As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Effing finally... after two freaking years...
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50290.html

PSN | Steam
___
NNID: carmofin
3DS: 2852 6971 9745
Throw me a PM if you add me
carmofin on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can't say I'm not looking forward to this, but people act like it's been forever.

We just got the first one last February. 15 months ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    japan has THREE and is getting THREE MORE soon! these games need to come out faster!

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    *Takes gun out of mouth* Say what?? :shock:

Yesssss, finally! The Curious Village was the first game I got on the DS (well, technically I got Tetris first, but I knew what I was getting going into that purchase) and loved it start to finish.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, yes! :D I loved the first one from start to finish (barring that one puzzle that everybody hated) and actually seeing some localization progress is great news, even if we've still supposedly got six months before release.

I just hope they take it easy on the "who is lying" styled questions - not that I hated them, but the type struck me as particularly repetative compared to the others.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally. We've been way behind on these.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll start working harder on the localizations if this one goes over well. It's not fair that they get so many of them! :x

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There too many good games on the horizon. This is not a bad thing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Although watching this makes me wonder what happened to
    the kid from the first game, whom I always assumed joined Layton's two-man band of puzzle-solving privateers

since the trailer's pretty much Layton, Luke, Layton+Luke, and that sweashbuckler chick. Could be that one person from the "shit crashes" scene but the design's so generic (not to mention the conditions poor) that it could be anybody.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    About damn time. I swear I saw this out when I was in Japan, and that was last August.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This was the best announcement from E3 for me. Fuck everything else, this is Professor Layton. The animated scenes, the puzzles, the music, there's nothing I don't love about the first game. I even got the soundtrack and I don't regret it one bit. The music is just wonderful, and the trailer for this game gives me the impression that the music will be even better.

I think the excuse Nintendo had for taking so long was that they wanted Europe to get the first game, and it took them about a year to localize it. I'm not even sure they changed anything beyond giving Luke an absolutely horrendous new voice. I don't think they even got a fixed version of the unreleased puzzle.

Gilder on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think the excuse Nintendo had for taking so long was that they wanted Europe to get the first game, and it took them about a year to localize it.

Actually no. Unlike first Layton, Japanese version of Diabolical Box has lots of storycentric puzzles, that would be totally incomphrensible if taken out from their cultural context (wordplays, references to japanese culture, etc.). This was also problem with the first game, but when Nintendo localized it, they actually snatched some puzzles from Diabolical Box to fill the gaps. Our Diabolical Box has lots of different puzzles from japanese version, and also more cutscenes.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well that's a way better excuse. Still, 18 months for the sequel is just way too long when the sequel was already out. They must have gotten really stumped on a puzzle to make it work in english.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    (barring that one puzzle that everybody hated)

What one was that?

Blakout on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Blakout wrote: »

What one was that?

I'm guessing the "Alphabet" one. The only one that I really hated, and was just not logical at all to me was the "chocolate bar" one.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I actually bought Curious Village last week. Wonderful game, with my only complaint being the complete disconnect the puzzles have from the actual story. There's rarely a puzzle you solve that is a real, practical problem being face by someone. It's literally "Solve this puzzle!" or "Hey, a puzzle lying there!".

Don't get me wrong: the game is still charming and something very different from Nintendo. I was just wish the actual meat of the gameplay was more directly tied to the plot.

I will definitely buy this either way.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blakout wrote: »

What one was that?

I'm guessing the "Alphabet" one. The only one that I really hated, and was just not logical at all to me was the "chocolate bar" one.

I was gonna post that, actually. Had to look it up on GameFAQs. Don't remember the alphabet one, but I know the chocolate bar was the only one that I had to cheat on.

Blakout on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yesss. I want these games to never end, but to come out a little faster...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The presentation in Curious Village was far, far greater than a puzzle minigame collection had any right to be, especially the music. Man, I loved the music. Now I have an excuse to post this...

...rendition of the Diabolical Box theme

Zxerol on
  • Options
    XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh no, not more sliding block puzzles! I hate them all through the last game, and Ill hate them all through this game. But I will play. Oh how I will play!

Xynn on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taken long enough.
    I imagine we'll see the third in 2011 at this rate.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wooooooooooo!

My only annoyance is it comes out just after I leave for my Honeymoon. Yes, yes, I know there should be other things to occupy the newlywed gentleman but I also have a 12hr flight to get through.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was that a Towers of Hanoi puzzle with pancakes in that trailer?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Was that a Towers of Hanoi puzzle with pancakes in that trailer?

Damn you for beating me to it by a minute.

Yes, I believe it was.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    20080213.jpg

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My only annoyance is it comes out just after I leave for my Honeymoon.

When is this, exactly? I didn't catch a date anywhere (for the release, although conrgats!).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    August 24th according to the fact sheet on the Nintendo press site. Of course that'll be America. God knows when it will make it Europe. Import away!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's so many good games coming out. My girlfriend doesn't play a lot of games, but she actually beat the first professor layton before me.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the kid from the first game, whom I always assumed joined Layton's two-man band of puzzle-solving privateers

since the trailer's pretty much Layton, Luke, Layton+Luke, and that sweashbuckler chick. Could be that one person from the "shit crashes" scene but the design's so generic (not to mention the conditions poor) that it could be anybody.
    She's in it. The japanese trailers show her running around with the group quite a bit, actually. I wonder if they left her out of the US trailers to keep from spoiling it for people who are still playing the first one.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    August 24th according to the fact sheet on the Nintendo press site. Of course that'll be America. God knows when it will make it Europe. Import away!

Isn't that the same day as Metroid Prime Trilogy?

(/me checks)

It is. Damnit.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

shes with them, im pretty sure i saw some screenshots.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alphabet puzzle? The only one I remember really stumping me was the one with the aliens trying to identify the device that puts a hole in paper. Fuck that puzzle right to hell and back.

Anyway, sign me up for some more Layton. Probably a day one, or at least a day after paycheck if nothing else.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Alphabet puzzle? The only one I remember really stumping me was the one with the aliens trying to identify the device that puts a hole in paper. Fuck that puzzle right to hell and back.

That one was kinda bullshit, yeah. And one of the "downloadable" (read: unlockable) "puzzles" (in this case read: riddle) about the knight and the blood-sucking creature too.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I haff tvelve metchsteek"
    classic

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That chocolate bar can die a fiery death.

The trailer intrigues me to no end.

What is in that box?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's her head, man. Come on, we've been over this.

Oh, you mean the titular box.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Chocolate bar?

OH YEAH! I remember that puzzle. That was easy. Took like, 30 seconds.

Houn on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    voice acting is really good. i always see the curious village and am also tempted to pick it up but I never do

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mts wrote: »
    voice acting is really good. i always see the curious village and am also tempted to pick it up but I never do

You should. It was a fantastic game.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    whoa, guess this is a good place to post this, but i just found out that level 5 isnt only doing layton puzzle games...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn6SR72fVNM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDhMVO4wGJU

so... essentially this leaves 6 games to be translated, with their current speed being around 2,5 years per translation we can probably expect the last one to pop up in... 15 years...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Anyway, sign me up for some more Layton. Probably a day one, or at least a day after paycheck if nothing else.
    Christ, yes, that's the one. Everyone and their mother was completily riled up on it back when the first game was fresh. Just stupidly obtuse and archaic. :x

Sorenson on