As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zeppel-On] The Saboteur: French star nipples and Nazi racing on Dec. 8

Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Official_Saboteur_Game_Cover_Art.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzZbsLyphU
(watch it in HD or I'll cut you)

So, The Saboteur. Game's been floating around for a while actually, with the first trailer appearing back in 07. But with a new E3 comes a new improved trailer, and it looks phenomenal. It's being made by Pandemic, veterans of Mercenaries 1/2 and the ill-fated The Dark Knight tie-in game. Since it's due out this year, I thought I'd make a thread, so here's the skinny:

Bullet Point Style:
- Set for release on PC, 360, and PS3.
- Released on December 8th 2009

Story:
Set in Nazi occupied Paris, France during the height of WW2, you play as grouchy Irishman Sean Devlin (loosely based off real life war hero William Grover-Williams), who snaps after the Nazis murder one of his close friends, and decides that he's going to take on the 3rd Reich juggernaut by himself, stealth style.

Gameplay:
In a nutshell? Assassin's Creed in WW2. There's the entirety of Paris to roam around in slitting the folks of the Herrenvolk, but there's a bit more to it than that. Basically the city is split up into districts, and each district has what's called a Will to Fight rating. By doing side missions and just generally removing the swastika-branded folks from the area, that area's rating goes up. This is evidenced by a rather interesting method of colouring; the place gradually improves from shades of grey with bright splashes of red Nazi symbolism to colourful wonderland (think of the effect used in Okami). Not only this, but the French Resistance becomes more active in the area, more likely to help you on your missions, and there's just less Nazis around to bother you in general.

Completing these side missions then will naturally assist you in your main missions, which consist of assassinating a series of high-ranking Nazi officials and officers. There are multiple solutions to each mission, like slowly gathering intel from brothels, nightclubs and dives, learning your target's schedule, then taking him out at an opportune moment. Or you can just walk into his office and shoot up the place. Pandemic have been very firm on the fact that just waltzing in and killing people is nigh impossible, without at least softening that city district first.

Eye Candies (h-scroll rape all up ins)
saboteur05.jpg
The%20saboteur-5.jpg
saboteur200708170445334ni3.jpg
the_saboteur_20090425_1520789070.jpg

So, personally I'm super psyched, this looks drenched in style and I do loves me some open world sneaky shooting. So, talk amongst yourselves, etc, etc.

camo_sig2.png
Darth Nathan on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game reeks of awesome style, however the fact that it's from Pandemic gets me weary. Mercenaries 2 was pretty bad, LOTR: Conquest wasn't good either, seems like they've been on an...anti-roll lately.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can't watch the video at work, but this
    the place gradually improves from shades of grey with bright splashes of red Nazi symbolism to colourful wonderland (think of the effect used in Okami)
    got me excited.

Is this coming out for the PC?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got confused with velvet assassin for a minute there.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What is ths game going to be on? PS3? 360? PC? All of the above?

DekuStick on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    a ww2 game that is not an fps? With a cool premise and a use of the period beyond Americans shooting Axis forces worldwide? a main character with actual... distinction?

moderate critical success, commercial flop

Iriah on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That does look pretty cool.

I will snipe everything. Get up high, booby trap the building's entrances and approaches(give me trip-wire explosive charges damn you!) snipe my target and flee down my escape route as my pursuers explode as they run up to my previous position.

Sepah on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Can't watch the video at work, but this
    the place gradually improves from shades of grey with bright splashes of red Nazi symbolism to colourful wonderland (think of the effect used in Okami)
    got me excited.

Is this coming out for the PC?

It's supposed to be, IIRC, but if it's anything like how they handled Mercenaries 2, you wouldn't want to play that version unless absolutely necessary.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What was wrong with Mercenaries 2 PC - well, asides from the lack of an integrated VOIP setup or any kind of functional communication for co-op - compared to the console?

And this looks ridiculously awesome, definetily going to keep an eye out for it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like Thief meets Wolfenstein. I approve.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Game is on all 3. 360, PS3, PC.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey this looks pretty good. Now to hope my PC can run it though D:

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    a ww2 game that is not an fps? With a cool premise and a use of the period beyond Americans shooting Axis forces worldwide? a main character with actual... distinction?

Why are you so bitter, Iriah.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Looks like Thief meets Wolfenstein meets Assassins Creed meets Mercenaries 1. I approve.

Yup, me too.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Iriah wrote: »

Why are you so bitter, Iriah.

because Troika dissolved before they could make their source engine sequel to Arcanum

Iriah on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Parkour was actually invented by nazi scientists as a radically experimental final effort to climb shit.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ooh that looks good.

Except...is that lasers? Coming off that helicopter?

THE NAZIS DIDN'T HAVE LASERS!!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    World War 2 stealth game starring a grouchy Irishman? Fuck yes!

399963greenberetlarge.jpg

-SPI- on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Been looking forward to this ever since I saw the first black-and-white with a splash of color screenshots. I'm hoping it's better than the last few game or two from Pandemic have been, because it looks great.
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Ooh that looks good.

Pretty sure those were bullets.
    And it might have been a zeppelin.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ooh that looks good.

Or helicopters!

Or imaginary screenshots!

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ooh that looks good.

Or helicopters!

Or naughty french women?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ooh that looks good.

Or helicopters!

Or naughty french women?

Hornycaust denier.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh yeah, this got my interest

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Parkour was actually invented by nazi scientists as a radically experimental final effort to climb shit.

Hahaha, this needs to be made into a game! :lol:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there wa[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]s no p[/COLOR]arkour in that trailer

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Added important shit to the OP that I forgot cause I'm tired and my computer broke.

To everyone who was wondering why the helicopter's bullets were visible in the trailer, first of all it's a ZEPPELIN damnit, and second its just an effect, in case you didn't realise, bullets are kinda hard to see at night, and the devs wanted the player to be able to clearly see what was shooting at them.

As an aside, the style this oozes reminds me of another EA published title, Mirror's Edge. Not as in they're the same style, but both are certainly rather individualistic looking games.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Tracer ammunition was first introduced in 1915, saw wide use in WWI (and was a very effective, flammable, countermeasure against zepplins) and by WWII they were commonly used in machine guns and autocannons in tanks and aircraft.

That would be a good excuse for pew pew zepplins.

The notion of zepplins being deployed to hunt down and kill a single insurgent at low altitude in a city is less easy to shoehorn into history, I suspect.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game just popped up on my radar a couple weeks ago, looks like it could be fun. I've nevr played any other Pandemic game though.

tofu on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saba-who Saba-what now?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait a second. You mean they're making a game where you get to play as a hard-drinking Irish Indiana Jones clone, kick Nazi ass and dally with Parisian whores?

Bought.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Wait a second. You mean they're making a game where you get to play as a hard-drinking Irish Indiana Jones clone, kick Nazi ass and dally with Parisian whores?

Bought.

This.

Did EA reveal anything new at their press conference? I haven't really been following these E3 shenanigans.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't forget the guy is a race car driver too.

tofu on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know this is somewhat debated among the PA crowd, but I loved both Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2, so Pandemic has always been on my good side. They've got the experience in open world games to pull this off I think.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henry Hatsworth, Mirror's Edge, Brutal Legend, Orange Box, this game. EA seems pretty cool now!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    I know this is somewhat debated among the PA crowd, but I loved both Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2, so Pandemic has always been on my good side. They've got the experience in open world games to pull this off I think.

Man, AC has spoilt me though. The animations that were present in AC have just made it so much harder for other open world games to live up to my now stratospheric expectations of motion captured awesomeness. Here's hoping this game pulls off what its going for, I for one think that open world games with a historical slant are fantastic.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sure, this thread is like 5-6 months old but who cares.

It would seem this game has little to no buzz on this forum despite the fact that it looks pretty fun. It's coming out pretty soon (December 4) and from the look of recent videos I'll probably buy it.

Here's a quick look from Giant Bomb http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-the-saboteur/17-1597

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't they all just get fired?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Australian Pandemic got cleaned out.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh. What games have they made?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nothing that was ever released, I don't think.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Henry Hatsworth, Mirror's Edge, Brutal Legend, Orange Box, this game. EA seems pretty cool now!

What a difference 5 months makes.

Oh well, maybe Saboteur will do great and perk a sympathetic ear or two at EA in regards to new IPs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00