As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

David Carradine found dead, age 73

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oddly, I don't really care. While I've enjoyed some of his work (what little was worthwhile), he's not somebody that I'll particularly miss seeing. Does this make me a bad person? Obviously I still care in that I'm sure there are people who cared deeply about him and will miss him, and that's sad and all...but, like, I saw Bernie Mac in Transformers the other day and that made me a bit sad, yet I'm sure next time I see Kill Bill I won't give it a thought.

Some great Thailand and INXS jokes in here, though.

mcdermott on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RIP David.

He was awesome in Kill Bill. Though i remember him best in Kung Fu. My mother was a huge fan, she would always get so engrossed in the show. There wasn't an afternoon that went by without his face on our T.V before the show was completely taken off the air.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fascinating factoid

i once checked out an audiobook version of Kerouac's On the Road with David Carradine reading.

it actually wasn't as awesome as it sounds.

RIP Bill.

Sam on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sad to see him go in such a manner. Personaly I have only seen him in Kill Bill, more familiar with his brothers to be honest. Will be a bit sad seeing the movie again, but hey what can you do. Personaly if I had to guess I would have guessed it be David Duchovny leaving us in this manner.

PS. David Eddings died? Man, I missed that news completly. My sister is going to be crushed, she loved the Belgariad.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aw man.

Oddly, what I remember him most from is hosting Wild West Tech on the History Channel.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »
    Anyways, David Carradine. Yeah. Sad to hear. But- yeah, not the best actor in the world, guys.
    I must have missed the part where people were saying this.

Because acting talent obviously determines how much people loved him.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I only remember him from Kill Bill and some 80s fantasy film where there was a woman with four boobs.

Ed321 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to remember where I saw the anecdote about a guy working a gaming store's grand opening, and they'd managed to snag Carradine for a celebrity appearance. He was a blast to have at the store, in spite of being drunk the whole time, and whacking the guy in the head with one of the recreation swords that decorated the store.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carradine may not have been the best actor in the world, but man did he ooze cool to me. I will miss him a bunch.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to remember where I saw the anecdote about a guy working a gaming store's grand opening, and they'd managed to snag Carradine for a celebrity appearance. He was a blast to have at the store, in spite of being drunk the whole time, and whacking the guy in the head with one of the recreation swords that decorated the store.

I remember that too, I want to say it was in one of the old G&T Employees Lounge threads. I cant really remember for sure though.

Mimas on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've actually been watching Kung Fu through Netflix right at this particular time. This sucks. Whatever you think of him as an actor, he was still something of an icon.

I also think I'm one of the few people who liked "Circle of Iron" (a.k.a. "The Silent Flute"). It wasn't really high cinema, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Dalboz on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He may not have been an acting great, but he was, as said, an icon. He was always fun to watch on screen. He was the one thing that made The Monster Hunter watchable.

Man, Carradine is definitely going to be missed.

BloodySloth on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mimas wrote: »

I remember that too, I want to say it was in one of the old G&T Employees Lounge threads. I cant really remember for sure though.

Yeah, I definitely remember reading it somewhere on these boards.

Ah, it's still there!

Here it is.

SteevL on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Second, this applies as you get older, never waste a hard-on.
    There's something very... poignant about this line.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    David Carradine is apparently one crazy motherfucker.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2009
    I believe the appropriate word is, 'was.' Then again, considering how he apprently died, perhaps the continuing tense is apropos.

Oh shit, I just realized. Remember when I said the next David to Die would be Duchovny? Well, celebrity deaths come in threes.

Day before yesterday? David Eddings.

Yesterday? David Carradine.

We need a D to fill that gap between them in the alphabet.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    David Carradine is apparently one crazy motherfucker.

Yup.

I read his auto-biography. At some point during his 20's he ate 4x the normal dose of peyote. He then proceeded to strip naked and carouse the neighborhood in a state of delirium. He wandered for hours where the Carradine, Barrymore, and other famous families lived in Beverly Hills. The police found him in a house which he broke into, his hands bloody from smashing a window. He was singing and playing the piano, slopping blood all over the ivory.

MindLib on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    David Carradine really should've had a daughter and named her Beta.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I believe the appropriate word is, 'was.' Then again, considering how he apprently died, perhaps the continuing tense is apropos.

Oh shit, I just realized. Remember when I said the next David to Die would be Duchovny? Well, celebrity deaths come in threes.

How about David Gilmour? Nobody likes him!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Mimas wrote: »

Yeah, I definitely remember reading it somewhere on these boards.

Ah, it's still there!

Here it is.
    It's so tempting to report that for awesome, but I'm sure there's some kind of statute of limitations on such an idea.

see317 on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You might get away with it as an anniversary thing....

Still, this saddened me when I found out.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • pismo no homopismo no homo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    better him than gordon liu, i guess.

pismo no homo on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

How about David Gilmour? Nobody likes him!

He might have one more tour/reunion left in him.

I'm rooting for David Faustino. Put him out of his misery.

Gim on
    edited June 2009
    So apparently John Carradine once said "Never do anything you wouldn't want to be caught dead doing."

Kind of blackly humorous considering the (rumored) circumstances of David's death.

BloodySloth on
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    According to the awesome story I just read, David Carradine once said "Never waste a hard-on". For some reason I think he wouldn't be embarrased.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    The guy was 72 and all signs point to him being a wildly... free-spirited individual. I'm sure he didn't care remotely enough to be embarrassed.

BloodySloth on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If only he had learned the inverse (never be wasted by a hard-on)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and now I am gonna kill Bill.

- Bill

Tyler the Great on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    fuck everyone in this thread for not mentioning one of his awesomest films
    deathrace2000.jpg

deathrace2000still.jpg

Medopine on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The articles I've read have been mostly debating whether it was a suicide, which he has a long history of talking about, or foul play. I hadn't heard anything about the genitals stuff.

Anyway, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q85cV3GOMw

Yes, that's a cut piece of garden hose. The real fun starts at 0:56.

Yar on
    edited June 2009
    God damn I miss this guy already. It's a shame that I'm just now learning how freakin' weird he was.

BloodySloth on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    The articles I've read have been mostly debating whether it was a suicide, which he has a long history of talking about, or foul play. I hadn't heard anything about the genitals stuff.

Anyway, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q85cV3GOMw

Yes, that's a cut piece of garden hose. The real fun starts at 0:56.

I love how the dog yawns, gets up, and walks away to go take a crap toward's the end of the video.

It's like that's pretty freaking average for him to see.

Archonex on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    David Carradine really should've had a daughter and named her Beta.

This joke did not receive the love it deserves.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    fuck everyone in this thread for not mentioning one of his awesomest films
    deathrace2000.jpg

deathrace2000still.jpg

I wanted to see this so bad when I saw the preview for the new one with Jason Statham. Without even knowing it existed, I thought: "Man, this movie would've been awesome if it'd been made 30 years ago."

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I learned about what happened last night. I liked him in Kill Bill and Wild West Tech on the History Channel. Unbelievable...

unknownsome1 on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So MSNBC is pretty much saying it was autoerotic asphyxiation now.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That is so messed.

Yar on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    That is so messed.

why? I think from what we've heard about the guy he probably wouldn't be all that embarrassed and might be glad he went out on a personal high note

Medopine on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FWIW his wife and management is firing back and saying it was foul play.

Ludious on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    FWIW his wife and management is firing back and saying it was foul play.
    The hotel is saying their security cameras show that no one entered or exited the room aside from him and the maid who found him though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png