As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

• MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I trick to ray surfing was laying off the accelerator.

MiserableMirth on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

Not enough lime in the world to show how much I agree with this statement. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

Not enough lime in the world to show how much I agree with this statement. :D

We can start by liming your post as well.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • XeroxKopyXeroxKopy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first manta ray surfing level was cake. The second one was pure evil though.

Anyway, I'm just looking forward to a 3D Yoshi that doesn't just spit and dissolve anytime he touches water. Yes, I'm talking about you, Super Mario Sunshine.

XeroxKopy on
    GT: Xerox Kopy
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, SMG was the reason I got a Wii in the first place. All I ask is for the purple coins challenges to be removed (or at least have them not as painful as Battle Rock). Bad memories.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, SMG was the reason I got a Wii in the first place. All I ask is for the purple coins challenges to be removed (or at least have them not as painful as Battle Rock). Bad memories.

Fuck that. The purple coin missions were some of the most fun in the game.

Speed Racer on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very very exciting. This gives me an excuse to play through SMG again...
    as Luigi.

Should I spoiler that? It doesn't seem like a big thing...

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ha, that was nothing. The purple coin Luigi challenge was pure torture.

Those disappearing blocks killed me so many times.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loved SMG. More of the same would be just swell.

I do not however see the point of reusing old levels, even if they have new objectives. If it's going to only be 10 percent, would it really be that hard to create new levels for that extra 10 percent as well? It just seems pretty lazy, and it would be worth it to put forth the extra effort to make it 100 percent new.

But that's just me. Still, I am happy, just not jazzed.

They're old content, but remixed.

The idea is that they could not do things with the old levels they wanted to. Maybe because of limitations, or experience, or time, but there are some things in certain levels that they wanted to expand. Maybe stuff like Matter Splatter that was extremely inventive, but not a full level.

I think, for all intents and purposes, it's better to let them make the game they want to make. EAD Tokyo thrives on enjoying the game they're creating and if they want to bring in the 10% of stuff they regret not doing in the first game, then god bless 'em, I'll play it with a smile.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In an interview with IGN, Reggie said this game is suppose to be designed more for the more experienced Mario fan. I hope he is telling the truth. Some of the harder stars in Galaxy were fantastic.

I hope this game has no comets. Since they are reusing so many assets, it would be nice if every star was unique.

MiserableMirth on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Most of them weren't bad, but having to restart the on-rails one after missing one coin? Or the one with the vanishing tiles? Those levels can die in a ditch.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Imran wrote: »
    The idea is that they could not do things with the old levels they wanted to.

one thing that really struck me as odd in SMG was how the flying item was integrated only into one single level.

and the only thing i dont want to come back AT ALL is throwing bombs at freaking switches...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Most of them weren't bad, but having to restart the on-rails one after missing one coin? Or the one with the vanishing tiles? Those levels can die in a ditch.

Luigi's Purple Coins was my favorite level.

Speed Racer on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree with pretty much everyone else. I loved SMG so more of the same is fine with me. Also, it has Yoshi. Yoshi! Day one purchase for me.

Aw man. The vanishing tiles levels succkkkeed. But it did provide a challenge, which a lot of games don't bother to do anymore. So I'll welcome more this time around too.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Purple coins were in the trailer, so I'd definitely expect them.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It weirds me out a bit that while watching that I was resisting the urge to scream at the monitor "Collect the fucking coins".

Seriously. He just kills the enemies and leaves the coins there. What kind of madman does that? Collect the fucking coins, jesus. They're right there, just pick them up! Don't run away, you still got coins on the ground there!

reVerse on
    edited June 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    It weirds me out a bit that while watching that I was resisting the urge to scream at the monitor "Collect the fucking coins".

Seriously. He just kills the enemies and leaves the coins there. What kind of madman does that? Collect the fucking coins, jesus. They're right there, just pick them up! Don't run away, you still got coins on the ground there!

I generally do not collect coins.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2009

Well, I enjoy some of the more insane Trauma Centre missions, so fair enough. At least nobody likes the side-quests where you have to throw bomb-ombs in the junkyard, right?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009

Well, I enjoy some of the more insane Trauma Centre missions, so fair enough. At least nobody likes the side-quests where you have to throw bomb-ombs in the junkyard, right?

At the very least they had better not.

Speed Racer on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I know how you feel. I'm the same way. Even in Zelda, I'll have maxed out my limit on rupees, but I go out of my freaking way to collect them anyway. It's probably OCD. But oh well.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This times a million. Super Mario Galaxy is the most fun I've ever had with a game since the first time I picked up a controller.

At the very least they had better not.

I had trouble with that for the longest time until I realized that you just had to throw them onto the coin markers.

And Luigi's Purple Coins was also one of my favorite levels.

JONJONAUG on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

I know how you feel. I'm the same way. Even in Zelda, I'll have maxed out my limit on rupees, but I go out of my freaking way to collect them anyway. It's probably OCD. But oh well.

Me too. It almost hurts if I try to leave one behind.

SirUltimos on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope this is essentially SMG: The Lost Levels
    Exact same gameplay but far more difficult

Ohtsam on
  • RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pooch wrote: »
    I sort of hope that this game has more open Mario 64-style worlds as opposed to the mostly linear stages that the first SMG had.

Even if it doesn't though I'm sure it'll be great.

Same here, though I'm betting it'll be more linear again.

I agree, the linearity and the way they cut levels when your getting a specific star turned me off from the game.

Mario 64 IMO is leagues ahead of Galaxy, there's no exploration, which is one of the reasons I love Mario 64.

RenegadeSilence on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Due to a distinct lack of funding, I just managed to acquire a copy of Galaxy yesterday, and I'm fucking in love with it.

This announcement makes me happy in the pants.

Aiserou on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    The reaction to this game is the exact opposite of Left 4 Dead 2.

There's reasons for that...just making an observation.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll have to get my Wii back off my parents at last.

Definitely buying this day 1. Loved the shit out of the first game and more of that is excellent.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Super mario galaxy is THE reason to own a Wii. Its truly a wonderful game, from the artwork to the story to the gameplay. Its up there with super metroid on the snes and some of the all time best games ever made. I still enjoy the soundtrack.

Viscountalpha on
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pooch wrote: »
    I sort of hope that this game has more open Mario 64-style worlds as opposed to the mostly linear stages that the first SMG had.

Even if it doesn't though I'm sure it'll be great.

Same here, though I'm betting it'll be more linear again.

I agree, the linearity and the way they cut levels when your getting a specific star turned me off from the game.

Mario 64 IMO is leagues ahead of Galaxy, there's no exploration, which is one of the reasons I love Mario 64.

This is actually why I loved Galaxy so much. Every star felt different and new instead of "I did this before, except this time I SHALL TURN LEFT". While I did appreciate Mario 64's open worlds and freedom, the much more detailed level design and incredible variation in Super Mario Galaxy more than made up for that loss.

The thing I REALLY liked about Mario Galaxy is how seamless the gameplay changes were from level to level while still being immensely varied. Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine were both good, but Mario 64 focused mostly on regular 3D platforming and Mario Sunshine had the FLUDD. While Mario 64 was great when it came out, there are a few levels going back that are either very sparse, boring, frustrating, or a combination of the above.

Super Mario Galaxy had a bunch of stuff in each level and no gameplay concept was ever really done more than twice. Nearly every stage was different from the one before it, and only two stages were really clones of previous ones (there were two Honeybee galaxies and two space fortress type galaxies). The controls were nearly flawless (there were some problems with positioning the camera on spherical planets, but thankfully this was only a problem in getting three out of the 120 stars), the uses of the Wii remote were clever, the levels were incredibly colorful and amazing to look at, and the music was beautiful. I haven't had that much fun with a video game since Super Mario Bros 3, and that was the first video game I ever played. To me, saying "would you like Super Mario Galaxy 2?" is like saying "would you like more nectar of the gods?".

JONJONAUG on
    edited June 2009
    I consider 64 and Galaxy to be different beasts. One is not superior nor inferior to the other. Nostalgia makes me prefer 64, but that's because 3D platforming was alien to me and I was enthralled by the newness.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Waiting more than seven months to announce a sequel certainly helps Galaxy 2 in that regard.

Zxerol on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

They're utterly worthless if you're at full health. I tend to obsessively collect every starbit, though.
    carmofin wrote: »
    and the only thing i dont want to come back AT ALL is throwing bombs at freaking switches...
    I got both of those on my first try. Throw them at the little yellow things. I don't know how people had so much trouble with it. You don't even need to notice the yellow things if you just put bombs where their blast will hit as many things at once as possible. Do the people having trouble throw a bomb per piece of trash, or something?

His Corkiness on
    edited June 2009
    I consider 64 and Galaxy to be different beasts. One is not superior nor inferior to the other. Nostalgia makes me prefer 64, but that's because 3D platforming was alien to me and I was enthralled by the newness.

That's a good call, it's hard to compare the two when nostalgia vs. advanced technology is involved.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009
    Generally, 64 has you finding the new in well-tread zones whereas Galaxy is constantly sending you off to the unfamiliar. Galaxy is more linear, but I think linearity gets treated unfairly as some evil of game design.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I hope this is essentially SMG: The Lost Levels
    Exact same gameplay but far more difficult

I am cautiously optimistic about Galaxy 2, but if this were the case I'd be all over it like a bad rash.

area on
    edited June 2009
    Until you're driven insane by Waluigi's Purple Coins.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I adored SMG right up to the purple coins which were like, anti-fun

I'm surprised the game didn't annihilate itself

I look forward to playing everything but the purple coins in 2

Elendil on
  • GallantRoweGallantRowe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As difficult as a lot of it was, completing SMG fully was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. I can't wait to dive right into this. I am also looking forward to possible new variations of classic enemies. Dry Magikoopas anyone?

GallantRowe on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I noticed that in the trailer, the music is a slightly changed version of the original theme, except for the Gusty Garden section which seems to be exactly the same. Was it just too awesome to alter?
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    Super Mario Galaxy had a bunch of stuff in each level and no gameplay concept was ever really done more than twice. Nearly every stage was different from the one before it, and only two stages were really clones of previous ones (there were two Honeybee galaxies and two space fortress type galaxies). The controls were nearly flawless (there were some problems with positioning the camera on spherical planets, but thankfully this was only a problem in getting three out of the 120 stars), the uses of the Wii remote were clever, the levels were incredibly colorful and amazing to look at, and the music was beautiful. I haven't had that much fun with a video game since Super Mario Bros 3, and that was the first video game I ever played. To me, saying "would you like Super Mario Galaxy 2?" is like saying "would you like more nectar of the gods?".

The disadvantage of that is the fact that entire games could be built out of concepts that Galaxy briefly skimmed over. I kept running into awesome things, beating them in less than 5 minutes, and then never seeing them again.

jothki on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yoshi?

Does this mean we get a good Yoshi's Island sequel soon?

Edith Upwards on
This discussion has been closed.