As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I played back when this thread was in full swing. I beat the main adventure, had a lot of fun.

Then I threw my melding jar with all my good swords in it. While wearing a pitcher's armband. Then I stopped playing.

I just started again, but I don't know how often I'll read this thread. What's the name on your travel log? There's hardly any rescue requests posted in the game anymore, so if it's something I can pick out of the list I'll grab it when I see it.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eventually (I think after you beat the main quest) there will be a cart that you can take to skip from the first town to other areas, but that's usually not a good idea unless you need to do something quick or have some rad gear on you.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xa52 wrote: »
    I played back when this thread was in full swing. I beat the main adventure, had a lot of fun.

Then I threw my melding jar with all my good swords in it. While wearing a pitcher's armband. Then I stopped playing.

I just started again, but I don't know how often I'll read this thread. What's the name on your travel log? There's hardly any rescue requests posted in the game anymore, so if it's something I can pick out of the list I'll grab it when I see it.

That's one of the biggest issues I have with Shiren. I really don't like being able (and feeling that it's necessary) to carry over good weapons.

solsovly on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Eventually (I think after you beat the main quest) there will be a cart that you can take to skip from the first town to other areas, but that's usually not a good idea unless you need to do something quick or have some rad gear on you.

I haven't beaten the main quest on my data and I have the cart.

Not sure what triggered it though.

Slicer on
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the cart is from talking to the guy who is looking into a new business. he starts it up after a few playthroughs

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited May 2009
    Ahh, it's been a while, ha.

I see what you're saying, Solsovly, but I like that you can make it through the main quest without any planning, but need to prepare more if you want to make it through a couple of the others.

METAzraeL on

• PooshlmerPooshlmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    That's one of the biggest issues I have with Shiren. I really don't like being able (and feeling that it's necessary) to carry over good weapons.

It's only necessary if you want a guaranteed win. Otherwise with enough knowledge and luck you can beat the game starting with nothing.

Minor endgame spoiler:
    Or you could play the Final Puzzle which really does start you with nothing.

Pooshlmer on
    edited May 2009
    The first time I beat the main quest was such a thrill. It was just another "let's see how far this gets me" that ended up going all the way; I had the boss pain-shared with me and ended up beating him with an attack on myself that should have taken off the last of my health.

I'm so happy this thread is back.

METAzraeL on

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pooshlmer wrote: »
    solsovly wrote: »

It's only necessary if you want a guaranteed win. Otherwise with enough knowledge and luck you can beat the game starting with nothing.

Yeah, I vowed to myself to not abuse the warehouses to get my first victory in the main quest. And I was so pleased when I saw it through. Didn't get a very high score because of it, but it's all about the journey.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    In addition, things that you do in one playthrough will carry over into others. The people you interact with, for example... over multiple playthroughs, you will earn things that will aid your future attempts up the mountain.

Yes, this is a good point. Speak to everyone you see, every time you see them. If they want something, give it to them. I don't want to spoil anything, but trust me on this.

I gave that brother guy the 1000 G(money) and then saw him drunk... though I don't remember where that went.

thanks for the tips. I started to enjoy myself more on my last couple of runs. I think I need to stop pushing though. the last few times I've gotten further I've then pressed on when I was not really -into- the game and did stupid shit. and got what I deserved.

great game for at work, though (when you have an easy job like I).

edit - isn't there a point where you can't go back? I guess it's not as early on as I thought.

or, maybe it was that when I tried to get back to the first city it said I'd be reset to level 1 so I didn't. does it reset you but not take your items or something? (I'm not getting the weapon level up warehouse thing is what I'm trying to say)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah, eventually you'll get to a point where you can't head back.

also, yes, it resets you to level 1 if you go back to the starter town, but you keep your equipment.

glad to see this thread alive again! this was definitely one of my favorite games last year.

inthegray on
    edited May 2009
    good to know, I thought it took away everything like when you die. now it all makes sense.

my only issue right now, and it's not a real issue whatsoever,i is I bought this used so some of the totals in the adventure log are off. really not an issue though. just have to say it out loud.

I just tried to save a girl on one floor and died FAST. I started using scrolls more which is good they are more helpful than I expected... don't know why I would have thought they'd fail more.

Variable on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oi... Shiren... I finished the main quest in about 14 hours or so, put it down for a few months, then just picked it up again a couple weeks ago. I'm at 40 hours at this point and have accomplished absolutely nothing since finishing the main quest. I'm fully aware that I totally suck at the game, so I've put it down again... I'm sure I'll feel the itch again sometime, but for right now, ugh... just gotta step away...

One really sweet thing happened to me though, right before I stopped playing. I was on floor 4 with all the field bandits, they turned 4 things into weeds, I figure, meh, what the hell, might as well pick them up and see if I can find a jar of change. Sure enough, jar of change with 4 slots right by the exit. Pop in the weeds, expecting a couple herbs and whatnot. What pops out? A fucking Kabra's Blade! I was really shocked. I think the game knew I was getting aggravated and wanted to keep me hooked. Unfortunately... it didn't work. It was a sweet find though.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited May 2009
    just found a mastersword early on so I did the blacksmith thing once. then I got my farthest yet and died. not very far at all though.

Variable on
    edited May 2009
    It's been said already, but yeah... you're going to die a lot. It sucks when you've found a good sword and shield, but the more you play, the more you realize that until something has a +70 next to its name, it's not a big deal if you lose it.

Your experience in the game is much more important than Shiren's.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited May 2009
    I get it :D.

Variable on
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I get it :D.

Then you're well on your way to success! :^:

Edit: Btw, you have the best sig I've ever seen on this forum. He's getting ready to take off his acting pants and pull his analrapist stocking over his head.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I've been drawn back in, my 1 hour commute to from work is the perfect time to play Shiren.

I stopped playing originally after a tragic accident involving the Tainted Path, my +55 modded Firebrand and a jar of Change. Now I'm focusing on clearing out all the junk from my warehouses, and churning through Melding Jars to get a sword/shield combo good enough to take another stab at the Tainted Path.

The only annoyance is that I'll have to take another run through Bufu's dungeon to get another cleaver. Bufu's dungeon hates me, I took multiple goes at completing it with many deaths on level 20 ish

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shirenwiifaithfulannoun.jpg

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YES

Keidrych on
    edited June 2009
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

inthegray on
    edited June 2009
    Atlus, how do I love thee, let me count the ways...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited June 2009
    MSRP $39.99
    The grandfather of the rogue-like RPG, the legendary Shiren series (also known as Mystery Dungeon) is all about tough-as-nails battles, thrilling exploration, finding tons of items, growing in strength, and most important of all: staying alive! With beautiful, colorful 3D graphics, multiple control options, numerous lengthy dungeons, thrilling boss battles, and classic rogue-like gameplay, Shiren the Wanderer delivers the ultimate hardcore RPG experience to Wii!

KEYPOINTS

• Beautiful, smooth 3D graphics—While still maintaining the classic look and feel of the Shiren series, this is the best the series has ever looked, with clean, colorful 3D graphics and smooth character and monster animations.

• Hardcore, complex, satisfying RPG gameplay—You’ll have trouble putting the controller down; the temptation to clear just one more level of a dungeon can be overwhelming, thanks to the deep, rewarding RPG gameplay, character development, item acquisition, and boss fights!

• True rogue-like challenge, accessible interface and controls—Polished, easy to pick-up-and-play, and in many ways as simple as it is complex, Shiren the Wanderer takes the classic rogue-like formula and offers it to gamers in an intuitive, enjoyable overall package!

i am going to post about this on every site i write for, then rave about it on every forum i'm registered to (doesn't matter if they're gaming-related or not) until everyone buys this, convincing atlus to bring over shiren the wanderer 2.

inthegray on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slightly confused, is this a wii port of the DS game? Or a new game entirely?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited June 2009
    it's the first new game in a while for the series . the first ds game is a port of the original snes game. the second ds game is a port of the second game boy game.

inthegray on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This had better come across the Atlantic.

Xagarath on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    inthegray wrote: »
    it's the first new game in a while for the series . the first ds game is a port of the original snes game. the second ds game is a port of the second game boy game.

Well, thats damn confusing. Couldn't they like, I dunno, put a number or something after it to differentiate them? Or even a subtitle?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just started playing Mystery Dungeon on the DS. Not sure what the friend code does in this game, but mine is 2793-7889-3312.

Legba on
    edited June 2009
    Re: Shiren the Wanderer Wii - Excellent choice, ATLUS. Hooray for more Shiren! (Though I kind of was hoping their big E3 reveal would be 7th Dragon...)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank you Atlus. You fucking rule.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2009
    Err. Okay, not even a couple of hours in and already I died. I sent out a call for rescue; my rescue number is 0000-0001-2372, if anyone fancies giving me a hand.

Legba on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legba wrote: »
    Err. Okay, not even a couple of hours in and already I died. I sent out a call for rescue; my rescue number is 0000-0001-2372, if anyone fancies giving me a hand.

You survived a couple of hours before your first death? That's pretty good going.

Sorry, can't do a net rescue as my DS and router don't like to talk to each other.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited June 2009
    Never fear. I think I'll just start over. I was only a couple of hours in anyway. It's not like I had some bad-ass weapon that I desperately want to save.

Legba on
    edited June 2009
    In any case, it's probably a good idea to start from scratch the first few (dozen?) lives you get. Once you start getting a feel for the world, its characters, and the monsters, then that's when you start asking for rescues, especially as you get closer to a game clear scenario.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I picked this up a few days ago after hearing so much about it, along with the announcement of the Wii game, and I'm enjoying it so far. This is my first Roguelike though, so are there any tips I should keep in mind? I'm still on my first go right now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die at any moment as the mines aren't very pleasant, and after 2 monster rooms I'm pretty short on Blastwave Scrolls (which are fucking kickass for those rooms). So basically are there any specific items I should be looking out for? I got like 4 jars of holding so I put 3 of them in the Mountaintop Village Storeroom. I'm not sure if these Dragon Herbs are worth it though or some of the other weirder scrolls. I also expect that since it's been a while since release I'm kind of on my own and can't rely on rescues?

Gilder on
    edited June 2009
    it seems like you already know the main thing about shiren -- expect to die a lot and lose your stuff, and treat it like a strategy/arcade experience, rather than an action rpg.

specific items you should look out for: equipment with special properties, herbs that increase your HP/strength (i store these and save them for my final fun), and a diverse set of staves/scrolls. Dragon herbs ad some weirder scrolls have their uses, and you'll thank your stars you have them in certain situations where you just barely escape an overwhelming scenario.

and yeah, you're pretty much on your own with rescues.

inthegray on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    So I picked this up a few days ago after hearing so much about it, along with the announcement of the Wii game, and I'm enjoying it so far. This is my first Roguelike though, so are there any tips I should keep in mind? I'm still on my first go right now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die at any moment as the mines aren't very pleasant, and after 2 monster rooms I'm pretty short on Blastwave Scrolls (which are fucking kickass for those rooms). So basically are there any specific items I should be looking out for? I got like 4 jars of holding so I put 3 of them in the Mountaintop Village Storeroom. I'm not sure if these Dragon Herbs are worth it though or some of the other weirder scrolls. I also expect that since it's been a while since release I'm kind of on my own and can't rely on rescues?

It's just the nature of the genre that you will die a lot when you first start playing. There are going to be a lot of unexpected surprises that you have no way to plan for other than experience. Also, a lot of the story and characters can only be advanced by dying and restarting multiple times through. The best advice I can give you is to learn from your deaths and try not to make the same mistakes again.

Dragonfire herbs do a lot more damage to an enemy if you eat them while facing an enemy, rather than throwing them. They're great for single tough enemies. What kind of weird scrolls do you have? They likely have some interesting uses you may not have considered.

IdolNinja on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess the weirder scrolls and staffs like "Paralyze and teleport an enemy to the exit" or "Protect equipment from rusting". Or things like the hiding pots. Like, the rusting one seems very situational because I don't even know where those traps are and sending an enemy to the exit seems like delaying the inevitable. Unless I just want to get rid of one enemy if two ambush me or something. I guess I would just have to try most of the items out and see how they work to determine their worth.

There's also no way to save money right? I'm not seeing an option to drop it or store it so I'm assuming it goes when I do. I'm tempted to head back to a shop and spend it all, or at least upgrade my sucky sword which actually did get rusted so I could've used that dumb scroll.

Gilder on
    edited June 2009
    If you play around with the puzzle house (in the starting town) a bit, you'll see some uses for odd items. But it's mostly about experimentation. During the main adventure, most of the items you find will have some use, even if only somewhat situational. It sounds like you're on the right track, just take your time and learn from each attempt.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I guess the weirder scrolls and staffs like "Paralyze and teleport an enemy to the exit" or "Protect equipment from rusting". Or things like the hiding pots. Like, the rusting one seems very situational because I don't even know where those traps are and sending an enemy to the exit seems like delaying the inevitable. Unless I just want to get rid of one enemy if two ambush me or something. I guess I would just have to try most of the items out and see how they work to determine their worth.

There's also no way to save money right? I'm not seeing an option to drop it or store it so I'm assuming it goes when I do. I'm tempted to head back to a shop and spend it all, or at least upgrade my sucky sword which actually did get rusted so I could've used that dumb scroll.

The highlighted philosophy above is the core of this game. Experiment with everything. It's not wasting an item if you learn about how it works.

In addition to the rust traps, there are enemies later that will rust your equipment just by attacking, so it's really important to plate it.

The teleport staff/scrolls are awesome if you're in a bind. You can send multiple enemies to the exit (each one needing a scroll or staff charge,) and they will all surround it one by one. They will only wake up once attacked, so you can pick them off one at a time from a distance with arrows.

Money goes with you when you die, so spend spend spend.

IdolNinja on