As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    envwip4.jpg

It looks rad to me. I usually dig your choice of color, and this is no exception.

as far as crits go, I think the characters look a little stiff and stumpy, and the jump from foreground to background is really drastic about a cm above the highest character on the far left, like it looks like the ground goes from being 10 yards behind her to 30 yards behind her with nothing between -if that makes any sense. Maybe it comes from the sudden jump in atmospheric perspective you have, I'm not sure.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd say the girl (?) on the lefts legs look like stumps and the piece dosen;t feel epic enough, try making one of the ships have more of a dynamic pose, like if one of them was flying over them or something, the skull thing seems fairly pointless as it dosen't seem to have any sort of use, why is it there, what is it doing, is the land supposed to be flat, why are they there looking up, who'se ships are they, are they attacking, are they friendly, it just dosen't have enough character to really keep the mind involved properly within in, try discussing within the piece the relation between everyhing and make in flow together, also consider some more interesting compositional devices

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ManonvonSuperock - I really appreciate it, my friend. Your critique makes perfect sense, I will try to fix it up tomorrow.

Misosoup - So, besides the fact that it's a boring compostion (which I realize.. it pisses me off, but I should have taken more care of that in the beginning.. something to keep in mind, for sure) the piece just doesn't draw the viewer in enough, story wise? This is something I need to work on. Thanks man, I will remember that, but such revisions are too major or I am too lazy. The next environment will be better in that department! I can definitely work on the characters some more though, her legs are stumpy.

F87 on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    f87, for me there's just no scale/depth. The thing looks really shallow, like there's all of about 50m between the figures and the skull, after which the world drops away to nothing. For instance, the atmospheric effects seem to indicate the rear plane is well in the distance, but how far away could it be if the foreground plane is only very slightly larger?

I'd probably start by bringing the figures closer to the viewer, make them bigger, and by making the furthest skull smaller, just to establish a clearer line between distance/scale of the different elements. Or if you want the skull things to be super epic, make them super-gigantic maybe!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    roughoverlay.jpg

even something like this would be in improvement in my mine, I don't have my wacom on me so I can't do a proper draw over, but a lot of the rendering looks really tight, but if you could take the large spaceship and turn it a little bit so it looks like the guy is waving off a friend flying over him to try and create some sort of epicity so it

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WIP of "Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n Roll" with Disney ladies. The Grandfather clock sucks, and I didn't use a reference, which is also why I didn't ink it right away. Outside the window there is also a silhouette that resembles Beast's castle from Beauty and The Beast. I'll probably be tracing/transferring it to a different kind of paper; right now it's on watercolor paper. It is far from finished, so please please please let me know what's wrong with it. (:

sexdrugsrockroll.jpg

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    where's the sex and rock n roll?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's supposed to read from right to left. I was considering using Belle instead of Ariel, but I liked the bathtub thing too much ):

melting_doll on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    where's the sex and rock n roll?

I think the sex is that little mouse on the table who looks like he is getting himself off with that smile and his hands in his crotch :D

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it's really difficult to get a piece to read right to left. you'd have to do some strong things compositionally to pull that off.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, I said right to left, didn't I? I meant left to right ): Jasmine as sex, Alice as drugs, and Ariel as Rock n' Roll.

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ah.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    "Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n Roll" with Disney ladies.

Man, you are way too wholesome for this, like a 4-week old corgi trying in all earnestness to throw what it thinks would constitute a wild kegger party. Try as hard as it might it you know it's going to just going to be all chewtoys and small bone-shaped treats.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    starting on poses
    2s84gp0.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm liking the pose tam. i think that there's somethign a little awkward about that sword handle though. looks too long and the way the beaver is holding it looks a little awkward because of that.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it's too long for that sort of saber/cutlass/whatever. It will be fixed, thanks jasper.

Tam on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    np. glad i'm actually able to say somethign of use.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, you are way too wholesome for this, like a 4-week old corgi trying in all earnestness to throw what it thinks would constitute a wild kegger party. Try as hard as it might it you know it's going to just going to be all chewtoys and small bone-shaped treats.

I am only sad because it is true. );

Instead, here's another WIP:
    MyPicture.jpg

It's oil..on watercolor paper. I'm trying to practice with a lot of mediums I've never used before, which includes nearly everything except watercolor. But I'm also poor and cannot afford to buy canvases when I'm worried it would turn out to be a waste.
    The speech bubble will probably have a wolf. (:

melting_doll on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Man this place is slow- it's like a Sunday afternoon or something

more brainstorming

2qiusyw.jpg

If you finish all this it should be epic, you've gone full blown masquerade.

I'm a huge fan of the roman penquin and sultan chinchilla, not so much the pirate beaver.

Now I got the damn masquerade song stuck in my head, damn the stupid phantom of the opra and its catchy music. :x

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like the pirate beaver.

F87 on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    it just looks kind of flat to me, right now atleast.

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm.. possibly..

F87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah pirate beavo's going to need some detail and tweaks to look less flat.

Tam on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    A pen and ink sketch of Michael Keaton as Batman:

bat_movie.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It looks digital somehow.

Also, how do you like the Lakota chief look?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    where's your other picture of Keaton as Batman?

why does the bat-logo have extra points on the ass?

another crappy watercolor; this time of my shitty hotel lobby:

060209.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Perspective issues asside, I like the feel of that piece. I'm a sucker for watercolors though.

Cool batman as well, dmac. Solid hatching!

F87 on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Short sketch from the National Gallery today.

3593114376_7c3d537880.jpg

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Because I scanned it in?

I'm not getting the Lakota chief reference.

Just another pen and ink piece. I posted the sketch of Captain Kirk a week or two ago.

I don't know why they added the extra ass points to the logo but they did.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    my bad, my GIS brought up Batman Returns results instead.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think he's just asking if you like yourself with a lakota chief headdress?... that or I'm completely missing it too.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I traced a car in Illustrator.

zedaughtsix.jpg

NibCrom on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    F87, one thing that stands out to me is the giant skull. The area around the jaw doesn't look like a hinged jawbone so much as white flesh. Jaws usually connect closer to where the ears are.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DMAC wrote: »

Because I scanned it in?

I'm not getting the Lakota chief reference.

Just another pen and ink piece. I posted the sketch of Captain Kirk a week or two ago.

I don't know why they added the extra ass points to the logo but they did.

I meant that the strokes look like something done in Photoshop rather than with pen and ink.

The Lakota chief thing was my sketch of you in a feather headdress up there with the Greek penguin (Lyrium), the Sultan Chinchilla (Loomdun), and PROX in a sombrero for the fancy hat contest.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I see. It's a nice sketch. I just didn't recognize myself all fancied up like that.

I did the hatching with a combination of brush pen and fine-tipped pen. I was going to do it all with the brush pen but the tip on the one I have here is starting to fray and it would have been too hard to get clean lines.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh I see

I need to do a better study of that cartoon version of you on your site, I guess

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Delzhand. I did not realize that.

Here is a really quick storyboard idea:

storyboard1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mattharvest- your line work is just crazy good. The brown and whites go so well with the colour of the paper.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    F87 - Compositions are looking good. Hope you develop it further.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    paint2copy.jpg

NakedZergling on
This discussion has been closed.