As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fable 2: Sex, Children and Dogs.

WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Two (or more) of which will hopefully be able to be combined.

So yeah, front page news: Peter Molyneux claims Fable 2 will take the relationship aspect of the original game further, allowing for the possibility to procreate. Naturally, you can be the father, but it will be interesting to see how being a mother works. Also, you get a dog. It suggests what you should do, and should the need arise, will pester El Gigante.

He also mentions the presence of GUNS in the game. Guns that shoot.

So...thoughts? Do you think Molyneux and his team can really pull all this off? How will guns affect gameplay? If you knock up the waitress at the bar, will the little bastard be able to put a good head of foam on your beer when he pours it? Discuss!

UPDATE: Fable 2 Gametrailers page ...Featuring dog demonstration, also combat

858213-butcher-2.jpg
Woodroez on

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought discussion of hentai games was against forum rules?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I really really want this game.

I hope something is said about it at GDC. We haven't heard anything really.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Using the dog as a make-shift HUD is going to become incredibly annoying, very quickly.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Using the dog as a make-shift HUD is going to become incredibly annoying, very quickly.

Ok, pup, I want to check my map so, ok, stop. No. Do not go over there and sniff that other dog, bad dog! Bad! DO NOT RUN AFTER THAT RABBIT, NO, COME BACK!

Dee Kae on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The game has no map, no other user interface on screen.

We've heard this before.

Color me skeptical.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited March 2007
    Ahahahah :D

edit - wait, no map?!

Oh... no.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Ok, pup, I want to check my map so, ok, stop. No. Do not go over there and sniff that other dog, bad dog! Bad! DO NOT RUN AFTER THAT RABBIT, NO, COME BACK!

20050824h.jpg

Taramoor on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay guys, pick one of those things you think will make it, because if it's like the last game the other two will be cut.

Pb on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's not cheating if it's YOUR DOG. Get it? GET IT???

jif.jpg

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050824h.jpg[/img]

I miss when Gabe put more effort into his comics. :(

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2007
    Well then fine, here you go:

20070307.jpg

Pb on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    God, that dog thing sounds terrible. Molyneaux needs to stay away from clever clever stuff until he's got the foundations of the game nailed.

Tube on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God, that dog thing sounds terrible. Molyneaux needs to stay away from clever clever stuff until he's got the foundations of the game nailed.

Molyneaux: "Oh, and we have a new feature for Fable 3. Your character can now TRIP and FALL DOWN, thereby stubbing his toe. He will actually start swearing and jumping up and down holding his hurt foot. You will see this throughout the game following, with your character putting less pressure down on his hurt toe."

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm excited about it. As long as I can still be a Big Ol' Gay I'll be satisfied. Actually being able to be homosexual in a game was a rather... heady experience.

Plus my guy was 12 different flavors of HAWT. Sadly he got horribly scarred up because I never let him wear a shirt. That'll teach me to be dirty perv.

At least I see now why the straight boys likes them the bouncy jubblies in their fighting games.

Magic Pink on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

actually, last i'd heard, they spent a long, long time 'experimenting' with all their ideas, finding what worked and what didn't, and then building them into the game. It was some interview with him where he said they didn't want to talk about stuff and then have to cut it, so instead, they took their time at the start testing all sorts of crazy ideas and things, and refining the best.
    I'm one of the first people to go "wtf?" when some idea that i'm not familiar with is announced, and can't see how it's going to work. In this case though, i'm honestly interested to see what they mean, and how it works, before i write it off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The title of this thread can be misread in so many ways that it's not funny. I'm thoroughly relieved...

A dog as the user interface. What. The. Fuck. If that's half as gimmicky and saccharine as it sounds... just. What? I can't even type anymore. My head hurts. WHAT?!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, it sounds like Fable 2 is doing a good job of ignoring anything that was fun about the first game and throwing in a bunch of extra, half-cocked ideas. I imagine with all the new stuff they're working on, that they'll only be able to produce about 5-6 hours of content.

Seriously, a little focus. Fable could make a decent RPG without becoming an in-depth life simulator. I'd much rather adventure about than have to worry about a dog, a brat and a wife. RAWR.

NofrikinfuN on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe it will come with a mic, and if you don't keep making breathing noises into it, your character will stop breathing and die. Sounds hopeful?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited March 2007
    I wonder if I can use my dog to kill my wife and child, thus giving me mondo evil points. I bet they even have a button for that.

EDIT - Or maybe the dog could get evil points...

Pb on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing good about the kids is that they emulate you but still...you play games to be a bad ass adventurer, why would you need kids? Kids are a liability for super villains to take out and get at you.

The dog as the UI is a bad idea. No map? Even that long ago people knew how to make a god damn map.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2007
    As long as I can continually scream abuse- abuse that alters the dynamic of the game world- into said mic, I might just be content.

I was lucky with Fable, I suppose, as I didn't buy into the hype (aka lies) for a second. Fable: The Lost Chapters was a basic but enjoyable action RPG, and I could live with that because I wasn't expecting the next coming of Pixelchrist.

Both Fable and Jade Empire strike me as extremely similar games, and they're both quite playable. But while Bioware's next console project is freaking Mass Effect, Molyneux wants to simulate pregnancy and the angst of anyone who's ever tried to get a dog to do something important.

See, that's also what the breathing mic could be for. You know how much you swear in real life when you, you know, try and get a dog to tell you your mission objectives for the day, or to select an alternate fighting style to avoid the muggers gang-stabbing you?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    I wonder if I can use my dog to kill my wife and child, thus giving me mondo evil points. I bet they even have a button for that.

I'll bet you that the dog morphs with alignment

Tube on
    edited March 2007
    It doubtless will, raising the next question: why a goddamn dog, anyway? Why not pull the usual fantasy move and let you select a familiar from a whole roster of them?

...in fact, why have an animal-based UI in the first place? Are enemies going to be able to cripple my mighty hero by kidnapping/eating/molesting my loyal canine companion? Or is he going to be magically invincible during chaotic battles?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing good about the kids is that they emulate you but still...you play games to be a bad ass adventurer, why would you need kids? Kids are a liability for super villains to take out and get at you.

You need them for cover. And decoys.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    It doubtless will, raising the next question: why a goddamn dog, anyway? Why not pull the usual fantasy move and let you select a familiar from a whole roster of them?

...in fact, why have an animal-based UI in the first place? Are enemies going to be able to cripple my mighty hero by kidnapping/eating/molesting my loyal canine companion? Or is he going to be magically invincible during chaotic battles?

maybe it barks, and shoots bees out of its mouth. Maybe it only has three legs. Maybe it's got a frickin' laser gun attached to its head.

we don't know, people, stop acting like the world is ending because things in a game haven't been fully explained yet

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Wait, what's happening with this dog thing?
    I don't get it.

Is your dog like that Navi idiot, or something?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    as far as i'm aware, there's a dog that will in some way represent your HUD. That's really it. It sounds weird, it sounds far-fetched. Apparently, this also causes famine, AIDS and cancer.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bitch wants a unicorn? CUNT PUNT!!

Polago on
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    maybe it barks, and shoots bees out of its mouth. Maybe it only has three legs. Maybe it's got a frickin' laser gun attached to its head.

we don't know, people, stop acting like the world is ending because things in a game haven't been fully explained yet

Hey, I'm fully aware the world will carry on regardless of Molyneux's current design concepts, it just seems a thoroughly weird thing to "reveal" when no more information is forthcoming- besides, speculating on things which (probably) haven't been finalised yet is an Intarweb tradition. But heh, I was kind of hoping your reply was going to say something like "look, Ed, Molyneux explained it before this story was even announced, jeez, relax, the dog is just a metaphor for a cursor or something [have a link]". No such luck.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

Hey, I'm fully aware the world will carry on regardless of Molyneux's current design concepts, it just seems a thoroughly weird thing to "reveal" when no more information is forthcoming- besides, speculating on things which (probably) haven't been finalised yet is an Intarweb tradition. But heh, I was kind of hoping your reply was going to say something like "look, Ed, Molyneux explained it before this story was even announced, jeez, relax, the dog is just a metaphor for a cursor or something [have a link]". No such luck.

i know it's a tradition, i'm just trying to counter all the serious drama-queen bitchery that happens whenever something Molyneux's working on is announced. He himself has acknowledged that his own personal hype for things is his biggest downfall, and apologised for this in the past. For Fable 2, as i'd said before, they made sure to spend their time testing everything first, seeing if it worked, how it worked, and if it could work in the game. Then started making the game. While this dog thing is a completely new concept to me, i'm assuming that's mostly because they've been saying nothing about Fable 2, at all. This is like, the first actual news we've had about it. It's weird, it's unusual, and it may well not work. But people are jumping on it like it's going to ruin the game, it can't possibly work, and it's all just going to fall apart. I know as little as you guys do, so i can't vouch for anything different. But like i said, i'm always one to go "wait, that's stupid, you're stupid, stop doing stupid things" when i read an idea i don't understand. Then i'll play it and go "oh, right.. that actually works really well, good show!". In this case, i want to know more, but i'm interested to see if/how it works.

edit: personally, i don't think it'll be a cursor or something like that. But probably something like the appearance and activities of the dog represent your own status or something. Rather than having bars and meters across the screen, it'll be reflected in the dog somehow instead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This thread seems sort of redundant. Do we really need a thread that merely rehashes the front page of PA?

wavecutter on
    edited March 2007
    i know it's a tradition, i'm just trying to counter all the serious drama-queen bitchery that happens whenever something Molyneux's working on is announced. He himself has acknowledged that his own personal hype for things is his biggest downfall, and apologised for this in the past. For Fable 2, as i'd said before, they made sure to spend their time testing everything first, seeing if it worked, how it worked, and if it could work in the game. Then started making the game. While this dog thing is a completely new concept to me, i'm assuming that's mostly because they've been saying nothing about Fable 2, at all. This is like, the first actual news we've had about it. It's weird, it's unusual, and it may well not work. But people are jumping on it like it's going to ruin the game, it can't possibly work, and it's all just going to fall apart. I know as little as you guys do, so i can't vouch for anything different. But like i said, i'm always one to go "wait, that's stupid, you're stupid, stop doing stupid things" when i read an idea i don't understand. Then i'll play it and go "oh, right.. that actually works really well, good show!". In this case, i want to know more, but i'm interested to see if/how it works.

Ah, fair enough. Damn you for being reasonable and articulate.

I don't usually buy into the Molyneux-bashing (every goddamn dev drops some feature once in a while, it's just that Pete dropped enough to be called out on it) but this one just made me flip, especially after that interview where he admitted he needed to be more transparent about game dynamics. Honestly, I half thought the GUI dog was a joke!

Granted it'll almost certainly go beyond the exaggerated scenarios I've outlined, but I have to admit it sounds a bit... odd, as is.

I'm just a big dissappointed fanboy at heart, I'm afraid. I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Fable 2: I'm just getting angsty because I'm concerned it'll get screwed up by strange gimmicks- or the lack of strange gimmicks which put a lot of people off the original. I guess the poor bugger can't win, can he?

EDIT:
    wavecutter wrote: »
    This thread seems sort of redundant. Do we really need a thread that merely rehashes the front page of PA?

Hey, those hacks know nothing about knee-jerk reactions and overblown prose. We're the fucking kings of game-whining. GTFO!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I hope that was sarcasm when you said that that one involved more effort.

Sarcasm is so hard to read over the internet.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2007
    i'm also pretty paranoid that it'll get screwed up by something stupid. I've seen it happen before, and i'll be damned if it never happens again. I enjoyed Fable, and didn't agree with half the criticism that was levelled at it (mainly by people who'd hoped for more than it delivered, but not because the actual game itself was bad). It was a victim of its own hype and promise, and i would hate for Fable 2 to become the same. What i do know is, though, that Molyneux has said that the deal with Microsoft buying them, was to allow them the time and money that they just didn't have before, to get things completed. Honestly, i believe this. I really don't want them to screw this up, partly because it'll only stir up the frothing vitriol even more, but mostly because i've got genuine faith that Molyneux is an inspired designer who just needs to learn when to say 'no' to an idea.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still haven't played the first one, although from what I understand the original release was stunted and incomplete, so the Greatest Hits re-release - and the PC version - have a whole heap of extra content. Or something.

It's only £15 for the PC, actually. I might pick it up.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'll bet you that the dog morphs with alignment

If it does, then the good dog had better be as cool-looking as the evil dog. I don't want a repeat of my Black and White creature - that wolf was pink, for Christ's sake.

Physical morphing which affected the way that you used the dog would be quite cool - keep it leashed up to stunt its growth and make it able to sneak around for you, or boost it into a mount. I want to be riding around on either a great dane or a chihuahua strapped to each foot.

On the whole, I'm not a fan initially of the whole dog idea, but I'm not going to shit all over the idea until it's explained more fully. Until then, I'll entertain ideas of having a beast of burden/weapon/secondary spell caster/food source walking around with me.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited March 2007
    On the whole, I'm not a fan initially of the whole dog idea, but I'm not going to shit all over the idea until it's explained more fully. Until then, I'll entertain ideas of having a beast of burden/weapon/secondary spell caster/food source walking around with me.

shrek2_donkey_200.jpg
    and in the morning, i'm making waffles!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    'Woof! Listen!'

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it talks, then it won't be lasting long on my adventures - I'll give it to my kid. Well, one of them - like the last game, I plan to have a girl in every village, only now I can spawn an army of children, to bend to my will and send to their deaths if need be.

On reflection, I don't think that I need to worry about what the good form of the dog will look like.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I doubt it'll talk. You'll no doubt rescue it from a beating or it'll rescue you. Anyway I think the only bars you need on screen are life and magic, maybe stamina.

DarkWarrior on