As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing: you're serious?

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its Sonic in a cart...

Yeah, this'll work.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Sonic, and have always done so since I was a kid.

But geez, I'm starting to feel like the girlfriend that always goes back to the abusive jerk. Has all hope of a good 3D sonic game been extinguished?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All stars tennis worked out pretty well for them. The name is dumb, clearly a marketing thing to attract both the people who like Sonic and the people who like Sega...which assumes there's a significant difference. "Super Mario and Nintendo Characters Kart!"

Whatever else people think of what Sega does, they do know how to make decent FMVs.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YaYa wrote: »

Before you dismiss it entirely, the guys behind the OutRun 2 ports are doing it. One of them has even said "think OutRun crossed with Sega Superstars Tennis, and you're getting the right idea." In other words, it may actually be good. Of course, that won't stop all the review sites panning it just because it's Sonic.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, Sonic is in a kart? I thought he was going to be in Mario Kart but they fought over the fact that Sonic needed to be in a kart and they refused?

Edit: I hope it has more varied characters than Sega Tennis. I demand Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III!
    Also Edit: And Dynamite Heady. And Ristar. The dudes from Gunstar Heroes...The list goes on.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, Sonic is in a kart? I thought he was going to be in Mario Kart but they fought over the fact that Sonic needed to be in a kart and they refused?

Sega hasn't been right in the head for years.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's very impressive to watch their FMVs, true. That's part of the reason I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic Heroes (but not Sonic 2006. Never Sonic 2006), was because they really look polished and capture the spirit of the Sonic universe so well.

... But you can't sell a game on FMV alone. That's not a game. That's a film. It just doesn't make any sense. Let's take a look at the track record (apologies for the poor pun) with Sonic and racing games:

1) Sonic Drift. Fun, but short.
    2) Sonic Drift 2. Just as short as the above, but lacking the fun part.
    3) Sonic R. No comment.

So what the hell possessed them to go back and give it a fourth try?

Edit: Minion you bag of win-ness, how the devil are you?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That trailer reminded me way too much of the podracing scene from the first Star Wars...

Any word out there on actual gameplay? Based on Tail's plane it seems like there might be different vehicles, maybe like Diddy Kong Racing?

That could be fun.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the Samba De Amigo guy well known enough to warrent being called an all star?

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    Is the Samba De Amigo guy well known enough to warrent being called an all star?

I'd say he's better All-Star material than monkey1 and monkey2 from Super Monkey Ball.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That trailer reminded me way too much of the podracing scene from the first Star Wars...

Any word out there on actual gameplay? Based on Tail's plane it seems like there might be different vehicles, maybe like Diddy Kong Racing?

That could be fun.

I reckon it's only karts. The official SEGA site shows tails' plane as a kart on the ground in all the screenshots.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    plufim wrote: »

That could be fun.

I reckon it's only karts. The official SEGA site shows tails' plane as a kart on the ground in all the screenshots.

Thats really too bad. Having different vehicles has been fun in the past. The idea of a plane as a kart on the ground just sounds stupid.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, would have been nice for someone to tackle that concept again, diddy kong racing was great.

At least Eggman's monster truck is all kinds of awesome.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    No matter how terrible this game is I will buy it if Ristar is a playable character.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »

But geez, I'm starting to feel like the girlfriend that always goes back to the abusive jerk. Has all hope of a good 3D sonic game been extinguished?

I'm the only one that really liked Sonic Unleashed.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm annoyed that in this age, with the tech that we have, companies still resort to CG for trailers.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

Sonic_Drift_2_SGG_ScreenShot1.gif

History repeats itself.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whatever else people think of what Sega does, they do know how to make decent FMVs.
    sonic.jpg

Azio on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hooray for a lacking OP, but I guess linking the trailer is enough anyhow.

I like Sonic because he runs fast. He doesn't need to be driving shit. It's like giving Mario a pogostick.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

I miss Fang/Nack. I thought it was a neat character.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with those "all stars"
    Though they do have the opportunity to rip off everything mario kart wii did right while discarding or improving on the stuff they screwed up.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What did Mario Kart Wii screw up? Its online multi was/is awesome.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.
    That makes no sense. If sonic is so damn fast then why would he ever need a crappy little go kart?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.
    That makes no sense. If sonic is so damn fast then why would he ever need a crappy little go kart?

Sonic got in debt with the mob.
    The mob broke his legs so he needs to race in a go-kart to pay them back.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let me be honest. I'm a Sega fan. That's why I'm really looking forward to this, just to see who's included in the roster. I know Nintendo's characters are much more well-known, but I personally love Sega's characters much more and would love more opportunity to see them. The context isn't important to me as long as it's a fun multiplayer game.

And Sonic's been in a car many times before. In addition to the Sonic Drift games, there was a cart racing minigame in Sonic Adventure, and multiplayer cart racing in Sonic Adventure 2. It's nothing new and hardly worth complaining about.

Also, the Kotaku article states mentions that "Unlike other kart racing titles, Sonic and friends aren't limited to cars, with characters flying planes or racing motorcycles, which seems completely unfair to me, but there you go." So I think Tails will most likely be able to fly.

Kotaku article: http://kotaku.com/5271986/sega-wheels-out-sonic-all+star-racing

If I can wishlist just three characters:
    Gilius Thunderhead riding a Chicken Leg
    Ulala in her personal spaceship
    Ryo Hazuki on a motorcycle OR a forklift

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    What did Mario Kart Wii screw up? Its online multi was/is awesome.

The online was pretty good though it still used friend codes, and you couldn't send any replay to friends (It had to be your best one). Mostly the problem was there were too many godly items that took no skill to use; blue shells, lightning, bullet bill, pow block. The characters and karts were also very unbalanced. Karts didn't stand a chance against even the worst bikes. Oh and no customizable controls, the best controller was the GC controller and it's like they intentionally made the control scheme for it terrible in an attempt to balance it with the other controllers.

TheStig on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

And he uses what to push the gas and break pedals?

Henroid on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They should make it like Sonic R. I think I have that game on some Sonic collection. It wasn't a bad game, except that horrible music with that woman singing. Please no vocals.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

Attitude

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just figured he would have a Flinstones type car.

TheStig on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Oh god yes.
    They should make it like Sonic R. I think I have that game on some Sonic collection. It wasn't a bad game, except that horrible music with that woman singing. Please no vocals.
    EVERYBODY SUPER SONIC RACING GOTTA KEEP YOUR FEET RIGHT ON THE GROUND
    WHEN YOU'RE SUPER SONIC RACING THERE'S NO TIME TO LOOK AROUND

To be fair whoever the vocalist was was a fine singer, she just had terrible lyrics to work with.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Edit: I hope it has more varied characters than Sega Tennis. I demand Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III!

Yes, please. I was sad when he wasn't in Sega Superstars Tennis.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god yes.

To be fair whoever the vocalist was was a fine singer, she just had terrible lyrics to work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXF1n9bZJU

You have to post a video to back it up.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

look at it this way. if you could run faster than a mclaren f1, you'd have no one to race. that must feel lonely.

so you give yourself a handicap and buy a racecar.
    Ryo Hazuki on a motorcycle OR a forklift
    <3<3

that would be even more awesome if they gave every other character dynamic facial expressions/reactions EXCEPT Ryo.

Sam on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Putting Shenmue characters in it would be a hilarious tease, like Nintendo putting Kid Icarus in Brawl.

I'd buy an SNK cart racer. I've pretty well sworn off anything with Sonic in it by now, though.

Saddler on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I also like personalized karts. Dunno why Tails isn't riding the Tornado or whatever his old red plane is called. Or uh, why Sonic is in a kart at all. Shit, I think Sonic Drift had Robotnik in his old flying machine.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

He just has a brick on the gas.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Sonic%20Drift_start.JPG

History repeats itself.

Attitude

Goddamn it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »

I'm the only one that really liked Sonic Unleashed.

Naa, you're not the only one.

I thought it was great (nay, fantastic) up until the very end.

Igort on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god yes.

[video]

You have to post a video to back it up.

I can feel the sunshine and it burns. Picking words that rhyme does not make a song. I'm guessing they paid a singer; maybe they can figure out how to pay a lyricist.

Also, Sonic needs a kart. How else will he shoot turtle shells?

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.