As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is not. Massive resolution version on Nintendo's E3 PR site.

Shit I've only had this mousepad two days but I think I'm gonna have to make a new one already

Hm, where? Ive been all over the site and can't find it anywhere.

Also, yeah, chick = sword IMO.

Edit: Her leggings, or whatever, even look like the fabric on the handle of the sword.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Skab wrote: »

Shit I've only had this mousepad two days but I think I'm gonna have to make a new one already

Also, yeah, chick = sword IMO

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3444/wiizeldae3z.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    O Hai Thar New Desktop

picture1udg.th.png

zeldass.th.png

Think I have you beat. Thanks, thread, for the HUUUUUGE version by the way.

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    O Hai Thar New Desktop

picture1udg.th.png

Where'd you get the wider image? The super-high-res one a couple posts up doesn't go out to the sides quite as far as yours.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's a good guess, having more plot emphasis on the sword also makes sense for Wii MotionPlus shenanigans too.

Darlan on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What would be awesome, is if this is WW link, grown up. And they used a cel shading technique that made the game resemble that painting.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [nerd alert] I notice he's right-handed again too. [/nerd alert]

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well it is on wii

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Skab wrote: »

Also, yeah, chick = sword IMO

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3444/wiizeldae3z.jpg

You're a good man.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I think I've had enough of Link as an adult. The game works much better when he is a kid. Childlike adventure and all

You are the shadow version of myself, and I shall slay you, taking the heart piece you drop and adding it to my own strength. Adolescent like he was in LttP is fine, but kiddie Link is and was always a terrible idea.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does it make me a bad person that I constantly searched out a hot black woman in the background of all the G4 e3 specials?

Rae Don Chong hair with a bight, pastel, multi-colored shirt and blue jeans.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exarch wrote: »
    I think I've had enough of Link as an adult. The game works much better when he is a kid. Childlike adventure and all

You are the shadow version of myself, and I shall slay you, taking the heart piece you drop and adding it to my own strength. Adolescent like he was in LttP is fine, but kiddie Link is and was always a terrible idea.

I always thought he was pretty young in LTTP...

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The artwork portrayed him as mid-teens. Honestly, I think OoT is the first time we got a truly child-age Link.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The artwork portrayed him as mid-teens. Honestly, I think OoT is the first time we got a truly child-age Link.

Nah he was very much a kid in the very first Zelda.

Timestones on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At the time LttP was out, the comics and animated series depicted Link as being in his late teens IIRC. That's not a indication of cannon, but he was old enough for his uncle to leave him alone on a rainy night and figure he'd be ok. Regardless of age, the whole BESM anime style just never suited Link's character imo.

You people can have your kid link games, I understand they're popular, but for old farts like myself I need the OoT and TP type games.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Timestones wrote: »

Nah he was very much a kid in the very first Zelda.

Depends on the art you look at.

zelda-players-guide-0-dsf.jpg

Though, honestly, I don't think they put that much thought into his age at that point.

Edit: Even the more chibi-esque stuff still looks like mid-teens.

the-legend-of-zelda-link1.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first game's manual describes Link as a "young lad," capable of driving off Ganon's henchmen. This is during his "travels."

He's got to be at least a teen. If he's off on his own, travelling the world by himself, at least for some period of time, and long enough to learn how to use a sword and shield effectively.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Excerpt from the Giant Bomb Podcast concerning the Nintendo showing. Contains some F-bomb so NSFW if your boss isn't into that kinda thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0&feature=channel

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    O Hai Thar New Desktop

picture1udg.th.png

Where'd you get the wider image? The super-high-res one a couple posts up doesn't go out to the sides quite as far as yours.

I just stretched the sides out, added a little perspective so it didn't look so goofy, and put an ever so slight fade-to-black gradient on each side.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    O Hai Thar New Desktop

picture1udg.th.png

zeldass.th.png

Think I have you beat. Thanks, thread, for the HUUUUUGE version by the way.

You have me beat how exactly? By losing 90% of the image and not even showing the new character?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Link has always been a kid/tween character for me. Maybe 12 years old.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do NOT put "Link" and "Tween" in the same sentence, goddamn you.

I've heard that fucking tween term more times than I can stomach this week. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the only games where he seems >16 to me are Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

I just feel that Nintendo is a lot better at whimsical adventure than epic manly adventure. Phantom Hourglass convinced me of this. It's tone is way more consistent than TPs

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Link best in his mid to late teen incarnations (Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess). Not that I dislike the more childish version, especially noticeable in Wind Waker. But I prefer to take epic adventures as someone who looks like they could survive said adventure.

But the specific avatar that represents "Link" is fairly unimportant, compared to what makes the Zelda series so perfect. So I'll take what I get, and grin like an idiot while playing.

Graviija on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moon.jpg

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh
    20090605.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hah, cute. :)

(I wonder internally if that's ever been tried ... lol)

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    when you see it you'll shit [strike]bricks[/strike] dicks

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »

Oh, it's been tried internally.

Saddler on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    JCRooks wrote: »

Oh, it's been tried internally.

:winky:
    D:

Zerokku on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goodbye fair megathread, we hardly knew thee.

I suppose I should probably get around to making a brink thread now

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not dead yet! Come on people, we can take this thing to page 400!!!

A bit of E3 news about the new GoW2 DLC. Apparently regionality issues prompted them to drop the All Front Collection (All 4 map packs + poster, theme and strat guide in a retail package) from stores and just offer it as DLC, and then fan bitching over price got them to drop the new DLC, Dark Corners, to $15. I posted about it in the GoW2 DLC thread, but noone seems to really care. I guess that games kinda dead.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So they won't be reselling the game, and instead offer the extra stuff as DLC?

Good. I went into a flying rage when I heard about that 2nd edition, especially considering how the online still remains broken and polluted with pure scum. This might be the first step to fixing things.

I won't hold my breath though.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    *Agrees with DodgeBlan*
    You people can have your grown-up link games, I understand they're popular, but for old farts like myself I need the childlike, lighthearted type games.

Fixed.
    The artwork portrayed him as mid-teens.

The artwork also contradicts the in-game graphics (for instance, in the LttP art Zelda wears a simple blue dress, while in-game she wears the purplish thing she's worn in all the later Zeldas), so what the artwork says is essentially irrelevant up until OoT. And in-game it's a completely different story.

To me, the essence of the Zelda games has always been that Link is the weak, meek type who manages to beat adversity because he has the (Triforce of) courage to fight it against all odds. I think that's one of the most beautiful messages ever in a game.
    Feeling like a badass never appealed to me (here's where I point out that 'badass' is made up of 'bad' and 'ass'), and does looking like you could survive an adventure not make it, I don't know, less of an adventure? Look at Lord of the Rings, would it really benefit that story if the Hobbits had the same size or skill as an Aragorn?
    I for one like to see Link in the Hobbit role, and think it detracts from the message of the story and the sense of adventure if he's more like an Aragorn.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the style they're going for here shows that this new game will likely have nothing of what made me a fan of (some) Zeldas. In more simple terms, "Do not want!"

I'm disappointed to say the least that they decided to take Zelda in this direction again, but hey, if they want to alienate me, that's their loss. Besides, Spirit Tracks is still out there and I get to save a little money, I suppose.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So was Ocarina of Time something you didn't want? Really? Arguably the best entry in the series?

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Simply wow. I would really not have thought someone would be able to decry an entire game from one pretty concept painting!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damnit Nintendo, Link's left handed.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So they won't be reselling the game, and instead offer the extra stuff as DLC?

Good. I went into a flying rage when I heard about that 2nd edition, especially considering how the online still remains broken and polluted with pure scum. This might be the first step to fixing things.

I won't hold my breath though.

... It was never a "second edition" it was just a retail package (just a xbox live code, not even a disc) that gave you the previous four map packs as well as a poster and whatnot. More like an expansion or addon: GoW2 not included.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

To me, the essence of the Zelda games has always been that Link is the weak, meek type who manages to beat adversity because he has the (Triforce of) courage to fight it against all odds. I think that's one of the most beautiful messages ever in a game.
    Feeling like a badass never appealed to me (here's where I point out that 'badass' is made up of 'bad' and 'ass'), and does looking like you could survive an adventure not make it, I don't know, less of an adventure? Look at Lord of the Rings, would it really benefit that story if the Hobbits had the same size or skill as an Aragorn?
    I for one like to see Link in the Hobbit role, and think it detracts from the message of the story and the sense of adventure if he's more like an Aragorn.

Precisely. I think that's what turned me off Twilight Princess. I like starting an adventure as a weak schlub and earning my heroic status. None of this "You're the Destined Hero(tm) now, Link!" nonsense. Or at least save that for the end of the game, 'k?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the style they're going for here shows that this new game will likely have nothing of what made me a fan of (some) Zeldas. In more simple terms, "Do not want!"

I'm disappointed to say the least that they decided to take Zelda in this direction again, but hey, if they want to alienate me, that's their loss. Besides, Spirit Tracks is still out there and I get to save a little money, I suppose.

Holy jumping to conclusions, Batman! Let's take a deep breath now. Like Jam Warrior said, let's wait for more information before concluding whether this game is good to buy or not.

BTW, guys, we're out of the Salmon color. Gotta find a new color code for "I strongly disagree with this text."

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ZidicusZidicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    The first game's manual describes Link as a "young lad," capable of driving off Ganon's henchmen. This is during his "travels."

He's got to be at least a teen. If he's off on his own, travelling the world by himself, at least for some period of time, and long enough to learn how to use a sword and shield effectively.

In Pokemon, Ash was 10 years old when he started his animal abuse escapades. I guess Nintendo thinks that sends good messages.

Zidicus on
    Zidicus.png
This discussion has been closed.