As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii games to play with the family! (Recommend me some)

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
So I have a Wii.

I've had a Wii for awhile. Nearly two years now in fact.

What I don't have is many games. I have the basics, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, etc etc.

But the problem is the only multiplayer games I have are Wii Sports, Wii Play and Tetris Party (which is excellent btw). We've been having family over more and more lately and my wife was in an accident back in November and she's still recovering which means she's home all the time and we're struggling to find things to do that we haven't done a million times already.

So after neglecting my Wii for the past year after I got my 360, I've been looking into picking up some fun games that I can play with the wife and are still good for 3-4 players. Rather, I should say that the other way around: I'm looking for 3-4 player games that are still fun for only 2 people.

I'm going to pick up Boom Blox as soon as the local Wal-mart gets it in stock (yay for gift cards!), we know we really enjoy that; but aside from that I have no real experience with Wii multiplayer games.

So suggest me some.

And the conditions are: They have to be family friendly and suitable for non-gamers since I'm pretty much the only gamer in my, or my wife's family.

Smash brothers is out; I've never really been a fan. I've tried it a few times on a friends Wii and it just didn't do it for me. Mario Kart isn't out per say, but it really doesn't need suggesting since everyone and their brother knows about it. My wife just doesn't like racing games really. Wii Fit is well...too expensive right now. If I could find it in a store for retail price I'd probably be interested but that's like winning the lottery. There's Rock Band and its ilk but the cost puts those really out of reach atm financially.

The games you suggest can be either retail Wii games or WiiWare games.

Suggest away!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mario Party is a great party/co-op game. If I think of more I'll edit it in. :P

urahonky on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bomberman 93 (Up to 5 players if you have a GC controller)
    Mario Strikers Charged (You can disable the crazy stuff if it's too much for the inexperienced)
    Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection ($20 everywhere at the most, 4 player with one controller hot potato style)

If you have a GC controller and memory card, go find Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. It also has multiplayer with one controller.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that pinball game that good?

Costco had like a billion in stock for $15 when I was there Saturday. I just chalked it up as the typical bargain bin wii trash.

EDIT: Has anyone tried: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71478 (Hasbro Game Night)?

The Dude With Herpes on

• eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't remember if it had any multiplayer or anything, but just doing puzzles in boom blox can be fun taking turns and passing around the controller.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that pinball game that good?

Costco had like a billion in stock for $15 when I was there Saturday. I just chalked it up as the typical bargain bin wii trash.

EDIT: Has anyone tried: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71478 (Hasbro Game Night)?

YES!

It's pretty much the best pinball game you can buy. It's only in the bargain bin because it always was $20, or because it's pinball and gets lumped in with other pinball games for the PC that you see in bargain bins. Williams Collection just does not deserve to be there and should be on the shelves with the rest of the kick-ass games.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves or the Rayman: Raving Rabbits Games are fun.
    I'll second the recomendation of Mario Strikers Charged.
    Is Donkey Kong Country available on the Virtual Console? It's one of my all time favourite Jump 'n Runs and has a very good 2 player mode.

Delinator on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, DKC is on the VC. It was the second VC game I bought actually, after Sim City (I loved the SNES one to death, for some odd reason, partially the music). I can't say I ever played it mulitplayer though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll be following this thread closely as well.

My girlfriend was over last night and all we really had to play was Wii Sports & Mario Kart.

Boom Blox never looked all that interesting--but I guess I'll have to look up some reviews.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll be following this thread closely as well.

My girlfriend was over last night and all we really had to play was Wii Sports & Mario Kart.

Boom Blox never looked all that interesting--but I guess I'll have to look up some reviews.

Boom Blox is a blast (pun intended). I strongly recommend it.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Boom Blox, Mario Party, World of Goo can be done with up to 4 players I think (Co-Op). They should all be pretty fun.

FunnyFreak on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Boom Blox is the perfect game to play with ANYone.

Also, I've noticed you have Tetris Party, which means you can access Wiiware. How about Bomberman Blast and Dr.Mario Rx? Both are excellent games.

Bomberman Blast has a lot of customization, two different sizes of terrains (one meant for 4P play and one for 8P play), requires only the wiimote sideways, and with its options and item customization, you could set up noob-friendly games or more hardcore tourneys.

Djiem on
    edited January 2009
    Does Dr. Mario have a lot of different modes like Tetris Party does? I think just straight up Dr. Mario would get old pretty quick. Bomberman is a good idea though.

What's World of Goo like? Was that the one that was supposedly 90% pirated? It didn't look like a group game, like a platformer maybe.

Also yes, Boom Blox is good for everyone. If you like fun you should get it, as I will.

The Dude With Herpes on

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Dr.Mario game has some other options, but I didn't investigate them.

Also, I dunno if it's good or not, but there's this Maboshi's Arcade that came up on Wiiware and looks pretty interesting.

Finally, if you are in a party (family or not) and you have an even number of players, Big Brain Academy has pretty fun multiplayer.

Djiem on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good 2+ games for non/casual gamers?

Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, Rock Band 2, Boom Blox, Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic ATOG, Bomberman Blast.. there's also potentially the Sega SuperStars Tennis if you don't mind the controls not being all that great but at least functional.

Boom Blox is really truly amazing for family/friends together though.

slash000 on
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr Mario has a second game with it called Germ Buster. It's kind of a slow paced version of the game but up to four players have to co-operate to move things around using a wiimote (point and drag style) each.
    It can be pretty entertaining especially when you work out you can move the fallin pieces of pills about after you match colours.

Also do you have Wii Play? A few of those games (cow racing and fising are favorites here) are good for two players and short enough that others won't get bored waiting for a turn.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Good 2+ games for non/casual gamers?

Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, Rock Band 2, Boom Blox, Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic ATOG, Bomberman Blast.. there's also potentially the Sega SuperStars Tennis if you don't mind the controls not being all that great but at least functional.

Boom Blox is really truly amazing for family/friends together though.

I'm surprised Slash hasn't put the link to the Slash's mega buster game recommendations for everyone and anyone!
    It's not a link

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • carolina17carolina17 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Super Mario Galaxy for sure and Super Paper Mario

carolina17 on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just here to throw another vote in for Boom Blox. It really is pretty damn awesome. I have the second game on order, and I hear it's just as good if not better.

SteevL on
    edited June 2009
    Wow necro post guys :lol:

I ended up getting Tetris Party and Boom Blox, which were both fun, but didn't entertain us too long. Can't play the same games over and over again.

Boom Blox 2 or whatever it's called looks ok but not different enough from the first one to warrant another purchase.

To be honest Nintendos E3 presentation tomorrow will decide for me if I'm keeping or selling the Wii. There are games coming out, or that are out that look cool, but not enough to keep the system right now. It's just sitting on top of the TV and we turned it on for the first time in literally months two nights ago.

This isn't bashing the Wii. It's a fine system that could use more care in the games made for it. If there were more games with even half the polish of a SMG or MP:3 then it would be amazing.

:(

The Dude With Herpes on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Little King's Story is at least as good as the forementioned games, having now finished it.

Xagarath on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I didn't even notice the original post was from January. Jeez.

SteevL on