As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If Aliens ever land...

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if aliens ever come here i will proceed to buy all the guns EVER MADE and hide in bunker below sea level.

ever since i was little aliens have scared the SHIT out of me, expecially the 'greys' and abduction shit.
    this also didn't help
    how is this for kids?

it gets weird around 2:40

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you really think your puny earth bullets will hurt them?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Only if you sneeze on them first.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Or throw water at them.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's one thing that bothered me about War of the Worlds. Sure Earth disease fucked up the aliens, but wouldn't they have brought with them their own bugs that humans had no immunity too?

I mean, shit.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

That's one thing that bothered me about War of the Worlds. Sure Earth disease fucked up the aliens, but wouldn't they have brought with them their own bugs that humans had no immunity too?

I mean, shit.

Well, it's dependent on whether their bugs could infect humans. It's entirely possible that whatever diseases they have just don't affect humans, but the bugs we have do affect them. When our diseases wiped out many of the Native Americans, we didn't really suffer from any of their diseases. These things are not always symmetric.

Of course, they come to Earth and they are shown that the Earth environment is very hostile to them. So, umm, why weren't they in environment suits suits?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, it's dependent on whether their bugs could infect humans. It's entirely possible that whatever diseases they have just don't affect humans, but the bugs we have do affect them. When our diseases wiped out many of the Native Americans, we didn't really suffer from any of their diseases. These things are not always symmetric.

Of course, they come to Earth and they are shown that the Earth environment is very hostile to them. So, umm, why weren't they in environment suits suits?

If you want to make that quasi realistic, then the idea is that Martians lived in virtually sterile environment and suddenly going to earth they got bombarded by bacteria and all kinds of crap that virtually ate them alive.

Living on a planet that you have to sterilized to live on makes for a very poor choice for a settlement, hence why they gave up on the idea.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

But I agree, yeah. Signs and War of the Worlds dropped the ball on that front. Even worse was ID4's "upload a computer virus". They fly up there, "Awww, shit, they've got Mac's.. Welp, pack it in, guys. We're fucked."

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

But I agree, yeah. Signs and War of the Worlds dropped the ball on that front. Even worse was ID4's "upload a computer virus". They fly up there, "Awww, shit, they've got Mac's.. Welp, pack it in, guys. We're fucked."

Don't try to keep that thing under wraps, someone will expose the conspiracy someday.

I mean, shit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    waywardwayward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

Maybe I'm giving the writer's of ID4 more credit than they deserve but I always thought that was supposed to be a reference to WotW more than anything else.

wayward on
    edensigi.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

I was fucking pissed at Signs for that stupidity, because the whole lead up in that movie was actually exceptional. The whole "just in your periphery" of the aliens, the TV bit where they saw them. It was actually very well done.

EDIT: In deferrence to ID4, yeah it seemed to me like it was very much like WotW's - the aliens had just completely overlooked the concept of a computer virus. And in defense of the plan, they had one of their ships to base the attack off.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

I was fucking pissed at Signs for that stupidity, because the whole lead up in that movie was actually exceptional. The whole "just in your periphery" of the aliens, the TV bit where they saw them. It was actually very well done.

EDIT: In deferrence to ID4, yeah it seemed to me like it was very much like WotW's - the aliens had just completely overlooked the concept of a computer virus. And in defense of the plan, they had one of their ships to base the attack off.

I agree with you on Signs. The ending was just so exceptionally stupid, but everything leading up to it was well done. It was the only movie to ever elicit a startle out of me. But then the water thing. Ugh. Though, I tend to forgive it because of the excellent lead up.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

War of the Worlds was written in the 19th century, so I don't hold the ending against them.

But yeah, the other one doesn't really explain why an alien race would, while naked, invade a planet of acid.

Quid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    delphinus wrote: »
    I always think about how pissed off theyre gonna get after they look at about 40 years of media and how we demonize them.

They'll see that one Twilight Zone episode, think that it actually happened, then begin the eugenics programs.

I just know it.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Quid wrote: »

I mean, shit.

Wrong thread. ;)

War of the Worlds was written in the 19th century, so I don't hold the ending against them.

But yeah, the other one doesn't really explain why an alien race would, while naked, invade a planet of acid.

Intergalactic hazing ritual?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In War of the Worlds, the Martians were so advanced that they had eliminated all diseases from their environment, but in the process had lost all their immunities. So when they came to Earth, they got killed by our viruses.

ID4 and Signs were just stupid, though.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ID4 is however the greatest B-movie ever made.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Signs was the stupidest shit ever. Aliens are supposed to be highly intelligent and technologically advanced, it doesn't seem like a wooden door should stop them in their tracks.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Signs makes more sense if you turn the aliens into demons, stupid demons.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I am on-board with this. Well played.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I mean, shit.

i may have misheard this but didn't colombus and his crew get syphilis from the native americans?

Inter_d on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well the whole disease thing was to suppose to be along the lines of "God will protect us from all threats, even from beings with superior technology".

Though if you really want to kill aliens, you should just broadcast 'War of the World 2' Sci-Fi channel movie into space. Heads will explode.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    In War of the Worlds, the Martians were so advanced that they had eliminated all diseases from their environment, but in the process had lost all their immunities. So when they came to Earth, they got killed by our viruses.

This. I think it might even be something along the lines of Mars life being around for so long that disease-causing bacteria long evolved out of the environment. I might be making that up, it's been a long time since I've read the book.
    Well the whole disease thing was to suppose to be along the lines of "God will protect us from all threats, even from beings with superior technology".

I never really picked up religious overtones like this from the book, though. It strikes me as weird, especially from an author who gathered a lot of criticism from the strongly religious back in his day.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

What a twist!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

Though if you really want to kill aliens, you should just broadcast 'War of the World 2' Sci-Fi channel movie into space. Heads will explode.

Actually, Wells wrote the whole story to argue against cultural superiority, as the book was a "let's see how you like it" to Britain. If you read one of his short stories in which a person finds what I can only guess is some sort of surveillance device (you can see the martian planet if you immerse yourself and the object in total darkness and looked through it at just the right angle), you'd know a bit more about their planet. It seems they lived in a fairly pastoral/natural setting, most likely the result of a desire for a lifestyle where one can lie about in the shade and grab lunch easily (they seem to prefer a fresh kill, so having highly domesticated animals roaming around is a good strategy). Most of this info is very loosely inferred, though.

It's likely that the whole sickness thing was just Wells' way of telling his countrymen that they need to bathe more (besides the fact that Europeans seem to have gotten pretty much every other race sick, which should be a tipoff).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Really?

I coulda sworn the ending went along the lines of 'God, in all his infinite wisdom, created Earth to protect itself against outer threat'. Of course, I havent read the books sense forever.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Really?

I coulda sworn the ending went along the lines of 'God, in all his infinite wisdom, created Earth to protect itself against outer threat'. Of course, I havent read the books sense forever.

That could have been the narrator, but the analysis' I've read seem to imply it was mostly luck, and it's wildly inconsistent with Wells' statements about the book,which showed that the book was an anti-manifest destiny tract. Given that I know so much about the book, and have already read pretty much everything else by the man, I should probably get around to actually reading it.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Really?

There was a line near the end about how the aliens were defeated "by the smallest thing God in His wisdom had created", yes. But it was not meant to mean that God would save us or be a book about religion in any way - that's just the way people talked back then.

Wells was a social commentator. War of the Worlds was about how being technologically superior (Martians, British Empire) doesn't give you the right to exploit the weaker civilizations (Humans, India), and that just because you're on top for a while and it looks like nothing can stop you doesn't mean that this will always be the case (nothing Humanity could do could stop the Martians but they eventually all died, nothing India could do could stop the British...). It was a cautionary tale against England's exploitative imperialism, not a religious book.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Inter_d wrote: »

I mean, shit.

i may have misheard this but didn't colombus and his crew get syphilis from the native americans?

Yes, but they also fed the native americans they took on their ship to each other, and did a large list of other godawful and unhygenic things to them, causing the last few alive to kill themselves the first chance they got. The amerindians claim to never have seen syphilis until the colonists came.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »

I mean, shit.

Yes, but they also fed the native americans they took on their ship to each other, and did a large list of other godawful and unhygenic things to them, causing the last few alive to kill themselves the first chance they got. The amerindians claim to never have seen syphilis until the colonists came.

And we probably wouldn't have recognized the common cold when it started killing Indians.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If Aliens ever land...

I hope they come to play nice. Anyone that could successfully traverse interstellar distances would be many orders of magnitude more technologically advanced than us, and could squash us like bugs if desired. People being people, there would be some chaos/panic.

There are only a few reasons I can even think of that would be sufficient impetus to make an alien species even want to visit us. Then again they could be so alien that their logical processes would be unfathomable.

1) They are benevolent super advanced aliens who come with no ill intentions, as what would be the point in crushing us when they can easily find whatever resources they could ever need due to their amazing technology. We would be little more than curiosities to study/help/ignore.

2) A need for resources/habitable space has driven them to search for other planets that they could potentially inhabit and we are unfortunate enough to live on one that they could use. Would be simple work to exterminate us or push us back into the stone age in order to get us out of the way so they can utilize our world.

3) They have some kind of religious or moral code that makes them want to go out and cleanse/uplift/annihilate/tend to/whatever other living beings.

I'd think 1) would be the most likely, since a species that operates like 2) would be likely to annihilate itself (like we are doing) before ever developing the advanced technology/cooperation that would be required to escape their home planet.

I also wouldn't assume they are biological in nature either, as they could be some kind of mechanical construct built to escape mortality and the limitations imposed by flesh.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only way to really look at this issue is to choose very specific circumstances for first contact. In which case, we'd basically have a sci-fi book.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    The only way to really look at this issue is to choose very specific circumstances for first contact. In which case, we'd basically have a sci-fi book.

Speaking of, can anyone think of any good books themed around the writer's concept of realistic first contact?

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Speaking of, can anyone think of any good books themed around the writer's concept of realistic first contact?

First contact is either dealt with on a small scale (a small group of people meeting aliens, or a small group of aliens meeting humans) or dealt with in the past-tense. "They invaded and devastated Earth" or "They arrived and ushered in an era of peace and prosperity".

Footfall, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle deals with (violent) first-contact I think. I haven't read it though. A Mote in God's Eye by the same two authors deals with interesting first contact, but its futuristic and not on Earth (so small groups). Ringworld and Rendezvous With Rama, by Niven and Clarke respectively, deal with exploration of alien artifacts. Again, small scale, dealing with only very narrow conclusions, but still interesting to see the reactions of humans to aliens.

I've got to think there's a ton though.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I mean, shit.

Essentially, alien/human diseases actually having an effect on the other is pretty much bunk. Look at how rarely diseases cross the species barrier on earth, despite thousands of years of coexistence. As I heard it explained, it'd be like yanking the engine out of the alien's car-analogue, dropping it under the hood of a Ford Taurus, and expecting it to run.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I mean, shit.

Essentially, alien/human diseases actually having an effect on the other is pretty much bunk. Look at how rarely diseases cross the species barrier on earth, despite thousands of years of coexistence. As I heard it explained, it'd be like yanking the engine out of the alien's car-analogue, dropping it under the hood of a Ford Taurus, and expecting it to run.

The flu might have a chance, and I'm pretty sure fungi could grow anywhere.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There IS one way an alien species without that much more technology than us could get here: generation ships.

Mind you we'd see the big ass asteroid thingy coming. Hopefully.

And things with an indeterminate or extremely elongated lifespan (or even really really short) could probably just fly around without a worry.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sadly we don't often know when an asteroid is coming. When we do notice one it's usually at the point where it's almost hit us.

edit: oopsy daisy.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    sadly we don't often know when an asteroid is cumming. When we do notice one it's usually at the point where it's almost hit us.

Am I right ladies?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    sadly we don't often know when an asteroid is coming. When we do notice one it's usually at the point where it's almost hit us.

edit: oopsy daisy.

We know where asteroids are that wont be coming near us for millions of years :P

The Black Hunter on