As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Installing windows XP

nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
So right now I have a Dell Dimension 9100, and I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on it. I am going to give it to my parents so that I can buy a new computer, but my parents want windows. I have the XP disk that came with my computer, and so I tried booting from it to do a clean install. I got to the part where you can press enter to do a clean install, R to do a repair install, or F3 to quit.

At this point, it stops recognizing my USB mouse and keyboard which worked fine up until this point. These are the mouse and keyboard that originally came with the computer, so there shouldn't be a problem there. I have searched on the internet and found half-intelligible suggestions written in broken english, and have followed most of them up to no avail. Some of these included fiddling around with BIOS settings, and plugging the keyboard into different USB ports.

I figured that these message boards were probably my best bet for finding a solution. Is this problem caused by running ubuntu on the machine? Is there something simple that I am missing? In my searching of the internet I have found that this is a not unheard of problem, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

When I do a hard reset (pull the plug) to get out of the windows installer that I am stuck in and just boot up in ubuntu, everything works fine.

Can anybody please help?

camo_sig2.png
nefffffffffff on

• DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you have one those PS/2 -> USB adapters that come with most keyboards / mice? That might help you. Otherwise I've used USB KBaM's when installing XP so I don't know what the problem is.

DekuStick on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First off, I would take that install disc and use nLite to integrate SP3 into it.

If the problem persists, look for a Legacy USB option in the BIOS.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Do you have one those PS/2 -> USB adapters that come with most keyboards / mice? That might help you. Otherwise I've used USB KBaM's when installing XP so I don't know what the problem is.

Forgot to mention, This computer has no PS/2 ports.
    First off, I would take that install disc and use nLite to integrate SP3 into it.

If the problem persists, look for a Legacy USB option in the BIOS.

I already tried fiddling with the Legacy USB option, but I will look into this nLite. Thanks.

EDIT: ooh... change of plans:
    So right now I have a Dell Dimension 9100, and I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on it.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Windows XP doesn't recognize the partitions in the disc, so you might have to clean the disc first if you wanna install. It happened to me once, I used a Windows Server disc in my computer with Fedora.

Here is some more info:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/247804

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    edited June 2009
    EDIT: ooh... change of plans:
    So right now I have a Dell Dimension 9100, and I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on it.

Sorry, I assume everyone has access to a Windows computer. :P

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited June 2009
    Windows XP doesn't recognize the partitions in the disc, so you might have to clean the disc first if you wanna install. It happened to me once, I used a Windows Server disc in my computer with Fedora.

Here is some more info:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/247804

I'm going to try this out in the morning. I'll let you know if it works.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Try switching the ports the keyboard and mouse are in. I've run into many Dells and HPs that for some reason will only recognize a USB keyboard in one slot. Yeah it makes no sense but my dad's HP and my brother's Dell laptop will only let the keyboard work in the USB slot it was originally plugged into.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    I have searched on the internet and found half-intelligible suggestions written in broken english, and have followed most of them up to no avail. Some of these included fiddling around with BIOS settings, and plugging the keyboard into different USB ports.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Have you looked to see if there is a BIOS update?

I would also try to get access to a Windows machine so you can slipstream SP3 into that install disc (using nLite for simplicity.)

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png