As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forza Motorsport 3 - Release: 10/27/09 (US) | Demo OUT NOW [on X360]

HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
This isn't a vs GT5 thread though. Just FM3 for Xbox 360 coming out October 27th, 2009
forza2.jpg

What is this Forza 3 you speak of?
First announced at E3 2009 by Turn 10 Studios. Forza Motorsport 3 is a sequel to Forza Motorsport and Forza Motorsport 2. It is racing simulator in the same vein of Gran Turismo. Simply put. It's a hardcore, racing simulator. It's got the same Pokemon "Gotta Collect Them All" type of feature to getting all the cars and winning money from races to buy more cars!

Forza Motorsport 3 is the next racing game in the Forza series from Turn 10 Studios. Turn 10 is promising that Forza Motorsport 3 will "blur the line between arcade and simulation racers." The game was just recently announced at E3 so details are sparce but Turn 10 has stated that the game will contain over 400 cars and over 100 real world tracks. The single player portion of the game will be a career mode that features a customizable calendar where the player arranges which of the games 200 events they would like to compete in. Modes include oval racing, drag racing, circuit racing, drift competitions, and time attack. The "cover car" for the game is Audi's new roadster, the Audi R8.

Features List:
• 2 discs
• 400 cars from over 50 manufacturers
• 100 tracks (most likely variations of several tracks)
• Runs in 720p @ 60fps
• "Rewind" feature, activated by pressing the BACK button on the Xbox 360 controller. You can rewind to a specific point in a race and redo that section. This feature can be used to undo a crash or retake a turn with a better line.
• "One Button Driving". Forza 3 will introduce 'auto-braking', which will allow you to steer and keep one finger on the gas, while the game takes care of the rest for you.
• Xbox LIVE leaderboards for racers and the most prolific car tuners and painters in the community.
• The Season mode will feature guidance and voice-overs by Peter Egan.
• Online Race Rules Editor, Allows the player to manipulate the game rules. Change the number of laps, Which driving assists can be used, What class cars, etc.
• A new party system that allows players to hop into one room and then jump from race to race together.
• Manual with a clutch, Hold left bumper to engage the clutch. Then you shift, then let off of the clutch. There is a missed shift if you don't hit it right. You can damage the car if you miss a shift with simulation damage on. The manual with clutch is faster than manual and automatic.
• Auto-Upgrade system. Adds parts to a car based on what class you want it to upgrade to. It will upgrade the car to as close to the top of the Performance Index of the class you choose.
• You can now roll your car over in single player and multiplayer races. Cars will be able to be flipped back over after a roll by using the analog sticks.
• Drift Scoring System
• New Performance Index (PI) system. All cars get a PI rating including R classes. Production cars will now be able to upgrade to and through the R classes. PI is based on the ability of the car not the ability of the AI's to drive it.
• Season Play: They've added a dynamic calendar system to career mode that adds events to a calendar based on what cars you buy, what types of races you like to do, etc.

A LOT of Screenshots from Forza 3 - Newest to Oldest
FM3_V8supercars_8.jpg
FM3_V8Supercar_2.jpg?n=8761
FM_CorvetteZR_1.jpg?n=4091
FM_Lambo_Reventon_7.jpg
FM_Ford_Mustang_1.jpg
FM3_Muscle_30.jpg
FM3_Muscle_40.jpg
FM3_Muscle_20.jpg?n=3216
FM3_LandRover_RangeRover_2.jpg
FM3_Pontiac_G8GXP_1.jpg
FM3_Chrysler_300C_2.jpg
FM3_Honda_FitSport_1.jpg?n=1231
FM3_STI_1.jpg?n=1380
FM3_STI_2.jpg?n=8050
FM3_SuperGT_10.jpg?n=8050
FM3_Mitsubishi_EvoIXMR_1.jpg?n=8050
mf31.jpg
mf36.jpg
mf37.jpg
3597911968_64994621a0_o.jpg
mf38.jpg
mf39.jpg
mf3v.jpg
mf32.jpg
mf33.jpg
mf310.jpg
mf312.jpg
mf313.jpg
mf314.jpg
mf315.jpg
3597911968_64994621a0_o.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen001.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen004.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen002.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen008.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen010.jpg

Forza 2 vs Forza 3 screenshot comparison:
33ljo9d.jpg
5dj8dh.jpg
fs4zs.jpg
2rgjh1s.jpg
65rfcg.jpg
mf38.jpg
[IMG][/img]4lr5f4.jpg
mf39.jpg

And videos, videos, videos:
Mercedes SUV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQV3CE6brFA

Murcielago:
http://betav2.gamersyde.com/news_8014_en.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu8j-ZRz54 [this one is a good watch, shows both rewinding and rollover near the end]
good vid and nice quality, shows a couple different cars and the third track we hadn't seen demoed before. Great draw distance on those mountains.
Also, shows the car rolling after a crash, although tbh it doesn't look that good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kBLkVAbnU
Another video, this time showing a SUV and you can get a glimpse of a few cars we hadn't seen before. Impressed they have so many cars available to choose from in the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-L60FEOTY
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50685?type=flv
http://gamersyde.com/news_7975_en.html
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211099/
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211017/forza-motorsport-3-slick-black-car-multiple-views-on-track-gameplay-movie

more car-rolling, this time with a bit of cheating:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14345839/forza-3/videos/forza3_howtorollyourcar.html

Demo has been released on Xbox Live Marketplace on September 24th, 2009

Track: Comina Viejo

Cars:
2007 Porsche #80 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro
2009 Ferrari California
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
2009 Mini John Cooper Works

Now...who's buyin'? I am. I was Day 1 purchase for Forza 2, and now so will be Forza 3!

Hawk on

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes.
    Hawk wrote: »
    "blur the line between arcade and simulation racers."

What the hell does this mean, though? I don't want an arcade racer. I want Forza.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

Day one.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2 discs is a big turn-off to me. I don't have a lot of harddrive space and I'm not willing to buy a bigger harddrive for the cost of a DSLite.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

What the hell does this mean, though? I don't want an arcade racer. I want Forza.

i agree with this post

that quote has me a bit scared

not to scared though, because forza is wonderful, and i think itd be pretty hard to fuck up

but what could they possibly mean?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

Well they're adding in features that appeal to casual gamers as well.

I.E. Auto-brake Assist - Which will make it a 1-button game. Just press the Gas and the game will take care of the rest.

They're also adding in different modes like Drifting and whatnot, which I think will tweak the physics to be more playable.

EDIT: Also, if you press the 'Back' button (which is unused in Forza 2) it will rewind gameplay. When you use it, there is no penalty to rewinding either. They felt that if you were doing a 30 lap race, and spun out or crashed on the last lap, people would just turn it off or move on. They want people to keep playing, so they added Rewind without any kind of penalty to keep people playing.

They also say that you can use the Rewind feature to make the crashes more spectacular since there is rollover!

Hawk on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    2 discs is a big turn-off to me. I don't have a lot of harddrive space and I'm not willing to buy a bigger harddrive for the cost of a DSLite.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to see how much space that takes up, and whether or not you can install bits and pieces.

Pretty much everything else has me excited though. I'm fine with them doing the casual and hardcore thing, as long as they're all in the form of assists that you can turn off. I'm not good enough to race completely unassisted yet, but I like that I can work my way there.

I also should really try to finish Forza 2, I'm still only level...30?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gran Turismo usually came on multiple discs so this isn't really a turn off for me.

I'm so glad they updated that old hat engine. Vehicle roll-overs mean a day 1 purchase for me as well.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    mollylolly88mollylolly88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had better brush up on my racing skills and dust off the 360 racing wheel

mollylolly88 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Gran Turismo usually came on multiple discs so this isn't really a turn off for me.
    Yeah, but it didn't limit the amount of space on the (nonexistent) harddrive.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Day 1 man.

The graphics...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

Well they're adding in features that appeal to casual gamers as well.

I.E. Auto-brake Assist - Which will make it a 1-button game. Just press the Gas and the game will take care of the rest.

They're also adding in different modes like Drifting and whatnot, which I think will tweak the physics to be more playable.

EDIT: Also, if you press the 'Back' button (which is unused in Forza 2) it will rewind gameplay. When you use it, there is no penalty to rewinding either. They felt that if you were doing a 30 lap race, and spun out or crashed on the last lap, people would just turn it off or move on. They want people to keep playing, so they added Rewind without any kind of penalty to keep people playing.

They also say that you can use the Rewind feature to make the crashes more spectacular since there is rollover!

as long as i can turn some of these things off, i am ok with it

Joolander on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard someone complain about too much game content. o_O

I bought the wireless racing wheel last year and got burnt out on Forza 2, it will be good to dust it off for something even better.

Forza has always blurred the line between arcade and sim. The extra assists made it much easier to drive, and the limited damage was very arcadey to me. Then there was the no collision mode, too. The only way you could make it more arcade like was to rubberband the racers. But I would personally burn down every one of the developer's homes if they ruined Forza with that kind of bullshit.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote:
    Yeah, but it didn't limit the amount of space on the (nonexistent) harddrive.

This is based on nothing, but i can't really see the download taking up any more than a gig, tops. Possibly even half that.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, I'm almost certain both Gran Turismo and Forza have always had an arcade mode as well. What the hell are you all complaining about?

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah it should be a small second disc, just enough that it couldn't fit on one.

Yes the auto-brake and previous assists will be things you can turn off.

I'm not entirely sure if the BACK button will be a feature you can turn off or disable since it's mapped to a button, but we'll see about that. It sure will be tempting to use unless you turn it off somehow

Hawk on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bought day 1.

Forza 2 let you turn off all of the assist features, so I can't imagine why 3 wouldn't.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Forza 1 and 2 had the ugliest city-scapes and I really hope Turn 10 took a page from Project Gotham Racing's art department in that area.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard someone complain about too much game content. o_O

I'm happy about the content. I love Forza, I still play F2 a lot. I'm just not happy about the game taking up HDD space on a really small HDD, when the only alternative HDD is hugely expensive.

Granted we don't know how much space it'll take up, but I mean if it's beyond a certain amount, then yeah it's a real deal breaker.

And I don't get the idea of having a really small second disc, just enough to warrant one. If it were a small amount of content that was just enough to warrant a second disc, they would have cut it in order to avoid this problem.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any word on the driving wheel that is going to release along side the game? I have heard some vague rumors but nothing specific.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    verpakeyes wrote: »
    Any word on the driving wheel that is going to release along side the game? I have heard some vague rumors but nothing specific.

Nothing that I've seen or read in detail. However I saw a video from E3 of it and it's sweet.

It's Force Feedback, H shifter and has a clutch. Game will support 3 screens (3 xboxes system linked) and clutch with shifting.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Nothing that I've seen or read in detail. However I saw a video from E3 of it and it's sweet.

It's Force Feedback, H shifter and has a clutch. Game will support 3 screens (3 xboxes system linked) and clutch with shifting.

Any chance you have a link to that video?

And maybe they should release a second version of the game without the second disk so crazy people that want to pay the same for less can buy that instead.

verpakeyes on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I suck at both Forza and Gran Turismo.

I reach that point. You know the one. Where the cars all go up a class and no matter what car you by or whatever tweaking you need, your opponents just go fucking faster.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »

I'm happy about the content. I love Forza, I still play F2 a lot. I'm just not happy about the game taking up HDD space on a really small HDD, when the only alternative HDD is hugely expensive.

Granted we don't know how much space it'll take up, but I mean if it's beyond a certain amount, then yeah it's a real deal breaker.

And I don't get the idea of having a really small second disc, just enough to warrant one. If it were a small amount of content that was just enough to warrant a second disc, they would have cut it in order to avoid this problem.

I don't mean to pick a fight here, but the 120GB hard drive is priced for the cost of 2 brand new games. That's not hugely expensive, in my book. $60 for a new game is hugely expensive in my opinion! LOL

I would imagine that you'll only need the 2nd disc for when you unlock new cars or tracks that couldn't make it on to the 1st disc. Installing that small portion won't kill you.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And maybe they should release a second version of the game without the second disk so crazy people that want to pay the same for less can buy that instead.

That's so crazy that just might work! Oh wait, until some Mom buys the cut-rate version for her kid and they raise holy hell when it turns out that they didn't get everything they thought they would.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

VIDEO:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50685
    (forgot how to embed)

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

VIDEO:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50685
    (forgot how to embed)

That looks amazing, that it does seem like a prototype version, I wonder when we will get more info.

verpakeyes on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also note it won't come with the hydraulics it was hooked up to, lol.

Hawk on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone got details on the Fanatec wheel?

I really want one, but it's silly to buy before FM3 is out. However, if you visit the Fanatec website, everything says they're limited edition and to buy one now. A gated shifter and clutch is fuck awesome but it's just not realistic to buy it right now.

Anyone heard rumors there will be a non-limited release down the road?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also note it won't come with the hydraulics it was hooked up to, lol.

Haha, I figured.

Look similar to this one :
    http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=250&lang=en
    http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm

Edit:
    I am wondering the exact same thing xzzy, I want to wait to know if they are gonna release something even better, maybe just slightly, down the line closer to release.

verpakeyes on
  • Options
    mollylolly88mollylolly88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really looking forward to this game. ALso, the wheel from the video is hot.

mollylolly88 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've sent a mail to Fanatec asking for details, not sure I'll get a response but it's worth a try.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    October is only 4 months away, but seems longer.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's always darkest before the dawn.

It really does look like they're fixing my biggest complaints from FM1 and FM2, at least in the gameplay sense. The fact that the xbox doesn't have to sit and churn for several seconds when rewinding is a huge plus. The gametrailers video suggests the interface lag has been reduced as well. Plus, now the game supports a clutch pedal. Win.

All that remains is the tuning elements and the paint interface. I really hope they're integrating the tuning and benchmarking screens, and letting us import our own images. FM2 felt extremely dated even when it was new because of these limitations.. hopefully they've streamlined it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ClueClue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I've sent a mail to Fanatec asking for details, not sure I'll get a response but it's worth a try.
    Xzzy, let me know what you hear about the fanatec wheel as well. I will likely be grabbing one, but would like to wait a bit as well.

Clue on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    It's always darkest before the dawn.

It really does look like they're fixing my biggest complaints from FM1 and FM2, at least in the gameplay sense. The fact that the xbox doesn't have to sit and churn for several seconds when rewinding is a huge plus. The gametrailers video suggests the interface lag has been reduced as well. Plus, now the game supports a clutch pedal. Win.

All that remains is the tuning elements and the paint interface. I really hope they're integrating the tuning and benchmarking screens, and letting us import our own images. FM2 felt extremely dated even when it was new because of these limitations.. hopefully they've streamlined it.

Yeah that interface is way slick, it's still kind annoying to sift through all my cars to pick. FM3 will be a great game.

Hawk on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If you're handy with a screwdriver and around computers there is an app called HDDHackr which allegedly allows you to use pretty much any 2.5 inch Western Digital drive you can buy and use up to 120gb of the drive. I'm not certain on the details, but it might be something to look into.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited June 2009

If you're handy with a screwdriver and around computers there is an app called HDDHackr which allegedly allows you to use pretty much any 2.5 inch Western Digital drive you can buy and use up to 120gb of the drive. I'm not certain on the details, but it might be something to look into.

I'm sure that'll void some part of a warranty (if you have one).

I upgraded from 20GB to 120GB, it was expensive yes, but I'm happy I did it.

And honestly if you're buying Forza 3, you should be happy whatever you have to install to the HDD (which really won't be more than 1GB or 2GB).

Hawk on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    clutch with shifting.

HOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCKHOLYFUCK

YES. YES. FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Fucking... yes.

The one thing that kept me coming back to TOCA Race Driver 2 was the clutch. OHHHHHH FUCK I'm SO excited. It's a good thing I browse these forums in the nude.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I probably won't use the dashboard view much, but I was disappointed there wasn't one when games like PGR3, Test Drive Unlimited had them (at the time).

Hawk on
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you think my Wireless MS Wheel will still work with this game?

Orthoji on