As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Dick Winters is the Man Day

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes, Run, it isn't about enjoying it, its about remembering it.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Run, go read Man in the High Castle or something.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes, Run, it isn't about enjoying it, its about remembering it.

Oh, Volyu.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    much like sex it's not about enjoying it

it's about bragging to the guys afterwards

FAQ on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    looks like NAC underestimated SE's desire to be baited

FAQ on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, my grand father fought to keep Europe free of the communist Slavic threat and this this is how you repay him?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Man, my grand father fought to keep Europe free of the communist Slavic threat and this this is how you repay him?

EDIT: Although I guess you guys supplied the air planes we beat the russkies asses with.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have Band of Brothers on Blu Ray, and this will be an excellent opportunity to watch it.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I have Band of Brothers on Blu Ray, and this will be an excellent opportunity to watch it.

This is essentially my primary reason to get a PS3.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I picked it up on sale a few months back, totally worth it.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »

This is essentially my primary reason to get a PS3.

That was my primary reason to get a PS3. I've played a few games on it, too, but ultimately it's good BluRay and DVD player that is quite straightforward to update and which I can play the odd game on.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, honesty time: Dick Winters is a hero. Arguments could be made that my grand father should be tried for war crimes.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The war made my grandfather deaf, as a result talking to him was very hard.

Hardly knew the man.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh wow.

Since when did google video embed too?

That's Bill Guarnere at Brecourt Manor.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    My grand father helped invade Russia.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    While we are recognizing the brave American, Canandian and British soldiers who landed at Normandy or dropped in the night before, I'd also like to remember the men who sacrificed themselves in Tunisia, Anzio, Salerno, Monte Cassino, the Phillipines, the British 1st Airborne in Arnhem, the 84 members of the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion massacred at Malmedy, the over 500,000 Soviet soldiers and civilians killed or missing at Stalingrad and the 16 million other Allied soldiers who gave their lives.

Especially close in my memory are the U.S. Marines who landed at Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Much of my family on my father's side was killed during the Second World War because they were members of the Polish resistance. From a family of fourteen, only my grandmother and great grandmother survived the war - my grandfather and step-grandfather both escaped Poland and enlisted in the Royal Army. My grandfather worked as an artilleryman, and my step-grandfather as a mechanic. Both were in Africa for much of the conflict there, and on my mother's side my grandfather was one of the few who made it back from the massacre at Dieppe. So there's a lot of military history in my family, and I think that recognizing the sacrifices made is something everyone should do.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    my favorite part of generation kill is where their convoy of humvees is speeding through a town, shooting everything that moves and that guy on the grenade launcher just completely levels an entire building.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My girlfriend's grandfather was there on Iwo Jima when they planted the flag. He was partners with a Cherokee code-talker.

Apparently after the war he was very, very nervous around anything that sounded like gunfire if he didn't know about it ahead of time (i.e. fireworks on the 4th.) One day some local kids (who knew he was a veteran) decided to play a prank and throw some firecrackers down near his feet. After crawling out from under the car he'd taken cover under, he caught up to them, pulled them out of the truck and gave them a beating. The following day the police came by to look into the matter, wanting him to press charges against the boys who'd done it. He refused, and said 'I lost too many boys in the war, I'm not going to ruin the lives of two more.'

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    How many of you have read his autobiography?

I have it, haven't read it yet but plan to after Turn Coat.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How many of you have read his autobiography?

I have it, haven't read it yet but plan to after Turn Coat.

It's really good.

He's quite humble and down to Earth, and pretty matter of fact about things. I'm not so sure he'd be all for this "hero" stuff.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

what is that book about?

I have it but never read it

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    My girlfriend's grandfather was there on Iwo Jima when they planted the flag. He was partners with a Cherokee code-talker.

Apparently after the war he was very, very nervous around anything that sounded like gunfire if he didn't know about it ahead of time (i.e. fireworks on the 4th.) One day some local kids (who knew he was a veteran) decided to play a prank and throw some firecrackers down near his feet. After crawling out from under the car he'd taken cover under, he caught up to them, pulled them out of the truck and gave them a beating. The following day the police came by to look into the matter, wanting him to press charges against the boys who'd done it. He refused, and said 'I lost too many boys in the war, I'm not going to ruin the lives of two more.'

My grandfather worked on the bomb

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

what is that book about?

Japan invades and takes over the western USA

a lot more than that, but that's what happens

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Killjoy wrote: »

what is that book about?

Japan invades and takes over the western USA

a lot more than that, but that's what happens

Well, now I have something for after Bloody April

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Germany also do the same, splits the US between two rulers.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is a good thread

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While we are recognizing the brave American, Canandian and British soldiers who landed at Normandy or dropped in the night before, I'd also like to remember the men who sacrificed themselves in Tunisia, Anzio, Salerno, Monte Cassino, the Phillipines, the British 1st Airborne in Arnhem, the 84 members of the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion massacred at Malmedy, the over 500,000 Soviet soldiers and civilians killed or missing at Stalingrad and the 16 million other Allied soldiers who gave their lives.

Especially close in my memory are the U.S. Marines who landed at Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

Oh lord so many Canadian regiments were completely obliterated, nearly to the last man, by the 1st SS Panzer.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pick up and read Steel Inferno by Micheal Reynolds. It's a book about the 1st SS Panzer Corps, their entire history, leading up to their formation to the end of the unit. The book is very very detailed and has highly respectable sources for its information.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is a good thread

Everyone should watch The World at War. It's a fantastic documentary narrated by Sir Laurence Olivier about WW2 with tons of combats footage and interviews with generals, soldiers, politicians, etc. It's god damn awesome.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dietrich was such a horrible man.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That was the movie that I saw during my only off-base pass during my 12 weeks of infantry training at Ft. Benning, Georgia. My great grandfather was in a truck in France that was hit by German mortars and died before the Berlin wall fell with German shrapnel still trying to work its way out of his skin to the day he died choking on his own blood because the shrapnel finally caused his lungs to basically explode.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pfff. The Infantry Regiment Großdeutschland was way better than the Waffen SS.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd follow Damien Lewis to hell and back. And this is mostly because of Life... but Band of Brothers was good too.

GRMike on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DICK WINTERS IS THE FUCKING MAN

WHO LED THE ATTACK ON BRECOURT MANOR? WHICH IS STILL USED A TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE OF AN ATTACK ON AN ENTRENCHED PLACE THING OR WHATEVER?!

DICK FUCKING WINTERS THAT'S WHO

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I was in the 1/506th, a senior NCO in my company had served under Robert Sink as a Private.

Weaver on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know it's not the same war and all but I seem to remember hearing about the last surviving WWI veteran dying the other day

TheySlashThem on