As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

300: Pure, unleaded awesome

• AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, it really is. I can take the Mumakil, katana-wielding Persians, sun-blotting arrow volleys, Oracle chicks erotically dancing, blade-hand fat guys, ogre-like Immortals fighting with Leonidas. I can take all that. But a War Rhino, that's kinda pushing it isn't it?

AngelofVengeance on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, it really is. I can take the Mumakil, katana-wielding Persians, sun-blotting arrow volleys, Oracle chicks erotically dancing, blade-hand fat guys, ogre-like Immortals fighting with Leonidas. I can take all that. But a War Rhino, that's kinda pushing it isn't it?

Dude you just hate fun, admit it. It's fricken rhinos for goodness sakes. RHINOS!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, well even fun has to MAKE SENSE!

AngelofVengeance on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

This is a movie based off a comic book based off a historical event. It isn't going to be 100% accurate. Aslong as they get the basics at least I'm happy. If they want to throw in some fantasy, you know, the stuff that doesn't always have to make 100% sense, I'm totally fine with that.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

This is a movie based off a comic book based off a historical event. It isn't going to be 100% accurate. Aslong as they get the basics at least I'm happy. If they want to throw in some fantasy, you know, the stuff that doesn't always have to make 100% sense, I'm totally fine with that.

There's fantastical and stylization, then there's Oliphants.

moniker on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Think of it this way:

The movie is based on/inspired by Frank Miller's take on what a Spartan survivor of the battle might have told the folks back home after getting back. Basically he can make it sound as awesome as he wants. After all, it's not like anybody's going to come along and say, "I was there; it didn't happen that way."

Grid System on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I've always been intrigued by the Spartans. I had a pre-secondary teacher who spent a long time on them for some reason, I don't remember, but anyway I spent a long time sutdying what badass superhuman warriors they were.

There are some clips on XBL about this movie.

I think if you're interested in the Spartans, the proper thing to do would be to read a history book or something. You're not exactly going to find historical accuracy here.
    Hey, thanks. You know what? Fuck you. You know what else? Suck my dick.

I think if you're interested in what I read, the proper thing to do would be to read a book on Shut the Fuck Up or something.

What I mean to say is: I like the quasi-historical, quasi-mythical idea of the Spartans. In one of the world's most reknowned civilizations, they were known as the fucking badass destructobots of the world. There's real truth to that, and there's also probably a lot made up shit. I don't care.

Ever watched movie with ninjas in it? Really, you have? Then you are fucking hypocrite and shut up!

Yar on
    edited March 2007
    Why exactly you want a MAN to orally pleasure you is beyond me. But whatever.

Yeah, the Spartans were pretty awesome. That is, until they were repeatedly buttraped first by the Thebans and then by the Macedonians.

AngelofVengeance on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, Indiana Jones sucks.

It has nothing to do with archeology. Like, at all! What a load of shit!

It's total mockery of the ever-so-slight reality in which it is based completely devalued the movie for me from all angles! How am I supposed to watch Indy save the day when I know that real archeology has nothing to do with cracking a whip?

Taximes on
    edited March 2007
    Wait... Achillles actually was an indestructible demigod, though, right? Because otherwise I'm suing the producers of Troy.

Yar on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    Guys, Indiana Jones sucks.

It has nothing to do with archeology. Like, at all! What a load of shit!

It's total mockery of the ever-so-slight reality in which it is based completely devalued the movie for me from all angles! How am I supposed to watch Indy save the day when I know that real archeology has nothing to do with cracking a whip?
    And that scene where all the Nazi's faces melted off? Total bullshit, never happened.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Jesus you're an idiot.

IloroKamou on
    "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So...the movie will still kick ass?

I'm leaving this thread. To much debating, not enough pics of kick-assedness.

Gorilla Salad on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

Ha! I just google image searched "kick-assedness" and most of the pictures on the first result page are scenes from the movie.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

Ha! I just google image searched "kick-assedness" and most of the pictures on the first result page are scenes from the movie.
    TO THE GOOGLE!

Holy fuck, he ain't lying.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think if you're interested in what I read, the proper thing to do would be to read a book on Shut the Fuck Up or something.
    Well, that was singularly inappropriate.
    Ever watched movie with ninjas in it? Really, you have? Then you are fucking hypocrite and shut up!

How can you say, "Really, you have?" when the answer to the first question is "No"?

...okay, I'll concede that I watched those godawful TMNT movies when I was a kid, but that's it.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, a guy with blades for hands doesn't cross the line for you, but an exotic foreign animal used on the field of battle does? I bet you'll be throwing rocks at the screen when the war elephants come on screen in the upcoming Hannibal Barka movie.

Hacksaw on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

TO THE GOOGLE!

Holy fuck, he ain't lying.
    IT WOULD APPEAR AS THOUGH HE IS NOT. HOT DAMN.

Hacksaw on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, that was singularly inappropriate.
    How can you say, "Really, you have?" when the answer to the first question is "No"?

...okay, I'll concede that I watched those godawful TMNT movies when I was a kid, but that's it.

Hey.

Shut the fuck up

The first movie was brilliant.

BRILLIANT

Bloods End on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why exactly you want a MAN to orally pleasure you is beyond me. But whatever.

omg he mite be a homo lol

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Soooo like, am I the only person who's only half-way interested in this movie? Like, I'll watch it, I'll try to watch it in the theater, but more as just something to do rather than some profound movie experience I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation for.

Am I really the only one who's sorta "meh" about this thing?
    Im right there with you too, man

aquabat on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wow really? It just looks very very cool. badass even.

surprised at your lukewarm-at-best response to that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They are unclean, Variable. Shun them.

Gim on
  • Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    celery77 wrote: »
    Soooo like, am I the only person who's only half-way interested in this movie? Like, I'll watch it, I'll try to watch it in the theater, but more as just something to do rather than some profound movie experience I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation for.

Am I really the only one who's sorta "meh" about this thing?
    Im right there with you too, man

Yeah I have the same opinion on this too, though I am ready to be amazed since it's getting so much hype. It'll probably still be good if only because it has such awesome source material, but I have a feeling everyone saying how awesome it is will make me feel let down once I do actually see it.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't believe there are still people complaining about historical inaccuracy. Fucking seriously.

It's a romanticization. The entire point of the movie is to take a historical event and add monsters and rhinos and piles of corpses to make it more awesome. This is not a new thing. In fact, 300, contrary to shit like Troy, openly admits this - since Troy deliberatly tried to deromanticize the original story to make it more realistic while still trying to retain the Hollywood sensationalism, and, in doing so, completely fucked up everything.

If you're complaining about historical inaccuracies in this movie, you're completely missing the point, and you're making yourself out to be entirely ignorant, which is ironically the exact opposite of what you're trying to do.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Troy tried to apply historical 'realism' to a legendary event and produced a movie about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Hell, my only compaint about the Rhino? The fact that it isnt a tyrannasaurus! Fear the Persian War Tyranossauruses! Dinosaurs are extinct, because the Spartans killed them all at the battle of Thermopylae.

And yes, I want Leonidas to speak only in one liners and to always shout.

"Oh husband, why must you go to war"

"BECAUSE I LOVE .... FREEDOM!"

And so on.

Anyone dim witted enough to take historical insights from an action movie based on a comic deserves to have their brain filled with lies and to look like a fool.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont understand...

Why are we debating realism in a thread about "300"?

...Its a movie.

That link to a webcomig a few posts in on the front page sums it all up.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So.... IMAX. Awesome or awesometacular? I think the only way to make it better would be to spray a fine mist anytime there's blood and gore.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont understand...

...Its a movie.

People who complain about realism in historical movies don't understand that it's pretty much impossible to retain realism in movies. Was Saving Private Ryan realistic? Most people say yes, but that's far from the truth.

Anyways, I'm with the "meh" group. Yeah, I'll see it. Yeah, it'll be awesome. But it's not one of those movies you have to see right now.

James on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont understand...

...Its a movie.

Haven't you heard? Apparently from now on whenever someone makes a movie that is in any way similar to an event that happened in real life, it has to be 100% TOTALLY ACCURATE WITH NO EMBELISHMENT OR DRAMATIZATION WHATSOEVER.

Otherwise it's just total shit, apparently.

CyberJackal on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I used to take supplements for a testosterone boost before I lift weights. Now I just watch the trailer for 300 instead!

LondonBridge on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dont get me wrong... There are movies that can confuse people. Saving Private Ryan, Black hawk down etc. I can see the confusion created by those movies and the ethical considerations, agendas of the makers, politics, other bias' etc...

But we're talking about green-screen epic with mutants, war rino's, and the whole thing is stylised beyond the realm of realism...

Next you'll be telling my that in real war, people dont fight in slow motion!!!???

Are these the same people that went out and joined those Matrix cults?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    as the prince of Nigeria, I used to suffer from erectile dysfunction. now I just watch the trailer for 300 and i pop a big ol' rubbery one.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I want this movie to be as far from 9th grade classical history as possible.

Malkor on
  • Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone previously mentioned that it's not historically accurate because it's based off of what a fictional Spartan may have gone home and told his countrymen what happened. Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I mentioned that a history teacher turned me on to the awesomeness of the Spartans when I was young, and TP then pointed out that 300 isn't going to be a history lesson, and then it all went downhill.

Yar on
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I mentioned that a history teacher turned me on to the awesomeness of the Spartans when I was young, and TP then pointed out that 300 isn't going to be a history lesson, and then it all went downhill.
    That's why I love the internet.

Malkor on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait a minute, didn't the persians actually have war elephants though?
    And the Immortals aren't wielding katanas...I mean it's pretty obvious that they aren't.

Kusuguttai on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Wait a minute, didn't the persians actually have war elephants though?

Yes, if they go west and then south. Otherwise, they'd have to trade with the vile Malinese or Indians, and no one likes to give up ivory early on. War elephants fuck shit up.

/Civ4

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    well it's not JUST the persians, it's the persian army, with all the different nations that entails. Just like it's not just spartans out there, it's not just persians either.

Kusuguttai on