[PRIME] Extracurricular parties

busychild424busychild424 Registered User
edited June 2009 in PAX Archive
Super noob here. I'm going to be attending my first PAX this year. I've seen lots of talk about pub crawls and the like, and I'm sure there will be tons of impromptu hotel parties and such, but I'm wondering what else goes down. For example, at SXSW, there is the "official twitter party" at this bar on Friday, the "official tumblr party" at that bar on Sunday, etc. Are there parties like that - planned around PAX but which are not official PAX events?

TIA.

THE BOAT ENGINE MAKE NOISE MOTHERFUCKER
busychild424 on

Posts

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's typically been a company or two hosting their own "after" parties ("after" as they usually start well before PAX shuts down for the night) each year. Last year CCP held one at a bar in Pioneer Square (yay to free well drinks, boo to going to Pioneer Square to do so) that had as much to do with EVE Online as Suicide Girls (because the entertainment was essentially a burlesque show with lots of black), and the year before Sierra held one for World in Conflict over in the Annex, which was actually themed like the game (replica army vehicles, girls with uniforms, booty shorts, and what I hope were fake AK-47s).

    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also last year I heard about a White Wolf party, and I went to one for that new Superhero MMO.
    Lots of hors'doerves (or however you spell that) and at least one free drink (if I remember correctly.) It was at the Library. Kinda lame, cause I didn't see anyone I knew, and everyone was kind of cliquish there.

    neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember them handing out fliers for that after party, but I didn't go because those sons of bitches didn't see fit to give me a nerf gun during the expo. BOYCOTTED FOREVER.

    Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are always plenty around, last year I ducked past the Champions Online one (fairly poor as it was advertised to everyone), 1up had a meet n greet at Gameworks which was fairly good, then of course the awesome CCP/White Wolf party which yeah, had very little to do with video games and more to do with eurotrash and freakshows. It was awesome, especially considering the bar staff took the view that if single shots were free, clearly double shots were twice as free! There were some strange types there.

    But yeah, just keep your ears open, talk to the booth staff and be friendly and more often than not you'll find some parties to get to.

    CuZZa on
  • HoLeYHoLeY Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah...there's almost always after parties somewhere...sometimes before PAX finally ends...but even if you show up late to those, like after the concerts, etc...people are still up partying.

    I hope to go to a few things here and there afterward...but it's better to just show up and mingle rather than plan them IMHO.

    HoLeY on
  • Post BluePost Blue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Check out Gameworks and The War Room.

    Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    There's typically been a company or two hosting their own "after" parties ("after" as they usually start well before PAX shuts down for the night) each year. Last year CCP held one at a bar in Pioneer Square (yay to free well drinks, boo to going to Pioneer Square to do so) that had as much to do with EVE Online as Suicide Girls (because the entertainment was essentially a burlesque show with lots of black), and the year before Sierra held one for World in Conflict over in the Annex, which was actually themed like the game (replica army vehicles, girls with uniforms, booty shorts, and what I hope were fake AK-47s).

    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    omg all that stuff sounds awsome.

    Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Wait, these company sponsored parties have burlesque shows now? How come nobody mentioned this earlier! Here I've been avoiding them because the Turbine/Flying Lab etc. parties back in the day were so weak and/or lame. Why don't they just put 'GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!' on their fliers? I suppose at PAX that would be like yelling 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater.

    ElectricTurtle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Numquam magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
    There has never been a great spirit without a touch of insanity.
    (Seneca Philosophus, De tranquillitate animis)
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    Asking, check!

    Look 21+, I uber fail at that shit. I'm 26 and can easily pass for a high school student. :|

    MaoChan on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, these company sponsored parties have burlesque shows now? How come nobody mentioned this earlier!

    To be fair, the only thing I knew about the EVE party before I got there was free drinks.
    MaoChan wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    Asking, check!

    Look 21+, I uber fail at that shit. I'm 26 and can easily pass for a high school student. :|

    Worst case is you just have to tell them that. Best case is that they don't care how old you look, it'll be someone else's problem turning you away.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    Asking, check!

    Look 21+, I uber fail at that shit. I'm 26 and can easily pass for a high school student. :|


    Haha, well I guess that works if you're trying to pose as a high school student but not so much for bars and pubs... haha

    Growing facial hair helps... Although that's a little hard for the girls I guess... But then they could just use their female charm to get themselves in...

    It sucks if you're coming from Canada because the legal age here is 19... luckily I'm 21!

    Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »
    There's typically been a company or two hosting their own "after" parties ("after" as they usually start well before PAX shuts down for the night) each year. Last year CCP held one at a bar in Pioneer Square (yay to free well drinks, boo to going to Pioneer Square to do so) that had as much to do with EVE Online as Suicide Girls (because the entertainment was essentially a burlesque show with lots of black), and the year before Sierra held one for World in Conflict over in the Annex, which was actually themed like the game (replica army vehicles, girls with uniforms, booty shorts, and what I hope were fake AK-47s).

    Best way to find out is to ask around and look 21+.

    omg all that stuff sounds awsome.

    Yea all of the CCP parties are like that. Theirs was the best sponsored party I've ever been to. First time I met Tycho face to face also I believe.

    We're they inviting anyone to this party?

    Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • bigben79bigben79 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    This is also my first trip to PAX and its also my B-day the same weekend. I think I might have to move things around and arrive in Seattle a day or two earlier to catch some of the pre-PAX adventures.

    bigben79 on
  • yanyanyanyan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    CuZZa wrote: »
    There are always plenty around, last year I ducked past the Champions Online one (fairly poor as it was advertised to everyone), 1up had a meet n greet at Gameworks which was fairly good, then of course the awesome CCP/White Wolf party which yeah, had very little to do with video games and more to do with eurotrash and freakshows. It was awesome, especially considering the bar staff took the view that if single shots were free, clearly double shots were twice as free! There were some strange types there.

    But yeah, just keep your ears open, talk to the booth staff and be friendly and more often than not you'll find some parties to get to.

    I managed to go to the White Wolf party and it was pretty cool. Open bar + burlesque show= good times. I was with one of the cosplay groups (the Warmachine guys) and got invited that way.
    Chatting up the booth guys is a good idea, but also don't forget to talk other paxer's, who knows what might come up. The Green Tortoise is supposedly having a party this year also!

    yanyan on
    119
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to the Suicide Girls Burlesque show a couple years back. The best part was a killer all female Japanese band called Tsi Shi Ma Mi Re. The burlesque portion was super WEAK and quite frankly, embarassing as there was one good performance out of the whole set. My friend and I felt sad that it took such a lame showing to get straight guys interested.

    Now you know why there was an open bar - to make the burlesque seem better!

    KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to the Suicide Girls Burlesque show a couple years back. The best part was a killer all female Japanese band called Tsi Shi Ma Mi Re. The burlesque portion was super WEAK and quite frankly, embarassing as there was one good performance out of the whole set. My friend and I felt sad that it took such a lame showing to get straight guys interested.

    Now you know why there was an open bar - to make the burlesque seem better!

    All you have to do to get many geek guys interested is just have the Suicide Girls stand there. They have this crazy effect on some guys. I mean, they're hot, but I don't go all crazy over them.

    Now the open bar is awesome and makes everything else even more awesome.

    Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    I remember them handing out fliers for that after party, but I didn't go because those sons of bitches didn't see fit to give me a nerf gun during the expo. BOYCOTTED FOREVER.

    You'll get kicked out of PAX for having a nerf gun on the show floor. Ask Khoo. That's a BIGRED SMASH situation. lol.

    neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
This discussion has been closed.