As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leviticus: Because We Conveniently Ignored It Last Week

WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Leviticus.

The third book of the Bible and the source of many, many Internet debates. Most people are somewhat familiar with Leviticus - especially the bits about men sleeping with men and men eating shrimp.

In any case, since Leviticus comes after Exodus but before Numbers, I feel there ought to be a topic about it as well.

So... go forth and discuss Leviticus and the Laws contained therein.

WotanAnubis on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Six hundred laws and they're all supposed to be as equal as the other, right? That is, Yahweh frowns just as hard at thieves as he does at people who eat ostrich is how I understand it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't worship a god who frowns upon eating ostrich.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Come on, you craft something as awesome as an ostrich with your divine hand, and then people go and eat them? That's bullshit. I'd be angry too. I might even, say, flood the entire world or drop thousands upon thousands of frogs on someone's city.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Come on, you craft something as awesome as an ostrich with your divine hand, and then people go and eat them? That's bullshit. I'd be angry too. I might even, say, flood the entire world or drop thousands upon thousands of frogs on someone's city.

If he dropped thousands and thousands of ostriches there wouldn't even be a problem.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

He shouldn't have made them delicious.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

You guys just gave me my latest facebook status.

Also, why are we discussing Leviticus? Wasn't this one of the ones that was written 10 million years ago by prehistoric sheep herders? Why are we still reading it? We should read Jurassic Park. That;s a great book.

An-D on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    According to Jesus it all still applies.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

But what does Michael Crichton say?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

But what does Michael Crichton say?

If you don't move he can't see you.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

But...but...they're adorible and you can ride them like in Donkey Kong Country.

And in real life, when lightweight people ride them, they have the most confused look on their face. A confuzzled ostrich is the cutest thing ever.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Six hundred laws and they're all supposed to be as equal as the other, right? That is, Yahweh frowns just as hard at thieves as he does at people who eat ostrich is how I understand it.

Yes and no.

In general, all commandments are equal. There are specific cases, however, where they are differentiated.

For instance, there is an understanding that one is supposed to live by the mitzvot (commandments), rather than die by them. From this understanding, it is extrapolated that, except for three specific instances, one should break any commandment to save their own life.

The three exceptions, for the record, are murder this does not, of course, include self-defense), a specific list of sexual improper acts (they are mostly incest related. for the record, homosexuality is NOT on this list), and PUBLIC worship of another god.

Basically, one is supposed to value all mitzvot equally in general, but in specific instances where triage might be neccesary, the choices one should make are heavily suggested.

Evander on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What I don't know is why a lot of Christian churches use Leviticus as their primary argument against the institution of gay marriage, but don't keep kosher or anything. It's all in the same book

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What I don't know is why a lot of Christian churches use Leviticus as their primary argument against the institution of gay marriage, but don't keep kosher or anything. It's all in the same book

Lewis Black has a great bit about this.

Evander on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

and those laws are directed at Jews specifically.

I forget the name but there's actually other laws for gentiles

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I've heard there's specifically a passage in the new testament that says God revoked all diet restrictions. Is this true or was my friend just bullshitting me?

In fairness, I was calling his eating lobster an abomination before God, just as bad as supporting the evil homosexuals.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

and those laws are directed at Jews specifically.

I forget the name but there's actually other laws for gentiles

Noahide laws. They were seven laws that God gave Noah after the flood.
    zerg rush wrote: »

I've heard there's specifically a passage in the new testament that says God revoked all diet restrictions. Is this true or was my friend just bullshitting me?

In fairness, I was calling his eating lobster an abomination before God, just as bad as supporting the evil homosexuals.

There are still plenty of other laws that Christians ignore.

There are 613 laws, Christians like to talk about one or two dozen of them.

There definitely aren't 600 dietary laws, I promise you.

Evander on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's true, Acts I think.

What happens is that Saul spends some serious time trying to kill all these crazy christian dudes for the Roman empire and fails, those tenacious buggers just won't die out. Shit, the only thing slowing their growth is that whole "Kosher" thing. So after a long trip by himself he says his name is now Paul, non-jewish christians don't have to keep kosher and also, he's totally the boss now. God told him so.

Really, it's almost as "convenient" as John Smith's stuff from the book of Mormon.

Edit: For a more serious source of information the wiki entry isn't bad.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's true, Acts I think.

What happens is that Saul spends some serious time trying to kill all these crazy christian dudes for the Roman empire and fails, those tenacious buggers just won't die out. Shit, the only thing slowing their growth is that whole "Kosher" thing. So after a long trip by himself he says his name is now Paul, non-jewish christians don't have to keep kosher and also, he's totally the boss now. God told him so.

Really, it's almost as "convenient" as John Smith's stuff from the book of Mormon.

Edit: For a more serious source of information the wiki entry isn't bad.

Well, according to Acts, Peter and James--the leaders of the Jewish Christians--also came to believe that Christians were not required to follow all the dietary laws (though they insist that the prohibition against eating bloody meat still applies!) and ceremonial laws. See Acts chapter 15 (and, to a lesser degree, Acts 10-11).

Of course, you might think that the relevant parts of Acts were written by followers of Paul as a way to justify their loose obedience to the Levitical laws. If we think that Acts is a relatively faithful history of the early Christian church, however, then it seems that the decision to retcon most of the Jewish Law was really a committee decision.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

But...but...they're adorible and you can ride them like in Donkey Kong Country.

And in real life, when lightweight people ride them, they have the most confused look on their face. A confuzzled ostrich is the cutest thing ever.

Hey, I'm not denying that they're fantastically cool animals. I'm just saying that they're also a perfect match for teriyaki marinade.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peter had a daydream. He was shown pigs and ostriches and a voice told him it was okay.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+10%3A1-11:18

emnmnme on