As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] PAXers losing weight for PAX

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    It asked if you wanted to lose wait, or if you were going to, for PAX. I'm not.
    dskaitlyn wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm wondering how many of us larger PAXers are planning on losing weight for/before PAX.

If you're not losing weight, you shouldn't have bothered posting that you don't plan on losing weight. This is the thread for people who are losing weight, and or have advice on how people can lose weight.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If you don't want to lose weight, why are you posting in the PAXers losing weight thread?

I can't seem to find where "it" asked this question either. If you're posting here but not planning on losing weight, are you working on an exercise regimen or something...? Orrrr just announcing your age and weight?

---
    [Lack of] progress! Weighed myself in the weight room at work when I came in today. Completely forgot there is a scale in there! No change up or down, which I think is more luck than anything. Must cut back on bacon and candy, NOM. I think I'm going to start taking advantage of that room on my lunch breaks. Plenty of basic equipment and right next to the lunch room, why not!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm doing the Weight Watchers thing. I won't be happy until I've lost between 80-100lbs, and I'm down about 15 since starting in April, so I'm doing fairly well.

mostlyharmless on
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    If you don't want to lose weight, why are you posting in the PAXers losing weight thread?

I can't seem to find where "it" asked this question either. If you're posting here but not planning on losing weight, are you working on an exercise regimen or something...? Orrrr just announcing your age and weight?

---
    [Lack of] progress! Weighed myself in the weight room at work when I came in today. Completely forgot there is a scale in there! No change up or down, which I think is more luck than anything. Must cut back on bacon and candy, NOM. I think I'm going to start taking advantage of that room on my lunch breaks. Plenty of basic equipment and right next to the lunch room, why not!

I wish I worked at a place that had a lunch room much less an exercise room. It's really hard for me to manage lunch time or snacks since I really don't have a place to store food or to eat. All my co-workers go out to fast food places or have fast food delivered, it's such a horrible temptation.

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dskaitlyn wrote: »

---

I wish I worked at a place that had a lunch room much less an exercise room. It's really hard for me to manage lunch time or snacks since I really don't have a place to store food or to eat. All my co-workers go out to fast food places or have fast food delivered, it's such a horrible temptation.

Yeah, I had a similar problem until we moved to an office with a fridge. Solution was to get an insulated bag and some resusable plastic ice blocks to keep things cool until lunch/dinner. If you have a desk drawer to put it in, it will keep food cold enough (read: at a foodsafe temp so it's not growing bugs all day, not freezer cold) for over 12 hours. That sucks that you don't have a place to eat D: . . . where do you work?

I love preparing and bringing food instead of buying fast food or eating at restaurants, because it solves a bunch of problems at once: it's cheaper, usually faster (well, at work anyway: the time you spend preparing it at home is saved when your lunch is already ready at lunch break), and usually healthier, if that's your goal. Since I brought red beans and rice with kielbasa yesterday, I'm wondering if it's mine :-P

Oh, and another trick, in case it helps someone out: eating often instead of in bulk, helps maintain your blood sugar more constant. This, along with drinking lots of water and eating vitamins, is one of the best things to kick off or maintain a change in diet. For instance, I brought quite a bit of red beans and rice yesterday, but it was practically a full day's worth of calories. So, I ate it as four small plates with glasses of water, rather than one heaping helping and a soda. All at once, it would have left me sated, but feeling like a beached whale, and a lot of it would probably be converted to fat. Broken up, I felt like I had a ton of energy all day, and never felt overfull (which led to working out last night).

Hope that wall 'o text helps someone out! I'm down a few pounds since starting, definitely noticeable but nothing earth shattering.

Royale Wih Cheese on
    edited May 2009
    There are actually 3 small kitchens in my building - one per floor - equipped with fridge/freezer, stove, sink, hot water taps and nasty coffee.

Now if only I could remember to leave myself time in the morning to make a lunch. Eating out every day is getting expensive and probably more fattening than I should be eating...

Liger on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    You're telling me. I've been eating out since I started college and I just found out that I've gained 10 lbs in the past year. That may not sound like a lot, but I haven't gained so much as pound in four years. Before that, I ended up gaining 10 lbs after maintaining the same weight for six years. Hmm... maybe there's a pattern I'm not seeing here. Either way, it looks like my metabolism has started to slow down. This is bad, because I'll end up looking like my dad, scrawny with a spare tire. Must... start... exercising...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2009
    I finally found a little Tupperware that has a nice salad container and a very small section for dressing and then a larger section for fresh veggies and a insulator that should keep it cool and fresh so I may be set for my lunches now!

I work for Verizon Wireless in a little booth that is inside BJ's. Only like four of us work there (two people per shift) and I barely have room to store a purse much less anything that needs to be refrigerated.

I've lost 30 pounds so far! (on average that's 10 pounds a month, so I expect that to slow down soon) Yaaaaaaay!! And I can now do half an hour on a stationary bike going 12 mph. So that's cool too.

I'm really glad you guys have been hear to talk to, you're all a great group of people.

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • AstayonixAstayonix
    is freaking out that she won't make her goal before PAX :(

Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    is freaking out that she won't make her goal before PAX :(

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
    edited May 2009
    Astayonix wrote: »
    /me is freaking out that she won't make her goal before PAX :(

We will love you anyway!!

dskaitlyn on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

So totally, DON'T freak out. A goal by a specific time, while tempting, is pretty hardcore and doesn't give you any breathing room. Set your goal at a target body fat % or weight and go for it ... for life. You didn't gain the weight in a few months so don't expect to drop it that fast either. If you lose 1 pound by PAX you're a winner. Hell if you lose 0 pounds by PAX but you are more aware of your diet (meaning the food you eat not the crash thing that is bad) then you are on your way!

sum10fishy on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »

So totally, DON'T freak out. A goal by a specific time, while tempting, is pretty hardcore and doesn't give you any breathing room. Set your goal at a target body fat % or weight and go for it ... for life. You didn't gain the weight in a few months so don't expect to drop it that fast either. If you lose 1 pound by PAX you're a winner. Hell if you lose 0 pounds by PAX but you are more aware of your diet (meaning the food you eat not the crash thing that is bad) then you are on your way!

Seconded. The fact you're trying at all puts you loads ahead of sitting on the couch ignoring your fitness. Just as long as you keep moving toward that goal, you're doing fine. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • AyonvoxAyonvox Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread is for lack of a better term inspiring. I like most gamers need to lose some weight, especially before PAX >.<

Its just nice to see encouragement and be able to talk about it without the ever hovering hammer of judgement.

Ayonvox on
    edited May 2009
    Ayonvox wrote: »
    Its just nice to see encouragement and be able to talk about it without the ever hovering hammer of judgement.

Behold Judgement...
    2854563180101416252S425x425Q85.jpg

sum10fishy on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hovering penis of judgement?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    Hovering penis of judgement?

The hammer is my penis.

sum10fishy on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    Ayonvox wrote: »

Behold Judgement...
    2854563180101416252S425x425Q85.jpg

No inspiration there. He doesn't go to the gym, he's just naturally like that.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    For those of us with Wii's!!

My sister got a game called Gold's Gym Cardio Workout. It's a boxing workout type Wii game. You don't need the balance board but it can use it for some things. At first I was like, "yeah, this will be greeeeat..." But I watched her do it and was impressed. So we went and bought it on sale for $20 at Best Buy.

This thing kicked my ass. It's really very fun and you don't feel like you're working that hard but 45 minutes yesterday has me hurting today.

Anyway it looks like a good cheap alternative to a Wii fit and a good gamer exercise. Assuming you are not a G.A.E.

P.S. down nearly 10 lbs. 15 to go.

sum10fishy on
    edited June 2009
    So I'm really, really trying to cut back on buying my lunch every day. It is extremely easy to with a Subway in walking distance and Taco del Mar, sushi, Starbucks and a grinder/gelato shop all within driving distance. I'm discovering that Costco and my George Foreman grill are my two best friends. Getting those huge bags of frozen chicken breasts and grilling one each morning is sooo great. I change it up with different spices, making it into a sandwich, salad, eating it plain, whatever. But $10 for half a dozen or more chicken breasts is way healthier and WAY cheaper than $5-$10 for eating out every day. Grilled veggies are awesome too.

Plus, this is my fave time of year for fruits. Has anyone else bought a cantaloupe lately? They are amazing.

Liger on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Plus, this is my fave time of year for fruits. Has anyone else bought a cantaloupe lately? They are amazing.
    Are the cantalöupë finally in season? o.o *squeals*

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Mmmmmm, fresh cantaloupes and kiwis. Yummy!

Royale Wih Cheese on
    edited June 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Mmmmmm, fresh cantaloupes and kiwis. Yummy!

I have a Mulberry Tree in my yard and made a lime, mint, mulberry shortcake last night that would make you slap yo momma. It was good.

sum10fishy on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One thing some people might not realize is that, for ATT UVerse at least, if you go to the On Demand Channels there are free workout videos that you can watch and move along to.

Be warned that even for physically fit people the Jillian Michaels Videos are pretty freaking hard.

MaoChan on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    One thing some people might not realize is that, for ATT UVerse at least, if you go to the On Demand Channels there are free workout videos that you can watch and move along to.

Be warned that even for physically fit people the Jillian Michaels Videos are pretty freaking hard.

Jillian Michaels is my favorite because I'm partially scared of her. Like she will for reals jump out of the tv and kick your ass if you don't do what she says.

This thread is great encouragement. I'd love to lose weight for PAX but moreso increase stamina - because walking/running around practically 24/7 is no joke even if you're in shape, but super hard when you're not.

I'm trying to think of it like marathon training. =P

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't weighed myself in about a week er so, but I think it's safe to say my trend hasn't changed, which would be that I haven't really lost weight. So far I've kept the extra three pounds I gained since I started keeping track.

I don't have an extraordinary amount to lose, which I think is part of the problem. I've been eating well and choosing healthy alternatives - those are old habits. I haven't been working out much, though, because of finals. But I have been making time again for my favourite skill, cooking.

I feel like whatever I do, it's never enough. And besides a prescribed meal plan, I've tried everything. I started this year thinking I might finally be comfortable enough to wear a bikini... While I still think I look pretty good, I'm starting to lose hope.

I have about 1.5 months before my Asia trip. I'm thinking about seeing a nutritionist or workout coach. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

Twinkie on
    edited June 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »
    I haven't weighed myself in about a week er so, but I think it's safe to say my trend hasn't changed, which would be that I haven't really lost weight. So far I've kept the extra three pounds I gained since I started keeping track.

I don't have an extraordinary amount to lose, which I think is part of the problem. I've been eating well and choosing healthy alternatives - those are old habits. I haven't been working out much, though, because of finals. But I have been making time again for my favourite skill, cooking.

I feel like whatever I do, it's never enough. And besides a prescribed meal plan, I've tried everything. I started this year thinking I might finally be comfortable enough to wear a bikini... While I still think I look pretty good, I'm starting to lose hope.

I have about 1.5 months before my Asia trip. I'm thinking about seeing a nutritionist or workout coach. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

What is your goal? Is it to lose 5lbs? Or look good in a bikini? (which...you know you're one of the "cute skinny girls" in the group, right?) I'd recommend talking to a personal trainer. Maybe it's not what you're eating or how much, but lack of weight training to tone and sculpt muscle. I found stumptuous.com very useful!

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
    edited June 2009
    What is your goal? Is it to lose 5lbs? Or look good in a bikini? (which...you know you're one of the "cute skinny girls" in the group, right?) I'd recommend talking to a personal trainer. Maybe it's not what you're eating or how much, but lack of weight training to tone and sculpt muscle. I found stumptuous.com very useful!

Well, ideally, I'd like to lose somewhere betwixt 10 and 15 pounds. Are you saying that bikinis make one a "cute skinning girl?" I'm lukewarm on them as it is--based purely on stylistic preference--and thus have never worn one, but I'd like to be able to try one on and say, "Yeah, this is as good as I could look in this."

I do hear you on the weight training... I've always focused more on cardio . That site gives pretty comprehensive info, too. Perhaps simple consultation wouldn't hurt. Thanks. :)

Twinkie on
    edited June 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »

Well, ideally, I'd like to lose somewhere betwixt 10 and 15 pounds. Are you saying that bikinis make one a "cute skinning girl?" I'm lukewarm on them as it is--based purely on stylistic preference--and thus have never worn one, but I'd like to be able to try one on and say, "Yeah, this is as good as I could look in this."

I do hear you on the weight training... I've always focused more on cardio . That site gives pretty comprehensive info, too. Perhaps simple consultation wouldn't hurt. Thanks. :)

Perhaps I haven't seen you in a while, but 15lbs sounds like a LOT on you. Basically, I think you're already perfectly ready to wear a bikini (I'm meh on them myself) if that's your goal. But it's not at all about what *I* think, right? =D

In other news, shorts I bought last summer are loose this year. Huzzah for progress!

KaitouAyashi on
    edited June 2009
    Hahaha, I had no idea this was your nick, Tajah! Great job on the progress, I know you've been working hard. :)

Yeah, I do agree 15 pounds is significant; for me, smaller amounts and fluctuations are rather apparent and affective. I don't wanna go crazy... I would miss my tummy and other curves.

I do think the toning is a key point that you brought up, so I've decided I'm going to try paying better attention to meal frequency (I don't eat as often as I should) and focus on conditioning and light weights. Usually weight loss isn't a goal-oriented thing for me... I realized that when you asked me what mine was. I think I understand now that it's important to recognize what you want, so you stay cognizant of what you're doing.

Oh, and I can get any needed cardio from all the weekend dancin' I'll be doing once this quarter's done. Woohoo! :D

Twinkie on
  • SecComSecCom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess I'll quickly update where I'm at right now, I haven't lost any weight yet, and its probably been almost 2 months of mostly constant work-outs (with the exception of a cold I had last week). However, I've gained a ton in muscle mass and I can easily lift much more than I could last year. So my on-going theory is that the muscle has been gaining too quickly for it to look like I'm losing any weight yet. That being said, I need to buckle down and start focusing on diet and cardio exercise, since they are also pretty important. I kind of hate running when I'm terrible at it, like right now, but *eventually* you get good at it with practice, so I'll try getting back out there.

Warm weather helps, I didn't really like running in 40 degrees or below, and that seems like it was only a month ago...

SecCom on
    Lead Editor of http://fullnovazero.com We like to write about video games.
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weight should not be the only measurement you take as it is not always the most indicative. My trainer always does several different measurements of fitness. Main ones being weight, some magic body fat measurement thing his scales do using metal pads on your feet, then pinch tests at chest, waist and thighs. For cardio fitness level he does a beep test (also known as bleep test or multi-stage fitness test) for us that takes less than 10 minutes but pretty much pushes you to breaking and measures your maximum oxygen uptake (how well your body absorbs oxygen and distributes it). Last time I got 7.5 which is enough to qualify for Australian Army. Australian Police forces are around 10.0. Canadian Military only requires level 6.0.

CuZZa on
    edited June 2009
    If you can find it, use a hydrostatic body fat measurement for some brutally honest testing. Sometimes hospitals with those outreach programs have them pretty cheap. There is absolutely no way to hide from that measurement in the tank or to second guess the results.

nemaihne on
    edited June 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    If you can find it, use a hydrostatic body fat measurement for some brutally honest testing. Sometimes hospitals with those outreach programs have them pretty cheap. There is absolutely no way to hide from that measurement in the tank or to second guess the results.

Call gyms and ask if they offer it. I know 24hr Fitness has a group that comes around every 6 months or so to all of their locations. They just had one in May. I missed it *sadface*. But even by my trainer's measurements I'd dropped 3-4% of body fat in just a few weeks. And that was me being sort of a slacker about my workout frequency!

Cuzza: Absolutely. My personal trainer really helped me get out of the "scale = success" mindset by using a variety of measurements and asking me how my training was going. The numbers on the scale are stubbornly slow, but as I mentioned my clothes from last summer are loose, I have more stamina, and am certainly more toned than I was a year ago.

Personally I love floor exercises with weights and body weight as resistance vs traditional weightlifting, and my body loves the cardio. Problem is I am wicked bored with the elliptical machine and it used to be my favorite. So I try to change it up, going from treadmill to total body cross ramp and creating wicked music mixes to keep me going.

Twinkie : Yarp! It's me! I totally forgot about this nickname. Hee.

KaitouAyashi on
    edited June 2009
    Hey, how come no one's posting here at all this week? Is everyone so busy in their workouts that no one's updating?
    I haven't really updated since I'm shy about these things (and just about everything else, FTR), but I'm still coming along pretty well. I've been working out doing a lot of cardio and a little strength and while I have lost just a few pounds I've started getting a decent amount of muscle, which is what I was going for. I discovered last week you have muscles along the front of the shin bone which is really disconcerting, particularly when I kneel down because there's this padding layer along the top of the shin bone. Who knew?
    I'm really worried I'm going to backslide because I'm traveling the last half of June and will be away from the gym and the healthy routines. Anyone else worried about packing it on while on vacation?

nemaihne on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    I'm really worried I'm going to backslide because I'm traveling the last half of June and will be away from the gym and the healthy routines. Anyone else worried about packing it on while on vacation?

Oh yes. Four words. Disneyland and Comic-Con.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited June 2009
    Went to the gym for a class today and while I didn't like it that much, I definitely worked up quite a sweat. Even swam some laps afterward!

Yay for progress!

KaitouAyashi on
  • FokkarFokkar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow... I spent the last little while reading most of this thread and I just want to say kudos to everyone on here... I knew the PAX community was awesome, but this is even awesomer.
    I'm part of the "stupidly fast metabolism" group... so my goal this summer is to gain some more muscle mass (my cardio level is actually really decent because I play 2.5 hours of ultimate three nights a week) and eat healthier/not eat junk.

If people are looking to do some cardio while at PAX, my friends and I will be running a game of Sardines (it's like reverse hide and go seek) on Friday and Saturday night. We did it on a whim last year on the Saturday night, and it was blast! It's a great way to mingle with other PAXers (we randomly went up to people and invited them to play), and who doesn't like running around the convention centre trying to find one person, then hiding with them (that's basically how you play)?
    We'll probably start a thread for it (if one hasn't been started already) but this thread seemed like a good place to flog it :).
    Thoughts?

And again, kudos to everyone... I hope everything's going wonderful!

Fokkar on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got the flu and lost 4lbs... maybe that counts for something? I dunno though, it'll all prolly come back now that I'm feeling normal again :P

Other than being out of it for 2 weeks, the working out is going well... I started the Couch --> 5k program, and Starting Strength from the recommendations of nearly everyone in the H&A fitness thread. I still feel wimpy and out of shape, but it's been a lot of fun, so it's all good :P

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wanted to post this weeks ago, but its taken that long to get activated!

anyways, i also jumped on this wagon, and started dieting 2 weeks ago. Ive lost 12lbs and 4 inches so far.

My goal is to lose 10 inches at least by pax.

1 part of my routine is the wii fit, the rest is diet and other exercise

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
    edited June 2009
    Zionad wrote: »
    I wanted to post this weeks ago, but its taken that long to get activated!

anyways, i also jumped on this wagon, and started dieting 2 weeks ago. Ive lost 12lbs and 4 inches so far.

My goal is to lose 10 inches at least by pax.

1 part of my routine is the wii fit, the rest is diet and other exercise

What scary thing are you doing to lose 12lbs in TWO WEEKS? Are you going it alone or with a doctor and trainer?

KaitouAyashi on
This discussion has been closed.