As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• Options
    DeathofaLionDeathofaLion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I like how they put the start and select buttons where the second analogue stick should have been.

Guess that leaves them something to add for the PSP2. Just like how LittleBigPlanet isn't going to add water until (more than likely) the 2nd one.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    People can find a PSP Stay Put for about 150 Euros/Americans right now, so that extra hundo might be a real dealbreaker for many, lack of fiddly UMDs or not.

Also, I remain adamant on its ugliness compared to the original.

Definitely. I think its a combination of the small screen and the massive bevel around it that make it look bad. The original PSP still looks damn sexy and a big part of that appeal is the huge (for a handheld) flat screen. The new screen just doesn't look as ... cinematic?

And I still can't fathom how it is more expensive. It has less features and plays less games than the PSP-3000 but costs more? It should be the budget PSP!

Cullen on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm afraid that not sucking at gimp and picking out humorous fonts are things I'll just have to accept I'm no good at. Any advice on the latter since the former is beyond repair?

miyamoto_psp_go-shop2.jpg

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How about...

pspnotprintmoney.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It should be the budget PSP when it's 50% lighter, 40% brighter, with 16GB internal storage?

When it comes to electronics, lighter doesn't mean less expensive. You have to make everything fit and have it work the same way. Also, they spent a lot of money on redesigning the damn thing, too. Not to mention it probably has somewhat of an enhanced battery just to put up with the extra 40% brightness.

Budget psp my ass.

I do see the thing as a rip off though. But only because of the lack of games.

Sony said they'd release a peripheral to copy your UMD's to it though.

Anyway, if people get CFW on it, i'll probably get it. hehe.

I want FFVIII on the PS Store.

EDIT: The thing also slides up and down. That's a pretty big difference from the original. So again, lol at budget psp.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How about...

pspnotprintmoney.jpg

I honestly think the whole thing would be better without the "BUT"

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cullen wrote: »
    Kastanj wrote: »
    People can find a PSP Stay Put for about 150 Euros/Americans right now, so that extra hundo might be a real dealbreaker for many, lack of fiddly UMDs or not.

Also, I remain adamant on its ugliness compared to the original.

Definitely. I think its a combination of the small screen and the massive bevel around it that make it look bad. The original PSP still looks damn sexy and a big part of that appeal is the huge (for a handheld) flat screen. The new screen just doesn't look as ... cinematic?

And I still can't fathom how it is more expensive. It has less features and plays less games than the PSP-3000 but costs more? It should be the budget PSP!

I think the white looks worlds better than the black.

psp-go-with-display.jpg
    white-psp-go-open1.jpg

I want to get my hands on one just to check it out, but all of the hands-on impressions I've heard say that it's actually quite comfortable, and the analog nub actually has some more spring to it so it's easier to use. From a build quality standpoint, I don't know how I feel about the sliding screen, though.

And to be fair to the price, it's only slightly more expensive than a PSP-3000 with the price of a 16GB memory stick tacked on. It's still sticker-shock madness, though, and it's obvious Sony wants to squeeze bucks out of people for the slick-and-cool factor of it all.

I believe you mean, "People around the Internet are hoping they release a peripheral to copy your UMDs to it." And I think we all know this isn't going to happen.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit the white PSP looks sick.

.....I need to request more hours at work.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It should be the budget PSP when it's 50% lighter, 40% brighter, with 16GB internal storage?

When it comes to electronics, lighter doesn't mean less expensive. You have to make everything fit and have it work the same way. Also, they spent a lot of money on redesigning the damn thing, too. Not to mention it probably has somewhat of an enhanced battery just to put up with the extra 40% brightness.

Budget psp my ass.

I do see the thing as a rip off though. But only because of the lack of games.

Anyway, if people get CFW on it, i'll probably get it. hehe.

I want FFVIII on the PS Store.

EDIT: The thing also slides up and down. That's a pretty big difference from the original. So again, lol at budget psp.

I hadn't heard about the peripheral to copy umds, that is good news. One of my major concerns was not being able to use my 20 odd UMDs I currently have. Now if the analogue feels positioned right I may be interested at some point.

I also agree about FFVIII as it is the only one I haven't played. Would be instant purchase.

corin7 on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The peripheral to copy your UMDs will only cost another $100.

And will resort in rampant piracy, except this time it'll be piracy of Sony products, instead of old Nintendo products.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The only one you haven't played?

My fuck, you're in for a ride.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How does Sony lose money on each ps3 sold? More like, they lose money on each PS3 MADE.

I had no idea that Sony had to pay you to take a ps3 home.

I don't know if I understand the question or the significance of the difference between those two sentences.

For sake of argument we'll say the PS3 costs $410 to make and they sell it for $400. Naturally that means that making and selling one PS3 nets them -$10. This is a loss leader strategy, Microsoft did it with the XBox initially as well. You make your money on the games, supposedly.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    The periphreal to copy your UMDs will only cost another $100.

And will resort in rampant piracy, except this time it'll be piracy of Sony products, instead of old Nintendo products.

Yeah, all jokes aside, it'll be $40 tops (and I mean, tops. I'm guessing either $20 or $30) and piracy only hurts Sony, not the consumer. Well, it hurts them a lot more.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How about...

pspnotprintmoney.jpg

I honestly think the whole thing would be better without the "BUT"

I absolutely second this. No need for the BUT.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Right, what is to stop people from renting PSP games and transferring them over?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I don't know if I understand the question or the significance of the difference between those two sentences.

For sake of argument we'll say the PS3 costs $410 to make and they sell it for $400. Naturally that means that making and selling one PS3 nets them -$10. This is a loss leader strategy, Microsoft did it with the XBox initially as well. You make your money on the games, supposedly."

I guess there's two ways to look at it. I mean, you could say that they don't lose money when they sell it, because they're actually recieving money, whether or not its less than they paid to make the console.

I say they lose money by making it, because making it is what costs more than what they get when they sell it.

Whatever, hardly important.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Right, what is to stop people from renting PSP games and transferring them over?

Well, when you buy a PS1/PSP game off the playstation store, cant you just copy the game to your PC via memory stick, bring a friend's psp, and then copy the game onto their psp as well?

If you can do that, then this hypothetical scenario wouldn't be a first for sony.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm a bit confused (I have not, nor will not, read every page of this thread) - is there anything the "Go" can do that a 2000/3000 can't do? (besides the aesthetic, obviously).

Also, whoever coined "PSP Stay Put" in reference to the 3000 had me laugh at work. I never do this.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Answered that about 146 pages ago. Go back and reread up to here.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Well, when you buy a PS1/PSP game off the playstation store, cant you just copy the game to your PC via memory stick, bring a friend's psp, and then copy the game onto their psp as well?

If you can do that, then this hypothetical scenario wouldn't be a first for sony.

I don't know but I don't think so. It's probably signed to the console that downloads it just like Virtual Console games on the Wii.

UMDs on the other hand are designed to be traded around among friends/resold, because it's just a single disc that can't be copied.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm a bit confused (I have not, nor will not, read every page of this thread) - is there anything the "Go" can do that a 2000/3000 can't do? (besides the aesthetic, obviously).

Also, whoever coined "PSP Stay Put" in reference to the 3000 had me laugh at work. I never do this.

What the hell does PSP Stay Put even mean? I might just be slow.

PSP Go has a redesign, it slides, it's 40% brighter, costs $250, has 16GB internal storage, lacks a UMD drive (supposedly you'll be able to copy your umd games to it in the future) and yeah.

The buttons also apparently feel more "solid" like the ps3 controller.

It also looks sexier in white, weighs 50% less, and it's smaller. And has handgrips on the bottom.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

At this point it is pretty obvious Sony has been completely unable to stop piracy on the PSP. It kind of feels like they are just throwing the towel and making it is as easy as possible for those of us that do want to buy our games. Lets be honest if you are dead set on stealing your games you won't even bother to buy the peripheral or rent the games you will just download them for free.

corin7 on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't Sony doing new PSP bundles, which means no price drop?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I don't know but I don't think so. It's probably signed to the console that downloads it just like Virtual Console games on the Wii.

UMDs on the other hand are designed to be traded around among friends/resold, because it's just a single disc that can't be copied.

Well, they have to find a way to do it. I mean they already said a peripheral would be released. Can't remember exactly where. One of you can probably find where. That, and no one would buy the PSP Go if they were limited to..let's see...0 games unless they found internet access.

Patapon 2 is downloadable and sold at stores, but it's still just a code that lets you download it off the ps store.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and to answer a question earlier:

http://gizmodo.com/5278909/sony-to-offer-new-digital-copies-of-your-old-umd-games

You can redownload your UMD games, possibly free

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I never saw or heard of this UMD copying peripheral. A lot people have said they should have one and need to have one, but I still haven't seen an announcement for it. So I guess I don't believe it until I see a reputable link.

EDIT: That sounds more reasonable, a download-based program. Probably something like entering in your serial number and then they remove it from a master list of downloadable UMDs. So the rental places will have to provide Sony the serials if they don't want random people getting them for free.

What a clusterfuck of a thing to do halfway through a console.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

At this point it is pretty obvious Sony has been completely unable to stop piracy on the PSP. It kind of feels like they are just throwing the towel and making it is as easy as possible for those of us that do want to buy our games. Lets be honest if you are dead set on stealing your games you won't even bother to buy the peripheral or rent the games you will just download them for free.

Yeah, piracy on the psp is already rampant. To be honest, i'm a little glad it is. Not for the money being lost, but so that Sony can see that they better get their shit in gear or it's going to keep happening.

If FFVII was on the psp about 2-3 years ago (and other classics that are still missing) piracy wouldn't be as bad. Same for the PSP themes that CFW had first. Sony saw it, and then they got their shit in gear and put that on OFW. It's teaching Sony a huge lesson.

Of course, there will always be pirates. But you can significantly reduce them by not sitting on your ass like Sony had been doing to the PSP for a long time.

Do you really think FFVII would be on the ps store if people weren't putting CFW on their psp's before?

They're trying to turn the tide. At least a little.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Oh, and to answer a question earlier:

http://gizmodo.com/5278909/sony-to-offer-new-digital-copies-of-your-old-umd-games

You can redownload your UMD games, possibly free

Oh shit, this is actual and not just conjecture?

Double hmm.
    We're in the midst of putting together a good will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here. We've modeled that. So we're looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward."

This ... changes things significantly for me. If I can swap off my UMDs for digital copies fairly cheaply, it drastically increases the likelihood I'll buy one.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2009

PSP Go has a redesign, it slides, it's 40% brighter, costs $250, has 16GB internal storage, lacks a UMD drive (supposedly you'll be able to copy your umd games to it in the future) and yeah.

It also looks sexier in white, weighs 50% less, and it's smaller. And has handgrips on the bottom.

I guess my real question is: These theoretically downloadable games that the Go will have to use (by merit of no drive and on-board storage), can I download them to my 2000/3000 provided I have enough storage on my memory stick?

SniperLogic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I guess my real question is: These theoretically downloadable games that the Go will have to use (by merit of no drive and on-board storage), can I download them to my 2000/3000 provided I have enough storage on my memory stick?

Yes. You can do this right now, as a matter of fact. Sadly, Sony's done a miserable job of broadcasting it, but right this very moment you can fire up a PSP, access the PlayStation Network and download a bunch of PS1 and PSP games. You can do this with any PSP, so long as you have a memory stick.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gotcha, thanks. You two are ducky.

SniperLogic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The first PSP should have been this way. It's stupid that Sony has realized their mistake by using UMD much too late into the PSP's life.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, so, let's say they do it with "enter serial code of your game and you can redownload as much as you want".

Couldn't people go rent PSP games and then just unlock them for themselves?
    I mean, I'm pretty sure many smaller rental places won't have a clue about this.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Wait, so, let's say they do it with "enter serial code of your game and you can redownload as much as you want".

I mean, I'm pretty sure many smaller rental places won't have a clue about this.

Maybe you have to have already registered the game... or something. I dunno, it is quite the flustercuck, but we don't know enough about it to accurately speculate.

My PSP Phat with CFW treats me well enough.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm very tempted to get the Go, as I don't have any UMD's that I have to worry about playing. It's really going to hinge on two things:

1) Amount of games to download day 1. I want Rock Band, Dissadia, Crisis Core, etc.

2)Music and Video Playback. They better have a UI that looks and works good, and more importantly works when I have the system closed. If I have to open the system for changing tracks, fastforwarding, etc, it'll be a no buy.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The first PSP should have been this way. It's stupid that Sony has realized their mistake by using UMD much too late into the PSP's life.

I disagree, actually. I think it might actually be too soon for a down-load only console-ish system. Doing so at the start of the PSP cycle would have been suicide.

Keep in mind that a lot of people buying these devices are not quite as tech-savvy as you would assume (and/or are minors with non-tech savvy parents who would not buy into a system you can't purchase "games" for).

SniperLogic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I never saw or heard of this UMD copying peripheral. A lot people have said they should have one and need to have one, but I still haven't seen an announcement for it. So I guess I don't believe it until I see a reputable link.

EDIT: That sounds more reasonable, a download-based program. Probably something like entering in your serial number and then they remove it from a master list of downloadable UMDs. So the rental places will have to provide Sony the serials if they don't want random people getting them for free.

What a clusterfuck of a thing to do halfway through a console.

Seriously, it's sheer madness. Tracking by serial may not be unfeasible; I was really surprised when I brought my iPod into repair at the Apple store and they were able to tell me exactly when and where my iPod was from without even asking me for a receipt.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    White PSP Go with CFW = Goodbye DS, you piece of shit.

DeathofaLion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    White PSP Go with CFW = Goodbye DS, you piece of shit.

Okay, now you're being a dick.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Maybe you have to have already registered the game... or something. I dunno, it is quite the flustercuck, but we don't know enough about it to accurately speculate.

My PSP Phat with CFW treats me well enough.

I'm picturing a directive going out to all rental stores to compile a list of all PSP serials and send it to Sony so they can be deactivated.

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.