As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Natal - Peter Molyneux wants you to touch his child

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    "Milo, do you like... gladiator games?"

"... have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?"

xraydog on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I guess this is why Sarah Connor Chronicles was canceled. No more point. Everybody now knows that Peter Molyneaux created SkyNet. All of those years of superlatives and hyperbole, he finally fucking did it. Damn you, Molyneaux.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, it just occurred to me how much harder this will be for developers to tackle than just motion control is/was. There are going to be a lot more degrees of freedom than either traditional twin stick controls or motion controls.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm just overcome by the horrible things people are going to do with this.

"Noted game developer makes virtual child abuse a reality, experts horrified. Sheep, more than just barnyard companions? More after the break."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Um. Wow.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would have preferred this be used on the next Xbox but I'll give it a go when it comes out. I love motion controls and it's a much larger step than the eyetoy managed. Well ... if it works as well as shown.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Another random thought: a boxing game with this controller. Instead of just arm movements, you could dodge with your whole body and such, that might be fun.

Random thought 2: just outright "kick the shit out this guy however you want" game with this controller.

3: More efficient, helpful exercise games?

Darlan on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, even just combining the power of Natal with a 360 controller for simple stuff like peeking out from cover...this could be really great.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    I love motion controls

What.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hentia games for the 360 are going to go up big time.

Don't worry they'll change the blood to green.

Cade on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm just overcome by the horrible things people are going to do with this.

"Noted game developer makes virtual child abuse a reality, experts horrified. Sheep, more than just barnyard companions? More after the break."

"Parents neglect child in favour of virtual son, is Milo too adorable? More at 8."

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is this going to be a standard pack-in?
    Because if not expect it to make no difference whatsoever.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Because if not expect it do make no difference whatsoever.
    Yes, supposedly.

Monger on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No. Rumour mill suggests very uncompetitive pricing as well.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peter Molyneaux has never set the expectations for any of his projects into the upper stratosphere. Thus, I believe this will be everything he says it will and more!

Brian on
  • Options
    yzzlthtzyzzlthtz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    george-x wrote: »
    For such a horribly unevental (MGS notwithstanding) presser, these last 10 minutes were a huge ace in the hole.

were they? everything in the motion sensing demo looked like it was on rails.
    only the future will tell!

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, that's the end of that, then.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i can already see how this feature will be overhyped for a long time to come...
    i really wasnt very impressed, partly since i worked with similar technolgy at university and already know how limited it is, but also because their footage clearly shows already. controlling these games will feel extremly unresponsive, theres noticable lag in all the videos, plus a lot of movement inconsistencies everywhere.

now, i think that this is certainly an adequate alternative to all the wii waggle causual fluff games, wii sports, wii fit, etc, i can see all these games working with natal perfectly fine, if not better. but im a gamer, so i couldnt care less about all this crap. when the wii came out years ago, this sort of thing was novel and interesting, but at this point its clear that any serious gamer wants precission.

the only thing i found remotely impressive was the face recognition, but the number of gaming applications i can think of seems fairly small and the most genuine reaction this could probably get out of myself is freaking me the fuck out when my face gets banned from all microsoft servers for saying fuck in a game or something.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is this Fable 3?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think Natal is a bad idea with our current level of technology. It has no concept of space, it only interprets a 2D image to the best of its abilities. You need to have a physical element as well as a spatial element, something to triangulate position with for true accuracy. Additionally it is helpful to have a real, tactile frame of reference that you hold in your hand; of course this should be possible, but they're touting the whole "no controller" thing.

And voice recognition, really? That went over so well on the DS. We're largely still nowhere near a workable level of accuracy on that, and people in general feel awkward about yelling at their game systems. Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough, but right now it looks like they're using a living room microphone like WiiSpeak, so they'll also have to be careful about not letting ambient noise or kid brothers mess up your game. I can see Milo going "I don't understand that" over and over again.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Weird, I could've sworn I remember them saying it'd be packed in during the conference. Can't find an article that confirms either way.

edit:
    I think Natal is a bad idea with our current level of technology. It has no concept of space, it only interprets a 2D image to the best of its abilities. You need to have a physical element as well as a spatial element, something to triangulate position with for true accuracy. Additionally it is helpful to have a real, tactile frame of reference that you hold in your hand; of course this should be possible, but they're touting the whole "no controller" thing.
    I don't think they've talked about it yet, but if this is the tech that MS is rumored to be working with (which was demoed at CES a couple years ago, IIRC), it uses a laser or something similar to read distances to the space the camera points at, then creates a dynamic normal map that can be read by whatever software.

And personally, I think the best uses of this will be as a supplement to a traditional controller rather than a replacement.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Monger wrote: »

Weird, I could've sworn I remember them saying it'd be packed in during the conference. Can't find an article that confirms either way.
    During the conference they said it will work with all future systems, not included.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What interests me is that now I can really feel like Tom Cruise in Minority Report.

What frightens me is that Skynet is finally forming.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm unimpressed.

However, this seems like it may work slightly better than the PS Eye.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    What interests me is that now I can really feel like Robert Downey, Jr. in Iron Man.

What frightens me is that Skynet is finally forming.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Extremely impressive tech. I hope a lot of really interesting Arcade games come from this.

My bet is that it comes standard next generation with the new Xbox along side a new controller.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

During the conference they said it will work with all future systems, not included.
    So, I'm delusional, then. Awesome.

Monger on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    peter molyneux making huge promises?

i'm sure he won't let us down this time!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think they've talked about it yet, but if this is the tech that MS is rumored to be working with (which was demoed at CES a couple years ago, IIRC), it uses a laser or something similar to read distances to the space the camera points at, then creates a dynamic normal map that can be read by whatever software.

And personally, I think the best uses of this will be as a supplement to a traditional controller rather than a replacement.
    If that is true then that is impressive. But I have not seen it yet, so far I've seen a rather shaky black outline of a guy which the DSi can also do.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If that is true then that is impressive. But I have not seen it yet, so far I've seen a rather shaky black outline of a guy which the DSi can also do.

Plus the company that designed this technology (3DV Systems Ltd, out of Israel) basically won a shit ton of "Best in Show" awards for this thing (then called the "zcam") at CES. They've managed to get these things made for well under 100 bucks a pop too so I can see in a years time that price just going down and these things being priced at 79.99 with a bundle of "demos" to download or play on a disc.

The technology is really awesome, MS needs to push the shit out of this so EVERYONE has it in place. I'm willing to bet in 5 years time this will be tech built into nearly every entertainment device standard since it's so cheap to produce. PC's, TV's, etc. Fuck a touch-screen when you don't even need to touch anything to operate stuff.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet in 5 years time this will be tech built into nearly every entertainment device standard since it's so cheap to produce. PC's, TV's, etc. Fuck a touch-screen when you don't even need to touch anything to operate stuff.
    Nope, it'll never happen. Heck, you're talking about touch screens which have been around for a long time now and still aren't standard in every device. Full body motion sensing/voice control/interpretation? No way, not by a long shot.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So, I'm delusional, then. Awesome.

Eh, I made the same mistake; so you're not totally crazy :P

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Milo will probably be about as smart as the poop-flinging pets from Black & White, outside of closed demos.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Milo thing is complete horseshit unless (among other things):

A. They have some software that generates voice acting.

B. It's extremely limited.

God, I hate Molyneux.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Incredible idea. Kids used to have Teddy Ruxpin or dolls to interact with, now they may be able to have an actual child on the screen that recognizes them and plays games. Yes, every thread on this subject is filled with pedo responses and that is too bad if that is the first thing someone thinks about when they see a child. I want to see a child playing around with this thing. Of course an adult will think its scripted and fake and lame etc. I little kid will probably think the opposite.

Broktune on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, what did Teddy Ruxpin do? He blinked eyes and moved his mouth but you could set the cassette tape in any player and hear the same story. Did Teddy have any other moving parts?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

edit:

You is winner: CES 2008: 3DV's ZCam gaming webcam

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wait, what did Teddy Ruxpin do? He blinked eyes and moved his mouth but you could set the cassette tape in any player and hear the same story. Did Teddy have any other moving parts?

He did all kinds of stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM6pQJvZXMk

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'm getting faint flashbacks to late 2005.

Remember, back when the Wiimote could do anything?

Yeah. Good luck with everything, Microsoft.

That's exactly how I'm feeling about this. Until I see actual games for it, I'm going to be skeptical as all hell. That and pricing.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, other than the milo thing, I'm not seeing anything that much more impressive than the eyetoy.

Talking about milo, any new news about the eyepet?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png