As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
What a pleasant surprise to wake up and see that Nintendo has a new Metroid on the way.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50237.html
Original Trailer above

LAUNCH DATE: [STRIKE]JULY 27th[/STRIKE] AUGUST 31st, 2010

What We Know:
  • 2D styled gameplay with optional camera change for full exploration.
  • The game will be set in the immediate aftermath of Super Metroid, prior to Metroid Fusion.
    • The story focuses on Samus' past, nothing specific known yet.
  • Team Ninja is co-developing with Nintendo.
  • Samus' heart has grown three sizes.
    • No wait, I'm sorry, that would be her bra.
  • Game will feature voice acting - yes, even Samus.
  • There was a leak of the game's intro cinematic, no longer available at our original source.
toxk_02 wrote: »

Ye Olde Thread Content:
I missed the conference itself so I don't know any details they gave out (and another couple hundred pages of mega-thread to look through? no thanks), but I'll gladly edit them here. It looks like a 3rd person game though. So let's do our usual speculation and pants-shitting guys.

UPDATES - Yeaaaaaaaaah I'll just wait 'til I'm unjailed to compile all the awesome stuff coming about. Until then, enjoy them in the early page 50's.

Henroid on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am already decidedly sold.
    Looks like a mix of third- and first-person, though. Have to see how that works out.
    Team Ninja being on board is definitely a surprise.

Xagarath on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who is Team Ninja exactly?

Henroid on
  • PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Still looks like one of the most schizophrenic trailers I've ever seen hopefully there's some details later at E3 at least so we can tell what kind of game it is

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Watching the trailer, it looks like all of the third-person stuff is limited to one plane of movement, until it goes into something quick-timey or first-person.

This is awesome news. If Metroid was to return, it needed another reboot, and here we have it.

Total surprise, too. That it exists, and that Team Ninja is involved.

Raughn on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They did a ton of SEGA games didn't they? I never had any SEGA consoles so I don't know for sure.

edit: DoA and Ninja Gaiden are what they are known for. I should have known that. Sounds promising nontheless.

SirToasty on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It doesn't look as gritty as Prime, and I like Samus talking the same way I like Link talking: shouldn't happen. Regardless, gameplay looks good, and I love me some Metroid. Here's hoping some later videos improve my perception.

Team Ninja did Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden

Antimatter on
  • tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

They made the Ninja Gaiden series.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Makers of "Ninja Gaiden" and "Dead or Alive".

Vray on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just want to freeze guys and hop on them to reach hidden Super Missiles and then make friends with a metroid maybe. I do not want to FPS.

TL DR on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo sure knows how to keep a secret. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

There's something awesome about how Samus says "Time to go." It sounds kind of otherworldly and robotic. Exactly how I'd want Samus to sound but I know it'll result in plenty of fanboy whining.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vray wrote: »

Yes, Team Ninja are the ones who made those games, but the lead developer, Itagaki, departed Namco last year on not so friendly terms and he took a bunch of his team with him. The Team Ninja of today is not the Team Ninja of years past.

That being said, Ninja Gaiden was one of my favorite games of the original XBox. The gameplay was smooth and the animations were fluid and seamless. Hopefully their animators and graphical department can pump out some sweet shit for this new Metroid.

Lucascraft on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo sure knows how to keep a secret. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

There's something awesome about how Samus says "Time to go." It sounds kind of otherworldly and robotic. Exactly how I'd want Samus to sound but I know it'll result in plenty of fanboy whining.

Silent protagonists have just become a more and more awkward convention as games have progressed and I'm glad to see it fall by the wayside for this game.

Inquisitor on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like that Samus is finally going to talk. It was weird that everyone except Samus were talking in Prime 3.

Peewi on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks like it's lacking the polish of the Prime games, and adding more traditional narration like dialogue really doesn't seem like it'll help (see also: MP3), but it's probably still somewhat early in development and way too early to frown too much at.

Darlan on
    edited June 2009
    That looks incredibly different. It doesn't exactly look like something I would play but I would bet anything that it will be great. Nintendo has a way of making games like that.

SirToasty on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yes, Team Ninja are the ones who made those games, but the lead developer, Itagaki, departed Namco last year on not so friendly terms and he took a bunch of his team with him. The Team Ninja of today is not the Team Ninja of years past.

Yeah so it hopefully won't be full of crippling bugs and an awful, awful camera that he's too pro hardcore awesome to care about or fix.

I like NG but Itagaki is a dickhead who thinks his games are flawless masterpieces, and they are more like uncut gems.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really like this.

The only Prime game I really dug was the 3rd, because it brought a great balance that I felt was lacking in the first two games. Those just didn't feel like Metroid to me.

But I'm really excited about this, and I think the Wii is finally coming into its own as a gaming platform, and there's somewhat of a return to a more classic style of gameplay in these recent titles that gets me giddy.

HadjiQuest on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always wanted a new Metroid game, but could never get into the Prime games at all, so (even recently) I've just been replaying Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission.

This looks really promising though.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Here's hoping for a 3rd person grappling hook and crazy acrobatics that the first person nature of the Prime games just wouldn't allow for.

Darlan on
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have no problem with Samus talking every now and then because I never viewed Samus as a silent protagonist in the same way as Link. That is, Link doesn't talk because he's an avatar for the player. Samus is silent because the majority of the time she just doesn't have anyone to talk to. Which was why her being silent in Prime 3 made things kind of weird for me. That said I don't want her to be a chatterbox spouting one-liners every other second either.

Timestones on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be honest, I <3 the thought of a third person 3D Metroid, and I LOVE the look of this.

I only have two complaints. The voice sounded a little young for Samus, even considering this is way back when...And the fact that it's way back when. Gimme a post-Fusion game, dammit!

yalborap on
    edited June 2009
    This almost looks like Metroid that plays more like Ninja Gaiden.

That kind of makes me sad because when I think Ninja Gaiden gameplay, I think more action and less exploration that the Metroid series is known for. I never actually played NG though, so I don't know if there was any type of exploration. Please fill me in.

edit: A post Fusion game will more than likely be on DS. The spinoffs have always been console titles with the exception of Hunters. I expect them to stick to the traditional style for Metroid 5.

SirToasty on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That being said, Ninja Gaiden was one of my favorite games of the original XBox. The gameplay was smooth and the animations were fluid and seamless. Hopefully their animators and graphical department can pump out some sweet shit for this new Metroid.
    Not just Itagaki left. He took the majority of the various art, design, and programming leads with him.

Monger on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I seem to be alone here, but I cannot see how Team Ninja branding Metroid with their style of over the top action is a good thing... With a Metroid announcement I was hoping for a resurrection of Metroid Dread or a sequel to Metroid Fusion.

Avenrosh on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to whore out the screencaps I took but here it is again:
    motherbrain.png

So this introduces an inconsistency with Metroid Prime 3: Aurora units are giant hulking things that bear little resemblance to the Mother Brain of old, yet here is a throwback to the classic design.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's hoping they don't totally throw exploration by the wayside ala Metroid Prime Hunters.

Edit: Holy shit I never noticed that's what that was! Hmmm!

Also anyone notice the Adam cameo? "Any objections, Lady?" That got me pumped. Backstory for the win!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    This almost looks like Metroid that plays more like Ninja Gaiden.

That kind of makes me sad because when I think Ninja Gaiden gameplay, I think more action and less exploration that the Metroid series is known for. I never actually played NG though, so I don't know if there was any type of exploration. Please fill me in.

There isn't a huge amount, no.

On the other hand, that's a level design issue, not a combat engine and raw gameplay one.

yalborap on
    edited June 2009
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    I seem to be alone here, but I cannot see how Team Ninja branding Metroid with their style of over the top action is a good thing... With a Metroid announcement I was hoping for a resurrection of Metroid Dread or a sequel to Metroid Fusion.

This is Metroid Dread. It's a sidescrolling Metroid in full 3D, it's what half the Dread rumors were specifically about.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    motherbrain.png

So this introduces an inconsistency with Metroid Prime 3: Aurora units are giant hulking things that bear little resemblance to the Mother Brain of old, yet here is a throwback to the classic design.

The longer the pirates control one, the more time they have to power it up?

I mean Ridley gets frequent upgrades from the pirates in terms of armour plating and the like. They're obviously capable of some pretty heavy organic augmentations/genetic engineering and whatever.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shit guys.

Zxerol on
    edited June 2009
    motherbrain.png

How do we know that this is directly related to Prime 3? That looks like more than a throwback to Mother Brain. That looks identical to Mother Brain.

SirToasty on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno. I mean, Samus as a badass fighter fits for me, especially with the whole idea of speedrunning in the originals. Someone who can just run through a dangerous area and kick the shit out of everything without pausing just feels right in tune with the originals.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very excited for this, it was one of the few nice surprises overall and I'm quite happy with how it looks, plus the fact another developer is getting a crack at it is refreshing, we had three Retro developed Metroid games so it's about time we saw another try their luck. One of the things I'm most glad about is that yes she finally talks, the whole no talking thing is way past old and needs to be done away with entirely, the fact we get to see a city and much more in some scenes not to mention other people is rather nice in itself. The big problem of Twilight Princess was not that it was a bad game, hardly so, it was true to the Zelda premise but that in itself was the issue.

It was just the same damn thing we've done for many many years now, it was more epic on scale but it used the same tried and true design that's getting pretty long in the tooth. By getting Team Ninja I'm hoping we'll have a unique experience that stays true to the core Metroid experience but gives it a whole new spin to freshen it up some.

Hardly impossible to do.

Also am I the only one that thinks that this game is actually you playing through various parts of the Metroid franchise, the battle with Mother Brain etc had me thinking this is in some ways going to be like the RE games on Wii where you play through parts of various RE games basically.

If so I don't mind, it still looks damn good.

Cade on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This is Metroid Dread. It's a sidescrolling Metroid in full 3D, it's what half the Dread rumors were specifically about.

Except Metroid Dread was going to be a follow up to Fusion.

Avenrosh on
    edited June 2009
    motherbrain.png

How do we know that this is directly related to Prime 3? That looks like more than a throwback to Mother Brain. That looks identical to Mother Brain.
    The Prime games took place between 1 and Super Metroid, if I recall correctly. Not that it really matters, the story is basically SPACE PIRATES AND METROIDS SHIIIIIIIT!

Darlan on
  • MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So...probably taking place between Super and Fusion?

Or is the remember me dude the dead hunter from Super?

At any rate, it looks pretty much exactly like it fits somewhere in there. Colorful, jumpy, crazy monster designs. Yes.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

the other half was that Dread was a Fusion sequel, which I too am still waiting for.

Antimatter on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it won't be too Team Ninja.

Otherwise? Awesome.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    motherbrain.png

The longer the pirates control one, the more time they have to power it up?

I mean Ridley gets frequent upgrades from the pirates in terms of armour plating and the like. They're obviously capable of some pretty heavy organic augmentations/genetic engineering and whatever.

I mean in terms of actual brain size. This looks on scale of the SNES game where it's about as tall as Samus, chin to top.

I was under the impression that Prime 3 was a retcon to make them more realistic/impressive, as everything was in the Prime games.

Of course it doesn't really matter, they can just say Mother Brain was never an aurora unit to begin with, or was a prototype etc. No reason to argue in this time of celebration. :)

UncleSporky on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I'm on the fence about this one - the action and graphics look sweet, but as much as I hate the silent protagonist in games, I keep getting flashbacks...

...to this.

That being said, Jenifer Hale's voice in Brawl was suitable, so her or someone similar and I'll be happy. Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was an excellent action game when you got used to the brutal difficulty, so as long as TN holds off on the fan-service and learns how to make the damn camera system work then this will be day one for me.

PaperLuigi44 on