As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum culture

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Right now the best community PA has is Graphic Violence.

It's the best place to talk about comics I've seen anywhere.

Bogart on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    Right now the best community PA has is Graphic Violence.

It's the best place to talk about comics I've seen anywhere.

It is an awesome place to talk about comics. I kind of stopped posting there because I can't stay on top of comics anymore. Shit, there's not a comic store in either of the two towns I have access to. :(

ViolentChemistry on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never found SE scary like some people are saying, it's just far too fast moving for me. It's almost like a busy IRC channel, where you have to sit and watch the thread to keep up, which is all well and good at times but there's no way I could post like that all the time. Plus, you know, general chat threads aren't so much my thing.

Overall I'd say this forum has it's share of problems but they're relatively minor and don't really affect me. So yay?

Edit: To clarify, by "this forum" I mean the whole lot, not SE.

SUPERSUGA on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    yes yes se is the suxxor and all that
    Hey, I'm just joking. We love this place or we wouldn't be here.

Yar on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    I find it funny how in Se the first page or two is usually somewhat on a topic. Once you get past that every thread is exactly the same

That's been my perception too, but I'm open to the possibility that each thread is a separate, distinct, and nuanced creature, and they only all look alike to me, the outsider. Sort of like Chinese people.*

*See what I did there? I M EDGY!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    yes yes se is the suxxor and all that
    Hey, I'm just joking. We love this place or we wouldn't be here.
    It always strikes me as odd that SE is seen as this rampant, crazy place where nothing is taboo but they all seem so sensitive about their subforum :)

They're like the crazy puppy that periodically stops running around tearing stuff up to look at you innocently, so you can't think any bad of him.

SUPERSUGA on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I find it funny how in Se the first page or two is usually somewhat on a topic. Once you get past that every thread is exactly the same

That's been my perception too, but I'm open to the possibility that each thread is a separate, distinct, and nuanced creature, and they only all look alike to me, the outsider. Sort of like Chinese people.*

You know you're sheltered and culturally groomed when you think that phenomenon only happens in SE.

Discussions at the beginning of threads in D&D are always different once you've gone several pages down the line.

And I know this for a fact because I have commented on things said at the very beginning only to get hounded later on for "not being relevant to the thread".

Obs on
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »

You know you're sheltered and culturally groomed when you think that phenomenon only happens in SE.

Discussions at the beginning of threads in D&D are always different once you've gone several pages down the line.

And I know this for a fact because I have commented on things said at the very beginning only to get hounded later on for "not being relevant to the thread".

Did you know that that has nothing to do with what he said whatsoever?

ViolentChemistry on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

You know what, I wouldn't doubt that people in SE had better reading comprehension and are generally superior at inferring the context of words either.

Obs on
    edited March 2007

You know what, I wouldn't doubt that people in SE had better reading comprehension and are generally superior at inferring the context of words either.

The fuck? What are you even on about?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The fuck? What are you even on about?

He's being an idiot. This is not new.

Salvation122 on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Maybe I'm too deeply enmeshed in the D&D culture, but I really don't see cliques forming up. I do occasionally see disproportionate retribution for people who say stupid things, and I think it's probably fair to say that fringe political ideas (on both sides, mind you) are generally savaged in short order.

People who are consistently and unapologetically dumb or inconsiderate in their pronouncements get lit into, and end up making a name for this, and we've seen this on both sides of the political and social spectrum (see: Rambozo, EntropyKid). Almost invariably, the "victim" will claim that they were ganged up upon because of political bias or because they offended some mythical clique ringleader.

Specifically addressing Silicon's point: yes, there are "surprise rape" jokes. There are jokes centering on "shouldn't have been wearing that short dress in this part of town." There are few topics considered completely off-limits as regards jokes. Ultimately, he has a point that rape is considered a more unambiguously morally bad thing than troop losses. But I think I'm okay with that.

The forum is far from dogmatic or monolithic, and it does not hew to traditional political boundaries. Remember: I was pretty much a lone voice in the "gun control" threads. I tend to hold an egregious position in economics threads, in spite of having what is a relatively mainstream position.

Obs: I've not followed your progress in D&D extremely closely, and most of the posts I've seen you make have been fine. However, you seem to have earned a broad reputation for belligerance and inconsideration. I'd recommend you consider the possibility that maybe your posting style or content is more to blame than an anti-Obs cabal.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Obs: I've not followed your progress in D&D extremely closely, and most of the posts I've seen you make have been fine. However, you seem to have earned a broad reputation for belligerance and inconsideration. I'd recommend you consider the possibility that maybe your posting style or content is more to blame than an anti-Obs cabal.
    And besides, as long as we have the mods in our pocket, we can never be defeated. You might as well give up on trying to destroy us - you're not exactly Gordon Freeman.

SithDrummer on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While I think that the cliques in D&D are perhaps a bit more tolerant of outsiders, that in no way means that they don't exist.

I can list at least three people (probably more if I didn't just wake up) who could be considered the 'in crowd' in D&D, who definitely get a different treatment than everybody else, mostly in the form of posts and as I stated before, acceptable threads.

It's definitely less rampant than in SE++, where you have to be in the clique, in order for a thread to be remotely successful. At least when making one of the stupid threads named "applesauce iz good for u", or some other irrelevant thing like that.

So yeah, D&D might be a bit more of a level playing field, but that's in comparison to SE++. I don't think it's that much friendlier than any of the other cliques around here.

I don't know who's to fault for all these occurrences of cliques, but I'm hesitant to say it's the people, and it's not more the way the forums rules force people into these ways. I dunno, it's weird.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

See, that sounds like a perfect application of the forum theme to me; I'd be more surprised if threads *didn't* go off the tracks and hit a bus full of nuns after page 3.

With MS Paint examples.

To get back on topic, though:

Originally I mainly read G&T until Wangshire, which led me over to here and Rishiri (roughly that time), and then I started reading the actual topics. It's interesting how self-contained each of these forums are--honestly, it's like going to separate sites sometimes. I like to think that I'm picking up on how the community operates in this forum by now, but I don't feel strongly enough on most of the issues to contribute, so I don't--advice that more people should take. -_-

PS: None of the mods are female hygiene products. I feel in my heart that one is an idiot. But not that. :p

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Maybe I'm too deeply enmeshed in the D&D culture, but I really don't see cliques forming up. I do occasionally see disproportionate retribution for people who say stupid things, and I think it's probably fair to say that fringe political ideas (on both sides, mind you) are generally savaged in short order.

I don't really see cliques, in the traditional sense, either. There are certain people who've been here awhile and have earned respect. And there are people who are joined by an affinity for certain topics. Threads on economics, for example, tend to be populated by Elkamil, me, Goum, Yar, Shinto, and the like. Because we're econ whores. And most of us will probably be espousing similar positions (unless Goum and Yar are going at it.) That could easily come off as a clique. Each broad category of thread is going to have a similar phenomenon, but the alliances are going to vary from thread to thread.

The only place I really see anything resembling cliques is in the chat thread, which serves as sort of a meta-commentary on the rest of the forum, and definitely has a slant towards in-groupishness. But it's not that hard to become accepted, really. If you're reasonably well-spoken and not a total cunt, you'll probably find a home there.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    PS: None of the mods are female hygiene products. I feel in my heart that one is an idiot. But not that. :p
    Man why are you so mean to me?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And besides, as long as we have the mods in our pocket, we can never be defeated. You might as well give up on trying to destroy us - you're not exactly Gordon Freeman.

shhhh, There Is No Cabal!

moniker on
    edited March 2007

Specifically addressing Silicon's point: yes, there are "surprise rape" jokes. There are jokes centering on "shouldn't have been wearing that short dress in this part of town." There are few topics considered completely off-limits as regards jokes. Ultimately, he has a point that rape is considered a more unambiguously morally bad thing than troop losses. But I think I'm okay with that.

Okay, maybe I will comment on this and risk a response.

I didn't see the Count joke. I think it's really crass. Amusing, but crass.
    (Did you know, by the way, that there's a Countess?)

However, I'm going to agree with Will here. While we can argue the morality of them being there in the first place and the tastelessness of joking about their losses, I don't have any moral outrage about the actuality of soldiers dying while in the field. There's not really a comparison to the other situation.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    edited March 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Man why are you so mean to me?

Okay, two.

(I totally forgot that you're a mod. You guys need to get a little marker up by your names again or something.)

tuxkamen on

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have noticed that D&D is a rather intimidating subforum to start posting in, especially when you see the reactions that certain people get after making mistakes. I'm not saying you guys need to change, I love it when people call me out for being a dumbass. You're just a little intimidating sometimes :D

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited March 2007
    I think what his point was addressing was not the actual joke.

It was the fact that the joke was made in a thread relevant to dead soldiers.

It'd be like making a crass, off-topic rape joke in an on-topic thread about rape.

While I don't really care in either of those contexts (as is evident because I was the person who said "I'm going to hell for laughing at that"), I think that it's something that is somewhat worthy of looking at.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It'd be like making a crass, off-topic rape joke in an on-topic thread about rape.

While I don't really care in either of those contexts (as is evident because I was the person who said "I'm going to hell for laughing at that"), I think that it's something that is somewhat worthy of looking at.

While that may be true, I dont think it's fair of him to blow up about it without voicing his concerns when it happened.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited March 2007

Well, I agree with that. Especially in this forum.

tuxkamen on

edited March 2007

If the thread revolved around some issue about counting the number of rape victims, a "The Count" post would not be regarded as any more crass than it was in the troop thread. It's an absurd and humorous aside that has nothing specifically to do with the issue under discussion.

Jokes revolving around "bitch deserved it" in a rape thread would be akin to "ololz babykillers" in a dead soldiers thread, and I don't think either would be well-received.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2007
    I can see the difference - but I believe that in both circumstances, either a joke about dead soldiers (in a thread about dead soldiers), or a joke about rape victims (in a relevant rape thread), would be considered offensive to some people who are sensitive about the issue.

That's a very short version of what I was going to say, but I have class.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited March 2007
    I can see the difference - but I believe that in both circumstances, either a joke about dead soldiers (in a thread about dead soldiers), or a joke about rape victims (in a relevant rape thread), would be considered offensive to some people who are sensitive about the issue.

Would a joke about having to kill a puppy to achieve orgasm also be considered offensive? There's a line between too-offensive and not, sure, but it's way further out there in the entire spectrum of P-A than it is on, say, CNN.

ViolentChemistry on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Would a joke about having to kill a puppy to achieve orgasm also be considered offensive? There's a line between too-offensive and not, sure, but it's way further out there in the entire spectrum of P-A than it is on, say, CNN.

Didn't you see CNN's expose on insurgents raping dead soldiers with puppies? The anchor was cracking up by the end of the segment.

moniker on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    also: has D&D been introduced to "abloo, abloobloobloo"?

because you guys could really get some mileage out of it

think of it, someone comes in and says something so stupid that your face is in danger of being stabbed by your own hands just in case the words have carried with them the flesh-eating bacteria.

but yet, hope!

for with a simple "abloo bloo blooo blooblooobloooo" or something to that extent, you can ward off all stupidity by mocking it with this scientifically-crafted insult

it's genius!

Raneados on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raneados wrote: »

think of it, someone comes in and says something so stupid that your face is in danger of being stabbed by your own hands just in case the words have carried with them the flesh-eating bacteria.

but yet, hope!

for with a simple "abloo bloo blooo blooblooobloooo" or something to that extent, you can ward off all stupidity by mocking it with this scientifically-crafted insult

it's genius!
    We use it in [chat]...

Aldo on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    all these chat rules

they're dumb

Raneados on
    edited March 2007

but yet, hope!

it's genius!
    We tend to reserve it for cases in which someone is complaining about being unfairly victimized. If someone's making a point, even stupid, we encourage making every attempt to address it directly, if a little caustically at times.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

but yet, hope!

it's genius!
    Rane, I imported it here.
    I am covering all the bases doggie

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2007
    all these chat rules

they're dumb
    There are no rules, that's why we can use it there. Going a bloo a bloo a bloo in a discussion would probably get your ass kicked by a mod.

Aldo on
    edited March 2007
    hi5 kusu

also, D&D seems far too uptight for me :(

maybe it's the years in SE, they have made me a cockmongler

Raneados on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    You give yourself too much credit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    all these chat rules

they're dumb
    There are no rules, that's why we can use it there. Going a bloo a bloo a bloo in a discussion would probably get your ass kicked by a mod.

mods can go suck it

Raneados on
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    all these chat rules

they're dumb

mods can go suck it

When I said "get your ass kicked" I meant it like "a mod will fly over to your bluff and kick your ass" ;)

Aldo on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    hi5 kusu

also, D&D seems far too uptight for me :(

maybe it's the years in SE, they have made me a cockmongler

hi5 rainydoos.
    I am slowly becoming more of an SE++ person

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    hi5 rainydoos.
    I am slowly becoming more of an SE++ person
    You've always been more of an SE++ person. You just happened to post mostly in the D&D [chat] thread.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png