As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also want to point out that Madden fans still, in fact, look forward to shelling out 60$ a year for an updated game. Sales are down a little, but not *that* much.

The people who use that as an example of corporate badness are always the fools who have no interest in sports in the first place. Why not pick on WoW if you really want to harp on annoying pricing structures? Oh that's right you're giant nerds who think WoW is amazzzzzing.

Hockey Johnston on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No the simple thing is if we could choose to not buy the first watered down poorly supported game so we could then buy the second.

Little too late though.

Keep being a dumb bitch though.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I also want to point out that Madden fans still, in fact, look forward to shelling out 60$ a year for an updated game. Sales are down a little, but not *that* much.

The people who use that as an example of corporate badness are always the fools who have no interest in sports in the first place. Why not pick on WoW if you really want to harp on annoying pricing structures? Oh that's right you're giant nerds who think WoW is amazzzzzing.
    That's just because Madden fans are a bunch of tools, that are usually compiled of drunk frat douches.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009

That's just because Madden fans are a bunch of tools, that are usually compiled of drunk frat douches.

Sarcasm?

Hockey Johnston on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    No the simple thing is if we could choose to not buy the first watered down poorly supported game so we could then buy the second.

Little too late though.

There's that sense of entitlement again.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited June 2009
    yeah, i suppose you're right. I think valve has given so much for free, that people have become conditioned to it. They expect to get all this great new content for free.
    DUUUUUUUUR BAAAA DURRRRRRRRR BAAA DURRRRRRRRRR

once again, PEOPLE, it's not that we expected jack shit until Gabe opened his fat mouth and was like,

"NARF NARF WE WILL GIVES YOU GUYS L4D CONTENT YAYYYYYY"

then he doesn't.

It's like the whole community forgot we were SUPPOSED to get content and now everyone has a huge hard on for L4D 1 1/2.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    then he doesn't.

It's like the whole community forgot we were SUPPOSED to get content and now everyone has a huge hard on for L4D 1 1/2.

Has the world ended and I'm just not aware of it? I figured there was still plenty more time to deliver content to both games, especially considering they've increased the size of the development team.

• thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

poorly supported? Constant updates have been applied since launch to fix all of the small problems people were having with the game; infected respawns to gain health, melee spam, NM5 ramp, smoker instant kills. I could continue but wont.
    A lack of a large amount of new content does not mean the game was poorly supported.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hockey stop pidgeon holing everyone. You're being a douche and not helping the situation.

I'm upset at the fact they SAID they'll release new campaigns, maps, and may other things for L4D1. They've release one small Survival map and a mode that recycles used areas. And now Turtlerock is releasing a full priced sequel that in many eyes (including mine) view as an expansion. Just because you can release all the campaigns all at once doesn't mean you have to. Would it have been as difficult to release each campaign seperatly? Would it been challenging to release different survivor skins seperately? No, not at all. It's More of a marketing ploy and another quick buck.

And I don't plan to buy the sequel. I'm just going to hate when the game I DID buy only a few months ago turns into a ghost town.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    poorly supported? Constant updates have been applied since launch to fix all of the small problems people were having with the game; infected respawns to gain health, melee spam, NM5 ramp, smoker instant kills. I could continue but wont.
    A lack of a large amount of new content does not mean the game was poorly supported.
    Spawning tanks in ridiculous spots, while on fire, in front of the minigun all the time.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Little too late though.

Watered down? Are you seriously suggesting they watered down left 4 dead 1 and put that content in left 4 dead 2? Do you have any source to back you up here?

Gumpy on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People seem to be forgetting that they just completed the first game in April.

No other company could get away with that level of bullshit unharmed.

DualEdge on
    edited June 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Hockey stop pidgeon holing everyone. You're being a douche and not helping the situation.

I'm upset at the fact they SAID they'll release new campaigns, maps, and may other things for L4D1. They've release one small Survival map and a mode that recycles used areas. And now Turtlerock is releasing a full priced sequel that in many eyes (including mine) view as an expansion. Just because you can release all the campaigns all at once doesn't mean you have to. Would it have been as difficult to release each campaign seperatly? Would it been challenging to release different survivor skins seperately? No, not at all. It's More of a marketing ploy and another quick buck.

And I don't plan to buy the sequel. I'm just going to hate when the game I DID buy only a few months ago turns into a ghost town.

OMG you've gotta be kidding. I'm the nice one in this thread while other people are berating up a storm.

Hockey Johnston on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's More of a marketing ploy and another quick buck.

1: What was the first quick buck?

2: It isn't going to turn into a ghost town, there are so many fans who are pledging to stick with L4D1. Giant steam groups and everything

Gumpy on
    edited June 2009

I agree with this man, it's very un-valve and is very quick buckish.

There's way too many L4D pubbies that are HORRIBLE at the game and can't even get simple mechanics down, that are like, "NARF L4D2 is going to be sooooo amazing! Now watch as I get slapped to death by zombies and my teammate is mauled right next to me."

There is time left for updates, but I just don't see it happening to be honest. They need to lube up the royal, erected cock that is L4D2 for the bandwagon masses.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009

I agree with this man, it's very un-valve and is very quick buckish.

There's way too many L4D pubbies that are HORRIBLE at the game and can't even get simple mechanics down, that are like, "NARF L4D2 is going to be sooooo amazing! Now watch as I get slapped to death by zombies and my teammate is mauled right next to me."

There is time left for updates, but I just don't see it happening to be honest. They need to lube up the royal, erected cock that is L4D2.

Now you're blaming Valve for the people that play the game? How pathetic is that? I don't even think you know what you're rightly bitching about anymore.

edited June 2009
    Now you're blaming Valve for the people that play the game? How pathetic is that? I don't even think you know what you're rightly bitching about anymore.
    LOL I'm making a point. I'm not blaming Valve, but come on, a little quick on release?

These guys haven't even had the chance to get used to the game yet and they're already boasting about how awesome L4D2 is! I've heard this on several accounts, they're just SO amped for L4D2.

I can also say what is up with all you people defending Valve? Sure we all love Valve, that's why we're here, but you all are witnessing lameness being played out in front of you like a play.

I've been a dedicated Valve fan for 10+ years and I still consider them my favorite video game company. That's why it's such a shock and so disappointing to most of us, we've been in love with their style for such a long time.

---- Like I said, there's still plenty of time for an update for L4D, but I don't see it happening with all the hype over L4D2. Especially since they said a specific date already, I'm sure they're grinding out as much work as they can.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009
    I can also say what is up with all you people defending Valve? You all are witnessing lameness being played out in front of us like a play.

What is up? What's up is I'm witnessing the same histrionic shitstorm that surrounding the release and implementation of Steam, and that turned out aces.

I'm just tired of seeing people acting with a smug sense of entitlement over something that nobody in no way owes them. If you bought L4D you got more than your money's worth in the initial release. I understand Valve promised more content for L4D, and if anyone is jumping the gun, it's people crying foul on not getting that content.

Give the company a goddamn chance to deliver it and stop acting as though you are entitled to it like a wedding dowry.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can also say what is up with all you people defending Valve? You all are witnessing lameness being played out in front of us like a play.

What is up? What's up is I'm witnessing the same histrionic shitstorm that surrounding the release and implementation of Steam, and that turned out aces.

I'm just tired of seeing people acting with a smug sense of entitlement over something that nobody in no way owes them. If you bought L4D you got more than your money's worth in the initial release. I understand Valve promised more content for L4D, and if anyone is jumping the gun, it's people crying foul on not getting that content.

Give the company a goddamn chance to deliver it and stop acting as though you are entitled to it like a wedding dowry.

You're a cool guy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Four maps and two game modes for $45(pre-order discount)? Call it entitlement if you want, but my purchase was based entirely on Valve's record for adding new things to the game. I appreciate all the bug fixes and combat balancing, but the only "addition" has been survival mode... which isn't much to talk about. And sure, they may add things in the future. But the game before L4D2 launches still feels only part of a game that still doesn't quite work right.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "It just became very clear that this was a cohesive, singular statement we wanted to make, not a more slow update thing... too much stuff was tied together with too many other things. The Common Infected—now there is destruction in different parts of their body, to ship all the new Common Infected, even with an update, would be a huge thing."

So, to ship JUST the changes to the common infected and their models would be way too much to handle in an update.

Shit, I shudder to think what trying to release one of the new campaigns would be like, especially with the shit they're talking about for them.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    I don't see what all the hate is about. The amount of new content given in L4D2 is enough to warrant a $50 price tag. (chainsaws, come on people)

The hate is about people disagreeing with your statement here.

Then they should choose not to buy the fucking game at full price. It's that simple. Proposing a retarded online boycott is childish and histrionic.

Fixed, and limed.

For fucks sake people. Has there ever been a valve release that wasn't marked down within 2-3 months?

I would imagine that they expected the community to be surprised, but I'm pretty sure this type of outrage wasn't what they were expecting. The good thing about this is that maybe they'll make damn sure to make this sequel worthy. If they don't, DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME.

The more people that wait to buy the game, the likelihood of the half price weekend coming sooner, or at least within the timeframe that valve wants to be able to say "we sold X copies in X weeks." Because after the shitstorm that has happened with the announcement, they'll want us to know that they were doing the right thing afterall.

Roland_tHTG on
    edited June 2009
    I don't see what all the hate is about. The amount of new content given in L4D2 is enough to warrant a $50 price tag. (chainsaws, come on people)

Then they should choose not to buy the fucking game at full price. It's that simple. Proposing a retarded online boycott is childish and histrionic.

Fixed, and limed.

For fucks sake people. Has there ever been a valve release that wasn't marked down within 2-3 months?

I would imagine that they expected the community to be surprised, but I'm pretty sure this type of outrage wasn't what they were expecting. The good thing about this is that maybe they'll make damn sure to make this sequel worthy. If they don't, DON'T BUY THE FUCKING GAME.

The more people that wait to buy the game, the likelihood of the half price weekend coming sooner, or at least within the timeframe that valve wants to be able to say "we sold X copies in X weeks." Because after the shitstorm that has happened with the announcement, they'll want us to know that they were doing the right thing afterall.

But...but...but...if we make noise now, we'll actually change something, Roland!!!

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
    edited June 2009
    so what's the difference between not buying the game and boycotting it?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited June 2009
    botcotting means you want nobody else to buy the game either

Roland_tHTG on
    edited June 2009
    nope

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited June 2009
    I like L4D. I didn't feel the original content alone was worth $45-$50. I would've waited for a sale had I known there would be no "major" additions to the game. But I guess holding Valve to their word is entitlement.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead released on time fffffffffffff

MrDelish on
    edited June 2009
    also, I'm not sure if this quote has ever been posted in here, but I'm pretty sure the article it was taken from has.
    "Having a language to describe these things in makes it a lot easier," he explained. He also hints that the characters from the two Left 4 Dead games may meet in the future. "My dream is to have 16 characters, going through the world, having their experiences and their own views." Valve has piles of concepts for characters; the possibilities are limitless.

Sounds to me like there's gonna be at least a couple more [strike]expansion packs[/strike] sequels in the L4D world.

Roland_tHTG on
    edited June 2009
    I like L4D. I didn't feel the original content alone was worth $45-$50. I would've waited for a sale had I known there would be no "major" additions to the game. But I guess holding Valve to their word is entitlement.
    Yea this puts it perfectly. Fuck yall who say "entitlement" in this thread.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited June 2009
    nope

boy·cott (boi'kŏt')
    tr.v. boy·cott·ed, boy·cott·ing, boy·cotts
    To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion. See Synonyms at blackball.
    n. The act or an instance of boycotting.

It's been said before, but I think the real lesson here is to assume the worst when you're spending money. Buying a game at $45-50 when you don't think the content present is worth it based on promises of future content is, in my mind, akin to making a poor investment based on a company promising additional gains in the future.

Then again, I'm personally not upset because I never read that quote/article before I bought the game, so all I really felt was missing was Dead Air and Death Toll Versus maps. That, and at the end of the day, I got my money's worth from Left 4 Dead, and will get my money's worth from full price Left 4 Dead 2.

TwistedFate on
    edited June 2009

Fixed, and limed.

But...but...but...if we make noise now, we'll actually change something, Roland!!!

Dunno how I missed this. And it's very true. But let me ask you this. How many people who have posted in this thread about their disappointment have e-mailed a person that matters about it? That's what'll change things. Not getting pissed at someone on this forum because they feel different from you.

(You not being specifically you TwistedFate)

Roland_tHTG on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heres my view on it. I bought L4D knowing what was included and not even thinking about DLC and what could be added. "Ooooh in the future I might get a few new weapons? Awesome, I'll buy this game." No, I enjoyed the demo and the game appealed to me so I bought it and I'm still playing it now.

Pissed about a new realease because you became bored with the first one? Fine, dont buy the second, simple as that. The only major free DLC that valve had released before L4D was for TF2, so its not like regular steam customers were being shafted by Valve.

People buy Fifa/Madden/NHL year on year regardless of the additions, why should a new installment of a popular PC game which has a lot more new content than those titles be free/reduced?

Just my 2 $texas.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited June 2009
    Heres my view on it. I bought L4D knowing what was included and not even thinking about DLC and what could be added. "Ooooh in the future I might get a few new weapons? Awesome, I'll buy this game." No, I enjoyed the demo and the game appealed to me so I bought it and I'm still playing it now.

Pissed about a new realease because you became bored with the first one? Fine, dont buy the second, simple as that. The only major free DLC that valve had released before L4D was for TF2, so its not like regular steam customers were being shafted by Valve.

People buy Fifa/Madden/NHL year on year regardless of the additions, why should a new installment of a popular PC game which has a lot more new content than those titles be free/reduced?

Just my 2 $texas.

This is the real truth right here.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're all...still...going to buy it

Stop debating this totally retarded point of whether it's worthy of sequel status or not. We haven't even seen half the content.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow. Look at that, the world isn't black and white. There are shades of grey... and I think I see a blue! When did these get here?

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited June 2009
    There will be no dissent.

We are robots

We are robots.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited June 2009

Just my 2 $texas.
    Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow. Look at that, the world isn't black and white. There are shades of grey... and I think I see a blue! When did these get here?

Well in this instance it is. Like L4D but dont wanna pay for lots of new content? Shut the fuck up and carry on playing 1 then. Wanna play new content? Pay for it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal