As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    I dunno. I mean, Samus as a badass fighter fits for me, especially with the whole idea of speedrunning in the originals. Someone who can just run through a dangerous area and kick the shit out of everything without pausing just feels right in tune with the originals.

Completely agree.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    Also anyone notice the Adam cameo? "Any objections, Lady?" That got me pumped. Backstory for the win!

Hell, that was what made me realize we were looking at a Metroid game.
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Not to whore out the screencaps I took but here it is again:
    motherbrain.png

So this introduces an inconsistency with Metroid Prime 3: Aurora units are giant hulking things that bear little resemblance to the Mother Brain of old, yet here is a throwback to the classic design.
    How do we know that this is directly related to Prime 3? That looks like more than a throwback to Mother Brain. That looks identical to Mother Brain.

That IS Mother Brain. If you look above Samus in the bottom screenshot you can see the giant baby Metroid getting blasted.

Timestones on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So long as Team Ninja isn't allowed to do ANY renders of Samus outside of her power armor, I am 100% stoked for this.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Giant baby Metroid is the best.

Around.

Nothing's going to ever keep ya down.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    I seem to be alone here, but I cannot see how Team Ninja branding Metroid with their style of over the top action is a good thing... With a Metroid announcement I was hoping for a resurrection of Metroid Dread or a sequel to Metroid Fusion.

Seems to be sort of a 'why the hell not' kind of thing. I'd prefer that Retro do whatever they want to do, and a more normal 2D metroid is probably out of the question on the Wii at this point. Letting a completely different team go wild with the IP probably couldn't hurt, as long as they keep Miyamoto on standby to shout at them if necessary.

jothki on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Classic design wins.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So long as Team Ninja isn't allowed to do ANY renders of Samus outside of her power armor, I am 100% stoked for this.

Bondage Suit Samus with riding crop beam.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They already showed Blue Suit Samus, having Team Ninja do a game is just going to explode the Metroid Hentai population, I'm sure the team won't disappoint with the junk in the trunk and the titties up front.

I didn't think this was a Metroid game until Samus got Sailor Moon'ed into it.

McAllen on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Am I the only one who still wants another 2D Metroid? Those were my favorites. I've never really been to into the first person ones.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man aren't you guys going to be pissed when they announce Metroid Beach Volleyball.

The volleyballs are Metroids!

Cade on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah you're right, that is the Super Metroid boss battle.

Either it's just a fancy CGI cutscene in the intro, or this is going to be a RE:UC type game spanning the Metroid timeline.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh that is the Super Metroid in the screenshot. I couldn't even tell.

So it seems like it could be between Super and Fusion.

Sporky: I didn't play Prime 3 so I really don't know what an Aurora Unit is but that is definitely Mother Brain in the screens.

edit: Also, I didn't hear the "Any objections, lady?" line the first time. This excites me beyond belief. It's about time they actually started fleshing out some characters. I loved what little character development there was in Fusion (not too much but still more than any other game).

SirToasty on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks like it could be good, aside from the ridiculous perspective switches. Which is it, Sidescrolling? Third person? First person?

All persons?

Team Ninja can't even do a good camera system period, and they're going all over the place like this? Come on. Pick one and do it right.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

She's already shooting lasers out of her breasts.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

She's already shooting lasers out of her breasts.

Now we know what World War 3 will be fought with.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    I hope it won't be too Team Ninja.

Otherwise? Awesome.
    That's what I'm worried about. The trailer looks awesome, but I'm still not completely sold on it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Remember Me?"

Then South Park smile.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Who is that guy anyway?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit, that looks fucking sweet! Yeah, I don't really think they could do many more traditional Metroid games, they're awesome, but a change is awesome.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is they need to stop making prequels and make some goddamn sequals! I mean, Fusion was what, 7 years ago now? Come onnnn

But yeah wow this looks incredibly awesome. Samus can finally beat the shit out of things in addition to shooting the shit out of them!

Lemming on
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For those who are interested, the trailer is up on the Nintendo Channel.

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think Nintendo is going to let Team Ninja fuck Metroid up, honestly.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoy that the only thing I can remotely criticize about this is the semi-awkward title.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Sporky: I didn't play Prime 3 so I really don't know what an Aurora Unit is but that is definitely Mother Brain in the screens.

Ok, let me explain: I am not disputing that it's Mother Brain. It's exactly the scene from Super Metroid.

In Prime 3, a prequel to Super, there were enormous AIs known as Auroras. It was very clear that they were meant to be "mother brains." They're in huge glass cylinders and look like a brain with complex electronics attached - no mouth, no eye. They were like as tall as a house.

I assumed this meant that Retro redesigned what a mother brain is supposed to be, and therefore a reimagining of Super Metroid would incorporate the Aurora unit style. However, the Mother Brain in the video is completely classic style. Of course they can come up with any explanation they like for the difference.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    Holy shit, that looks fucking sweet! Yeah, I don't really think they could do many more traditional Metroid games, they're awesome, but a change is awesome.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is they need to stop making prequels and make some goddamn sequals! I mean, Fusion was what, 7 years ago now? Come onnnn

But yeah wow this looks incredibly awesome. Samus can finally beat the shit out of things in addition to shooting the shit out of them!
    As I said before. Nintendo likes to have fun with the spinoffs and keep it traditional with the main story releases. I like that they do this instead of completely changing a series. It keeps things fresh and gives us some familiarity too. They also make more money this way.

I would defintely have been more excited for Metroid 5 though.

Sporky: Ok I understand what you mean now.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This sounds so sweet. I must get home to watch the trailer.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

You mean the girl with the short hair? I was wondering about her too, she doesn't really look like Samus so maybe?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ok, let me explain: I am not disputing that it's Mother Brain. It's exactly the scene from Super Metroid.

In Prime 3, a prequel to Super, there were enormous AIs known as Auroras. It was very clear that they were meant to be "mother brains." They're in huge glass cylinders and look like a brain with complex electronics attached - no mouth, no eye. They were like as tall as a house.

I assumed this meant that Retro redesigned what a mother brain is supposed to be, and therefore a reimagining of Super Metroid would incorporate the Aurora unit style. However, the Mother Brain in the video is completely classic style. Of course they can come up with any explanation they like for the difference.

The fact that I'm almost certain it's an origin story makes this even more messy.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

Oh God no SHIT FANFIC INCOMING HIT THE DIRT!

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

You mean the girl with the short hair? I was wondering about her too, she doesn't really look like Samus so maybe?

At the end of that trailer she introduces herself.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?
    Metroid is a girl?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

Oh God no SHIT FANFIC INCOMING HIT THE DIRT!
    D:
    :winky:

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My bet is clone.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If anyone wants to read a pretty cool, semi-official Samus origin story, look no further than here.

It was an e-manga released by Nintendo around the time of...Fusion, I think. Or was it Zero Mission?

metroidv121.jpg

To be honest I wouldn't mind them building off of this mythology.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sporky, I would imagine that the Auroras were basically early versions of what Mother Brain is. And it couldn't really be a retcon to Super if Prime 3 takes place before it, right?
    oh ho ho ho

SirToasty on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They actually already did a Metroid history/origin in Nintendo Power maybe 15 years ago I think? It kinda stunk but back then it ran for a number of issues and it was Metroid in comic form damn it, thought that was it first but that's different.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Other M = The Other Manga.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

At the end of that trailer she introduces herself.

Does she really? All I see is Samus in suit saying "I'm Samus Aran". But looking at it again, it is pretty obvious that it's the same person, though I don't like what they've done with her hair. I always liked that Samus was a kickass hero, but not really a tomboy.

Also, the pieces of gameplay in the trailer do look rather 3D, not 2.5D at all (For example, she fires into the background, she suplexes an enemy in what is obviously a road that she walks into. You see this more in the part where she runs away from the Lava beast or w/e)

I'm afraid that this is really not the 2.5D Metroid we've been waiting for, but it could be good regardless.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That didn't sound to me like Samus.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am secretly hoping that the "Mother Brain killing Baby Metroid and pissing off Samus" cutscene is not just a flashback but a fully playable section. Which I suppose would entail the game having some sort of Super Metroid remake thing going on. Which would also likely piss off a ton of purists. But playing that scene out like that would still be one hell of a trip.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."