As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Advice about HD/Motherboard

pantsypantsy Registered User regular
So, it has been about 6 years since I put together my current computer. I am now looking to build a new one, but I am now somewhat out of touch with some technological specifications and I am having a hard time deciphering them.

My quandary is that I don't want to have to get a new hard-drive because I am a cheap bastard, but I can't tell if it will work the motherboard I am interested in.

It has the following storage device specs:
newegg wrote:
PATA 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 8
SATA RAID 0/1/5/10

motherboard link

My Samsung SP0802N hard drive has an ATA 133 connection.

What is that ATA100 2 Dev. Max business? Is it compatible with my hard drive?

pantsy on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You might want to check out the sticky. I think all the PATA's should be compatible just falling to the speed of the lowest. I can't say I know that for sure.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pantsy wrote: »

The "2 Dev. Max" means the motherboard only supports 2 PATA (commonly referred to as IDE) devices.

Get a new hard drive anyway. 6 years is pretty old for a hard drive, and 80gb is not a lot of storage.

corky842 on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    corky842 wrote: »
    pantsy wrote: »

The "2 Dev. Max" means the motherboard only supports 2 PATA (commonly referred to as IDE) devices.

Get a new hard drive anyway. 6 years is pretty old for a hard drive, and 80gb is not a lot of storage.

If you are only upgrading your computer for the first time in 6 years, I think you can go ahead and swing the cash to upgrade all of its parts this one time.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet