As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAoC] Play (on - again?)

13»

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsplitter wrote: »
    What about a cabalist and a bot?

Ok two friars but that's all you'll get from me.

Necro Damage shield > anything cabbies can throw out.

Well unless I'm missing something, isn't the cabalist damage shield significantly better than the necromancer one? All 3 of the main pet classes get a focus damage shield that's around 34 DPS, and the necro one is only 21 DPS. Granted it's not as focus-ey and frees you up to do more stuff, and necros are gods of PvE with a bot, but for damage shield alone ya gotta go with the cabby. They're definitely no slouches with a bot either. You get the focus damage shield and AoE dots with no falloff in the same line. Pretty awesome for farming.

Of course nothing beats the good ol' deathsight necromancer if you don't have a bot. Gotta love a damage spell that gives you back more power than it costs to cast. Find some undead and go to work.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my, deathsight necros are still OP?

I remember back in the day before necros had the durability hit on casting you could eqiup level 50 gear (con level purple because it was so high to you) and just tear through like red con guys and shit. That was just amazing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just once, before i quit forever, I have to raid the dungeon inside passage of conflict.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How anyone can consider the PvE in DAOC anything but dreadful is beyond me. Almost every dungeon (except Darkness Falls) is completelly uninspired compared to anything in a modern MMO and half the classes are completelly overpowered when it comes to PvE and the others are wretched. Sane levelling shouldn't require you to have access to a buffbot and a pet and/or PBAE class.

This isn't to mention ToA content, which was a dreadful abortion at release and only got slightly better as Mythic kept patching changes in over a year later.

And the requirement of PvE grinding to obtain RvR power was terrible. It is beyond me how anyone can even faintly defend ToA. I mean, not only did you need to do the stupid, camped ToA Artifact encounters since the gear was far and away better than most alternatives, but you actually had to level that equipment. At the start you had to level it off an extreme subset of PvE mobs and most artifacts all had a different subset. On top of this, several of the ML abilities were extremely powerful, so you got to grind up the ML levels as well. And ML encounters too were often buggy as all get out and required f-off huge raids for portions.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I always thought it was reasonable to make the classes that were good at pvp to suck at pve, otherwise everyone would roll necro. Then again (and I still dont know why) I was more than happy grinding stuff by myself as a shadowblade or scout, although I wouldnt have said no to a group.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My scout fucking raped in Abermeni. Oh Old Fronteirs, how I miss thee.

I actually loved staying stealthed on top of the huge rocks at the end of the bridges and just pick off the lonely healer as they tagged behind their group. And then stealthed again as the whole team just fucking scattered looking for you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Oh my, deathsight necros are still OP?

I remember back in the day before necros had the durability hit on casting you could eqiup level 50 gear (con level purple because it was so high to you) and just tear through like red con guys and shit. That was just amazing.

Yeah, unless something changed really recently they're still the same ol' lovable chain pullers. I think mythic never planned on changing it, because DS necros really aren't very good at RvR past the lower battlegrounds, and it's not even the best necromancer farming spec if you have a bot. They were super overpowered back when SI first came out and mythic decided your pet didn't need LOS to hit a target in PvP, which was just hilarious.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I remember that bug. That was great for storming keeps though.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah I remember that bug. That was great for storming keeps though.

It made defense even better. Park your pet right next to the wall inside, hop over as an invincible wraith, and go to town!

Oh, and I'm just about to take the plunge. Client is download, resubscribing imminent. I'm even strongly considering getting a second account for a buffbot because I can afford the extra subscription fee now. Soo if anyone wants to come back, I'll soon be able to help you the fuck out.

Kooleagle and I are going to roll on Hibernia on the Devon cluster, Bedevere to be specific if anyone's interested. I promise fun times shall await!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hib? aww

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeaah, sorry for being a hippy elf. We would do Albion, but our characters there are stuck on the barren Classic servers until the character transfers happen. I love norse mythology and all, but Midgard is kind of depressing and snowy after awhile, though I'm not saying we wont wind up there at some point.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i might make an eldritch or something

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edibleheroediblehero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, right now I'm patching up DAoC from the 14 day free trial. I need to find a game to waste this summer on.

Is there an official PA cluster/realm?

ediblehero on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ediblehero wrote: »
    So, right now I'm patching up DAoC from the 14 day free trial. I need to find a game to waste this summer on.

I don't think so, but I always recommend Hib on Lancelot. Lots of good guilds from back in the day on that server.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ediblehero wrote: »

I don't think so, but I always recommend Hib on Lancelot. Lots of good guilds from back in the day on that server.

Yeah Hibernia on Devon is the unofficially official PA server for now. TheKoolEagle and I just resubscribed today and rolled new characters, and I've got my stable of hib guys on the cluster to help out any newbies that want to give it a shot. Our mana chanter/mana mentalist duo is going fantastically thus far, anyone that wants to tag along is more than welcome.

We're both on Bedevere, but Lancelot is in the same cluster, so shoot us a line whenever. Capnfiatil is my new enchanter, and KoolEagle is Keegle the mentalist. We should be on from noon til 5 central time tomorrow, and I'll probably be on some character or the other all day long. Get in touch with me and I'll hook you up as best I can.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I feel as if there was less enthusiasm for that than there should have been. No fun.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png