As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »
    scratching Prototype off of my Want list now. A shame, really.

Why?

Activision boycott, I'd assume, based on context.

Orogogus on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they drop the PSP price. There is a number of games on it that I really want to play.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    scratching Prototype off of my Want list now. A shame, really.

Why?

Activision boycott, I'd assume, based on context.

That is weak, weak sauce. Prototype is gonna rule, and Activision is NOT stopping Brutal Legend from coming out.

Fawst on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't take that shit out on Prototype. It ain't Radical's fault that Activision are suing. What nonsense.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, there are a lot of reasons to hate on Activision, but Prototype ain't one of 'em.

I mean, too bad for Brutal Legend and all, and that definitely sucks, but frankly I would jump kick Jack Black in the chest if that were the only way to obtain a copy of Prototype.

Halfmex on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »
    Tycho's post is up, and I pretty much agree with him on everything but Sony.
    When they stepped forward with something called a Wii Vitality Sensor, we exploded with rage. Shortly thereafter, the sky cracked and we were reborn in a radiant pillar of divine bliss. The announcement of a new Metroid would have brought me joy merely because I love Metroid, because there is a place in me that Metroid is fitted to. That it would answer the nameless yearning of my heart and posit a serious take on the setting - with Team Ninja at the helm - was entirely too much to bear.

Sony's "Agent" announcement is precisely the sort of thing you shouldn't do when the eyes of all the world are upon you. They suggested that Rockstar was making a game exclusively for the Playstation 3, and that it was going to be as big as Grand Theft Auto, popped up a logo, and that was it. It was ridiculous. It would be like a magician gesturing at a hat, suggesting that the hat in question contained a rabbit - you'll just have to trust him - and then proceeding to the next trick. Even the God of War demo, which should have plunged the whole earth into an eon of fiery doom, had no consummation - ending an interminable conference on a downward trajectory. Time was, you could count on Sony to at least deliver some questionable video! We may come to look upon those times with affection.

Peter Molyneux has no credit with me - he must always pay in advance, cash only. I am completely impervious to him, so when he says that he's invented some kind of digital boy this firm assertion is refracted into harmless light. Illusions of the kind he proposes are tremendously fragile - it's hard enough to maintain them in raw text, without the idiosyncrasies of the nested recognition systems in play with Milo. Please understand: I love the future, and I long to live there. I want very much to simulate a cognizant digital imp. But this man has broken my heart so many times that it can no longer contain love.

In general, the freaky-deaky augmented video mechanisms presented by Microsoft and Sony are inert for us - that is to say, we have no reaction to them whatsoever. Absent anything beyond minigames and puppet shows, I don't know how to contextualize this technology. I can't be certain that it has ramifications of any kind for the games I like to play, the ones my friends like to play, or for the games that built this industry.

He makes a good point about the motion stuff. It's all technically impressive, but I don't know if I want to use it. The games I enjoy most on the Wii involve only the most cursory movement, if you'll excuse the pun.

It seems to me that any metroid you do get on the Wii will be tainted with dissapointment. Metroid is a game which could be well served by beautiful graphics, which that demo was sadly lacking on all aspects. I don't see how you can say "Motion controlls are pointless" and "Hurrah for wii games" in the same post. If motion controls are pointless, then the wii is pointless and so any game on it is simply a poor cousin of what that game would have been on a real system, beyond motion controls the wii does nothing better than either of the others. Worse multiplayer, worse basic controller, less HD space, less power. I guess its good that a new metroid game is coming? But in terms of a real metroid game the one being made for XBLA is a true metroidvania style game.

I like Malstrom's analysis of the motion control stuff and why it really doesn't matter after all that Sony and MS are getting into it.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/the-whimper-of-hardcore-dreams/

TL;DR version of the article: Sony and MS games cost more to make. Motion controls make it hard to make cross-platform games. Thus, expensive AAA titles will not use motion control, except maybe as a very simple gimmick. Real motion control games will continue to be made for the cheapest console with the largest base, i.e. Wii.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1244066402579.jpg

My favorite thing from this year's E3 I think.

BlackDove on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But in terms of a real metroid game the one being made for XBLA is a true metroidvania style game.

Explain, with links.

Deaderinred on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    1244066402579.jpgMy favorite thing from this year's E3 I think.
    So awesome. That guy could not have looked less interested than he did.

Halfmex on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The thing about the system tanking sales wise is that Nintendo has always cut their losses and dropped production that ends up just being a money hole (ala Virtual Boy and GB Micro), but Sony has yet to show they do that. If sales are horrible they try to fix it by doing whatever.

Also called the PS3 method.

So you consider the PS3 sucha failure that they should just drop the line entirely?

Thank god you don't get to make any kind of important decisions.

No, that's not what I was saying. Although looking at my post, it looks like it.

What I'm saying is that Sony tends to find ways to fix the situation such as new bundles, slight price drops, etc etc. I was just saying if the PSP Go did tank pretty badly, I don't see them just dropping it.

I guess more simply I don't see this being a GB Micro situation. And while not selling as well as the competition, no it isn't a failure.

Oh well, I'll just hush, my point is muddled appearantly and I can't speak english well today either. :(
    A couple of pages old but nobody mentioned the it.
    The PSX says hi.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    White PSP Go with CFW = Goodbye DS, you piece of shit.

Except for the sheer amount of support the DS gets, along with the superior quanitity and quality of titles.

Other than that, goobye DS you horrible horrible system. o_O

I don't get his logic either. The DS has the largest library of great games this gen, and thats without even having to resort to homebrew/piracy.

Zerokku on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But in terms of a real metroid game the one being made for XBLA is a true metroidvania style game.

Explain, with links.

Screw your links.

Epic is making an XBLA game that comes out this summer that looks kinda/sorta like a mashup of contra and metroid. I don't see the vania at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited June 2009

Explain, with links.

Screw your links.

Epic is making an XBLA game that comes out this summer that looks kinda/sorta like a mashup of contra and metroid. I don't see the vania at all.

Meh.

Deaderinred on
    edited June 2009
    I especially liked this one.

1244066685360.png

BlackDove on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That guy is my hero. I wish someone would interview him

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited June 2009
    Ahaha

I love when stuff like this catches on. Every E3 has one. Last year it was Ravidrums, this year it's 'bored translator guy'.

Halfmex on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think he was playing sudoku the entire time.

Renzo on
    edited June 2009
    In the end, I guess it was simply:

1244066561985.jpg

Gonna stop now, the chans are full of shoops by now.

BlackDove on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Explain, with links.

Screw your links.

Meh.

Meh?
    Developer walkthrough of Shadow Complex demo

There's a big emphasis on upgrading and gaining new powers to access new areas of the map, total Super Metroid style, and the developer promises a "massive, nonlinear world" with no loading screens. You gain experience through exploring the map instead of killing enemies. Here's a shot of the full map (at least shown):

picture3ssb.png

Looking better and better the more I see of it. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Explain, with links.

Screw your links.

Meh.

I coined the phrase "Contravania".

But no one will use it. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Explain, with links.

Screw your links.

Meh.

Meh?
    Developer walkthrough of Shadow Complex demo

There's a big emphasis on upgrading and gaining new powers to access new areas of the map, total Super Metroid style, and the developer promises a "massive, nonlinear world" with no loading screens. You gain experience through exploring the map instead of killing enemies. Here's a shot of the full map (at least shown):

picture3ssb.png

Looking better and better the more I see of it. <3

now we're talking! i was mehing at epic, but now ive seen that shot this could be a day 1 for me.

Deaderinred on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chair is developing Shadow Complex in association with Epic.

Renzo on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What about "Controid?"

slash000 on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, the DS lacks an analogue stick. However, it isn't too much of a bother since people just love to put GBA-esque sidescrollers on it, anyway.

...I can't believe I used to bash the PSP in favor of the DS.

What a lost cause that was...

what are you, ten? get the fuck out and never come back. i'm not saying this because you don't like the ds. i'm saying fuckin leave because fanboism induced retardation is never welcome here. EVER.

christ, what a dumbass.

Guek on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

What about "Controid?"

"Controidvania"?

Zerokku on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Youtube has the Nintendo conference in 8 parts, is there anywhere I can watch it in one single clip?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited June 2009
    i just watched that video, day fucking 1. i love this shit.

not sure were you guys are getting contra from, it looks more metroid with kinda vania levelling.

Deaderinred on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Youtube has the Nintendo conference in 8 parts, is there anywhere I can watch it in one single clip?

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/nintendo-e3/

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Watching the 15 minute Arkham Asylum demo, this takes the cake of "Who wins E3" for me.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/nintendo-e3/

Great, thanks

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It should be the budget PSP when it's 50% lighter, 40% brighter, with 16GB internal storage?

When it comes to electronics, lighter doesn't mean less expensive. You have to make everything fit and have it work the same way. Also, they spent a lot of money on redesigning the damn thing, too. Not to mention it probably has somewhat of an enhanced battery just to put up with the extra 40% brightness.

I'm no hardware/electronics expert, but I imagine what they're using up (in terms of battery power) for the brighter screen, they're likely at least partially making up from the lack of power required for either a laser or to spin the UMDs. Isn't solid state memory highly energy efficient compared to hard drives and optical drives?

I could be mistaken, but it's not like they aren't saving energy consumption somewhere on the device already.

Super late edit: also, as others have pointed out, solid state memory (especially in the bulk quantities Sony would be purchasing it at) is currently really fucking cheap. Custom made or not, "16 gigs internal memory" doesn't exactly wow me when I can snag a 20gig thumb drive from the local office depot for $30.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Konami has done it's very best to run Metroidvania to the ground. It's not Metroid's fault that they made twenty bazillion Castlevania DS games, but I'm kind of tired with that sort of thing.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited June 2009
    Matrias wrote: »
    Konami has done it's very best to run Metroidvania to the ground. It's not Metroid's fault that they made twenty bazillion Castlevania DS games, but I'm kind of tired with that sort of thing.

There is only three DS Castlevania games, and they are all super fun, so why the long face?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    As much as I love the old Castlevania games, I discovered very quickly via the PSP Rondo of Blood remake that my skills no longer 'pay the bills', as it were, and as such, I vastly prefer the Metroidvanias to the platforming whipfests of old.

I'm all for this new Castlevania of War, but they had better keep the 2D ones coming too or I will be most disappointed.

Halfmex on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm left handed and while it is right handed biased, i don't run into many left handed issues

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so what are people picks for their personal favorite games at E3? or, I guess, just games that caught your attention?

mine would be:

Halo: Reach

- I've strangely become much less interested in ODST after watching some of the E3 footage. It just looks kind of generic to me. Conversely, Halo:R has gotten my attention with nothing more than a voiceover and some worthless renders. I think it's because I know spartans will be involved. Hmmph.

Modern Warfare 2

- This one's kind of phoned in for me. I liked the first one, I'll like this one. I'm not so much excited as I am aware that it'll be purchased eventually.

Alan Wake - I'll definitely be looking into this game some more. Dunno if I'll buy it, but it sure has my interest now.

Capcom vs Tatsunoko - Because FUCK YEAH IT'S COMING STATESIDE.

Silent Hill: SD - The last part of the walkthrough alone scared the shit out of me. I swear poop came out.

Red Steel 2 - The developer walkthrough sold me. I'll give it another shot, pending good reviews.

NMSB:Wii - It's NSMB:Wii

Galaxy 2 - Loved the first one, will love this one, and cuz yoshi is hip and all that

Metriod: Other M - I'm a little worried about how the game will actually end up playing, but if anything it looks ambitious. I think it was probably the biggest surprise game at E3. Either that or FF14

Guek on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, I figured it could be shoe-horned in here:

Activision sues to stop Jack Black game

So it looks like Brutal Legend will not be coming out this Rocktober after all.

Those dicks

Best post E3 news ever!

Just when I was starting to forget that they were terrible, too.

EDIT: scratching Prototype off of my Want list now. A shame, really.

This game will be five hours long anyway. I pass.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2009
    Here's my personal favorites from E3:

Tetsunoko vs. Capcom - the impossible happened and this awesome game is coming stateside with online play and extra characters...super. :^:

Super Mario Bros. Wii - four player classic Mario...yes please.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - SMG is one of my favorite games of the last several years, more of that is joygasm inducing.

Metroid: Other M - I'm as much a Metroid fanboy as I am a Mario fanboy, and I never expected another game in the series for quite a while, plus with Team Ninja at the helm...woo. :D

Scribblenauts - the game where practically anything you can think to write will come to life and either help or hinder you...the posibilities are endless.

Batman: Arkham Assylum - best Batman game ever...maybe so.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - I just love these games, and it looks to be way improved over the first one.

Mario and Luigi 3 - awesome RPG series and it involves traveling through Bowsers innards...this means hilarity shall ensue.

Sin & Punishment 2 - awesome shoot em up niche title.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My top pick of the show:

Zelda Wii. Yes, the game that was never actually announced, we have no screenshots or video, or any idea how it's going to play.

Graviija on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My top 3:

The Last Guardian: Because it looks beautiful, amazing, and the developer's last two games are both on my top five of all time list.

Shadow Complex: It's the Metroid I've wanted for a while now: 2D, on the television instead of a tiny handheld screen, and in HD.

FFXIII: Finally, a new FF that isn't some crappy spinoff, portable, super-saturated with cute for Square's idea of Nintendo family friendliness, an MMO, or set in Ivalice! And it's heavily inspired by FF7, which I thought had some of the best atmosphere in the series. Big hopes for this one.

Oddly enough, Modern Warfare 2 and Mario Galaxy 2 just aren't doing anything for me. I felt like I'd already played them when I watched the videos, maybe a little too samey. Can't wait to learn about the next console Zelda, though.

Darlan on
This discussion has been closed.