As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum culture

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    hi5 kusu

also, D&D seems far too uptight for me :(
    It probably is. We try to encourage topicality. It makes some people crazy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    dear irond will that is not true
    love,
    kusu

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    dear irond will that is not true
    love,
    kusu
    a bloo a bloo a bloo.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ABLOO ABLOOBLOOBLOOOOO

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    maybe the best top of page ever

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    unless Goum and Yar are going at it.
    :winky:

There are no cliques in D&D. It is however unavoidable here and pretty much everywhere in life that if the people in power (i.e., the mods, the regs, whatever) are familiar with you and your posting style and your past contributions and what-not, then they are more likely to give you a little space to do what you do.

When a n00b wanders in and starts posting stupid little quips, or starts posting like he knows what's what about everything, or other such silly annoyances, they are unfortunately going to be held under a higher resolution microscope than someone posting similar material but who has an established history of helping to make this place what it is.

SE++ operates as one big amorphous clique, though. :P But since I already knew all about abloo bloo I feel I too might be a part of it!!!!

Yar on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    If anyone isn't listening to anyone VC, its you.

This isn't about me, I was pointing out that certain topics often get a disproportionate treatment regardless of the merits of the argument. See also topics about: evolution, the morality/legality of abortion, Isreal, religion, and health care. Generally there's going to be a few people for each of these who fly off the goddamn handle and shout anyone down who disagrees with them. I made the comment about dead soldiers/rape because it hit close to home, and it stuck out glaringly in my mind.

But hey man, whatever excuses you need so you don't have to respond to the actual meat of my post.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I have to agree a little now with siliconenhanced.

Certain topics do get a rallying cry of "can we lock this right away please there is no discussion!!!!" even when there really is a lot to discuss. And the people making the taboo arguments are immediately lumped in as holocaust deniers or rape-pain deniers. But I've learned to live with that for the most part. The mods don't generally lock things for those kinds of reasons.

Yar on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    A thing that bugs me about forum culture is this.

The on topic forums are on topic. It's in the name. You stay on topic. If you want to post off topic, we have a forum for that.

I hate when I get complaints along the lines of "I want to post off topic stuff in G&T! I should be allowed to!" No, it's an on topic forum, for posting on topic. "but I hate SE"

Not my problem.

There are like a million forums on the internet. I can't stand people who expect the PA forums to bend over backwards to accomodate them. If you don't like SE, that's fine, but it doesn't mean you can be a prick everywhere else. If we don't have what you want, go elsewhere. We will not miss you.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tube you are as wise as you are prickly and cute and oh god I want to cuddle your avatar

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Chat threads. We already catered to the off-topic in the on-topics. Also, your avatar is hosted on a filtered URL, I want to see!

Yar on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish we had a section of forum culture we could send katchem_ash to so he wouldn't post in all the other forums because he is pretty much dumb as hell and doesn't care who knows it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tube you are as wise as you are prickly and cute and oh god I want to cuddle your avatar

You will end up like that jerk from x-men with the needles

whatshisname

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    spike?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am staying on topic because I am discussing relevant abloobloos from across the forums

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    abloobloobloo

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    see Kusu gets it

Kusu you are my translator for D&D

tell them that I have come to take their women and vandalize their houses

Raneados on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will we be driven before you while Cat and Cass lament?

That reminds me, Tynic hasn't been around for awhile.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    see Kusu gets it

Kusu you are my translator for D&D

tell them that I have come to take their women and vandalize their houses

Friends, Discussers, Debaters!
    The venerable, fertile, well-endowed Raneados has come to partake of your females, to ravish their flesh and spill his seed within them! He will torch your thatched-roof village, salt the earth, and urinate on the ashes!

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    and I can do all that and MORE for only 3 easy payments of 29.99

Raneados on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    and I can do all that and MORE for only 3 easy payments of 29.99
    Are you running a little experiment to see how far offtopic you can push it before I flag you?

Seriously, stay reasonably on-topic or take it to SE++.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    fine let's talk about something relevant then

Levels of stick-up-the-buttedness of the different forums

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just really, really dislike any forumer that has come out of GnT. It's just a vapid wasteland of fanboyism and I just don't see how anyone has fun there.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Didn't Katchum_ash come from G&T?

how was he received there if this is so?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    See, again, those statements just scream "POSTER IS A RETARD" at me.

Yeah, there are fanboys in G&T. It's got hella, HELLA traffic apart from anything else. It's not all bad though, don't be retarded.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't Katchum_ash come from G&T?

how was he received there if this is so?

Everyone hates him everywhere I think.

Also: Captain K came from GnT. Doesn't everyone like him?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I do not dislike much of the G&Ters, but I have a distaste for anime so a lot of that place isn't for me

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The anime fixation really went with the chat thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well I'm also not a big gaming dude

I own like

5 PS2 games

and have no intention of getting an erection of motherboards or graphics cards or next-gen

Raneados on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just really, really dislike any forumer that has come out of GnT. It's just a vapid wasteland of fanboyism and I just don't see how anyone has fun there.

I really dislike any forumer that comes out of D&D. It's such a vapid wasteland of lefist elitism and I don't see how anyone has fun there.
    See what I did there. :rotate:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Technically I started off in GnT; my first post and thread was there. But I started reading D&D the next day and have stayed since then.
    As if YOU care

See what I did there?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Technically I started off in GnT; my first post and thread was there. But I started reading D&D the next day and have stayed since then.
    Most of us started in G&T, I guess, by this definition. People don't generally seize on the idea to go to a webcomic forum in order to talk about the Alternative Minimum Tax or whatever.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A thing that bugs me about forum culture is this.

The on topic forums are on topic. It's in the name. You stay on topic. If you want to post off topic, we have a forum for that.

I hate when I get complaints along the lines of "I want to post off topic stuff in G&T! I should be allowed to!" No, it's an on topic forum, for posting on topic. "but I hate SE"

Not my problem.

There are like a million forums on the internet. I can't stand people who expect the PA forums to bend over backwards to accomodate them. If you don't like SE, that's fine, but it doesn't mean you can be a prick everywhere else. If we don't have what you want, go elsewhere. We will not miss you.

The thing is, we see on topic stuff in SE++ and get jealous.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What do you mean "on topic stuff"?

If you mean like, a thread about a game, that fits into the SE remit of "talk about stuff"

Tube on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I find myself thinking CT is probably right because:

1. The only anime thread I can remember seeing is the D&D thread.

2. The only threads I've seen in G&T that even contain comments about anime are threads about games based off of anime and therefore, ya know, fucking duh.

3. I never bothered with the G&T chat thread.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    See, I love SE++ because I can just pick a thread with a cool sounding name, read the last page, post some inane garbage, and on occasion someone else laughs!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I find myself thinking CT is probably right because:

1. The only anime thread I can remember seeing is the D&D thread.

2. The only threads I've seen in G&T that even contain comments about anime are threads about games based off of anime and therefore, ya know, fucking duh.

3. I never bothered with the G&T chat thread.

Yeah, I recall the chat thread being liberally sprinkled with anime screencaps, but that was about it.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    See, again, those statements just scream "POSTER IS A RETARD" at me.

Yeah, there are fanboys in G&T. It's got hella, HELLA traffic apart from anything else. It's not all bad though, don't be retarded.

I'm going by my personal experience. For all I know it's changed since Whippy nuked megathreads.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Last chance: stay on topic.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png