As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing: you're serious?

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll buy this if it has Agent G and Detective Washington driving an ice cream van.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll buy this if it has Agent G and Detective Washington driving an ice cream van.

Oh my god there is no chance but this would be amazing.

I am also holding out for this:

85800965.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All stars tennis worked out pretty well for them. The name is dumb, clearly a marketing thing to attract both the people who like Sonic and the people who like Sega...which assumes there's a significant difference. "Super Mario and Nintendo Characters Kart!"

I think the idea is to say that there will be more character than just sonic franchise ones, while still sticking "SONIC" in big bold letters on the front. All the Mario Kart characters technically inhabit the same sort of "world." There's a lot of sega characters I don't associate with Sonic.

Though I guess Brawl completely makes that idea moot.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alex Kidd is a must, as are characters from VF, FV. What about Billy Hatcher? Load this shit up with everything!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Edit: I hope it has more varied characters than Sega Tennis. I demand Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III!

Yes, please. I was sad when he wasn't in Sega Superstars Tennis.

You. I like you. :)

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Ryo Hazuki on a motorcycle OR a forklift

Lan Di in a black car

edit: I'd love a pinball themed level, akin to waluigi pinball from mario kart DS. There's plenty of sonic levels to draw inspiration from for that.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As long as this game has a City Circuit with "City Escape" playing as the background music, all is well.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

85800965.png

UncleSporky, you've done it again. Yes! Alex Kidd! And Billy Hatcher too! I know we've only seen, what, four members of the cast, but I'm hoping that it's not loaded to the teeth with the Sonic cast. Chuck in Knuckles and that's it for the Sonic cast (Screw Amy. Wait, I didn't think that one through - to hell with Amy. There we go, sounds better).

EDIT: 1:02 in the trailer shown, is that the back of AiAi's head I see as Sonic speeds by a yellow kart?

Dunxco on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    UncleSporky, you've done it again. Yes! Alex Kidd! And Billy Hatcher too! I know we've only seen, what, four members of the cast, but I'm hoping that it's not loaded to the teeth with the Sonic cast. Chuck in Knuckles and that's it for the Sonic cast (Screw Amy. Wait, I didn't think that one through - to hell with Amy. There we go, sounds better).

EDIT: 1:02 in the trailer shown, is that the back of AiAi's head I see as Sonic speeds by a yellow kart?
    Yeah, I think the cast so far is:

Sonic
    Tails
    Amy
    Eggman
    Samba Monkey
    AiAi

Sumo did a good job with the cast of Sega Superstars Tennis. They even included Alex Kidd (if I remember correctly). So I'm looking forward to see who they include in this game.

Rex Dart on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

85800965.png

Alex Kidd was in Sega Superstars Tennis

a dude by the name of S0L has been posting on Seganerds. He works for digital sumo and has been talking about the game. He says that they heard the fan reaction to the cast from SST and that this game's cast is gonna be way more varied. When someone joked about Ryo Hazuki in a forklift, he replied with "prepare to be shocked."

I want Opa-Opa, dammit.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited June 2009
    And yes, the guys behind Outrun 2006 are behind this game. According to S0L, it plays like Outrun 2.

I hope they include heart attack mode and 777 speedway.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And yes, the guys behind Outrun 2006 are behind this game. According to S0L, it plays like Outrun 2.

Hey okay. Now there is hope for this. Cool.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey okay. Now there is hope for this. Cool.
    YaYa wrote: »

Before you dismiss it entirely, the guys behind the OutRun 2 ports are doing it. One of them has even said "think OutRun crossed with Sega Superstars Tennis, and you're getting the right idea." In other words, it may actually be good. Of course, that won't stop all the review sites panning it just because it's Sonic.

...Given mine was post #5, I now believe I am capable of turning invisible.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No offense to Sumo Digital, who I have a ton of respect for, but Outrun 2006 was just a port of Outrun 2SP, which was developed by AM2. And while Outrun 2 is a great driving game, it's nothing like a cart-racing game. The success of a cart-racing game is usually closely tied to how cool the courses are, and how fun (and hopefully balanced) the item / special ability system is.

Still looking forward to this game. I bet the mission mode is going to be nuts.

Rex Dart on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Igort wrote: »
    I love Sonic, and have always done so since I was a kid.

But geez, I'm starting to feel like the girlfriend that always goes back to the abusive jerk. Has all hope of a good 3D sonic game been extinguished?

I'm the only one that really liked Sonic Unleashed.

Naa, you're not the only one.

I thought it was great (nay, fantastic) up until the very end.

I thought the Super Sonic bit, which is usually done fairly well, felt rushed and kinda fell flat on it's face, but I loved everything else, and I even liked the Werehog sections more than the Daytime sections in most cases.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic is racing in vehicles because it is a competition involving vehicles and Sonic plays by the rules.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not even Sega All-Stars at this point. It's Sonic's Crew and Two Other Characters.

TSR: I still hate you.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    It's not even Sega All-Stars at this point. It's Sonic's Crew and Two Other Characters.

TSR: I still hate you.

OU gets eliminated from the CWS

meanwhile Texas makes history
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    No offense to Sumo Digital, who I have a ton of respect for, but Outrun 2006 was just a port of Outrun 2SP

Let me stop you right there. Outrun 2006 was NOT a port of Outrun 2 SP. Outrun 2006 used an entirely new engine developed from the ground up by Digital Sumo, while Outrun 2 SP used the old Outrun 2 engine.

According to S0L, SSR will be using their proprietary Outrun 2006 engine.

TheSonicRetard on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn, I'd been meaning to make a post on this, but never had the opportunity...
    Kor wrote: »
    Its Sonic in a cart...

Yeah, this'll work.

It worked for the plumber.
    Before you dismiss it entirely, the guys behind the OutRun 2 ports are doing it. One of them has even said "think OutRun crossed with Sega Superstars Tennis, and you're getting the right idea." In other words, it may actually be good. Of course, that won't stop all the review sites panning it just because it's Sonic.

Oh, this I had not heard, but gives me even greater faith. I already had hope for this one, given that SEGA seems to do racing games pretty well if nothing else (mind, I know they've had flops, usually the Sonic-based stuff, but unless I'm mistaken, their track record is more good than bad).
    Wait, Sonic is in a kart? I thought he was going to be in Mario Kart but they fought over the fact that Sonic needed to be in a kart and they refused?

I heard that was due to Naka's insistence, which is irrelevant now, as he's no longer part of SEGA proper.
    Let's take a look at the track record (apologies for the poor pun) with Sonic and racing games:

1) Sonic Drift. Fun, but short.
    2) Sonic Drift 2. Just as short as the above, but lacking the fun part.
    3) Sonic R. No comment.

So what the hell possessed them to go back and give it a fourth try?

I think it's wrong to look at this as a Sonic game; it's more like a SEGA game that's using Sonic's name for marketing value, i.e. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

I think it's meant to fall closer in line with SEGA Superstars Tennis.
    Any word out there on actual gameplay? Based on Tail's plane it seems like there might be different vehicles, maybe like Diddy Kong Racing?

Yup; there will be cars, planes, and motorcycles.
    TheStig wrote: »
    They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with those "all stars"
    Though they do have the opportunity to rip off everything mario kart wii did right while discarding or improving on the stuff they screwed up.

This is what I hope for, re: bothersome items
    anoffday wrote: »
    That makes no sense. If sonic is so damn fast then why would he ever need a crappy little go kart?

Because it's a car race? I don't see why the concept of adhering to the rules of a contest one is participating in seems so foreign to so many people.
    agoaj wrote: »
    Sonic got in debt with the mob.
    The mob broke his legs so he needs to race in a go-kart to pay them back.

I could go for that explanation, too. Don Pianta says "Pay up your debts, youze!"
    Also, Sonic needs a kart. How else will he shoot turtle shells?

And then this as well.
    Though I guess Brawl completely makes that idea moot.

At least Brawl is AU.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2009
    Well, Shadow's now confirmed, complete with bike. However, I think another character may be hiding in one of IGN's screenshots... http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14353442/sonic--sega-all-stars-racing-/images/sonic-sega-all-stars-racing--20090602112812182.html?page=mediaFull

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or that is Big the Cat.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited June 2009
    The scenery is beautiful. I can just see myself going "Oooh... Shiney" and then driving straight off of a cliff as a result. The vehicles are looking quite nice as well, very thematic for the characters ( [strike]Eggman[/strike]Robotniks in particular looks fantastic, good to see the return of that old-school flying thing from the early days).

You're right, I too think that's Big the Cat, which makes me sigh. I'm really hoping they're keeping the other Sega cast under lock and key, and just throwing the Sonic cast at us to bide us over. I know Sega doesn't have a hugely diversive cast of marketable figures beyond Sonic and co., but if we're looking at something ridiculous like 80% sonic characters, 20% other Sega ones then... Well, bleh. I don't have high hopes though, since we've seen Sonic/Tails/[strike]Eggman[/strike]Robotnik/Amy/Shadow and now Big. Come on, honestly, Big the cat? I'd rather see Silver riding in a car powered by his own psychokinesis.

Edit: And where the *bleep* is Knuckles?

Dunxco on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Igort wrote: »

But geez, I'm starting to feel like the girlfriend that always goes back to the abusive jerk. Has all hope of a good 3D sonic game been extinguished?

I'm the only one that really liked Sonic Unleashed.

Naa, you're not the only one.

I thought it was great (nay, fantastic) up until the very end.

I thought the Super Sonic bit, which is usually done fairly well, felt rushed and kinda fell flat on it's face, but I loved everything else, and I even liked the Werehog sections more than the Daytime sections in most cases.

Yeah, that and the boss fight just before it felt really dumb.

Igort on
    edited June 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-sonic-sega/50587

I love how this looks to be shaping up.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2009

...Okay, going by how he seems to keep taking the lead, bagsie Tails. :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, Shadow's now confirmed, complete with bike. However, I think another character may be hiding in one of IGN's screenshots... http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14353442/sonic--sega-all-stars-racing-/images/sonic-sega-all-stars-racing--20090602112812182.html?page=mediaFull

No, you're right, that looks like Big the Fucking Goddamn Cat. So, what, that's Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, Amy, Shadow, and Big? That's six goddamn characters from one franchise. Yes, it's their biggest one, but still, they may as well just make it Sonic Drift X or whatever.
    I just want to see someone from Clockwork Knight, Ristar, the dude from Space Harrier (did he ever have a name?), Vectorman... Come on! Make it happen, Sega!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh hey, do a trick in the air to get another boost, that's totally nothing like Mario Kart. Neither are "star" moves for getting back to first place.

But I'm only partly serious, it does look pretty good. I like the classic level reinvisioned as a race track and can't wait to see the Monkey Ball track!

That'll be the Rainbow Road.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Where's the drifting? :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited June 2009

Oh hey, do a trick in the air to get another boost, that's totally nothing like Mario Kart. Neither are "star" moves for getting back to first place.

But I'm only partly serious, it does look pretty good. I like the classic level reinvisioned as a race track and can't wait to see the Monkey Ball track!

Yeah, it looks good to me, but hearing how "different" it is... I'm not seeing it yet.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

To be fair, Sonic Riders DID have an aerial trick system, and it was integral to gameplay (Tricks refilled your air meter, which was basically your fuel and boost meter at the same time).

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, blatant clone it is, then.

Xagarath on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes its a blatant clone of another kart racing game, oh my, what ever will we do!?

Amikron Devalia on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Pretty much what IGN said.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZeromaeusZeromaeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh Sonic, you never learn do you?
    Fastest creature on Mobius and what do you do? You buy a Sonicmobile and race other people in off-color go-karts.
    Of course playing through it, there'll probably be one character not in a kart. I can see it now, riding down the last straightaway and NiGHTS zooms past while flipping you off, clearly indicating you should've ditched the kart and ran.

Zeromaeus on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

Pretty much what IGN said.

As long as it's a good blatent clone, I'm happy. There aren't enough Goofy/Silly racing games these days. everything is either Gran Turismo or Burnout or Forza or PGR.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2009
    Besides, there's proof that clone kart games work very well. Crash Team Racing (the PSOne game) anyone?

Dunxco on
    edited June 2009
    Besides, there's proof that clone kart games work very well. Its not Crash Team Racing (the PSOne game) though, because it was awesome.

Yes, we know.

Zeromaeus on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

pretty much, unless they outsource it to people who know what the fuck they're doing

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2009
    I sometimes sit and imagine a world where the games Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic and the Black Knight don't exist, but instead there are games like Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic and Knuckles 2, and ... Sonic Racing (on foot).

Zeromaeus on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dare them to get somebody to make a next gen, hd sonic sidescroller

I dare them

and I also dare them to not have anyone but sonic, knuckles, tails, and robotnik in it

not eggman

robotnik

I dare them

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2009
    I don't mind a clone. In fact, I'm hoping for one, a clone of the Mario Kart experience we knew before Blue Shells, POW Blocks, and such came raining down on the Wii.

LBD_Nytetrayn on