As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Souls of Fort Dolor (IC Thread)

LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
CAMPAIGN NOTEBOOK

Chapter 1

It's a lazy summer mid-morning in Korburrow, and while there is a general sense of depression about the farming hamlet due to recent events, most residents are happy to enjoy the sun and let their crops grow. For five souls however, there is a growing sense of fear and excitement over their recent appointment to Fort Dolor, now illuminated by Pelor's radiance from the East. The newly met cadre, two gnomes and a half-elf flanked by a gentle-looking but quite combat capable Warforged and a fierce Dwarf, lead their donkeys laden with gear through the streets of Korburrow, wondering how exactly they are going to fill the 6 hour trek through featureless corn fields ahead of them.

As if an answer to prayer for Avandra herself, a circus caravan meets them in the town square, and a short portly Human steps from the lead wagon:

Behold, what wonders within! Come and see what mystery and whimsey come from beyond the seas!

When enough of a crowd is gathered, the funny looking man pulls a rope, and canvas sheets roll up on the four carts behind him. Much to the delight of watching children, acrobats tumble through the throngs and wizards weave frost from their wands through buckets of sweet cream...

Elder Jachobsen hobbles out to the front steps of town hall, and leans bemused on his staff. His wisened eyes scan the crowd, and when he notices the band of would-be-warriors, he gives an inviting smile.

Near the back of the caravan, a burly voice belts:

WHO DARES TRY TO BEST ME IN COMBAT! 50gp TO WHOEVER CAN KNOCK ME FROM MY FEET!

Today is an exciting day in Korburrow.
There's obviously a couple things here to check out, feel free to do some character development, interaction, monologuing, whatever. Jacob looks available for conversation, and there is also the braggart at the back of the carnival.

Legionnaired on

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "If you'll excuse me, gentlemen. Ladies." Morbin strides off toward the back of the carnival, looking for the source of the voice.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vetis bounces over to Elder Jachobsen, and performs an elaborate bow, finishing with a flourish and a grin. "How do the fates smile on you, good sir? It looks to me as though you're wanting to talk to our band, and if that's so, I'm your lady!"

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zephria returns Jacobsen's smile and meets his gaze. She says " Pardon me, but I suspect brave Morbin will soon be in need of my help" as she follows her comrade towards the boastful shouts.

Powerpuppies and I decided that Morbin and Zephria severed together in the Gnoll war. Back when she was with the guard. They have not met since she entered the temple.

I would like to start of the rolling with a Insight check on old Jacobson, are his intentions toward us friendly?

dscrilla on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "I suspect, Morbin, that you may not succeed in such a dubious proposition" Hadrian suggests to his departing companion in his soft monotone voice as his eyes wander to Vetis and the Elder.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Perhaps not," Morbin remarks to Zephria. "But we won't know till I try."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Confident as ever I see" Retorts Zephria as she walks behind the dwarf. "I guess some people never change"

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Not precisely confident, but... if I get knocked on my rear, what matter?"

"And you? You seem a little quieter than I remember."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jachobsen smiles, obviously bemused by Vetis' youthful enthusiasm.

"Oh, don't flatter an old man with such excitement, I'm surely not worthy of it at this age." He lowers himself gingerly to the steps below on his staff, an obsidian relic with a thousand dings and scratches. "And you of all people, teller of tales, should know by now that the favor of fickle fate is seldom a good thing. It's good for you to have a paladin of Erathis in your midst, don't you think?" His eyes, following his hair to grey, follow Zephria and Morbin.

"They don't know what they're getting into, do they? Snake oil salesmen peddling their blue liqueur of the Gods. Good for a cheap parlor trick now and then, I suppose." He turns to Vatis, truly considering her for the first time, looking up into her red hair despite her short gnomish frame. "Captain Hithia tells me of your enthusiasm for the Great Guns. Tell me, what draws you to them? Do you too have a penchant for old, expensive relics?" a wink and a smile soften the accusation in the most diplomatic of fashions.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Great," Ryn mutters, "I hate this damn circus. Great way to start a new job."

Ryn had decided to forgo his armor and implement for the... whatever this was... meeting with the big boss? Pronunciation of Terms? Dedication of the group to the graces of whoever was going to support this silly outing. He wore his out on the town clothes. Which were the exact same as his in the house clothes and his on the job clothes and his church clothes and his expecting company clothes. He never feared for himself in this town. He had never tipped anyone off to his "adventuring ways" and had never been forced to use anything but his tongue to defend himself.

Skirting wide around the circus, especially the portly human that was leading it, he made his way to Elder Jachobsen and the other gnome who would be joining him on this job... whatever her name was, V-something, Vari, Veti, something like that.

"Elder Jacob," he says with a slight bow of his head toward the revered Elder and the slight smirk he shares with the few people in the town he genuinely respects. "I see you've met the other trustworthy gnome in Korburrow, eh?"

Edit:
    Spoilering OOC comments makes them easier to read. Although aren't we just going to use the signup thread for OOC?

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zephria turns to Morbin "I no longer cry out for Gnoll blood if that's what you mean. I envied you back then, the serenity you found in war. Unlike mercenaries we guardsman fought and died with our neighbors and families." Her eyes flash red in a hateful reverie... She takes a breath, mentally returning to the present. "Thankfully, yes I am quieter now."

Clearly wanting to change the subject, she asks "Where is this guy? Tell you what, if you lose I will stop any bleeding, if you win I get an ale."
    EDIT to remove spelling errors. I am so flubbing my heal check P.P. :P

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "An ale against staunched wounds? The terms of your wager don't seem to indicate a great confidence in my abilities. Very well, it's agreed."
    I think we are ready for DM intervention. Where is this bellowing brawler? Also, Morbin was momentarily thrown by Zephria's words... he has no weapon to loose, and if he did, why would it make him bleed? :P :P :P

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zephria and Morbin are startled when a short, scrawny half-elf in front of them lets loose the same cry as before. Many of the others in the crowd are as well, and being of poor constitution they scatter. The result is a ring 15 feet in diameter containing only the two warriors and the short braggart in tattered leather armor.

He turns around, surprised to see you two standing right behind him.

"Oy oy oy, which one of you like to trade blows, eh? Place your bets!"

An unseen hand in the nearest wagon drops the outermost canvas, and reveals two tellers writing odds on a board behind them, obviously ready to collect wagers.
    THY CHYLLENGER            THY FOOLYSH STRONGMYN
    to wyn:    2::1                   to wyn:    3::1
    to topple: 5::1                   to topple: 7::1

Morbin is obviously the favored, and a large line forms behind "THY CHYLLENGER" as the anxious gamblers eye the disciple of Kord like desperate men at a cock fight. An even larger crowd gathers to watch the spectacle. The acrobats have helped corral the mass of farmhands into a sort of stadium, those in front sit, those behind kneel, and stumps have appeared for those sitting further away.

"The two trustworthy Gnomes in Korburrow, eh lad?" Jacob wheezes with a wry smile, "You should have words with the head of the tradesmen's guild on my council, oh ho!"

His mien darkens.

"You two know, certainly, what you're getting into. Why did you volunteer? Fame? Fortune? All the corn in Korburrow?"

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Surprised at the size of the challenger, and a little embarrassed, Morbin nevertheless decides it's too late to back down, and reluctantly prepares for the challenge. His experience serves him well, as he knows what his opponent is doing even before the man begins to move. His body feels limber and his muscles strong, as a comfort settles upon him that he has not felt in years. The carnival's oddsmakers didn't share Zephria's lukewarm analysis of the invoker's physical abilities, and perhaps as a result the onlookers seemed more partial to Morbin than to his opponent. Everything seemed to be going well for the dwarf - his opponent even seemed intimidated. Letting loose a guttural laugh, Morbin steps forward to signal his readiness to his opponent.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hadrian's eyes wander back to the circus and the noises of the crowd, a seemingly obvious commotion instigated by Morbin. His curiosity, though piqued was subdued by his curiosity for the rest of the town. He slowly finds his way to the Elder and expresses to him a soft "Greetings."

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "You know me, Jacob. It's not my right to stay home and grumble when the city legitimately needs help."

Ryn pauses a second, and the small smirk returns to his face. "Though I wouldn't say no to some creamed corn..."

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Your selflessness is admirable, young one. Be not so hasty to empty thyself that you find only a shell in your place."

THY FOOLYSH STRONGMYN enters the implied 'ring,' and as if on cue one of the carnies rings a bell, and the fight is on. Intimidated an obviously outclassed, the whelp takes a few feeble steps towards Morbin, barely a few inches taller than the dwarf despite the racial advantage.

Morbin shoots in and grabs his leg, attempting to throw him backwards and win the fight outright. The wiry fellow staggers, almost falls out of the ring, but manages to maintain his composure just in time.

The crowd roars.

The circus goon makes a hasty pass only to be stiff-armed, then battered with elbows and closed hands. Clutching his sides as Morbin attempts to corner him and force him into the crowd, the obviously outclassed half-elf offers what Zephria can see as a clearly rehearsed performance:

Oh ye fates, let your Liquere of Valor give me victory! He holds a blue vial, produced from his cloak, into the air for all to see, then quaffs it. Before Morbin can take advantage of his distracted attention, he has a half-elf on his shoulders, then kicking the back of his legs, then pinning him in submission on the ground.

And the winner is: THY FOOLYSH STONGMYN, with the aid of the LIQUERE OF VALOR!

Before there can be too much of an outcry over the obviously fixed fight, acrobats are taking gambling tickets from the hands of angry onlookers, and replacing them with gold and sample sizes of the same blue liquid. Scores of amazed shoppers crowd the cart to purchase their own liquid strength.

The hold on Morbin's arm loosens, and a surprisingly deep voice close behind him says: "Sorry mate. Part of our shtick. Have a few on us." Morbin feels 5 vials of the stuff in his back pocket, but his opponent is gone by the time he turns around.

Zephria:
    Zephria's keen eyes follow the half-elf out of sight, next to a waiting coach. There, he collapses, and three of the acrobats have to pull his twitching frame into the wagon before the crowd takes notice. Come to think of it, he was twitching very much the whole time, wasn't he?

15 minutes later, when the coffers in the back of the wagon are full and the supply of their mystic good has been exhausted, the portly herald announces the circus' imminent return on their way back to the far lands. As quickly as they arrived, the caravan is boarded up, the entertainers leave, and Korburrow is sleepy again.

Jacob finds himself now surrounded by the five adventurers as the town square empties. He removes a small spyglass and a letter, entrusting them to Vathis. "Give these to Captain Hithia. During your station at the tower, ensure that you keep watch to the western lands as well as the southern woods. I feel that word of our diminished numbers may have spread, and old enemies may soon surface." Compassionate eyes fall on Zephria. "In such a case, may vengeance not get the better of you."

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Vetis accepts the spyglass and letter, placing the spyglass in a pocket, as well as the letter. With another bow, she states "We will deliver your items in all haste, elder. I thank you for your words of warning and thank you for your time." She purses her lips. "Maybe some tea and creamed corn next time?"

Turning to her fellow adventurers, she grins and exclaims "Let's get a move on, boys. No reason to stand around here any longer." Addressing Morbin, she can't help but grin a little wider. "Unless you'd like to wrestle me! I'll be sure to go easy on you. No? Well, let's be off then! Nothing to get the feet moving like a bit of a tune!"

Taking her flute from her pack, she waves a hand at the elder, starts playing, and skips off down the road to Fort Dolor.
    I'm going to be using the Traveler's Chant ritual. Being a bard, there is no component cost. This means that for traveling purposes, while I play, the slowest member of the part has a speed increase of +2. I can play for up to 8 hours.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Watching the gnome skip off, Hadrian begins to follow. Looking back to his compatriots and bidding them to follow "Let us march. The road ahead is laid before us."

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Morbin slaps Vetis on the rump as she passes him. "Not sure you've got the stamina to dally with me, gel. Maybe when you're older."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Really? It's a quarter-hour walk to the Fort, must we have that tune?" Ryn mutters to himself, as he follows behind the bard.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    " Dammit, I was thirsty" comments Zephria to the dwarf. "If its any consolation, your opponent looks far worse off than you. I believe this (pantomiming the charlatan) 'LIQUERE OF VALOR!' does more harm than good."

She settles for a drink from her waterskin, then nods goodbye to elder Jachobsen.

Zephira manages a smile as looks over her new comrades, and falls into step with Vetis's march.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Vetis laughs at Morbin. "I didn't know you felt that way about thy foolysh strongmyn, Morbin!" Turning to Ryn, she scowls. "Maybe a little music could brighten up your day? No reason to be such a grump." With that, Vetis starts playing a lively jig, and manages to both jig and walk down the street.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "I must admit, I am rather fond of this tune." Hadrian chimes in

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zephria says: "I didn't know your, err... people, enjoyed singing and the like, Hadrian"

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Eh... We're just headed up to the fort, right? I guess this is as good a time as any to go and grab my gear. My house is just down the next road so I'll get my pack, and meet you all there."

With that, Ryn turns down the next side street and makes his way to his own home. When he gets to his house, he lets himself in and heads to the small chest in the corner of his bedroom where he stores his keepsakes. All the way at the bottom is an oiled leather bag containing both whats left of the supplies he left home with as well as his heirloom leather armor. Kept almost perfectly clean inside the sealed bag, it takes only a moment to restore the armor to the pristine state he had kept it in for the years he had been out in the world. He restores the armor to the sack, grabs the rod that helps him focus his power, and heads back out the front door, locking it tightly. After adjusting the straps of his pack to balance the weight, he sets off through a winding route through the city that he knows will lead him out towards the fort.

Edit: Ryn quietly whistles the tune that the bard was playing, hoping to get it out of his head as he walks the long walk to the fort.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "As other races are born enjoying similar musical tastes to their forefathers, as are we warforged. This tune is reminiscent of one my artificer played often after my creation." Hadrian replies.

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    " I hadn't thought of your people in that way before, but it makes perfect sense. This marching song reminds me of my childhood too" Zephira pauses and looks back to the town and elder Jacob, " I suppose all thinking creatures are shaped by their forefathers in the same way"

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Morbin would have liked to know more about his companions, but he couldn't quite settle on a way to enter the conversation. His earlier discussion with Zephria seemed to stir something buried deep within the paladin, and he thought it best to let some time pass before having any more serious conversation with her. The gnome was playing her instrument, and the warforged seemed as comfortable with silence as Morbin himself: his comments were short and to the point, and the last one neatly closed down the current line of conversation without creating any obvious openings for a new topic.

No, best to wait for a more opportune moment.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I think it's good that your maker would sing to you, Hadrian," Vetis chimes in, taking a short break. "Music is a common language to everyone. It'd be a tragedy if you couldn't share that." Pausing for a moment, Vetis tilts her head. "Hm. I do hope that Ryn can find us, would be a shame for him to get lost."

With that, Vetis started up a much slower, almost somber song, as the walls of Fort Dolor approached.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Now this is music I can appreciate. Glad to see you can play something with some substance to it, little lady."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zephria gazes the the walls of Fort Dolor in the distance, the somber music seeming to darken the stone. Then her eyes find Vetis, trying ever so hard to be serious, and her mood lightens again.

"You play very well, but I don't think that dirge suits your nature much" says Zephria as she tries not to smirk.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After getting out of the village, Ryn can see the others, a good bit ahead of him. It took longer to get his gear than he thought it would. A minute or two of hustling caught him up to the others just as they were getting close to the towers.

"Heh," Ryn pants. "I caught up. It's been a while since I've been up here, which of you were the ones that said you'd never seen the fort proper?"

While they walk the remaining distance to the fort, Ryn starts tying on the breastplate and other easy-to-get-to pieces of his leather armor, planning to sit down and get it all tightened once the group reaches their destination.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I'm not a one-trick pony, here. Just because happy songs are the most fun, doesn't mean I don't know the boring, super-depressing sad ones." With that, Vetis goes back to focusing on looking morose whilst playing.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Morbin grins, but says nothing.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif