As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; It's out! Mind ye spoilers!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
cvlos1.png
News via Twitter
Official Site
Featuring a trailer in English and Japanese
and some screens

Watch it in HD!

Well, it's true. Hideo Kojima is directing the next installment of Castlevania. It's being made by the studio responsible for Jericho. The game will feature an open-world and apparently God of War styled combat.

The voice cast in English is pretty phenominal. And after seeing the trailer myself the doubts I was having slightly faded. Let's see what this is about in the coming months!

TGA Update: Kojima has made his own trailer for the TGS. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXV6oWKMcSU

Update Update Update: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is real in its leaked form it seems! OH NO!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-xbox-live/101420

Update Update: The tweet that killed Henroid's innerchild, and portion of looking-forward-to of this game.
CastlevaniaLOS
@HenroidT Sorry but Yamane san has left Konami :( We are using a new composer from Spain called Oscar Araujo on this project.

Update: A new extended trailer is out!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/54458.html

Harmony of Despair Rumor Mill:
Oh wait it's a real game. We have a thread floating around for it, it's been out for a short bit now.

Henroid on

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strangely enough, I predicted this on page one of the Konami teaser thread.
    16981245.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    castlevania- a wizard did it

Tanolen on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strangely enough, I predicted this on page one of the Konami teaser thread.
    16981245.jpg

I looked at the original image and didn't see the little man, so I thought you were just dicking around. I want to say I spite your prediction.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    I was dicking around. But it turns out my dicks are prophetic!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This would be terrible. Castlevania is already skating a thin line with it's ridiculous stories but people tolerate them because their short. You kill Dracula, his castle falls down, the main character and friends have a few words outside of the rubble, credits. That's Castlevania.

Kojima might not be able to resist a ten minute intro explaining why we should fear nukes more than Dracula.

emnmnme on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just hope that if this is true it doesn't interfere with his work on the new Snatcher game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nanomachines.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Castlevania is awesome on portable consoles because they're sidescrollers. I refuse to play any 3D castlevania, unless the gameplay is like Devil May Cry.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009
    What was that thing you injected me with?

An anti-vampire peptide.

UncleSporky on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Castlevania is awesome on portable consoles because they're sidescrollers. I refuse to play any 3D castlevania, unless the gameplay is like Devil May Cry.

Looking at the three and a half 3D Castlevanias, you have to admit they were always improving. I wouldn't want to play any of them a second time through, though.

emnmnme on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

An anti-vampire peptide.

This is going to be the worst meme ever.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Looking at the three and a half 3D Castlevanias, you have to admit they were always improving. I wouldn't want to play any of them a second time through, though.

They looked like the were improving, yes, but not to the point where I'd want to play them. Their poor reviews have always put me off. That doesn't mean that written off all 3D castlevania games, I've just yet to see the franchise successfully jump to 3D.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

An anti-vampire peptide.

Take it easy, I'm grateful.

If it weren't for this whip and your shot I would have turned into a bloodsucker out there.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009

An anti-vampire peptide.

If it weren't for this whip and your shot I would have turned into a bloodsucker out there.

Do you think love can bloom in a haunted castle?

UncleSporky on
    edited June 2009

An anti-vampire peptide.

"Dracula! Did you like my Holy Glasses?!"

"You're no dog. You're a man. What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apparently, it's being developed by the guys that did American McGee's Scrapland, and Clive Barker's Jericho.

MercurySteam IGN page

Lords of Shadow

This is oldish stuff, and IGN, so take that as you will. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Mustachio Jones on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's funny, because one of the artists for the recent Castlevanias is named Kojima

Fencingsax on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread is not complete without... THE MASK!

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/mask/

Krathoon on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

An anti-vampire peptide.

"Dracula! Did you like my Holy Glasses?!"

"You're no dog. You're a man. What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Belmont! TURN OFF THE GAME CONSOLE RIGHT NOW!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2009
    This game better have a Belmont in it. Even better, a resurrected Simon Belmont. They could have the Belmont line end and Simon comes back to fill the void.

Krathoon on
    edited June 2009
    I request a picture of the mask in both forms to be added to the OP in all it's creepiness.

Krathoon on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This would be terrible. Castlevania is already skating a thin line with it's ridiculous stories but people tolerate them because their short. You kill Dracula, his castle falls down, the main character and friends have a few words outside of the rubble, credits. That's Castlevania.

Kojima might not be able to resist a ten minute intro explaining why we should fear nukes more than Dracula.

Prety much spot-on.

Kojima isn't a remotely appropriate choice for the licence. Here's hoping this is wrong.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2009
    Well to be fair

We should fear nukes more than Dracula.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Prety much spot-on.

Kojima isn't a remotely appropriate choice for the licence. Here's hoping this is wrong.

I'm optimistic. Zone of the Enders proves that he can do fast paced action games.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited June 2009

Prety much spot-on.

I'm optimistic. Zone of the Enders proves that he can do fast paced action games.
    But fails to prove he can do exploratory ones.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2009
    Give the guy a chance before you just attack him, Christ.

Boktai wasn't super-talky or preachy and he did that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so is this game going to have vamp as a special guest? On a slightly more serious note, I really hope if this is true the characters don't act nearly as homoerotic as him.

ThePrimm on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am hoping for a 2D version on the 360 / PS3, imagine what you could do with that horsepower in 2D, kind of like Yoshi on the N64.

Venkman90 on
    edited June 2009
    I really dug Lament of Innocence (and I hear Curse of Darkness was near the same quality), so if it's like those in gameplay-style I will be happy.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope to god he isn't. I haven't enjoyed a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid. Well, I take that back, I enjoyed Twin Snakes... to a lesser extent because of the different soundtrack.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Prety much spot-on.

But fails to prove he can do exploratory ones.

ZoE was just produced by Kojima. It's Shuyo Murata's series.

Igort on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Boktai may have been decent, but Lunar Knights was terrible.

Delzhand on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really dug Lament of Innocence (and I hear Curse of Darkness was near the same quality), so if it's like those in gameplay-style I will be happy.

I enjoyed both these games too, although they definitely felt like they were missing something. Hopefully if the next game is 3D, they can make it work as well as they've done with the 2D games.

Of course, what I'd love the most is a 2D game on XBLA or PSN or whatever, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

I have no idea what to think if Kojima were to take over Castlevania.

SteevL on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Castlevania is one of the few game series - along with the likes of Mario, Zelda and maybe Final Fantasy - where the formula they have is pretty much all they need.

Explore shit, find secrets, kick enemy ass, kick boss ass. Find a new gothic-themed dungeon and do it again. Throw in just enough plot/characterization that it feels like it has a purpose. Optionally, find awesome items like the Claimh Solais or Crissaegrim to spice up the action.

I really hope they don't tamper with it too much should they make a new Castlevania game. I can do without them trying to make Castlevania into a movie/anime or whatever it is people accuse MGS of being these days.

I really can't claim to know much about Kojima or MGS, though; I haven't followed that series too closely since grade school.

Duffel on
    edited June 2009
    Okay the rumor is true. OP will be updated as soon as the presentation finishes.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    If there is one series they should be copying it is not the shallow, dreary antics of God of War.
    Open-world's not a bad thing, but it needs more than superficial combat to fill it.

Xagarath on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if IGA will continue to make portable games?....

Anyway, new blood for console Castlevania.

And fucking Kojima for God's sake. WTF in a good way.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Jebral wrote: »
    And fucking Kojima for God's sake. WTF in a good way.

Kojima's style does not scream "This would work for Castlevania."

Everything I've heard about this title has me thinking it's going to be bad.

Henroid on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If there is one series they should be copying it is not the shallow, dreary antics of God of War.
    Open-world's not a bad thing, but it needs more than superficial combat to fill it.

"Big empty spaces with superficial combat to fill the tedium" is what pretty much all the Castlevanias have been since Harmony or so. Here's hoping Kojima's involvement will mean that the series finally gets the budget, polish and development time the series deserves so we get an environment that's more than just a series of identical hallways and rooms with enemies randomly scattered about, and we get back to the full-budget, spit-and-polish shine of Symphony.

sethsez on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm just going to hope for the best with this one. I look forward to seeing screenshots/video.

SteevL on