As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    I installed Windows 7 on my 1000HE last night. It's running pretty well so far. My only complaint is that I wish there was more room to pin things on the taskbar, I ended up reinstalling rocketdock because I needed extra space.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I installed Windows 7 on my 1000HE last night. It's running pretty well so far. My only complaint is that I wish there was more room to pin things on the taskbar, I ended up reinstalling rocketdock because I needed extra space.

How many things do you really need to pin? I can have 15 items on the taskbar on my Aspire One before it needs a second row.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have about 9-10 things I use regularly. My issue was that the pins go all the way across the bar on the bottom... although maybe that won't be an issue with the way 7 works.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So... Moblin. Intel-sponsored Linux distro for netbooks. Not very interesting until they just unveiled a spiff new UI targeted for 7-9" screens.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If any Canadians need an older-model netbook for "typical netbook usage", there's Aspire One refurbs (with a 1-year Acer warranty) for $200 at CanadaComputers right the fuck now.

It just hit RFD though, so they'll be going OOS quickly.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Installed OSX on my Dad's Vostro A90, I think I like 7 on my Mini 9 better, but I'm having some trouble when it wakes up from sleep or hibernation sometimes. It will be really slow for a few minutes, like the components aren't fully powered on start up.

tofu on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Fizban140 on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So... Moblin. Intel-sponsored Linux distro for netbooks. Not very interesting until they just unveiled a spiff new UI targeted for 7-9" screens.

I have the new moblin on my 901 and it boots much quicker than even the native Xandros. I think the UI is damn amazing honestly.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've got the 1000HE, what's the best way to clean the matte screen? It's getting white-ish marks all over it from the occasional attempt to wipe them with my finger...

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

that's the original eee with the 7" screen. People generally liked it, but said "hey, can't you make the screen 2 inches bigger?"

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Trying to type on one of these in a store completely changed my opinion, they are almost as difficult as an iphone.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's why I got the 1000H instead of one of the 700 or 900 models. That little bit of extra space makes a huge difference in the keyboard. Some people do fine with the smaller one, but I don't think I could go any smaller than the one on the 1000x models without giving up touch-typing altogether.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got used to my 901's within a few days.
    Although I am more of a hunt and pecker as opposed to a true touch typist.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    My little 900 is currently my main computer, since my real main computer just blew up a little bit. It's now hooked up to my 17" monitor, my keyboard and my mouse. Kind of feels just like I'm using the slowest desktop known to man.

I'm thinking about doing this, actually. At the office, I'll want basic browsing, maybe Pandora, and the standard Office suite of programs. That doesn't require much power, and for the specs, something like the 1000HE would be more than plenty. I'd also want something I could bring to court with me, so the portability and battery life would be great.

That said, the screen seems like it might be too small for drafting documents and doing research all day. I don't need anything huge, but something in the 15-19" range would be very useful for not going blind doing work.

I still have a few questions about this setup, however:

Can I just plug a closed, sleeping netbook into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and get it going as a faux desktop (I used to be able to do this with my old Powerbook G4 12"), or is there a great deal of work involved?

Is the processor just way too slow for something like this?

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Basically operating it without a typical docking station, yes.

It can't sleep, though. Make it "Do nothing" when the lid is closed

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Basically operating it without a typical docking station, yes.

It can't sleep, though. Make it "Do nothing" when the lid is closed

Can't sleep? it doesn't have a sleep mode when it's closed? I don't think I understand.

Also (now that I think about it), does the monitor only mirror or replace the netbook screen, or can a dual monitor setup be achieved?

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Both are possible. You'd want to "clone" the netbook to the LCD for single-monitor.

You can't function how you're describing while the netbook is sleeping. If you want to do stuff, it can't sleep... so it has to stay on. It's possible to work on the netbook with the lid closed, though, and that's where you'd want to specify in the power-settings that you want the netbook to "do nothing" when you close the lid. I say this because, by default, I think the netbook puts itself to sleep... which, in your setup, would also turn the LCD black.

Now, if you want the netbook to sleep while you're not doing stuff on it, then keep it open... and close it when you're done. But yeah, an external mouse/keyboard/monitor will all work pretty much seamlessly, basically treating the netbook like a PC

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah by do nothing when lid closes means "don't go to sleep" when lid closes. only the lcd on the laptop turns off that way and you can plug in your cables and do whatever (as long as the laptop's set for external montior) otherwise just keep hitting fn+screen choice to change it over.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just got my eee901.

It's adorable. <3

If you're in the UK and lookig for a 901 specifically then Maplin (of all places) has them for only £229.99 delivered which is £20 cheaper than most people and actually in-stock (which Dabs and Scan were not)

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After I finish fixing the horrible damage I did to my Win7 install by messing with the winsxs folder, trying to move it to another partition, I'm going to dual boot Moblin on here. I'll probably end up just putting Ubuntu NR on here after I get sick of it, but I can't say I'm not curious.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone installed Win7 Build 7100 to their Eee PC? I have but I haven't really touched it.

Most of the devices were picked up. Any ideas on what else I might want to install? I know Super Hybrid Engine, but what else? I did need to update my wireless drivers as it didn't work right after install.

Sound worked fine. Video seems okay. Do I need to touch these drivers?

Unrelated: Anyone know if it's possible to get Runaway: A Road Adventure working in 1024x600? Some French guy has a Youtube video running it properly on an Eee PC 901. But running it on my 1000HE...there's a lot of cutoff at the bottom of the screen.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been using 7100 for a bit now, works fine. I just need to stop procrastinating and reinstall the EEE Essentials to make all the Fn keys work

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've got 7100 running on my 901. It works pretty beautifully, though there are some weird driver/chipset/bios problems that haven't been officially addressed, but it's easy enough to get around.

My only problem at the moment is the footprint. For a while I had literally 0 kb free on my windows partition, but some footwork with robocopy and a batch file that trimmed some unnecessary stuff from winsxs I've got about 300mb free.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I've been using 7100 for a bit now, works fine. I just need to stop procrastinating and reinstall the EEE Essentials to make all the Fn keys work

Eee Essentials?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the stuff on the disk that came with the computer

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Huh, I guess I never really looked at the disk. It installs no problem in Win7?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not sure, its still on my to-do list.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Asus ACPI doesn't work right out of the box for me. I have to install specific audio and video drivers, then the ACPI driver, or else the ACPI utility shoots back missing device errors.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know where I can buy a touch screen for the 901 Eee PC?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's a whole mess of them on eBay. I don't blame you if you're wary, but that looks like it might be your best shot.

It should be noted that it'll run you close to, if not, $100, which is a good bit of money compared to whatever you paid for yours. It's like a third of what I paid for mine, so I'm having trouble justifying it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm in love with my 901.

Eclipse installed smoothly and with pydev pulgin it's a great Python programming environment once the status window was minimised. It's surprisingly snappy, although I haven't tried to do any multitasking beyond running Eclipse and Chrome at the same time.

I went for Chrome because, ironically, it has the least amount of chrome around the display so I get the most webpage for my money.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm generally settled on the 1000HE, in particular (at least compared to for the wireless N and keyboard style. Thing is, it hovers around $400 or so. There's a few low end laptops on sale lately that hit or almost hit that price point. I know I'm getting the portability and the long battery life, and those are my priorities, but it's hard to get the "bigger is better" mindset out of my head.

For example, the HP 12" touchscreen is on sale for $650, and it's a pretty powerful machine. It's much more than I need, but the gadget lust is high.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    7+ hours of battery vs... does it even fucking matter?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm generally settled on the 1000HE, in particular (at least compared to for the wireless N and keyboard style. Thing is, it hovers around $400 or so. There's a few low end laptops on sale lately that hit or almost hit that price point. I know I'm getting the portability and the long battery life, and those are my priorities, but it's hard to get the "bigger is better" mindset out of my head.

For example, the HP 12" touchscreen is on sale for $650, and it's a pretty powerful machine. It's much more than I need, but the gadget lust is high.

So wait for the 11.6" Seashell to come out. 11 hours of battery life.

http://gizmodo.com/5273955/new-asus-eee-seashell-features-116+inch-screen-and-11+hour-battery

Sounds like a perfect compromise for you.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My family is coming to visit next week. My parents just bought a MSI Wind from Costco (U120?) and love it. My little sister just graduated high school, so I am purchasing a EEE 1000HE for her as a graduation gift/ college tool.

My question is this: Can I remove the 1gb of ram from the EEE, replace with a 2gb, and then use the leftover 1gb card in the Wind?

They would both end up with 2gbs of ram for a grand total of 20 bucks, no?

Any other advice for removal of bloatware or additional programs? My family is tech-retarded (they just discovered wifia few months ago) so I'm sure they haven't even peeled the stickers off yet.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My family is coming to visit next week. My parents just bought a MSI Wind from Costco (U120?) and love it. My little sister just graduated high school, so I am purchasing a EEE 1000HE for her as a graduation gift/ college tool.

My question is this: Can I remove the 1gb of ram from the EEE, replace with a 2gb, and then use the leftover 1gb card in the Wind?

Any other advice for removal of bloatware or additional programs? My family is tech-retarded (they just discovered wifia few months ago) so I'm sure they haven't even peeled the stickers off yet.

The MSI Wind, like most netbooks, only has one slot for RAM as far as I know. So whatever RAM it has in it, 1 GB already, has to be replaced like on the EEE 1000HE if you want to upgrade. It also seems that the Wind U120 is particularly difficult to upgrade.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn! Thanks for the info.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Damn! Thanks for the info.

That said, you could use that memory in some other laptop, some of which do have multiple slots. It's DDR2 @ 667 or 800, so it's not obsolete.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JAEF on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bobmyknob wrote: »

The MSI Wind, like most netbooks, only has one slot for RAM as far as I know. So whatever RAM it has in it, 1 GB already, has to be replaced like on the EEE 1000HE if you want to upgrade. It also seems that the Wind U120 is particularly difficult to upgrade.

The wind, (or my one at least) has 1gb of ram hardwired into the motherboard, and has 1 additional free ram slot.

You can either put 1gb in the free slot and run it with the onboard ram for a total 2gb (which is what i have done), or put in a 2gb stick and disable the onboard ram, so if the ram in the EEE is removable, then Hardleft should be able to do what he described.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
This discussion has been closed.