As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA] - Timeline - Greed / Anarchy Victory

VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
The Story So Far:

June 1, 2019

The Program for Human to Android Life Lesson Advancement (PHALLA) has spent the past five years attempting to develop the programming necessary to grant uniquely human traits to robotic entities. In order to accomplish this goal the program needs to quantify and define the exact specifications of human nature. To that end virtual reality simulations are performed on batches of test subjects in order to see how humans react to various circumstances in a laboratory setting. This is the latest of these simulations...

Welcome to a new world.

This world, like others of which you might be aware, does not obey the traditional principles of time. The rules here are more flexible as time is a variable that ebbs and flows with your actions, not an untameable constant. This world is alive and will play a part in the events to come.

As such, it makes sense that you are not tied to the standard progression of time. While the days in this world will continue to march on, as you might otherwise expect, you are not tied to their progression. Again like other worlds, your failures here will not result in your termination, but rather your regression through the Timeline. You will begin your path here again, and again, and again, and again as necessary.

And while you may start over an infinite number of times, you will quickly find that the resources here are limited. As such this world offers a certain kind of dilemma. You will be assigned a role in this struggle at the start of the simulation so that PHALLA may determine what rules of morality humans follow and if they can learn from their mistakes using the Timeline Mechanic.

Game Mechanics:

General:

Game Days will end at 7:00 PM Eastern Time.

Send all PMs to Varcayn.

All general rules (no screenshots, no forwarding or directly quoting role PMs, no anonymous contact and so forth) as found in the main thread, are in effect.

Failing to vote on two consecutive days or on any three days will lead to your replacement / removal.

Vote ties will be broken by the first person to reach the tied value after all retractions and re-votes. Whoever got there first will be the "winner".

I will be upfront about the core mechanics of this game; very little will be hidden from you. This does not apply to roles. That said, while some mechanics will be new and unconventional, roles will be largely standardized. You have your mafia, your village containing by and large the usual allotment of specials, and maybe a few typical neutrals. Give or take a few game specific roles you shouldn't be surprised here.

This is not a faction game.

The RNG will play no part in this game except to assign roles.

There are no conversions.

There are also no deaths, excluding those to inactivity.

Timeline Mechanics:

This is the section you should probably read if you tend to gloss over long OPs.

As you might expect, every 24 hours a game day will come to an end. In a typical game players that survive each day continue on to play through the next day. That will still happen here.

What is different is that players who would typically be killed on each day are returned to Day 1 and begin the game again. 24 hours later they will move on to Day 2, perhaps for the second time, while others move forward to Day 3 and more still are returned to Day 1. Such players will continue to play and will continue to cast votes and have access to any special abilities they may have. Mechanics also exist that can move people between days at will, but they are limited in nature.

There are several catches here. The first is that you can only use your special abilities on people in the same day as you, unless otherwise noted. The second is that while players may move between days, your votes are permanent. The best way to show this is perhaps through example:

Consider this game with 10 players:

They all start on Day 1. When Day 1 is resolved Player 1 is “killed” with 5 votes, Player 2 had 4 votes, and Player 3 had 1 vote. Players 9 and 10 are also “killed”.
The current Day will then become Day 2. Players 2 through 8 move to Day 2. Players 1, 9, and 10 go to Day 1.

Now Players 1, 9, and 10 can vote in Day 1’s vote again, which currently stands at 5-4. If all of them vote for Player 2, then when Day 2 is resolved for the first time, the Timeline will change. Ignoring what happens from Players 2 – 8, Player 2 will be moved to Day 2 (as he is now the Day 1 victim and is on that path through the game) while Player 1 will move to Day 3 as if he was never gone from the original time line.

As such, it is possible for players tossed back into the Timeline to continue impacting the game by forcing people back and forth through the Timeline using the vote of each day. For reasons relating to my sanity and because I can’t undo seer results, moving people with special abilities from the Current Day (defined as the most advanced day in the thread, the base path through the Timeline) back in time using this mechanic will not undo any special actions that person has used. This is not necessarily true of other time-manipulation mechanics. Also, someone can only be voted off from a Day if they were present on the Day when it was the Current Day.

The Mafia wins by controlling the vote of the Current Day. The Village wins by removing all members of the Mafia from the Current Day at once.

The Current Day will always take place in this thread. At the end of Day 1 a new thread will be created which will house all days that have already been resolved at least once and the players that live there.

You are free to read either thread at your leisure, but you may only post in the one where your character currently belongs.

When a player leaves the Current Day for the first time his role will be revealed as if he was killed in a normal game. Methods of death will not be announced.

Role Mechanics:

See here.

Clarifications:
Varcayn wrote: »
MrBlarney wrote: »
Clarification: When players are sent back in time, what happens to their old votes? Do the new ones replace the old, or do they stack?

They stack.
Perhaps I should add this then:

You can only vote in one Day's vote per day; the one you are in. If kime gets voted off on Day 1, and you're on Day 2, you can't do anything to either help or harm his chances of overturning his fate. You get to make one vote per day (after retractions and the like) so it's not as if you can stack votes on every day you have been on.

In the above example votes for kime from people on Day 2 would be null and void as he isn't (wasn't) there (in Day 2) to be voted off. You can only be voted off from one day at a time.
When sent back in time do all votes that take place in the players 'future' disappear? So if sent back to day one do votes made by the player in day two go away?

No.

Any vote you make at any point is permanent (again, after retractions and the like) and will be counted on that day for the rest of the game.

If you vote for kime on Day 3 and are later killed by the vote from Day 2, your vote against kime on Day 3 will still be counted.
Dunadan019 wrote: »
I say we all vote for 1 persone day one so that they get an insurmountable 50-0 vount count and can never change it and are permanently stuck at day 1.

lets do it to Kime!

I don't think it works that way. If you get voted out on Day 1, then on Main Timeline Day 2, you will be on Day 1. On Main Timeline Day 3, you will be on Day 2. Basically, if you get eliminated from the Main Timeline on Day X, then when the Main Timeline is on Day Y, you will be on Day Y - X. The timeline mechanic will probability be useful for changing the vote to set up network heads and verified players only to a limited extent, since causality cannot be overturned for special abilities (as far as we know right now). Being killed by a vigilante or the mafia means that you cannot return to the Main Timeline - you are effectively dead, but can still affect the game through the Alternate Timeline voting.

Of course, my understanding could be flawed and what I've stated does not actually hold.

This understanding of events is accurate. That said, as players retain their special abilities when moved back in Time and as there are abilities that can move people through the Timeline at will, your equation to determine a person's day is not guaranteed to be accurate for everyone at all times, but barring such interference it will hold.

Vote stacking implies if you get sent back to Day 1 to cast a new vote it is counted in addition to your previous vote(s) for Day 1, not instead of. From a mechanics (or theme) standpoint the daily votes are unique in how they are treated by the Timeline. There will only be one Day 1 vote victim at a time. If you get sent back to Day 1 you can use you vote to try to change or sustain his fate, but you will not be voting for an additional new victim.
In other words, I can try to get the previous victim outvoted so he'll survive, but I can't get someone else voted off as a result?

If you outvote the previous victim the new victim will take his place. Perhaps I should have said There will only be one Day 1 victim at a time. It's not as if someone will be sent to Day 1 because they are winning the Day 1 vote every single day.

i.e. What won't happen is me saying "Varcayn is winning the Day 1 vote, therefore he will always be moved to the start of Day 1 every day until someone else takes over." as some people were speculating might happen to kime. You can not create a time loop in that manner. It will be essentially impossible to keep someone on Day 1 for any significant length of time.
How does alternate timelining affect the use of proboards, if at all?

No effect.
Kay wrote: »
Also, what are the rules on communicating with people on previous days?

You can only post in the thread you currently reside in. Beyond that no restrictions.

Credit Where It's Due:

Theme and mechanics partially inspired by a combination of Lost, Braid, and The Phalliad.

Disclaimer:

This is the first time I've hosted a game of this size. I've done my best to ensure it's balance, but as it contains a mechanic that (to the extent of my knowledge) has not been seen before on these boards, I can make no promises.

Feedback of all kinds will be welcomed post-game.

Varcayn on

• VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Player List:

Endgame:

crimsoncoyote - Tabula Rasa
    Kay - Anarchy
    lonelyahava - Greed
    Nion - Tabula Rasa
    Trust - Greed

This Thread:

Killed Current Day 9:

Dac Vin – Tabula Rasa
    FreeAgent - Tabula Rasa
    MrBlarney – Tabula Rasa
    TehSloth - Tabula Rasa
    Tommy2Hands – Tabula Rasa
    [strike]Typhus733[/strike] Romantic Undead - Tabula Rasa

Other Thread:

Day 8:

CorpseRT - Tabula Rasa
    Powerpuppies – Tabula Rasa

Day 7:

Bremen – Wisdom – Tabula Rasa Aligned
    dunedainjedi - Tabula Rasa
    Kuhlmeye – Tabula Rasa
    Shanic - Tabula Rasa
    Virral – Tabula Rasa

Day 6:

CrownAxe – Tabula Rasa
    Cynic Jester - Greed
    Dunadan019 – Tabula Rasa

Day 5:

Kime – Pacifism
    LightRider – Tabula Rasa
    Ryadic – Tabula Rasa
    ShadowThomas - Greed

Day 4:

abotkin - Greed
    Daius - Rage
    Rend - Inquisition

Day 3:

Delroland – Greed
    Erich Zahn - Greed
    MacGuffin – Tabula Rasa
    [strike]Maximus[/strike] Wildcat – Greed
    Simonwolf – Tabula Rasa

Day 2:

Darian - Wisdom - Greed Aligned
    Infidel - Pacifism
    [strike]Jason Todd[/strike] Houn - Tabula Rasa
    Orange Soda - Greed
    SkyCaptain – Greed

Day 1:

Delmain - Tabula Rasa
    Enlightenedbum – Determination
    Exarch - Greed
    Julius Caezure - Tabula Rasa
    ProfMoriarty - Inquisition
    Raakam - Tabula Rasa

Driven Insane:

Arasaki - Tabula Rasa
    JaysonFour – Tabula Rasa
    Jdarksun – Tabula Rasa
    stormwind - Tabula Rasa
    Zandracon – Greed
    Zellpher – Determination

Links to Narrations:

0. Opening Narration
    1. Current Day 1
    2. Current Day 2
    3. Current Day 3
    4. Current Day 4
    5. Current Day 5
    6. Current Day 6
    7. Current Day 7
    8. Current Day 8
    9. Current Day 9
    a. Role PMs
    b. Post Game Commentary

Varcayn on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will always sign up for transhuman settings. Always.

Burnage on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FIRST

Edit: Burnage, I will end you! Your death is my goal this game.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !What the frak...

Awesome.

iamtheaznman on
  • dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks AWESOME SignUP!

dunedainjedi on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kime wrote: »

What you need to ask yourself is why this is not your goal in every game.

Burnage on
    edited June 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

What you need to ask yourself is why this is not your goal in every game.

I'm dangerous, RAWR! Do you really want to tempt me!?

kime on
    Steam profile
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !I'm so confused but damn this looks good

simonwolf on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this sounds like it will destroy my brain

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sure why not!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited June 2009
    Hahaha, so I didn't really read the Timeline stuff before signing up. But WOW, this sounds excellent.

And my head is going to hurt so much haha.

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited June 2009
    Hahaha, so I didn't really read the Timeline stuff before signing up. But WOW, this sounds excellent.

Man there was orange text and everything :P

Varcayn on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthetic Kinetic Youth Calibrated for Accurate Peacekeeping, Thorough Assassination and Immediate Nullification online.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited June 2009

Man there was orange text and everything :P

I was trying to be first!

kime on
    Steam profile
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What the hell.

On the one hand, this is intriguing as all hell and looks deliciously confusing.

On the other hand, early vote close is EARLY and I'm already in two minis...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I already have a headache

oh god what am i doing

!sign up

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my god my brain

I can't do this with Finals coming up, there's just no way

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is madness.

Madness? THIS IS AWESOME!

Sign On!

SpectralSpork on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Sign right the hell up

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !I have to be involved in this.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy fuck yes.

Time to get out all those bits of string I've been saving.
    Save the Cheeleader, Save the Phalla?
    So sorry

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    is this the andromeda strain phalla?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Ow

lonelyahava on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... not signing up quite yet.

Clarification: When players are sent back in time, what happens to their old votes? Do the new ones replace the old, or do they stack?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited June 2009

They stack.

Varcayn on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

They stack.

Hm. That's not as fun. Or as sensible.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

They stack.

But think of the fun! KIME GETS 1000000 VOTES! FOREVER!

SpectralSpork on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I will follow kime through time to murder him repeatedly.

LightRider on
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Aneurysm ahoy!

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    edited June 2009

They stack.

But think of the fun! KIME GETS 1000000 VOTES! FOREVER!
    LightRider wrote: »
    I will follow kime through time to murder him repeatedly.

Awww man. I just realized I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the past haha. Beyond that, I can't "kill" any people I'd want to, because then they'd just stack more votes to keep me back there.

hmmm.... dang, this is gonna take some strategy...

kime on
    Steam profile
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the same vein of Mr B question:

When sent back in time do all votes that take place in the players 'future' disappear? So if sent back to day one do votes made by the player in day two go away?

dunedainjedi on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay for the butterfly effect!

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009

Oh man, can you just imagine the potential for a cascade when that happens? As Dac Vin said, butterfly effect like crazy haha.

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited June 2009
    Perhaps I should add this then:

You can only vote in one Day's vote per day; the one you are in. If kime gets voted off on Day 1, and you're on Day 2, you can't do anything to either help or harm his chances of overturning his fate. You get to make one vote per day (after retractions and the like) so it's not as if you can stack votes on every day you have been on.

In the above example votes for kime from people on Day 2 would be null and void as he isn't (wasn't) there (in Day 2) to be voted off. You can only be voted off from one day at a time.

Varcayn on
    edited June 2009

No.

Any vote you make at any point is permanent (again, after retractions and the like) and will be counted on that day for the rest of the game.

If you vote for kime on Day 3 and are later killed by the vote from Day 2, your vote against kime on Day 3 will still be counted.

Varcayn on
    edited June 2009
    I think Burnage should be our "if he gets voted out on Day x" example instead of kime. No need to be giving anyone ideas :P.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Sign UP

FOR PERPETUAL DAY 1 KILLING

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Kime was sent back in time to murder himself in order to prevent himself from becoming the resistance leader against the rise of the kime army.

He also has to impregnate his own mother.

LightRider on
    edited June 2009
    I think Burnage should be our "if he gets voted out on Day x" example instead of kime. No need to be giving anyone ideas :P.

I go with the examples I'm given. :P

But fair enough, I'll make up a name in future.

Varcayn on