As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBLA etc.: Recalling the Golden Age of Arcade Brawlers

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
Out Aug. 18 in the U.S.:

bannerdefault.jpg
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (1200 points)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the first ever co-op multiplayer action/adventure game featuring Lara Croft. This brand new adventure combines the hallmarks of the Tomb Raider franchise, including exploration and discovery, platforming, and puzzle solving combined with character progression, fun fast-paced combat, and elements of human cooperation and competition.

* New Lara Croft adventure: Guardian of Light is the first downloadable only title from Crystal Dynamics, and the first downloadable only Lara Croft game.
* Classic gameplay: Enjoy a classic formula of puzzles, combat, exploration, and breathtaking visuals put through the lens of an isometric fast-paced gaming experience.
* Exploration and discovery: Use a wide range of options for solving puzzles and traversing deadly environmental traps, offering an unprecedented level of freedom to choose your own solutions and explore various paths through the dense jungles of Central America.
* Sprawling environments: Crystal Dynamics' proprietary engine delivers sprawling environments with no load-times and unbelievable vertical gameplay through tombs reaching deep into the Earth.
* Undead warriors: Face off against a myriad of undead warriors brought to life by the evil Xololt, including a number of boss battles that are not to be missed!
* Co-op action: Guardian of Light is the first ever co-op multiplayer action/adventure game featuring Lara Croft with fully cooperative online and offline story mode.

Coming Aug. 25 in the U.S.:

bannerdefault.jpg
Shank (1200 points)
Betrayed by the only family he ever knew and left for dead it's up to Shank to seek revenge for the death of his beloved at the hands of the underworld's deadliest assassins. Utilizing his knowledge of gang warfare and weaponry Shank must battle his way through the criminal underground in order to seek revenge against the people for bringing his world crashing down around him.

* Violent graphic novel art style: Step into a graphic novel with the most fluid and violent 2-D animation ever seen in a video game.
* Weapon-based combo system: String together endless combos of mayhem and destruction on the fly and pummel your opponents to the ground using an exhaustive arsenal of weapons.
* Gritty pulp cinematic experience: Using professionally animated cut scenes interspersed with gritty pulp-style story points, Shank tells a tale of guilt, redemption and revenge in a way never before seen on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

bannerdefault.jpg
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (1200 points)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game™ is the rock 'n' roll action love story for the eight-bit generation. Staying true to the graphic novels and upcoming movie, the game follows Scott Pilgrim's quest to date Ramona Flowers by defeating her seven evil exes.

The game is an arcade-style beat 'em up inspired by many classic retro games of the '80s and '90s. It features a four-player co-op mode where you can fight alongside Stephen Stills, Kim Pine, and Ramona to kick, punch, and beat your way through hordes of hipsters, emos, paparazzi, aliens, flying piggy banks (yes, flying piggy banks!), and much more. The eight-bit retro-gaming animations were created by the world-famous Pixel Artist Paul Robertson and the game features a soundtrack by chip-tune rockers Anamanaguchi.

* Play with your favorite characters: Fight as Scott Pilgrim, Ramona Flowers, Stephen Stills, Kim Pine or as one surprise character, each with their own signature moves and attacks. Team up with your friends on the same console and combine your skills in over-the-top super co-op attacks for more devastation. Not only can you help your friends by reviving their characters or sharing health and coins, but also compete with them in subspace mini-games to earn more experience, coins, and lives. Experience alternate game endings depending on the character you choose.
* Adventures in awesome eight-bit: Enjoy old-school graphic design with next-gen HD technology. The eight-bit retro-gaming animations are from the world-famous Pixel Artist Paul Robertson. More than 30 original music tracks by chiptune heroes Anamanaguchi rock the game and can be unlocked and collected for later enjoyment. The game features exclusive retro cut scenes and art by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Scott Pilgrim creator.
* Fight for love: Defeat Ramona's seven ex-boyfriends and their weird hordes of hipsters, emos, paparazzi, aliens, flying piggy banks (yes, flying piggy banks!), and many others. Progress by earning trophies that will allow your character to level up and learn numerous deadly fighting moves. Earn coins during your journey and exchange them in shops for food or snacks that increase your strength, speed, defense and will power.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This group of games sounds a whole lot better than that whole Spring of 2009 XBLA lineup that they had. Here, there's actually a decent chance that I'll end up picking up the entire lineup like I did with the 2008 Summer.

RainbowDespair on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oooooh, nice. Agreed, this is much better at their spring promotion. Shadow Complex is coming out this soon? Wow.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    More than half of these games are 100% bought for me, much better than the last line up.

They should have put this in the conference.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saw Shadow Complex today for the first time during the Microsoft E3 conference and it looks so good. Like Super Metroid good.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadow Complex trailer (HD version available)

This looks really, really good.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh, I just saw that trailer right before you put it up. I'm not really getting the Metroid vibe from the video; more of a Metal Gear Solid vibe. Then again, the comments they made about the game sound like it has Metroid style gameplay with a huge world & upgrades.

In any case, it looks very promising. I'd pay $15-$20 for it. If it's less than so much the better.

RainbowDespair on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best thing when they showed the game during the conference was when the spider boss glitched and then just became invisible but was still there

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow, a turtles in time remake? Anything out there on how that's gonna look?

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow, a turtles in time remake? Anything out there on how that's gonna look?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223159 has the only screen that I've seen from it, though I haven't really been looking that hard

turtles-in-time2.jpg

Gdiguy on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can find more screens here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No mention of Monkey Island in the OP? For shame!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50078.html

tofu on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh, I just saw that trailer right before you put it up. I'm not really getting the Metroid vibe from the video; more of a Metal Gear Solid vibe.

Of course, it's a metalroid-slugtra-vanianic-comangear. This is far more revolutionary than Natal.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OMG Shadow Complex. Looks like Controidvania Solid: Out of this World. Best game ever.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Say, wasn't there another side scroller brawler set in a fantasy world, where you can play as a fighter, rouge or wizard of some sort, that looks really nice graphicaly and has a coop mode? Or was that a PSN only game? I can't remember the name of it.

Oh, and I hope Shadow Complex doesn't have as many turret sequences as shown in the trailer.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadow Complex has taken an early lead to be the favourite thing I've seen this show. Some of thats down to how it looks like BC:rearmed though, and it is clearly a very different game.

Trials also looks awesome.

Lave II on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any word on pricing for these?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadow Complex had me at hello.

Oh and Moneky Island will be a buy even at 1200, I love that game.

Venkman90 on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Say, wasn't there another side scroller brawler set in a fantasy world, where you can play as a fighter, rouge or wizard of some sort, that looks really nice graphicaly and has a coop mode? Or was that a PSN only game? I can't remember the name of it.

Trine. And yeah, it's PSN exclusive IIRC

Edit: I just love the fact that Epic are working on a new 2D game. They haven't done one since they were known as EPIC MEGAGAMES

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can find more screens here.

ew 3d.

and ugly 3d at that.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think this years Summer of Arcade is much better than last years.... Marvel vs Capcom 2 and TMNT: Turtles in Time are both so bought it's not even funny.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What do you think of the chances of any of these being 800 MS funbux?

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited June 2009
    zilch...I'm guessing it'll end up being 1200 across the board.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    zilch...I'm guessing it'll end up being 1200 across the board.

Probably, but you never know—BC Rearmed was a surprise at 800 points.
    Lave II wrote:
    Shadow Complex has taken an early lead to be the favourite thing I've seen this show. Some of thats down to how it looks like BC:rearmed though, and it is clearly a very different game.

So far my favorite news is the Monkey Island revivals, but I definitely took this as my favorite part of the MS conference (along with Alan Wake), and a lot of it is how it evokes the same vibe as BC Rearmed. Interestingly, this is done by Chair, the same guys who did Undertow—and I didn't realize that Epic bought out Chair last summer. Undertow looks beautiful but didn't really do anything for me in terms of gameplay, so I'm hoping Shadow Complex knocks it out of the park.

Lunker on
    edited June 2009
    Developer walkthrough of Shadow Complex demo

There's a big emphasis on upgrading and gaining new powers to access new areas of the map, total Super Metroid style, and the developer promises a "massive, nonlinear world" with no loading screens. You gain experience through exploring the map instead of killing enemies. Here's a shot of the full map (at least shown):

picture3ssb.png

Looking better and better the more I see of it. <3

Lunker on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between Shadow Complex and Metroid: Other M, I'm glad to see the genre being brought up to par with modern gaming experiences.

Delzhand on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When does MvC2 come out on the PS3/360?

urahonky on
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Unknown quite yet, although given MvC2's high-profile nature I would bet it'll be either the first or the last title in the summer lineup, so anywhere from July 22 to late August.

Lunker on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn it all. The demo has me frothing out of the mouth... And I don't normally like fighting games.

urahonky on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This might sound a bit stupid, but when is "summer" in the US?

Also, Military Madness: Nectaris is announced for summer too... yet isn't part of the Summer of XBLA promotion, something tells me it isn't going to sell well.

Zell on
    edited June 2009
    Between Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Tetsunoko vs Capcom, I'm going to be in fighter heaven. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Unknown quite yet, although given MvC2's high-profile nature I would bet it'll be either the first or the last title in the summer lineup, so anywhere from July 22 to late August.

This is true according to IGN

Hugh Jass on
    edited June 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    This might sound a bit stupid, but when is "summer" in the US?

Roughly May-August.

Delzhand on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lave II wrote:

So far my favorite news is the Monkey Island revivals, but I definitely took this as my favorite part of the MS conference (along with Alan Wake), and a lot of it is how it evokes the same vibe as BC Rearmed. Interestingly, this is done by Chair, the same guys who did Undertow—and I didn't realize that Epic bought out Chair last summer. Undertow looks beautiful but didn't really do anything for me in terms of gameplay, so I'm hoping Shadow Complex knocks it out of the park.

The Monkey Island revivals I'm unsure off. Hopeful, but unsure.

Chair? Ah, thats a little worrying and Undertow was quite shallow (PUN) and didn't grip me. Still they clearly put a huge amount of effort into it, so here's hoping.

Complex is my most wanted title for the 360 but now the reveals of New Super Mario Bros for Wii's happened I've got 2 platformers! Awesome stuff.

My love for XBLA has waned a little since 1200 funbucks became the default. £6.80 (800) is two pints and just sneaks inside my impulse buy limited. So an interesting idea makes me take a chance on it.
    But 1200 is £10.20 which is just too much unless I'm certain I'll like it. Especially as I can't Goozex it of flog it after. Which has created a kind of feedback loop of me caring less. If that makes sense. So it's really nice that a game has 'got me' again.
    Developer walkthrough of Shadow Complex demo

There's a big emphasis on upgrading and gaining new powers to access new areas of the map, total Super Metroid style, and the developer promises a "massive, nonlinear world" with no loading screens. You gain experience through exploring the map instead of killing enemies. Here's a shot of the full map (at least shown):

picture3ssb.png

Looking better and better the more I see of it. <3

I've always thought the bolded text was a brilliant approach to games but I've never seen it written so sustinctly wonderful stuff. More games should take that ethos.

Even JRPGs.

Lave II on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shadow complex looks awesome, but the jumping looks pretty awkward.

Here's this average guy going for a hike with his wife and he can jump about 3 times his height.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Project Cube (Geometry Wars-style dual stick shooter) felt ready to go, at least for single-player. Square Enix is still just saying "in 2009" though. I liked the "catch their bullets and shoot them back" mechanic, since I suck at dodging.

Battlefield 1943 is pretty much ready, too. It will probably mean curtains for Battlestations Midway/Pacific.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

Here's this average guy going for a hike with his wife and he can jump about 3 times his height.

Willing suspension of disbelief imperative to the playability of the genre.

Delzhand on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

Willing suspension of disbelief imperative to the playability of the genre.

Yeah, I guess.

It stops looking so weird when he's got his armor on, it's no biggie.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    (bump)
    I am looking forward to Shadow Complex, although the background story sounds kind of stupid. I'm hoping they don't focus too much on the events of the novel on which its based. Admittedly I haven't read the book, but its description gives me no reason to read it.

It won't matter if the game is fun, though. I don't think we've had a true non-handheld Metroidvania style game since SotN, have we? Not counting PC stuff like Cave Story, of course.

SteevL on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    (bump)
    I am looking forward to Shadow Complex, although the background story sounds kind of stupid. I'm hoping they don't focus too much on the events of the novel on which its based. Admittedly I haven't read the book, but its description gives me no reason to read it.

It won't matter if the game is fun, though. I don't think we've had a true non-handheld Metroidvania style game since SotN, have we? Not counting PC stuff like Cave Story, of course.

I got lucky and played Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Fustion on my TV.
    GameBoy Player is so awesome.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I did that too with Fusion. :)

I wish there was a way to make the GBP work with the Wii, although it'd look incredibly silly.

SteevL on
This discussion has been closed.