As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] Play (on - again?)

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That'd be Hibernia you're thinking of, and I can definitely get behind that. Hibernia on Bedevere was my main server, still is where I have my best characters and most money and stuff. I'll be strongly tempted to transfer my Scout over from the classic realms if that's an option soon though, but Hibernia works too.

And yeah, it's all about the open world RvR. There are level specific battlegrounds, but the objective of every one is to "kill a lot of people and try to take the CK (central keep)", and they're all persistent and not instanced.

Fiatil on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hibernia? Boo. DAOC is the one game where I can't support being elfy. Midgard is just badass.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking about playing this. Hahaha, judging by how much I enjoyed WAR, I doubt I will. :( Or is it different? Shed some light on this? Is it compatible with more modern keyboard setups? Everquest 1 wasn't, is DaoC?

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EQ1 is totally compatible with modern keyboard setups these days. It just takes like fifteen minutes to get used to.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, Mudshark. When I played it on the EQMac server, it was sorta obnoxious to get used to.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I spent about three months on the EQmac server, and after changing the auto-run keybind and a few other things, it was easy as pie to control.

Lack of maps, forced use of sense heading, etc nonwithstanding, of course.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scary, I could fire this up and my Spiritmaster is likely still there, still have my old account (hooked into WAR now)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    i give this game the eatmosushi thumbs down

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    i give this game the eatmosushi thumbs down

Why's that? Its a classic.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2009
    it's a classic pain in the ass.

where's my quest log?
    where's my fing map.

where's my EXIT GAME BUTTON?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited June 2009
    i rip it like that, son

eatmosushi on
    edited June 2009

where's my quest log?
    where's my fing map.

/q to quit.

J for quests JOURNAL

and I believe M for MAP.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why don't I see anything about a Valewalker? I consider them to be the best implementation of a position based melee. I loved my magic and scythe skills that came along with it. The long chains made my action bar a pain to setup but once I had a good setup I could chain just about anything from a parry chain, evade chain, side chain, or rear chain. Oh I loved that class.

Lux782 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

where's my quest log?
    where's my fing map.

Pft. You don't quest in DAoC, you grind son.

We do it like that, old school. Word.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seriously though, you ask some pet user to powerlevel you, and then a few hours later youre 50, who the hell would wanna quest?

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited June 2009
    You want to experience DAoC for what it was 7 years ago?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2009
    well...

ok, so another gripe

i had a ranger, see?

and he was all like... no i cant swing my sword at this dude, i got a bow out.

and i'm all like

pull out your sword?

and he's all like

lolnoimanelf

eatmosushi on
    edited June 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    You want to experience DAoC for what it was 7 years ago?

thats when i liked it the most

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited June 2009
    well...

ok, so another gripe

i had a ranger, see?

and i'm all like

pull out your sword?

and he's all like

lolnoimanelf

You put your bow, sword, and shield in the hotbar, so when you click one of the icons, you get the weapon you want.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited June 2009
    i cannot... no, will not, be forced to put equipment on my hotbar.

i wont do it, and they arent going to make me.

eatmosushi on
    edited June 2009
    The game could use some new everything.

bowen on
    edited June 2009
    This is what I was saying. The game was hot shit back in the day. Now all the annoying little niggles that have been fixed in modern games are still there and make you angry with what is actually a good game.

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2009
    I will admit, they did the PvP perfectly well.

The rest of the game leaves a little to be desired and I'm not sure why they don't overhaul the mechanics and the look and feel of the entire game? Just make a huge patch and make it compatible so people don't need to buy new accounts and can still play their old characters.

bowen on
    edited June 2009
    I kinda wish Warhammer had been exactly that. DAOC's exact, awesome pvp with everything else fixed.

Darkewolfe on
    edited June 2009
    I would play a DAoC 2 if it were like warhammer but without the PVP ALL THE TIME WOO! feel to the game.

bowen on
    edited June 2009
    uh..

um.

PVP all the time games are good.

if you want to stick pointies into preprogrammed doo-dads just get any f2p korean mmo ever.

eatmosushi on
    edited June 2009
    I like to kill dragons and shit with my friends.

I also like to get together with my friends and do shit without being attacked for 40 minutes while I do it.

PVP games are good as long as I can enter the PVP when I'm ready to do it. Otherwise you sit on a PVP server on DAoC after level 10 and cry for 8 months until you get anywhere.

bowen on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsplitter wrote: »
    well...

ok, so another gripe

i had a ranger, see?

and i'm all like

pull out your sword?

and he's all like

lolnoimanelf

You put your bow, sword, and shield in the hotbar, so when you click one of the icons, you get the weapon you want.

There are hotkeys for all of your weapon slots you know. You don't need to put them on the hotbar, just press the button and stuff. It's pretty easy.

Fiatil on
    edited June 2009

The rest of the game leaves a little to be desired and I'm not sure why they don't overhaul the mechanics and the look and feel of the entire game? Just make a huge patch and make it compatible so people don't need to buy new accounts and can still play their old characters.

What? You can still play with your old characters. In fact, Mythic never deletes any accounts. A friend of mine quit before ToA and recently resubscribed with his character on Lancelot. His gear was outdated, but it was still good stuff.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah, you shouldn't have to buy a new account to play the game, its just a bunch of massive patches etc to get back up to date . I've been resubbing off and on for the last couple years no problem.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited June 2009

What? You can still play with your old characters. In fact, Mythic never deletes any accounts. A friend of mine quit before ToA and recently resubscribed with his character on Lancelot. His gear was outdated, but it was still good stuff.

I was talking about if they did it from the ground up. A remake of the game.

bowen on
    edited June 2009

They aren't going to remake the game. They have said so countless times and the game has already been updated up the ass. The engine they built it on, Gamebryo, has been modded so heavily that they cannot possibly make further edits to it. This is as polished as the game is getting you guys.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ahhhhh, i see i see, i dont think that will happen with them dumping all this money into WaR. I would love to see a recreation with all that was good, i just dont trust them not to screw up the Pve.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited June 2009

They aren't going to remake the game. They have said so countless times and the game has already been updated up the ass. The engine they built it on, Gamebryo, has been modded so heavily that they cannot possibly make further edits to it. This is as polished as the game is getting you guys.

Yes I know all of this. It was a hypothetical.

At this point they'd probably could get some new blood if they renewed the game.

bowen on
    edited June 2009
    I don't get what the problem is. The PvP is still as awesome as the day it came out. The PvE is interesting if you dig into certain story lines but it isn't bad per se. You can run up to a unnamed guard in a town or something and "/s Task" and they will give you a random kill or delivery quest that can be worth a nice chunk of EXP (but you can only do this several times per level and only up to level 20, IIRC).

Some of the actual story lines are rather bleak and depressing, like the further you go into Avalon, the more hopeless it is and the more desolate and the more remote until you come across Avalon City which has long been taken over. go even further, off the roads and you come up to Caer Sidi, once a hall for the greatest heroes and now a 5 hour long 100 man dungeon crawl with the baddest mother fuckers to ever grace a dungeon.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2009
    I don't get what the problem is. The PvP is still as awesome as the day it came out. The PvE is interesting if you dig into certain story lines but it isn't bad per se. You can run up to a unnamed guard in a town or something and "/s Task" and they will give you a random kill or delivery quest that can be worth a nice chunk of EXP (but you can only do this several times per level and only up to level 20, IIRC).

Some of the actual story lines are rather bleak and depressing, like the further you go into Avalon, the more hopeless it is and the more desolate and the more remote until you come across Avalon City which has long been taken over. go even further, off the roads and you come up to Caer Sidi, once a hall for the greatest heroes and now a 5 hour long 100 man dungeon crawl with the baddest mother fuckers to ever grace a dungeon.

a pity that most of the caer sidi trash can be 2 manned

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited June 2009

a pity that most of the caer sidi trash can be 2 manned

Necromancer + bot doesn't count. :V

Lucky Cynic on
    edited June 2009
    What about a cabalist and a bot?

Ok two friars but that's all you'll get from me.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited June 2009
    What about a cabalist and a bot?

Ok two friars but that's all you'll get from me.

Necro Damage shield > anything cabbies can throw out.

Lucky Cynic on
  • edibleheroediblehero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm all for this shit.

Only if it's Midgard tho. None of that pansy Hib/Alb crap.

ediblehero on