As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 06-03-09 "Crime is Doomed"

• Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, here's a thought. Could Pym's magic laboratory be his form of subconscious penance for Ultron, much in the same way the Winchester Mansion was a penance for the creation of the Henry rifle?

Both places have many rooms, both are created by people recently having suffered a loss and suffering from mental illness, and both parties are connected to something that has brought death and pain to thousands.

KidDork on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those are some interesting parallels, but I think it might just be a coincidence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious about something. The Punisher: Naked Kill one-shot was written by the guy who's taking over BP after Hudlin, and is by various measures a capable writer. That said, I can't stand reading MAX anymore and I probably should have stopped a while ago. But that is what that is and I didn't read this. So is it any good or what? Maberry seemed to be self-fellating himself in an interview pretty well about how he was going to have Frank do shit he'd done IRL (...).

I bought it blind and I liked it ok. I got halfway through before realizing this is the same guy who wrote Patient Zero, which is the last book I read (speaking of self-fellating, Frank uses a copy of Patient Zero to kill a guy).

If you don't like MAX Punisher, you probably won't like this too much though. It would have fit in fine as a MAX issue, actually.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Ok.....

Wow the Pym hate is strong in this one.

Ultron was created by Pym scaning his brain patterns into a cyber-brain(yes I looked it up). How could he have seen that his creation(based on his brainwaves), would develop a Oedipus complex and turn into a sociopathic serial killing robot? This was before all the crazy shit Pym got heaped on him(going insane, slapping Jan). Ultron going crazy was perhaps predictable in hindsight, but hindsight is 20.20. Also when is Ultron going to be responible for its own actions?

That's all well and good, but Pym could have easily asked Reed Richards, or some other reasonably sane super genius, to double check his work, and make sure it wouldn't become a murder-bot upon activation. Instead of seeking outside help, he recklessly plunged ahead with it, and Ultron was the result. Not saying he's a villain, just saying that he should have been more responsible, is all.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If scientists weren't reckless, half the comic book origins out there wouldn't exist. The Fantastic Four would have observed that cosmic radiation through a special telescope and gathered readings on it through a drone, and Spider-Man would have had a really boring field trip.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If scientists weren't reckless, half the comic book origins out there wouldn't exist. The Fantastic Four would have observed that cosmic radiation through a special telescope and gathered readings on it through a drone, and Spider-Man would have had a really boring field trip.

Exactly, plus how often do Reed or Tony have someone else go over their work? I'd imagine if you are one of the 5 smartest people on Earth you are only asking someone to look at your stuff if you want to show off.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Hey Pym, I'm worried that my new invention is too awesome. Have a look and tell me if your eyes can't handle it."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As much as I dislike Pym, the douchetastic 90s are why Ultron committed genocide and to be frank was able to subjugate the Kree thanks to its merging with the Phalanx (... and Extremis Tony).

I was skimming through comicsbulletin and noticed a review of NA Reunion that mentioned the end reminded them of Kill Bill vol. 1 (the club). Bullshit. The end was basically the same as the end of Mr. & Mrs. Smith (which makes sense since McCann referred to it a lot in the run-up) only with Clint using a bow and he and Bobbi mow down a metric fuckton of AIM goons while coming away unscathed. That was weak even for a week book in a weak mini.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Hey Pym, I'm worried that my new invention is too awesome. Have a look and tell me if your eyes can't handle it."

"Hey Pym, this is what real science looks like. I just thought you might like to see it, because you're never going to be able to create any for yourself"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Marvel Multiverse: where OSHA is a misspelling of Ocean!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not like Hank set out to build a killing machine. Ultron was just an experiment in artificial intelligence that ended up being more intelligent than expected. Shortly thereafter, possibly before Ultron even became homicidal, the machine erased Pym's memory of ever having created it and then set out on its own.

Hell you can't even really get on Pym for safety procedures either since he didn't even turn Ultron on! It just happened while Ultron was unplugged mind you. You know, if you think about it, you could easily retcon Ultron's origin to like Loki or Doom fucking with the Avengers cause JESUS it makes more sense that way than for Pym's little robot to come to life spontaneously and have it use mind control rays in less than a minute of life.

MarkGoodhart on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As much as I dislike Pym, the douchetastic 90s are why Ultron committed genocide and to be frank was able to subjugate the Kree thanks to its merging with the Phalanx (... and Extremis Tony).

I was skimming through comicsbulletin and noticed a review of NA Reunion that mentioned the end reminded them of Kill Bill vol. 1 (the club). Bullshit. The end was basically the same as the end of Mr. & Mrs. Smith (which makes sense since McCann referred to it a lot in the run-up) only with Clint using a bow and he and Bobbi mow down a metric fuckton of AIM goons while coming away unscathed. That was weak even for a week book in a weak mini.

So are they together in the end or what? Did they split them up just for fake tension? I take it this is after the recent NA arc?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

So are they together in the end or what? Did they split them up just for fake tension? I take it this is after the recent NA arc?
    At the end they're back together, but I think the vibe they're trying to create is that the two characters are starting their relationship over. They do kiss, then the end of the last issue has them with some new team of operatives, about to do some unspecified mission of do-goodery, and Clint says something like, "before we go bust in there, can I take you to get dinner later?" She accepts, and then their team wooshes in to go do whatever and that's the end.

Anyway yeah that sucked.

desc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Unspecified, my ass. The story ends with them about to jump out of a helicopter with a team of WCA operatives (WCA being made up of some of the SHIELD agents kidnapped by the Skrulls) to depose an eastern European despot who rigged an election and is running a business on the side in the field of weapons laundering, which I guess is like money laundering for illegal weapons or something, by means of a snatch and grab with the intent of delivering him... somewhere else. Oh, and their plan is to broadcast the whole live in a plot to reveal why they're taking this dude down.

So the last panel shows them rappelling face-first from the helicopter down to the ground, which is just another bit of stupidity. So, yeah, it definitely was a turd. I can't even get myself to give credit for the beginning of the issue where Bobbi and Monica Rapaccini fight because why bother.

Also, I forgot to mention, all of the arrows Clint needs to take down an army of AIM baddies? They emerge from Bobbi's "fur" coat like porcupine quills.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    But think of all that thank-god-you're-alive sex hes gonna get off Kitty and MJ.

Seriously

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    durrhurr i complain about ultimatum when it comes out but i buy every issue so that marvel keeps on putting loeb on hi profile projekts!

Some people still want to see how a line-changing book is going to turn out, shock and awe

The desire to see how it ends and how bad an immensely popular line will be fucked up does no preclude it from being insulted sorry

Basically people like you are infinitely more irritating when it comes to this shit
    Then go to Wikipedia or something. I hate when people buy shit that's awful like Ultimatum just because Marvel has convinced you that you need to buy it. There are a ton of quality books out there that don't get the support they need because people spend their money on crap like this instead.

Yes let me go to Wikipedia where descriptions of events rarely make sense

And those three dollars, which I wouldn't spend anyway because if I like a book, I'm already reading it, are really going to bankrupt Marvel

Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious about something. The Punisher: Naked Kill one-shot was written by the guy who's taking over BP after Hudlin, and is by various measures a capable writer. That said, I can't stand reading MAX anymore and I probably should have stopped a while ago. But that is what that is and I didn't read this. So is it any good or what? Maberry seemed to be self-fellating himself in an interview pretty well about how he was going to have Frank do shit he'd done IRL (...).

I enjoyed it but then again I generally enjoy Punisher MAX

I think it's gotten a lot better since Ennis left and they brought in these other dudes to write it

Me Too! on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually Ultimatum is 4 dollars, but I do agree with you that people take the whole thing a bit too seriously. I can understand someone hating it but I don't think it's worth getting that worked up over. I know people make the argument that it's ruined the Ultimate Universe but I think the Ultimate Comics reboot will decide that.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Exactly

I mean is it good? not particularly

But it's five months, and it's almost over, and it's a pretty big shake-up in the Ultimate universe, and I'd like to know why all the shit that I see happening in USM is, you know, happening

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Actually Ultimatum is 4 dollars, but I do agree with you that people take the whole thing a bit too seriously. I can understand someone hating it but I don't think it's worth getting that worked up over. I know people make the argument that it's ruined the Ultimate Universe but I think the Ultimate Comics reboot will decide that.

The Ultimate Comics Reboot probably won't bring back all the characters that were killed.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Can anyone vouch for the quality of Dark Reign: Fantastic Four?

Cuz this is awesome.
    DRFF03-024025j4.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    who's the artist there? I really dig the classic way he's drawing venom, very similar to when Kraven wore spidey's suit in Last Hunt.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Now can Norman Osborn bypass all the security that Pym was talking about having to defeat?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not like Hank set out to build a killing machine. Ultron was just an experiment in artificial intelligence that ended up being more intelligent than expected. Shortly thereafter, possibly before Ultron even became homicidal, the machine erased Pym's memory of ever having created it and then set out on its own.

Hell you can't even really get on Pym for safety procedures either since he didn't even turn Ultron on! It just happened while Ultron was unplugged mind you. You know, if you think about it, you could easily retcon Ultron's origin to like Loki or Doom fucking with the Avengers cause JESUS it makes more sense that way than for Pym's little robot to come to life spontaneously and have it use mind control rays in less than a minute of life.

really, historically, pym is the worst scientist alive. he discovers magic particles that can make things shrink so his first instinct is to...shoot himself and his girlfriend up with them

good one man. hope that shit isn't carcinogenic.

in actual motw news, batman and robin was fucking awesome, but i think that's mostly been covered.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    who's the artist there? I really dig the classic way he's drawing venom, very similar to when Kraven wore spidey's suit in Last Hunt.

Sean Chen. He did the X-Men: The End series and Kurt Busiek's Iron Man run.

Very good artist, not quite monthly, but a 9 issues a year kind of artist.

FF Dark Reign may be worth picking up, because it seems pretty good from the scans since it came out. I also wouldn't mind Franklin being like Ben and Johnny more as far as characterization, as Val seems to be more like Reed and Sue ever since she was revealed to be a super genius.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

This is actually the ending to
    Ultimates 3

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The Ultimate Comics Reboot probably won't bring back all the characters that were killed.

I didn't mean resurrecting dead characters, I meant telling good stories. Avengers and Spider-man should be good of course and I bet you can safely ignore the two Loeb series and not miss anything. With Frank Cho and Art Adams doing art duties it's not like they will be monthly anyway, no matter what Marvel thinks.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

And then Loeb moves onto ruining something else.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Cuz this is awesome.
    DRFF03-024025j4.jpg

It's okay, but not really great. I've been reading it, but at this point I would advise people to just get the trade when that comes out.

desc on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Servo wrote: »

really, historically, pym is the worst scientist alive. he discovers magic particles that can make things shrink so his first instinct is to...shoot himself and his girlfriend up with them

good one man. hope that shit isn't carcinogenic.

in actual motw news, batman and robin was fucking awesome, but i think that's mostly been covered.

That was something that cracked me up after House of M... I think it was in Initiative where they were basically saying with no mutants the USA automatically wins the superhuman race, because nowhere else has their level of dodgy scientific lab accidents and chemical spills etc which create new superhumans.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone have scans of the Ultimatum Dormammu vs Strange fight?

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Cuz this is awesome.
    DRFF03-024025j4.jpg

I would say the main flaw is Reed being all, "But Civil War and Secret Invasion are my fault, because I am infallible and a genius!" when if he's so smart, he knows that's not the case.

It still has some pretty amazing moments in it.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DraXXXen wrote: »

http://blog.comicbookrevolution.net/2009/06/comic-book-review-ultimatum-4.html

Its got some scans, including Strange's head popping like an overripe grape.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wootloops wrote: »
    DraXXXen wrote: »

http://blog.comicbookrevolution.net/2009/06/comic-book-review-ultimatum-4.html

Its got some scans, including Strange's head popping like an overripe grape.

So do you think Marvel knew Loeb was going to be writing a snuff fanfic when they gave him Ultimatum?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yep.

I bet if you read some old interviews or listen to him on Word Balloon he would mention getting to kill a bunch of people because I could swear he did on one of his WB interviews.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think calling Ultimatum a snuff comic is really accurate, at least to most people I hope. Technically you could call Infinite Crisis the same thing in that regard.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't really think calling Ultimatum a snuff comic is really accurate, at least to most people I hope. Technically you could call Infinite Crisis the same thing in that regard.

Sorry, but when killing off the character has no impact on the story whatsoever, it's a snuff comic.

Not sure what you're referring to with Infinite Crisis, but if you're referring to Superboy, you are simply comparing apples and shit.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There were a few people that died in Infinite Crisis. Superman-2, Connor Kent, Wally, Bart.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Doesn't snuff imply that you get sexually aroused at the deaths? Although I don't know Loeb's personal life, I doubt he wrote it with that in mind. And I wasn't saying Infinite Crisis was bad, just that it had a lot of graphic violence in it like Ultimatum.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would say Identity Crisis is closer.

Fencingsax on
This discussion has been closed.