As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zelda Thread] E3 cometh.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Link has a mysterious new friend to help guide him around everywhere and help add some humor or snarkiness to Link's quest!

How... Predictable. I'm thinking that his new buddy will eventually warm up to him to the point they'll have a very tearful departure by the time they kill the big bad.
    I'LL BUY EVERY COPY ON EVERY SYSTEM OVER AND OVER CUZ I <3 ZELDA SO VERY MUCH.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I'm gonna play through MM again, starting tonight. It's been a while. Definitely my favourite over OoT.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn them. Damn them for only giving me a piece of concept art and not telling us how far in development this new Zelda is. I am going to be waiting for what seems like forever.

Lux782 on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Much as I enjoyed Zelda games when I was younger, and I've tried to play through the newer ones... I get about 70% in and just stop playing. I don't want to collect dingleberries and ride giant chickens, or milk cows and play on waterslides.

I want a series of a dozen or so dungeons with different themes that are very difficult, and an overworld that's less about getting the super-steve grappling hook explosion arrows to blow open the giant magical fairy dragon cave so I can get a bafmodad.

Omigad that last one that is bolded is really a real thing that happened for real

I played Star Fox: Adventures too!

You have been outed sir

Your move.

Well, I at least felt the desire to play SFA to completion. Much as I tend to enjoy the new Zelda games initially, when you get the first 3-4 dungeons in rapid succession, as soon as it opens up into some sort of silly collection adventure with lots of travel time, I just sort of shelf it.

dispatch.o on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    I really hope they're not going to take a "TP, but moreso" tack with this one. Twilight Princess was awful.

15 pages from now, let it be remembered that this post started it.

Tig on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For its few shortcomings, I enjoyed Wind Waker thoroughly.

I thought Ocarina of Time was good, but not the best LoZ I've played.

Link's Awakening is my favourite LoZ game ever.

*Battens down the hatches.*

Dunxco on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad the concept art is reminiscent of Twilight Princess, what with adult-ish Link and all that. Twilight Princess is tied with Ocarina of Time as my favorite/the best Zelda, and by natural extension, favorite game. So it's aaaaaalllllll good.

Also, I propose a rule for this thread - you can say how much you love a certain Zelda game, but how about not shit talking the other ones? It'd save us (read - me) so much trouble and blood pressure medication.

Graviija on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really think there's so much talent working on the Zelda games, they all have so much potential and for the most part have a pretty awesome world-style. I hope they go for more than a handful of dungeons and fifty hours of running water jugs to assholes so they can fix bridges.

dispatch.o on
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Funny actually, they flipped the entire world to make Link right-handed for TP as they thought it would be more comfortable for players. The Gamecube version was unflipped.

It caused quite a hoo-hah at the time, but... eh, nerds.

I wonder if left-handed people see the world differently than us regular people.

They do. Every single left-handed person sees the world as flipped. It's very difficult for them to read.

I'm not too sure about that. I'm left-handed but I read just fine. I believe you're thinking of a form of dyslexia.

unknownsome1 on
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Like all Zelda games released in the past, I'm looking forward to this one. I just got to finish Twilight Princess someday.

unknownsome1 on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Funny actually, they flipped the entire world to make Link right-handed for TP as they thought it would be more comfortable for players. The Gamecube version was unflipped.

I wonder if left-handed people see the world differently than us regular people.

They do. Every single left-handed person sees the world as flipped. It's very difficult for them to read.

I'm not too sure about that. I'm left-handed but I read just fine. I believe you're thinking of a form of dyslexia.

Whoosh!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2009
    Like all Zelda games released in the past, I'm looking forward to this one. I just got to finish Twilight Princess someday.

I'm opting not to finish it. The yeti in the frozen mansion was one of the most fun experiences with a Legend of Zelda video game I've ever had, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of tarnishing it by possibly not enjoying the rest of the game as much. A strange idea I know, but still.

Dunxco on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope the entire overworld is a lost woods. That would be fantastic.

Food on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Poor Link, always getting cock-blocked at the end.

Lenore03 on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I always thought of link as a different iteration each time, and link the hero was not the same from game to game. So left handed one game right the other, I mean people dont complain this much about toon link not looking like link.

Usually, but a couple games have persistent Links, like OoT/MM and WW/PH. And while there were different Links, they usually had consistent traits from version to version, one of which was left-handedness, until Twilight Princess came along.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Also, I propose a rule for this thread - you can say how much you love a certain Zelda game, but how about not shit talking the other ones? It'd save us (read - me) so much trouble and blood pressure medication.

Can we at least trash on Zelda II? Nobodly likes that piece of garbage. :P

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

I'm all for that, since I recently had the crap beaten out of me and have to replenish my supply of crap, but let's make sure it doesn't hamper healthy, intellectual debate. Observe!

Player A: The artistic style of Wind Waker certainly had merits, but I felt it was let down by the sailing sections that tended to bore me.
    Player B: Personally I found the sailing quite fun for enhancing the effect of a vast, empty world. Plus it all makes sense in context of the story.

Rather than...

Player A: Wind Waker? More like Wind Wanker OLOLOLOL.
    Player B: No ur mum OoT 4 lyfe!

Dunxco on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Twilight Princess: All the wolf segments.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually I'd love for them to just run with the idea that there's no real connection between the different Links other than some coincidental traits. As in you'll get to fully customise him. Left handed, right handed, black or white. Whatever you want.

Dark haired female Link for the win.

Lenore03 on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe the fact that Link doesn't have a sword means we'll actually have multiple choices for different weapons!

Ever since I first got the Megaton Hammer in OoT, I've wished that was Link's main weapon. Or a spear. I'd like to see Phalanx Link.

Terrendos on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Wind Waker, but for some reason I always thought I'd like it even more if there was at least one big island that took up multiple squares on the map. I dunno what that what would add to the game, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

Whoosh!

Clear evidence that reading comprehension is lost on them!

Henroid on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fun fact: The only Zelda thus far without a red 'Zelda' on the logo is the purple text of Majora's Mask (and 4 Swords / Oracle of Ages, but those don't really count. 4 Swords wasn't a 'proper' Zelda, and Ages (blue) had to do it to counter the theme of Seasons, which was red).

This steely logo intrigues me.

Canon-wise, Link and Zelda do not have continuity unless expressly shown. So OoT -> MM, sure. But this may not be the same link from TP (though admittedly my intuition is that it is). The official version is that Link and Zelda continually recur throughout history, often only meeting at times of crisis.

But remember: trying to tackle Hyrulian history is sisyphean in extremis.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I like Wind Waker, but for some reason I always thought I'd like it even more if there was at least one big island that took up multiple squares on the map. I dunno what that what would add to the game, though.

Depth.

MKR on
    edited June 2009
    Zing.

Also, I initially thought the whole 'she's the Master Sword' thing was pretty dumb and reading too much into his empty palm, but uh..

speculation.jpg

Saying blade = head is dumb, but details like the gold lines and criss-cross leggings/hilt go a long way to raise my confidence in such theories.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »

I'm opting not to finish it. The yeti in the frozen mansion was one of the most fun experiences with a Legend of Zelda video game I've ever had, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of tarnishing it by possibly not enjoying the rest of the game as much. A strange idea I know, but still.

After the Water Temple, suddenly the game changes and gets better and better, until a final climactic battle of epic proportions...

No, really. I kinda thought the game was boring until after the Water Temple. Then suddenly everything picks up and suddenly you in the _____ above ______ with dual _________ on a crazy ________ island fighting a fucking ______!

Plus the story is awesomesauce.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fun fact: The only Zelda thus far without a red 'Zelda' on the logo is the purple text of Majora's Mask (and 4 Swords / Oracle of Ages, but those don't really count. 4 Swords wasn't a 'proper' Zelda, and Ages (blue) had to do it to counter the theme of Seasons, which was red).

This steely logo intrigues me.

Canon-wise, Link and Zelda do not have continuity unless expressly shown. So OoT -> MM, sure. But this may not be the same link from TP (though admittedly my intuition is that it is). The official version is that Link and Zelda continually recur throughout history, often only meeting at times of crisis.

But remember: trying to tackle Hyrulian history is sisyphean in extremis.

That's kinda the point though. It's a hero reborn time and time again. It's a big play on those storylines you see where it's like, "Oh yeah, these people / this person was a legend" and then tada you or someone in your team is that legend's descendant or whatever.

The Legend of Zelda series takes it to the next step - A hero of legend, gets reborn, and that reborn one becomes the hero of legend future generations will look on, and it repeats.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    Zing.

Also, I initially thought the whole 'she's the Master Sword' thing was pretty dumb and reading too much into his empty palm, but uh..

speculation.jpg

Saying blade = head is dumb, but details like the gold lines and criss-cross leggings/hilt go a long way to raise my confidence in such theories.

I think people have been saying "She's the sword," not the Master Sword. But if she is the Master Sword, well, I guess we ought to ask her what it's like being stuck in Ganon's head.

Henroid on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is dumb.

Let me know when a game has actually been announced.

tofu on
    edited June 2009
    Hi, tofu, glad you could make a contribution.

A Team ICO thread was started on the basis of one picture. So is this one. If you bothered reading the OP you'd know that this is meant to be a general Zelda discussion thread, too.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited June 2009
    My rage is directed only at Nintendo.

tofu on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I am getting a little sick of the sequels. And this is probably well past the point where most other people have fostered a little blue-white ember of hate.

Rust on
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »

I feel you. I was getting tired of being told our next Zelda fix was the train one, and now we know there's a console game on the horizon. And yet we know NOTHING.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »

I feel you. I was getting tired of being told our next Zelda fix was the train one, and now we know there's a console game on the horizon. And yet we know NOTHING.

Hopefully they won't ruin the game with waggle.

tofu on
  • ZeromaeusZeromaeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1. I don't think she's the sword. Not yet. There's not enough material to go on. Honestly, she just looks like a Twilight Princess re-stylizing of the Fairy Queen from Wind Waker.

2. Link is left handed. Always was, always will be. Even on the Wii. The Wii secretly contains an alternate universe where right is left and left is right, but we perceive it as the same as our world due to our inability to peer through dimensional rifts.

3. Link, Ganon, and Zelda are parts of an eternal loop of reincarnation, trapped in the ultimate battle of good versus evil where evil seizes power only to be swatted down by the wisdom and courage of the people, who ultimately fail at finishing off the evil, allowing it to return -hmhmhmhmhmm- years later.

4. OoT is the greatest Zelda in my opinion if not just for the extremely nostalgic feeling I get whenever I play it.

5. I want more Vaati. Evil giant floating eyeball with mastery over the forces of nature for the win.

6. All of the Zelda games were good (Zelda II is on the fence). Except those ones that weren't made for the Wii.

7. "Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess..."
    -Link

Zeromaeus on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damnit! I was going to start playing Windwaker (because it's the best one) tonight and found out that you need a GC memory card to play GC games on the Wii. I loaned my GC with card to my sister, ugh.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited June 2009
    I am getting a little sick of the sequels. And this is probably well past the point where most other people have fostered a little blue-white ember of hate.

When you say sequels, do you mean franchises as long as Zelda / Mario, or do you mean like "Here's Wind Waker Link again in his next adventure!"

The latter I can agree with just about. The train one better be his last appearance. It's not that I don't like WW Link, it's that it'd start drifting to that EA / Activision / Square habit of raping the shit out of something. I guess that could be argued now since the series is 20 years old but at least it has 20 years worth to get as many titles as it does now, as opposed to GUITAR HERO THREE TIMES IN A YEAR.

Henroid on
  • ZeromaeusZeromaeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Damnit! I was going to start playing Windwaker (because it's the best one) tonight and found out that you need a GC memory card to play GC games on the Wii. I loaned my GC with card to my sister, ugh.

Throughout my -hmhmhmhmhm- years with my GameCube, I've amassed 6 memory cards. Two no longer function and one was stolen. I still have those three, though. Those glorious, glorious three.

Oh, by the way, three heart challenge anybody?

Zeromaeus on
    edited June 2009
    I want a Wind Waker Link in his Next Adventure sequel in HD.

tofu on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

When you say sequels, do you mean franchises as long as Zelda / Mario, or do you mean like "Here's Wind Waker Link again in his next adventure!"

The latter I can agree with just about. The train one better be his last appearance. It's not that I don't like WW Link, it's that it'd start drifting to that EA / Activision / Square habit of raping the shit out of something. I guess that could be argued now since the series is 20 years old but at least it has 20 years worth to get as many titles as it does now, as opposed to GUITAR HERO THREE TIMES IN A YEAR.

No I want WW Link to be the new permanent Link. I'm not even kidding.

I'm just combing my memory for the last original IP that Nintendo's released, and all I can come up with is Pikmin. Which has already been sequelized. That isn't a word but it will do.

Rust on
This discussion has been closed.