As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Matrix Online goes Offline

13»

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasconious quit living near me, its weirding me out!

On topic: The Matrix Online had air hacking.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Air Hacking.

For the discussion of a live event team; I'm thinking you can't just hire what is the equivalent of a call center support team and let it run from there. Just wait until the guy you hired who's angry at his $12 an hour runs the, "Neo's testicles hacking air" event.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Air Hacking.

For the discussion of a live event team; I'm thinking you can't just hire what is the equivalent of a call center support team and let it run from there. Just wait until the guy you hired who's angry at his $12 an hour runs the, "Neo's testicles hacking air" event.

Nod nod.

The Live Team has a real-world analogue in the Murder Mystery dinner theatre events my parents used to go to -- for those of you not familiar with the concept, it's a dramatic version of the "murder at a private dinner party" motif in Victorian crime literature. A bunch of people gather in a large banquet hall for dinner. Around 90% of the guests are paying customers; the rest are improv actors who tell the story of a cold-blooded murder in between three to five acts, corresponding with each course of the meal. Over after-dinner coffee and desserts, the paying customers propose their theories of the crime in an attempt to solve it so that the actor playing the police inspector can haul off the actor playing the killer and avenge the actor playing the victim.

Here's the salient bit that carries over from the analogue -- in order to pay for the role-playing actors and the ancillary expenditures like the venue and the food (or in the case of an MMO the servers and the code monkeys) each customer (there are usually a hundred or so per party) usually pays a minimum of $50. For what would normally get your four or five months of an average MMO subscription, you get about three hours of entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, it's very high quality entertainment. But while the content is very high quality, you're not going to get a month's worth of it for even $50 monthly.

SammyF on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    Nod nod.

The Live Team has a real-world analogue in the Murder Mystery dinner theatre events my parents used to go to -- for those of you not familiar with the concept, it's a dramatic version of the "murder at a private dinner party" motif in Victorian crime literature. A bunch of people gather in a large banquet hall for dinner. Around 90% of the guests are paying customers; the rest are improv actors who tell the story of a cold-blooded murder in between three to five acts, corresponding with each course of the meal. Over after-dinner coffee and desserts, the paying customers propose their theories of the crime in an attempt to solve it so that the actor playing the police inspector can haul off the actor playing the killer and avenge the actor playing the victim.

Here's the salient bit that carries over from the analogue -- in order to pay for the role-playing actors and the ancillary expenditures like the venue and the food (or in the case of an MMO the servers and the code monkeys) each customer (there are usually a hundred or so per party) usually pays a minimum of $50. For what would normally get your four or five months of an average MMO subscription, you get about three hours of entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, it's very high quality entertainment. But while the content is very high quality, you're not going to get a month's worth of it for even $50 monthly.
    A full dinner for 50$? Damn, that's cheap. And there's a murder mystery going on as well? That's a fucking steal.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Nod nod.

A full dinner for 50$? Damn, that's cheap. And there's a murder mystery going on as well? That's a fucking steal.

Google the words "murder mystery dinner theater" along with your town name and see what comes up.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    There is economy in scale in an MMO that doesn't exist in dinner theater though.

You don't /have/ to give everyone the amount of attention in an MMO that you do in dinner theater. Just carry out your script on each server; varying the times and guilds of who participate, and those who manage to show up will carry the tale to those who couldn't make it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just a quick update if anyone gives a rat's, all accounts are unlocked now.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Just a quick update if anyone gives a rat's, all accounts are unlocked now.

Tempting but no, i put a year into this game and got barely anything out of it. The reason i stayed so long was that my Faction mates (the Independant Descendants) were cool and fun to superjump around with.

I remember at the end i had every ability in the game and code resequencers, so i could be anything at anytime.

A good idea wasted, i hope a serious dev tries to redo Mx0 cos it had tons of potential that is wasted.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have to be honest: I'm amazed the game lasted as long as it did. Nobody ever talked about this game, and when they did it was never good.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I will miss my Hovercraft 'The Wardriver', but that is all.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On topic: The Matrix Online had air hacking.

1 - Not as cool are you're making it out to be.
    2 - Doesn't make any sense.

Hacking the matrix is what the operator was for.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)