As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Why the hell is noone making mario threads! ;)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50233.html

in any case, i wasnt impressed by this one at all. im sure we all agree that more SMG is a good thing, but this just looks so similar, more like an expansion pack then a new game. not that thats a bad thing in itself, but usually from nintendo you can expect a bit more...

alright, time to update this, ill put in a pic of that new rocksuit, looks pretty fun:
rockmario.jpg
and the new cloud suit is revealed:
thumb_screenshot_29513.jpg

PSN | Steam
___
NNID: carmofin
3DS: 2852 6971 9745
Throw me a PM if you add me
carmofin on

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

Graviija on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Nintendo wants to sell me the exact same thing with a bunch of new levels that is fine. I am all for more SMG.

Quid on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still need to beat the first game. That's one task I'll try to accomplish this week.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was smiling through the entire unveiling. I felt like a little kid. I felt good.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what I saw in that trailer, the level design seems exquisite.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks the same, I don't give a shit. Day one.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well miyamoto says it was planned to reuse a lot of content form the previous game, luckily the team got so excited that it shoul dbe expected to be 90% new content, with 10% being old levels with new missions.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »

This. So fucking hard. SMG is my absolute favourite game ever, so this is bought on day fucking one.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think they have the right idea here. Really, with Mario, we just want more of the same with a few a changes. More platforming goodness, with out any annoying mechanics ,like the water pack, to get in the way. The whole galaxy concept is really the farthest the series can go. I am fine if all of the rest of the games work off this concept.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As long as the platforming is awesome and the levels unique then I'm all for it. Miyamoto already said 90% of the levels are new and from the video they've already added a couple elements (Yoshi, the platforms that switch when you spin-jump (unless that was just a timing thing), looks like there's Giant/Miniature world).

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How will Nintendo top the best game of this generation?

I have no idea but I was grinning like a fool watching that trailer. It just looked so fun.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No Super Mario Supercluster? :cry:

EDIT- I'll never forget the fact that I was playing this in the middle of Astronomy class and it messed with my head. Rosalina's reactor accurately changes color with wavelength intensity!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just have to wonder what crazy ideas they have this time.

I mean, in that trailer alone I saw the interesting looking flip panels. It seemed to be that you flipped them by spinning. That could create some awesome levels.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    I just have to wonder what crazy ideas they have this time.

I mean, in that trailer alone I saw the interesting looking flip panels. It seemed to be that you flipped them by spinning. That could create some awesome levels.

I was more surprised by the shadows of Mario thingy. Maybe you have to mimic them exactly?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I sort of hope that this game has more open Mario 64-style worlds as opposed to the mostly linear stages that the first SMG had.

Even if it doesn't though I'm sure it'll be great.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what I just noticed in the trailer?

Winged Goombas.

Those weren't in SMG that I recall.

I also can't help but wonder what kind of story they're gonna cook up for this one. They already did the peach thing with the first game.

...and what, no pointer for collecting star bits?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I sort of hope that this game has more open Mario 64-style worlds as opposed to the mostly linear stages that the first SMG had.

Same here, though I'm betting it'll be more linear again.

Pooch on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess Nintendo finally knows a good thing when it finds something. SMG2 should bring some better stuff while still being familiar to people who have played the first one.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the motion controls in the first one sucked pretty bad, but this one looks much more interesting. It seems IR controls are for Yoshi only this time. I applaud this and hope they remove starbits because other than feeding star people starbits, they weren't integral to the game's design.

This one already shows the player jumping and then quickly moving the IR cursor to a point for Yoshi to grab. It's like Lost Woods but in 3D space. Very, very cool. I hope they expand on the idea.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ..and what, no pointer for collecting star bits?

Hard to tell, but that was pointer control for yoshi's tongue, which I'm loving.

And this reminded me again how good the SMG music was.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People honestly hated the pointer controls? What's so bad about idly tilting your hand back and forth every now and then?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

One of the clips of some snow world looked pretty damn big. Much bigger than anything in the first one anyway.

I think it would be cool if some galaxies had a linear design and some had the bigger, more explorative worlds of 64/Sunshine.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Star bits were useful in some stages (blowing up mines, knocking enemies away, etc.), but they were most useful for shopping. The increased-life mushroom was a goddamn steal for 30. Especially if you were down to one life point.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the motion controls in the first one sucked pretty bad

You mean using the pointer, or actual motion controls (spinning)? I'm curious because the pointer worked flawlessly and the spinning is the only thing I can think of that made you waggle. What about that sucked?

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm looking forward to this, but I'll have to go back to the first one and finish up the rest of the stars.
    How long has it been since there were two Mario platformers on the same system?

Jagged Waffles on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I thought the motion controls in the first one sucked pretty bad, but this one looks much more interesting. It seems IR controls are for Yoshi only this time. I applaud this and hope they remove starbits because other than feeding star people starbits, they weren't integral to the game's design.

This one already shows the player jumping and then quickly moving the IR cursor to a point for Yoshi to grab. It's like Lost Woods but in 3D space. Very, very cool. I hope they expand on the idea.

oh right, there is actually no starcursor anywhere, only a red yoshi cursor. i wodner what the starbits are for then...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Depends on if you count Yoshi's Island as a Mario platformer or not, I guess. Otherwise unless I'm forgetting something it hasn't happened since the NES.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loved SMG. More of the same would be just swell.

I do not however see the point of reusing old levels, even if they have new objectives. If it's going to only be 10 percent, would it really be that hard to create new levels for that extra 10 percent as well? It just seems pretty lazy, and it would be worth it to put forth the extra effort to make it 100 percent new.

But that's just me. Still, I am happy, just not jazzed.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Who said they're using old levels? I assumed they meant that the 10% is the stuff they wanted to be in SMG but had to be left out, and they were having so much fun with it that they kept adding new shit until they had a fully-fledged sequel on their hands.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I got.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who said they're using old levels? I assumed they meant that the 10% is the stuff they wanted to be in SMG but had to be left out, and they were having so much fun with it that they kept adding new shit until they had a fully-fledged sequel on their hands.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I got.

That is a pretty bizarre interpretation of "10% old stuff"

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    They could just cut the 10 percent out. Who would notice? Seems odd.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XeroxKopyXeroxKopy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You mean using the pointer, or actual motion controls (spinning)? I'm curious because the pointer worked flawlessly and the spinning is the only thing I can think of that made you waggle. What about that sucked?
    Well, there was the manta ray surfing. Also the part where you had to use the remote like a joystick to control Mario on the rolling ball.

But I thought those parts worked pretty well.

XeroxKopy on
    GT: Xerox Kopy
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The manta ray surfing was really hard, but not because of shitty controls. It was just hard.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's such a beautiful looking game. Why aren't third-parties making games that look as good as that?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The design. It felt very uninspired to me. Most of what was done is easily translated to a regular controller. I think the Wii can do better.

Functionally, it worked fine. I had no problems.

The new game seems to be more up my ally. Controlling two entities (Mario and the cursor) and having them work together in 3D space is cool design that hasn't really been done before. It's the kind of stuff I bought the Wii for.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got both manta ray surfing levels on my first try. That one rolling ball level though, I'm pretty sure that took me like forty fucking lives.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between this, and the 2D platformer, I have to buy a Wii.

Why do you make my wallet cry in pain!? Whyyyy?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    It's such a beautiful looking game. Why aren't third-parties making games that look as good as that?

Because it costs less and makes them more money to poop out lots of low-quality games that get bought regardless.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    I got both manta ray surfing levels on my first try. That one rolling ball level though, I'm pretty sure that took me like forty fucking lives.

I had the opposite experience. The ball rolling came naturally, the ray surfing... well... that was a bit more tough on the second course.

Icemopper on
This discussion has been closed.