As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 06-03-09 "Crime is Doomed"

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Graphic Violence
Grant Morrison. Frank Quitely. Batman and Robin.

Pretty sure this is gonna be the new All-Star Superman. Goddamn.

(More to come after my nerd boner goes away)

Lucascraft on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Batman & Robin #1 was good. Not All-Star Superman good, but good nonetheless. There's no need to have read BFTC, it was pointless. We were all gipped.

Scans:
    They have a flying batmobile now thanks to Damien, and Dick is using Wayne Tower as his new base, with the bottom being the batcave:

br1a.jpg

br1b.jpg

br1c.jpg
    Nice splash.

And here's a teaser for future issues, like Booster Gold and JSA have done:
    br1d.jpg

I have 2 moment of the weaks so far, and one really shocked me:

1) Ultimatum #4 was pure suck. It's 90's shit to a "T". I only skimmed through it in store but here's what I saw:
    Dormammu kills Strange (pops his head like a tick), he runs away from Sue and Ben, Wolverine fights Hulk, Wolverine and Kitty cry over Spidey being dead (don't know), Warren crashes into Magnetos asteroid base, Sabertooth kills him and eats his wings, Hawkeye shoots Sabertooth in the eye with his patoo patoo crossbow gun, Valkyrie cuts off Magneto's right arm, the Ultimates show up to fight, and Magneto says he will destroy the world

SHIT SHIT SHIT

The art is too cross hatched and blood flows like water. Again, I say it is shit.

2) Ultimate Spider-Man #133 is a waste, I'm sad to say. It is a silent issue, but a $3.99 silent issue. I like Bendis on Spider-Man, I do, but this you can seriously read in a minute, it's just not worth the price. There is an interview with Bendis in the back, but it's a reflection of the series until now.

Also
    Spidey is apparently dead and you don't see him in the issue at all, it's a Hulk/Spider-Girl issue

TexiKen on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    That was a damn good silent issue though

What's the deal with the Ultimate relaunch (when does it start)

Me Too! on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Morrison really nailed the small things. That's why I think its every bit as good as AS Superman.

I love how Damien calls Alfred "Pennysworth." It speaks volumes about the character with a simple name. Everyone else calls him Alfred because he is their friend and equal. Damien calls him Pennysworth because to him he's just the butler and a servant.

Also, I loved the line where
    Dick threatens to replace Damien as Robin with Tim.

For anyone who has played Bioshock, the last few pages of the issue really reminded me of the splicers from that game. Just the way they looked, and the pig face guy really gave me a strong Bioshock vibe.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    Damien is polite to Alfred though. He's gone past just being a brat to being someone who is seemingly a prodigy and has that smugness about him because he actually has "mad skillz"

One thing with Quitley's art that I did not like was he drew Alfred to be chunkier than he really is, not the ex-MI-5 agent who kicks ass over in Outsiders. Not Mr. Belvedere fat at least.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Ultimate relaunch is in August with Ultimate Comics: Avengers and UC: Spider-man. Who knows when New Ultimates will come out or even the still unknown 4th ongoing book.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ugh, Batman and Robin came out today.

I really wish I didn't have to stop collecting last week. Couldn't afford it anymore. Closed out my box and everything.

Ah well.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The Ultimate relaunch is in August with Ultimate Comics: Avengers and UC: Spider-man. Who knows when New Ultimates will come out or even the still unknown 4th ongoing book.

Next month is the Requiem books then?

Me Too! on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Best part of B&R is the panels they swiped from ASB&R

deadonthestreet on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just.....wow at those Ultimatum spoilers.

I'm curious though, is this all Loeb's doing, or did someone higher up go to him and go "here's the list of people that need to be killed."

And while I don't want Spidey gone, I'm hoping the Requiem deals with superheroes and regular folks mourning over his death and finding just how much of a kick ass person Peter was/is.

noir_blood on
    edited June 2009
    Isn't Loeb in charge of the Ultimate line right now

Me Too! on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah the Ultimatum Dormammu vs Strange, while I haven't been reading Ultimatum, is something I wanted to see for a long time so it gives me an excuse to pick that issue up.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    That new villain in Batman is pretty fucked up, poor guy is gonna be ...I dunno then somehow be coerced to do it to his hot daughter? Its always a tragedy when its the hot daughter.

DarkWarrior on
    edited June 2009
    But its ok if its an ugly daughter, right?

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    Welll of course. Whats the loss?

DarkWarrior on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DraXXXen wrote: »
    Yeah the Ultimatum Dormammu vs Strange, while I haven't been reading Ultimatum, is something I wanted to see for a long time so it gives me an excuse to pick that issue up.
    No it doesn't.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So much for not letting Loeb fuck up Ultimate Spider-Man eh?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anything that happened to Spider-Man was likely the result of editorial mandate. You can still probably blame Loeb for a few of the deaths, however, and certainly for the manner in which those deaths were carried out.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I'm OK with Spidey

I trust Bendis to take the lump of shit he got handed and dig something awesome out of it

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    This is also in all Marvel titles for the month it seems:

obnoxious.jpg

We were told by Marvel to move past the marriage, yet they are the ones who continue to piss on it with shit like this (it's obviously JJ Jameson and May Parker, but way to be pricks about it).

Anyways, Captain Britain and MI-13 Annual #1 was good. Two separate stories, one from Brian the other from Meggan
    Meggan basically goes through hell trying to figure out why she's there, and after going through some time as a monster due to the 5 devils being dicks to her, she permanently shape shifts as Meggan thanks to Pluto and brings a taste of happiness to hell, and leaves hell only to walk into:

cb1a.jpg

cb1b.jpg

And Brian is back on earth playing cricket (maybe if I knew what the hell they were doing I would get it, but the Brian bits thinking about Meggan were nice:

cb1c.jpg

Superman, World of New Krypton #4 was good, but nothing major. The cover is misleading.

And War of Kings #4 was again good and solid, as shit goes down like a mofo, yo:
    The Raptors ally themselves with Vulcan:
    wok4a.jpg

Lilandra returns to the throne:
    wok4b.jpg

And then the Raptors shoot her with a patoo patoo laser gun, and Gladiator never got a chance to do her:
    wok4c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has anyone tried calling that number yet?

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    Quick google search says that's the find-a-shop comic book store locator.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Superman, World of New Krypton #4 was good, but nothing major. The cover is misleading.

Yeah, I hate it when they do shit like that on the cover. Its happened recently on a couple other books, but I can't recall which ones right now.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    And contender for "most forced/stupid plot of the week", we have Mighty Avengers #25. I just want to point out Stephen Segovia has some good art in this, he was an apprentice or uses Leinil Yu as a template and did the Wolverine: Manifest Destiny mini, but he's coming into his own. Some unnecessary T&A, but overall still good:
    So the MA only have one or two dimensions to sue because the Pym Pocket is floating out in nowhere space, and in two days will be completely severed from Earth. Pym calls up Reed to ask for something Bill Foster co-created with Pym, some dimension wavelength thing. Instead of flat out telling Reed he needs the device or they're going to lose all the work in his Pym pocket, he kind of demands it. Richards says no, because it was left to Ben in his will and apparently Slott is going to make him a dick just to start a fight:

ma25a.jpg

ma25b.jpg

Really, Slott, that's what you think he would say? Are we 15?

ma25c.jpg

Note that the MA team will not die, they can still get to Earth before time runs out, but Pym is acting like a complete tool here.

So Pym creates new image inducers to get the device from the Baxter Building, Cho is going to create a love triangle with Cassie and Vision, and USAgent and Quicksilver are on a mission for the Global Reaction Agency but are in China instead of Tibet thanks to the dimension doors disappearing. And Hercules starts a fight with the Thing in a Gym disguised as Red Hulk.

Half the issue is good, the other really bad.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exiles is way good. Probably my favorite ongoing right now.

It's weird how I enjoy World of New Krypton and War of Kings, but at the same they feel more like big events for other, more fleshed out stories to ride from. Particularly WoNK, which really just feels like a setup for Robinson's Superman (with Action Comics being so-so title that isn't super captivating at the moment).

Batman and Robin was awesome, but I have even higher hopes/expectations for Detective Comics.

Overall MotW: Seaguy: Slaves of Mickey Eye #3. I can't wait for Seaguy Eternal.

HadjiQuest on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After reading Ultimatum, looks like my theory of how it ends may come to fruition:
    with Nick Fury either getting the killshot on Mags or spilling the beans about the origin of mutants to him and driving him catatonic.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2009
    Its hard to take Pym seriously about saving the world when the Chaos God is never built up to be any kind of threat, they just say he is a lot.

DarkWarrior on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is also in all Marvel titles for the month it seems:

obnoxious.jpg

We were told by Marvel to move past the marriage, yet they are the ones who continue to piss on it with shit like this (it's obviously JJ Jameson and May Parker, but way to be pricks about it).

I don't know, we still haven't seen what happened to break up MJ and Peter, so I wouldn't put it past Marvel to either swervfe us, or do a split story kinda thing.

Went to pick up comics and man, Batman and Robin was honestly pure gold. I'm not much of a fan of the characters or writer, but there was just the right mix of old school fun and modern storytelling.

My moment of weak was Buffy. It's like they wanted to tell the most cliche emo story possible.

noir_blood on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Which was?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seaguy gets the girl. Rock on Seaguy

Batman and Robin was superb

Algertman on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let's all stop complaining about Ultimatum and marriage fake-outs and bask in the glow of Batman and Robin

Furu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did it fix the problem that Damien is an unlikeable little prick?

Fencingsax on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always liked him. or at least I liked him in the Batman and Son arc, the only thing I've read with him in it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    really really pissed that Salvador Espin is off Exiles now

his art was so gooooood

Sars_Boy on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yes, actually. He is still a prick, but he is much.... tamer. There are things like how he says "thank you" to Alfred that show that he is sort of peeling off the layers of douchiness.

I personally loved him since his inception.

Tairu on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yea, he's a likeable little prick now. Like others said, theres a few subtle differences that show you he's matured (and is thus a little less of a dick to everyone).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    After reading Ultimatum, looks like my theory of how it ends may come to fruition:
    with Nick Fury either getting the killshot on Mags or spilling the beans about the origin of mutants to him and driving him catatonic.

Stop buying it people, you're only encouraging him.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    durrhurr i complain about ultimatum when it comes out but i buy every issue so that marvel keeps on putting loeb on hi profile projekts!

KyleWPeterson on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Batman and Robin was a good read but I am not a big fan of Quitely's art. Moment of the Week goes towards Black Panther managing to hit the side of a building many times. Gogo Exiles.

kfrooster on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    really really pissed that Salvador Espin is off Exiles now

his art was so gooooood

Wasn't he only on for 3 issues? Or did he leave after 2? Either way, that's a really really short run.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    durrhurr i complain about ultimatum when it comes out but i buy every issue so that marvel keeps on putting loeb on hi profile projekts!

I complain based on the scans and recaps and don't buy any of it. It works for me.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.