As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD 3.5 - Tips and Advice

YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be playing DnD for the first time. My girlfriend is going to be running the game and she said we're going to probably be using edition 3.5. I was hoping that I would be able to get some advice for a starting player, this is my first time with any tabletop role-playing game.

Are there any good resources for information I should turn to? So far I have gone to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35, but it seems to mostly have technical information.

The thing I probably need help with most is character creation. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cleric class. The problem with that is that I've read I need to be aligned with a deity for that class, but I haven't been able to find comprehensive lists of the deities.

It might be looking a bit far ahead, but any general tips for preforming in the DM role would also be appreciated. For the first game or two my girlfriend will be the DM because she's done that before, but she wants to be able to play in games too, so I think that we'll rotate leadership.

YamiB. on

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.d20srd.org

Anything besides technical information is proprietary, and you'll have to pay for it. Plus your gf may be running a home campaign which would throw all fluff out the window anyways.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    first bit of advice, have fun.

second bit of advice, is there are alot, and I do mean alot of 3.5 deities. off hand I'm not sure where to find an online list but they are in the handbooks.

third bit of advice, see bit one.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Heres a quick description of the good and neutral deities to give you some ideas. You can find more on them with a quick search more than likely:

Boccob (neutral): God of magic and knowledge.
    Corellon Larethian (chaotic good): Creator and guardian of the elf race (elf god). Governs "magic, music, arts, crafts, poetry, and warfare."
    Ehlonna (neutral good): Goddess of the forest.
    Fharlanghn (neutral): The god of roads/ travelers.
    Garl Glittergold (neutral good): God of the gnomes, known for his famous tricks and pranks.
    Heironeous (lawful good): The god of valor, justice, chivalry, and honor.
    Kord (chaotic good): The god of strength.
    Moradin (lawful good): God of dwarves (smithing, mining, war).
    Obad-Hai (neutral): The god of nature, harmony with nature.
    Olidammara (chaotic neutral): The god of rogues, luck, and pranks.
    Pelor (neutral good): The god of the sun and healing.
    St. Cuthbert (lawful neutral): The god of retribution, revenge, punishment.
    Wee Jas (lawful Neutral): Goddess of death and magic.
    Yondalla (lawful good): Goddess of halflings (prosperity, nurturer).

Edit: Goddammit mike. Why didn't I think of that. D:

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figure out what game world you are playing in, first. The listed deities are from Greyhawk (the default setting of 3rd and 3.5 edition). A lot of folks play Forgotten Realms, which has a different set of deities. Many folks play in homebrew universes, or some of the other alternate DnD universes (Dragonlance, Dark Sun, etc.).

As far as Clerics and Deities, there are a lot of GMs that just have you choose your Domains and Alignment and just have you stay true to your Domains and Alignment instead of a specific god. I've known more than my fair share of "pantheistic" or "multiple god" clerics.

I suggest using Paizo's Pathfinder as your base rules. It is Paizo's spin on the 3.5 edition rules after Wizards decided to ditch 3.5 for 4th edition, and it fixes a lot of things (skill glut, for example). The PDF rulebooks for it are totally free, so if you want something in between buying the books and using the d20srd, it's a great resource for that.

My last suggestion is to ditch DnD and use a better system that won't give you cancer, but that's just my own prejudice. *grin*

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Badwick GaugeBadwick Gauge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's an entire book just for Deities and Demigods... I believe it's called "Deities and Demigods".
    My local store has books for people to browse through whenever to keep people from reading the for-sale copies for reference, so you could make a call or two to see if there's any place like that for you.

Overall, just have fun. There's a whole lot of stress with making your first character, but as long as you don't stress out too much and have fun, you'll be able to create another character later and get better at it.

Badwick Gauge on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    An important aspect you'll want to think of is what type of cleric you want to play, as there are a lot of ways to do it.

For example:

Aggressive
    104743.jpg

Defensive
    81352.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In addition, if I may offer up some 'Bad-Ass' deities for you to possibly worship

HADES
    Hades_p116.jpg

ODIN
    Odin_p168.jpg

TYR
    Tyr_p196.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, Tyr is such a wuss. Got his hand bit off by a little doggy.

Yeah, that's right, Tyr. What are you gonna do about it, Mr. One-hand? Show me your disgusting useless stump of an arm?

Bitch ass punk.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Yeah, that's right, Tyr. What are you gonna do about it, Mr. One-hand? Show me your disgusting useless stump of an arm?

Bitch ass punk.

Do not start this.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YamiB. wrote: »
    It might be looking a bit far ahead, but any general tips for preforming in the DM role would also be appreciated. For the first game or two my girlfriend will be the DM because she's done that before, but she wants to be able to play in games too, so I think that we'll rotate leadership.

I don't mean to troll, but "Buy, read and use 4E".
    Zonugal wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Bitch ass punk.

Do not start this.

Ha ha, big handless baby is aaaaaaaaangry.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Clerics are fun. Healing clerics are the best. Are you wanting to be a healing cleric?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”