As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zelda Thread] E3 cometh.

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
zframesplash2e.png
Don't worry!
It's okay.
You were meant to have a sudden urge to reconnect your N64.

Everyone knows Zelda. It's one of the most popular and important franchises in the world alongside Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Mario. Since its inception on the NES in 1986, it has consistently given us some of the best games ever made. From the legendary Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, to the darker Majora's Mask and the criminally-overlooked GameBoy titles, a new Zelda has always been a prospect to excite even the most stoic gamer. And don't mention the Nintendo fanboys.

Anyway, we have news.
ZeldaNew%20Ultrahires%20small.png

This thread may be reductive if simply addressed to one image, so feel free to talk about any and all Zelda-related stuff. Speculation is cool though. Does the new steel logo mean anything? The art style follows on from Twilight Princess but seems even more gritty and/or dark. How about that girl, she doesn't look much like any Zelda. Are we going elsewhere á la Termina? She looks a lot like the MM and WW iterations of fairies. And he isn't holding a sword - what could it all mean?
Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword.
GoNintendo wrote:
What is a Zelda game? They've been having discussion at HQ. The stories have evolved over time, graphics improve, but what is the best way to move the franchise forward? Miyamoto's idea is to give the player a more impacting experience and really feel Link's journey through the game, by creating memories of the characters you meet and things you face along the way. These would be things that would differ for each person as they play their own way through, so everyone would have unique memories. How you approach a dungeon, solve a puzzle, or complete a side quest all add to this.
IGN wrote:
IGN: Does the game follow the story progression of Twilight Princess or is it something completely different?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I can't go into details except to say that it's something completely different.

Reminisce, squabble and speculate away.

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Girl is the sword

got that out of the way

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Girl is the sword

got that out of the way
    oh shi-

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Curse you internets! Why is the image not viewable on a day that I won't be at home for hours.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Curse you internets! Why is the image not viewable on a day that I won't be at home for hours.

man you should see this shit

i didn;t think nintendo could pull off the whole "link with a gun" thing, but

what can i say, it matches the monster truck he is riding in in the image that you are unable to see

Nuzak on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Much as I enjoyed Zelda games when I was younger, and I've tried to play through the newer ones... I get about 70% in and just stop playing. I don't want to collect dingleberries and ride giant chickens, or milk cows and play on waterslides.

I want a series of a dozen or so dungeons with different themes that are very difficult, and an overworld that's less about getting the super-steve grappling hook explosion arrows to blow open the giant magical fairy dragon cave so I can get a bafmodad.

dispatch.o on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    She must be a new fancy sword. The Master Sword has a yellow gem.

Midna/Navi/Ezlo talking-sword sidekick perhaps?

Adellios on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Remember when Link was left-handed? What barbaric times they were. Luckily, Twilight Princess and The Princess Sword are here to make him right-handed, instead of an inferior lefty.

Gilder on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck, I just noticed that he's got the shield in the right hand. Stop Nintendo, him being left-handed was kinda cool. D:

Edit - Hurf durf, shield in left hand.

Henroid on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i fucking love the zelda series.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Much as I love left-handed Link I couldn't play TP left-handed which seems to be why they mirrored it for Wii in the first place. Maybe even more so because I'm left-handed, too, but the movement thumbstick goes on the left hand.

I'm not sure why it was such a huge deal though. It's not like sword controls were 1:1 or anything and me waggling with the right hand couldn't equate to Link kicking ass with his left.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fuck, I just noticed that he's got the shield in the right hand. Stop Nintendo, him being left-handed was kinda cool. D:

Actually his shield is in the left-hand. That's how we know he's right-handed now.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    guys guys breaking news link is right handed

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Funny actually, they flipped the entire world to make Link right-handed for TP as they thought it would be more comfortable for players. The Gamecube version was unflipped.

It caused quite a hoo-hah at the time, but... eh, nerds.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

Actually his shield is in the left-hand. That's how we know he's right-handed now.

Sorry, was thinking fast and was dismayed.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    I hope they have a Navi pointer again that still makes noise every single time you move it.

Gilder on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i wonder if this one continues on directly from TP, ala majora's mask/phantom hourglass/adjective noun

Nuzak on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is supposed to use motion plus thingy for better 1:1

Tanolen on
    edited June 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Funny actually, they flipped the entire world to make Link right-handed for TP as they thought it would be more comfortable for players. The Gamecube version was unflipped.

I wonder if left-handed people see the world differently than us regular people.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    Tanolen wrote: »
    This game is supposed to use motion plus thingy for better 1:1

No, they're waiting to see user response to Motion Plus before implementing it in the game's design.

Henroid on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always thought of link as a different iteration each time, and link the hero was not the same from game to game. So left handed one game right the other, I mean people dont complain this much about toon link not looking like link.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    N64? More like collector's edition disc for the gamecube.

I should get that out. Though I do miss trying to hack the game with the gameshark without jostling it and crashing everything.

MKR on
    edited June 2009

I wonder if left-handed people see the world differently than us regular people.

They do. Every single left-handed person sees the world as flipped. It's very difficult for them to read.

Gilder on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spirit Tracks has no actual spirits on the tracks or tracks made of spirits. :?

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

They do. Every single left-handed person sees the world as flipped. It's very difficult for them to read.

That would explain why my best friend spends more time reading forums than I do!

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    I figured they just learned to read backwards and with the words flipped, as though they saw a different version of their native language.

MKR on
    edited June 2009
    Don't they just carry a mirror with them?

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2009
    The letters would still be upside down.

MKR on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Much as I enjoyed Zelda games when I was younger, and I've tried to play through the newer ones... I get about 70% in and just stop playing. I don't want to collect dingleberries and ride giant chickens, or milk cows and play on waterslides.

I want a series of a dozen or so dungeons with different themes that are very difficult, and an overworld that's less about getting the super-steve grappling hook explosion arrows to blow open the giant magical fairy dragon cave so I can get a bafmodad.

Omigad that last one that is bolded is really a real thing that happened for real

I played Star Fox: Adventures too!

You have been outed sir

Your move.

Kazaka on
    edited June 2009
    They should learn to walk on their heads then.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2009
    Lefties the lens of truth. It lets them see what's really written, and most of the time it's the word bombchu or 20 rupees.

Also bringing this to the thread right now, MM is superior to OoT. Your move OoT fans.

Gilder on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't mind the change from left to right, and I was wondering when we'd hear about the next console Zelda. I assumed it was going to be covered at E3 this year, since it seemed like the right amount of time since TP.

Terrendos on
    edited June 2009
    Wind Waker is better than MM.

Also, Miyamoto-san (I'm a fag) said they skipped this year's E3 in order to spend more time coming up with different ways to progress the Zelda franchise.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2009
    I can't quite decide if WW is indeed better than MM. I really love the music from WW, and it's so fluid. Then again it has those figurines, and I had to get them all. I pretty much never want to see WW again after that.

Wait, MM has the girl with the mummy dad. MM is better.

Gilder on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I really hope they're not going to take a "TP, but moreso" tack with this one. Twilight Princess was awful. At least compared to its predecessors.

Also lefties4lyfe. SINISTRE VIVAT

Rust on
    edited June 2009
    I can't quite decide if WW is indeed better than MM. I really love the music from WW, and it's so fluid. Then again it has those figurines, and I had to get them all. I pretty much never want to see WW again after that.

Wait, MM has the girl with the mummy dad. MM is better.
    Wind Waker > All other console Zeldas > N64 Zeldas

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Majora's Mask > Everything

YggiDee on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LEFTIES REPRESENT

VALVEjunkie on
  • ZidicusZidicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lefties the lens of truth. It lets them see what's really written, and most of the time it's the word bombchu or 20 rupees.

Also bringing this to the thread right now, MM is superior to OoT. Your move OoT fans.

Totally agree. MM is still my favorite to this day.

I wonder if this will be better then Link's Crossbow Training.

Maybe, he'll have a crossbow!? :O

Zidicus on
    Zidicus.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fun Fact: Nintendo originally rationalized Link's flipped sprite (and consequent sword/shield arm switching) by saying he kept his shield pointed towards Death Mountain out of superstition.

the_more_you_know2-2475-1.jpg

Delzhand on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Fun Fact: Nintendo originally rationalized Link's flipped sprite (and consequent sword/shield arm switching) by saying he kept his shield pointed towards Death Mountain out of superstition.

the_more_you_know2-2475-1.jpg
    I remember that.

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.