As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXI] LEVEL CAP 99 HERE WE COOOMMMME

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because they want that FFXI userbase to transition to FFXIV.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 'information' tab on the teaser site says that the platforms will be the Playstation 3 and Windows.

That seems like pretty strong evidence indicating that it'll be on the PC.

I'm really glad that they're not using Ivalice as the world for this MMO. I disliked pretty much all the non-Hume races in that, even though I enjoyed FFXII.

Looking forward to a next generation MMO from Square. Hopefully, I'll be able to do everything I wanted to in FFXI before it comes out. :3

Kitsurubami on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully FFXIV isn't as grindy as FFXI. I'll be buying it day one no matter what though. : P

Esh on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Hopefully FFXIV isn't as grindy as FFXI. I'll be buying it day one no matter what though. : P

I'm willing to bet they've learned a lot in the intervening years from WoW and other MMO's.

I'm pretty stoked for this. I have a feeling it'll see the 360 too but I suppose it doesn't matter as I'd play it on the PC anyway. I just hope they optimize the PC version a LOT more than FFXI. There's no reason it runs as poor as it does for as old and low poly of a game it is.

I hope they update the site with some real screenshots not just from the fmv trailer.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    By the way, this may be of some interest. From the press release:
    Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), announced that FINAL
    FANTASY XIV, an all new massively-multiplayer role-playing game (MMORPG), is planned for
    simultaneous global release with language support in Japanese, English, French and German.

Platforms: PLAYSTATION® 3 & Windows®
    *Details on required PC specifications to be announced at a later date
    Languages: Japanese, English, German, French (simultaneous release)
    Genre: MMORPG
    Release: 2010
    MSRP: TBD
    ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
    Copyright: © SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
    Development Staff
    Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)
    Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)
    Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story®, FINAL FANTASY XII)
    Music: Nobuo Uematsu of SMILE PLEASE (FINAL FANTASY series)

Akihiko Yoshida also did the character designs for FFT, FFTA, and the Ogre Battle franchise, by the way.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just hope that simultaneous release also applies to the PC version and not just regional.

I'm curious though because it clearly has the FFXI races but there's no indication that it's Vana'diel. Other side of the world? New world same races? Alternate reality?

I never got too terribly far into the FFXI story; is there anything in WotG or the new expansion that would indicate a shift towards this stuff?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited June 2009
    This is apparently a completely new world. Some people are speculating that the "Rapture" codename for the game could be talking about the "Children of Altana" being "raptured" to a new world.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    No Galka tails!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OMG!!!
    FF14.
    I wonder if this game is still as hardcore as FF11.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The newer patches of FFXI are not anywhere near as hard core as the older versions of FFXI. Which do you mean?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    An upgraded sequel to FFXI is all I've ever really wanted

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Vana'diel would have been nice though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always got the feeling they were just experimenting with the last few patches to see what would work in a new game, anyway all the great changes they have made to FFXII recently give me much hope for FFXIV.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who's to say it's not Vana'diel, just under a new name

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No Galka tails!

Either this gets fixed or no sale!

NO!
    SALE!

Whats next, galka's with ears?! Sheesh!!!!

Smashism on
    edited June 2009
    Smashism wrote: »
    No Galka tails!

Either this gets fixed or no sale!

NO!
    SALE!

Whats next, galka's with ears?! Sheesh!!!!

That's like... mithras with no creepy guys playing them pretending they're girls. It's just not FF online without them.

TheStig on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just when I was kicking around the idea of picking up XI for my 360. Nice timing.

Esh on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The big question is.
    Will you be able to Solo or will you still need to Party for FF14.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    The big question is.
    Will you be able to Solo or will you still need to Party for FF14.

They have been leaning towards greater soloability and low man party stuff in the last few patches. I would assume they it will at least be more solo friendly.

TheStig on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definitely not enough to go on yet, but.... meh.

It took SE long enough to actually have enough interest to start handling the RMT situation, and honestly their customer service is still lacking.

I'll wait 2-4 months after release to decide, while reading info til then.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited June 2009
    I assume that the preview was a CGI prerender and not rendered in real time by the Crystal Tools Engine, right

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Probably.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Definitely not enough to go on yet, but.... meh.

It took SE long enough to actually have enough interest to start handling the RMT situation, and honestly their customer service is still lacking.

I'll wait 2-4 months after release to decide, while reading info til then.

They honestly seem to be learning from their oversights instead of keeping steadfast on their original design philosophy, which is a good thing.

At the very least it will be interesting to see what, if any gameplay overhauls take place.

Javen on
    edited June 2009
    Probably.

I read some interview where the head developer mentioned something about "wanting it to look roughly as attractive as advent children in real time", so I was just curious.

I have no doubts it'll be beautiful, though, in light of FFXI's incredible, unique art style.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    FFXI looks good to this day, it's way better than looking than vanguard and the characters aren't all wearing spandex with football shoulder pads like wow.
    I just hope they don't go overboard on the graphics requirements then do that whole not being able to see more than 2 feet when there are 600 people in the zone.

What bugs me is that the game has been in development for 5(?) years and they don't have more info available. TELL ME WHAT JOBS ARE IN!

TheStig on
  • NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I assume that the preview was a CGI prerender and not rendered in real time by the Crystal Tools Engine, right

I'm wondering if the ship part of the trailer is in-game. From the screen shots, it looks like it could be:

2r26fs6.jpg
    ffxiv14.jpg

NovembersChopin on
    edited June 2009
    It looks like those were rendered in game. Possible a mission cut scene type thing.
    Anyway, you know what was strange about FFXI that I hope they fix in FFXIV? There were no black people.

TheStig on
    edited June 2009
    My God, those screenshots are beautiful. If they manage to retain their art style like that on a next-gen engine then I am so fucking sold. I'd pay a lot for that.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    It looks like those were rendered in game. Possible a mission cut scene type thing.
    Anyway, you know what was strange about FFXI that I hope they fix in FFXIV? There were no black people.

A-hem:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Fomor

:D

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Like I said previously about XI, I hope that XIV embraces custom UI mods. WoW was awesome because of this. If they wouldn't be so update about programs like windower that improve the game and give no true significant advantage, they will probably be able to take a large chunk out of WoW's monopoly* on the MMO market. FFXI is a great game, but the problems with it deter a lot of new MMO users and force them to WoW. I think that the average player is very accustomed to MMOs now, may find some fresh refuge in XIV, but a clunky UI like in XI will cause most to steer clear.

*I know it's not a true monopoly, but the WoW population is larger than most countries.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Like I said previously about XI, I hope that XIV embraces custom UI mods. WoW was awesome because of this. If they wouldn't be so update about programs like windower that improve the game and give no true significant advantage, they will probably be able to take a large chunk out of WoW's monopoly* on the MMO market. FFXI is a great game, but the problems with it deter a lot of new MMO users and force them to WoW. I think that the average player is very accustomed to MMOs now, may find some fresh refuge in XIV, but a clunky UI like in XI will cause most to steer clear.

*I know it's not a true monopoly, but the WoW population is larger than most countries.

I hope FFXIV embraces UI mods, but I do not hope that they do so to the extent that WoW did. Even Blizzard admits that they made a pretty big mistake in allowing the amount of UI freedom they did. I'd be for UI modding, with some pretty stringent limits, but nothing near what WoW has, what with essentially spoiler sites embedded into the quests themselves.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

A-hem:

So what you're saying is that all black people are evil? So racist.

TheStig on
  • TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not finished uploading to YouTube yet, but here is a link to the trailer for everyone to enjoy. FFXIV huzzah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRvU6QuurKM

TheSkyIsBurning on
    edited June 2009

A-hem:

So what you're saying is that all black people are evil? So racist.

Not evil! Just misunderstood! And... kind of dead. Some of my best friends are fomor!

My Fomor hate is at 0, thankyouverymuch.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2009
    I actually really hope it doesn't embrace UI mods. FFXI had an absolutely fantastic interface.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't go that far. FFXI had a workable interface, but it was hardly ideal, and it was ridiculously difficult to keep up with things like buffs and such due to combat spam and chat being stuck into the same window, making you have to pick and choose which pertinent information you wanted to sacrifice in order to not miss that monster starting its stunnable insta-death attack, or something similar.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2009
    They had the option for text hangaround, though, so your party chat and stuff wouldn't get lost in the slew of numbers. I agree the chat system could use some work, but I loved the keyboard-only numpad and CTRL1-9 hotbars.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    The only alteration to the interface I would like is two windows, one for chatting and such and the other for combat spam.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2009
    They had the option for text hangaround, though, so your party chat and stuff wouldn't get lost in the slew of numbers. I agree the chat system could use some work, but I loved the keyboard-only numpad and CTRL1-9 hotbars.

The text hangaround, as far as I can remember, only works for NPC dialogue, not party chat. Party chat scrolls by just as fast as everything else.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2009

The text hangaround, as far as I can remember, only works for NPC dialogue, not party chat. Party chat scrolls by just as fast as everything else.

It defintely worked for party chat and tells. I remember my friend teaching me how to do it one day and me going "oh, holy shit"

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg