing something upside down was clever, and did help out with identifying shapes in complex compositions.

right side is great for getting people to draw what they see as opposed to what they think they see. however, it needs to be followed with something that's much less part-to-whole, and with something that introduces proper proportions. it's easy to tell when someone is in the "i just finished 'drawing on the right side'" state from the wonkiness and attention to detail in their drawings.

also, the color section in the book, and all the pseudo-science is bullshit, but it's full of useful exercises.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    right side is great for getting people to draw what they see as opposed to what they think they see. however, it needs to be followed with something that's much less part-to-whole, and with something that introduces proper proportions.

Speaking of proportions I think the arm is a little off in the arm. I think it may of stemmed from stuffing up the shoulders

Leggraphics on